MAIN FORUM

Comments

• Stewburtx8

• 2012 FanDuel WFBC Finalist

Hello Grinders,

It is almost that wonderful time of the year again….the NCAA Tournament/March Madness is only 9 days away.

I am posting this early this year as last year I got a good response (92 total entries not including rebuys) and I wanted to start collecting a list of entries, email addresses for distribution of picks, and funds via PayPal if you are inclined to start sending them before next week. This pool is open to anyone but there may become a point where I need to cap the total entries as it is very time consuming trying to collect everyone’s picks each day. I doubt I do this though but try to get your interest/fees in early if possible.

This is probably the most fun/interesting pool I have ever done. I think those that participated last year would likely agree as I’ve already been asked by many people if I was running it again. The whole premise came from an article Bill Simmons posted several years ago. Here is the article (I miss Grantland): http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-official-grantland-march-madness-knockout-pool/ . Basically the idea is that you pick 2 straight up winners Thursday of the tournament, 2 straight up winners Friday, 1 straight up winner Saturday, 1 straight up winner Sunday, and then 1 straight up winner every day after that. You cannot use the same team twice throughout the tournament. Pretty simple.

If you lose on Thursday, you CAN rebuy on Friday but you have to pick 4 straight up winners. If you lose on Friday, you can buy back Saturday but you have to pick 5 straight up winners. If you lose on Saturday, you can buy back Sunday but you have to pick 6 straight up winners. No buy backs after that. If you lose or choose not to re-buy and you are eliminated. Obviously you still cannot pick a team more than once throughout the tournament.

The cost of the pool will be $30 per entry this year. 3 max entries per person. To buy back in is also $30. Buy back funds will need to be sent prior to the tip off the following day. The payouts will likely be top 2, but as anyone knows that played last year, ties can certainly happen. For those that did not play last year, we ended with a 13 way tie I believe. That being said, we did have one person free rolling in the Final with Wisconsin. A lot of people had their championship pick eliminated when Kentucky lost. Also, last year had a lot of chalk winners without a ton of upsets. I considered making changes to the pool, but I think this year could bring a lot of craziness as the field is WIDE open.

In the event that all the remaining participants lose on the same day, the will chop the pot. Tiebreakers have been discussed in the past but we just have not been able to come up with something that makes sense or is fair.

Please PM me a while if you are interested. I will also need your email address (and Paypal email address if different) as I will send out everyone’s pick ASAP after tip off of the first game each day. All picks will be due prior to then or you are disqualified. My paypal email address is CJSNYDER1@comcast.net. I will likely ask everyone to send between $29.80 and $31.00 to not trip up the Paypal “gambling pools” sensors. When you send funds PLEASE send “friends and family” and include your RG username in the notes. I will not accept ANY entries this year if the funds have not been sent prior to the games tipping off. It is a fun pool but there is money involved, so try to get your picks in as early as possible and before the tip off of the first game each day. This way I can send out everyone’s picks ASAP. I will try to send my pick(s) out early to a Varncass or Razzle or someone so that no one thinks I am looking at other picks which could effect my own picks.

If you have any questions, please feel free to post them here, PM me, or hit me up on twitter (@Stewburtx8). Thanks for playing! I can’t wait for next week.

EDIT TO ADD: PLEASE GO TO PAGE 12 OF THIS THREAD FOR 2018 VERSION/POST

Rules have not changed other than buy-in is still $30

Neither RotoGrinders.com nor its moderators take responsibility for transactions in this thread. RotoGrinders.com does not endorse this poster and all purchases are made at your own risk. RotoGrinders.com will also not facilitate any transactions.

• Heywood9855

PM sent Stew.

• Razzle11

This was a blast last year and even tying with the whole world at the end it was definitely worth it with the winners share. This year seems to be even more so hectic and should be a blast.

Stew runs a great pool, so hopefully we can increase the # of people this year, but not to too many so that it gives him a headache.

Of course I am in and if you want to send me your picks, feel free to

• plugman

2011 FFFC Finalist

• 2011 FanDuel WFFC Finalist

was in last year, planning on it again. thanks stew

• Stewburtx8

Thanks for the interest so far and those that sent their payments early. I will be out of work golfing tomorrow but will check back in Friday and respond to any questions or new PM’s.

• Slimdalineman

What happens if you get to the elite eight or final four and already used all teams in at that point. Are you than eliminated?
    Read the Grantland rules… Found it
    Sent you pm

• Stewburtx8

Correct. You advance to the next day, but then will be eliminated that day. But if someone else makes a pick that day and loses, you both lost at the same point. For example, several people advanced to the championship game last year but had already used both Duke and Wisconsin. One person had Wisconsin left. But since Duke won, everyone who advanced to the Final game split the pot.

Reminder when sending me a PM, please include your email address so I can start compiling a mailing list for the picks each day. You can send me your picks via email or PM here, or if you prefer, I can give you my phone number for text messages.

• Stewburtx8

Thank you for the continued interest. I will respond to all PM’s tomorrow.

• Razzle11

still have my email from last year or need it again?

• Stewburtx8

@Razzle11 said...

still have my email from last year or need it again?

I got it

• Stewburtx8

I just responded to everyone that has PM’ed me so far and confirmed if funds have been received yet.

Please continue to PM me if interested and please include your email address and Paypal email address if different. Thanks!

• Whynot138

funds sent

• Elz24

any chance you want to run a bigger pool as well? Also pmd you

• Whynot138

@Stewburtx8 said...

I just responded to everyone that has PM’ed me so far and confirmed if funds have been received yet.

Please continue to PM me if interested and please include your email address and Paypal email address if different. Thanks!

my pm access is hosed for some reason they haven’t figured out as of yet. sent funds with my sn in as the memo

• Stewburtx8

@Whynot138 said...

my pm access is hosed for some reason they haven’t figured out as of yet. sent funds with my sn in as the memo

Got it. Thanks.

• Stewburtx8

@Elz24 said...

any chance you want to run a bigger pool as well? Also pmd you

Responded to your PM. This pool is already very time consuming/hectic collecting funds and especially picks prior to tip off (everyone send them as early as you can please!) so I do not think I would have the time to run another one.

• kingofthehill

• Razzle11

Pretty sure I am in for the 3 entries Stew, will be shipping in the next day or so

• Stewburtx8

@Razzle11 said...

Pretty sure I am in for the 3 entries Stew, will be shipping in the next day or so

OK. Thanks.

• BreakingBacon

I’ve sent my money for an entry.

• kingofthehill

do you want each day’s picks PM’d or emailed?

• Stewburtx8

@BreakingBacon said...

I’ve sent my money for an entry.

Got it. Thanks.

• Stewburtx8

@kingofthehill said...

do you want each day’s picks PM’d or emailed?

Whatever is easier for you. If I had to choose, PM is probably easier to track as my email can sometimes be wonky. But I always got picks last year via email as well.

And if anyone would prefer to just text message their picks, send me a PM, as I can accept that as well.

Also, I encourage everyone to send their picks early if possible. I’ve already received several picks for Thursday (and even a few contingent picks for Friday assuming they don’t lose Thursday). With likely over 100+ entries it is a manual process to collect picks. I want to be able to send an email with all the picks to everyone ASAP to keep everything on the up and up. Just know I do my best to get it out right after the first tip off if possible. I think anyone who participated last year would agree the picks were sent out pretty quickly

• mdunne

Hey Stew. I sent the money. Picks will be sent using Michael.dunne97@yahoo.com. thanks for doing this. Great fun.

• Stewburtx8

@mdunne said...

Hey Stew. I sent the money. Picks will be sent using Michael.dunne97@yahoo.com. thanks for doing this. Great fun.

Got it. Thanks!

• BreakingBacon

I’ll send my picks in later today.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-Gambler (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL only.