NBA FORUM

Comments

• bmarksespn1

Did I miss something? I went about 2 months without playing dfs. I’ve been back for a couple of days now and everything was as I remembered it. But as I looked over the nba slate for tomorrow (2/28/17), I noticed that the max entries on DK has changed for low stakes($4 nba 300k four point play) usually it’s 150 entry max, but now it’s showing 20, same for $3 gpps on the turbo and late slates. I’ve looked everywhere for more info this with no luck. It didn’t change for NHL or PGA. Anyone have info this?

• virgosci

@billholler said...

Winning LU had 6 entries. 2nd place had 2 entries. Hate seeing those max entry guys taking down everything.

On the previous page of this thread you said that you “had never seen a non-NFL tournament for $3-4 with even 100 guys that max entered”. It happened the first night after the 20 max cap was lifted, so you must rarely check.

How can you not understand that a 20 max cap is more likely to attract and keep more/new players than a 150 cap?

• billholler

@virgosci said...

On the previous page of this thread you said that you “had never seen a non-NFL tournament for $3-4 with even 100 guys that max entered”. It happened the first night after the 20 max cap was lifted, so you must rarely check.

How can you not understand that a 20 max cap is more likely to attract and keep more/new players than a 150 cap?

How can you not see that the 20 entry max costs the websites the one thing they need to continue to operate….money. Would you rather play your 1-5 lineups against guys that are entering 150 times or not be able to play at all?

• jdelsas

Those 20 max tournaments had almost the exact same player pool as this weekend. It filled with no problem each night, so the 150 vs 20 entry is moot, as they didn’t increase the player pool entry size much at all over the weekend. Do the right thing DK and keep the 20 max structure in place for the smaller $ tournaments.

• mccoolio

Let me preface this by saying I max enter lots of different entry fees, from $3 up to $33 typically…

What I don’t really understand, is why limit the Quarter Arcade to 50, yet the $3+ tourneys are 150 entries? I think there needs to be a uniform limit across the board. The 3% or 150, whichever is greater, I think is a very misguided attempt at a standard for large GPPs. Especially when they don’t follow it for all tourneys (like the QA mentioned previously). Make it the same for all tournaments, and nobody will have any complaints because there will be nothing to compare it to. I wish 20 would be the new max.

• da__derf

@billholler said...

I have never seen a non-NFL tournament for $3-4 with even 100 guys that max entered, let alone 500 of them.

The $3 PGA Birdie on DK regularly gets over 150 people that max enter, and sometimes over 200.

• makeitra1n

They move the max back up to 150 and who do I see?mazwa,ragingphilip,zsavior,etc.but why didn’t I see them the previous week?ehh they must have all been on vacay lol

• superstars92

It seems like you guys think people that SaahilSud who max enter make like a ton from max entering. I’m not 100% sure, but I don’t even think SaahilSud is up (like making a positive ROI) in NBA the last few months. I intentionally go a few nights just to see where his entries end up in like the 300 dollar tourney (which he max enters), and I often see the majority of his max entries not cashing. The ones that do cash only like min cash. I’m sure it’s the same cores he chooses to max enter like the 4 dollar and 27/40/50 dollar tourneys, and I doubt he’s making any money max entering. If anything, it could hurt him max entering because he’s just losing more money from entries.

Furthermore, if you look at the World Fantasy Basketball Qualifiers for the Live Finals, he has 1 qualification. That is way less than like any other year, and I’m sure he also max enters every qualifier and plays in all the highest stake qualifiers.

Oh, and also I don’t see SaahilSud even playing tonight in the 1060, 300, 40, or 4 dollar tourneys…and he usually plays every night. Maybe he realized he lost too much and had to take a break?

Again, I only see a small sample size. I go like every few days just to check, but I never see his max entries make anything.

• hammer74

DK make up your mind is it 20 or 150 i vote for 20 entry max!

• crazypaul

@billholler said...

How can you not see that the 20 entry max costs the websites the one thing they need to continue to operate….money.

I keep seeing you say the sites are losing money by doing this. Dont you think DK did it’s due diligence before making a change like this to see how it would affect it’s income stream? I doubt the people in control of these things over at DK just did this change without any research before hand.

• billholler

@jdelsas said...

Those 20 max tournaments had almost the exact same player pool as this weekend. It filled with no problem each night, so the 150 vs 20 entry is moot, as they didn’t increase the player pool entry size much at all over the weekend. Do the right thing DK and keep the 20 max structure in place for the smaller $ tournaments.

That is absolutely not true and comparing a weekend tournament to a week night tournament is irrelevant. The 20 max tourneys never filled more than 20 minutes prior to lock with an average of about 55,000 less entries compared to tournaments on the same day in previous weeks.

• billholler

@crazypaul said...

I keep seeing you say the sites are losing money by doing this. Dont you think DK did it’s due diligence before making a change like this to see how it would affect it’s income stream? I doubt the people in control of these things over at DK just did this change without any research before hand.

No secret that DK has done numerous things that make no sense. If the 20 max entry tourneys had 40% less total entries, doesn’t take a lot of common sense to figure out that they made less money.

• billholler

BTW the winner of the 4 pointer was a 2 entry train, so basically a single bullet.

• crazypaul

@billholler said...

If the 20 max entry tourneys had 40% less total entries, doesn’t take a lot of common sense to figure out that they made less money.

On that contest, sure. But are you trying to tell me they arent making up for that by adding other contests elsewhere or selling out more spots in the high dollar tournaments that might normally go to overlay? You just seem convinced they are losing money, when I doubt they would make this move if that were the case.

• depalma13

@billholler said...

If the 20 max entry tourneys had 40% less total entries, doesn’t take a lot of common sense to figure out that they made less money.

I think that would depend on the participation of the higher buy-in tournaments.

• billholler

@crazypaul said...

On that contest, sure. But are you trying to tell me they arent making up for that by adding other contests elsewhere or selling out more spots in the high dollar tournaments that might normally go to overlay? You just seem convinced they are losing money, when I doubt they would make this move if that were the case.

The fewer entries was across the board in their most popular tournaments and even included the quarter arcade. The higher entry fee tourneys were completely unchanged and they didn’t add any extra tournaments. If they were going to add an extra tournament, how about a 4 pointer with 20 max entries? Seems like I’ve heard that before somewhere.

• Jeddy3

The 20 limit was the absolute perfect spot for anything $10 or less. When you are playing those stakes, you shouldn’t be going up against someone with $1500 invested. Keep the sharks out of the kiddie pool.

• makeitra1n

Back to 20 tomorrow in the 4 dollar.dk is starting to gain a little more respect.I like that on a 3 gamer.cause obviously 150 lineup people are gonna do FAR better than 5 or 10 lineup people in a short slate

• KindGuy

DK for the fucking win

• WhiteGeneva

One thing I have noticed on FD is the $1 3 entry max tournaments fill very quickly in comparison to other lower priced tournaments. I think the industry might be seeing that low level players are weary to enter tournaments against other players that have 150 entries in the same tournament.

• ulissefc

Wrote about this last week coming from the eyes of the common player who works a day job but still loves DFS. I’ve been trying to get into writing and just saved it in a word document on my computer but i’ll paste below in case anyone is interested in giving feedback whether good or bad so i can improve my writing. Here it is:

Swimming with the sharks is tough. For the longest time common players, like myself, have been struggling to keep our heads above water battling it out with the industry stalwarts. There’s a multitude of things that draw people towards daily fantasy sports. If you love watching sports then having a little action on the games makes it that much better. You’ll watch a fucking Charlotte Hornets game for God’s sake if you somehow rostered Kemba Walker or Nicholas Batum in your lineup. You see a contest with $300k in guaranteed prizes with the top spot taking home $25k+ on any given day and think, “tonight could be my night.” Now that may be true to a degree, but the top 1% of players net X% of the total prizes in aggregate. Luckily, the knowledge gap has closed immensely over the years with both free and premium content from sites like Roto Grinders and Fantasy Labs. The issue is no longer knowing who to play and who to fade; you can get plenty of opinions and analysis all over the web. The issue for the common player is the logistics of the actual contests.

My favorite contest is the $4 Four Point Play on DK. This contest is great because you don’t need to risk too much money and you can also afford to play multiple lineups (yeah I know there are single entries but that’s fucking boring) if you choose. Although that may seem all good and well for the average player, some might overlook the fact that the maximum number of entries for a given player was previously 150. Someone playing 150 lineups has a much better chance to win tournaments than someone playing under 10 lineups—obviously. And if you want to max out that tournament with entries to close that disadvantage that’ll burn a quick $600 in your account. That’s way out of most players’ bankroll, mine included. Most people play what they can afford so that they can continue playing and having fun. The industry big wigs do this for a living and shell that out no problem. And that’s nothing against them. They’ve been grinding it out for years to get to their current status. Why wouldn’t they give themselves the best odds to take down tournies? But say you do have the bankroll available; do you have the time to sit there and create and revise 150 lineups as news comes out throughout the course of the day?

If you work a day job this is nearly impossible. Sure there are multi lineup optimization tools available that can crank out lineups instantaneously, but even those tools can’t fully analyze things like a human. I may not want a power forward and center from the same team because they carry a negative correlation, but a lineup optimizer will often just build off of raw point projections. You may wind up with 3-4 players from the same team with no one from the opposing team but does that make actual sense? Not really. If you’re going to be heavily invested in a game you’re more often than not going to want that exposure split between the teams playing. The ability to generate lineups quickly doesn’t mean you’ll have time to skim through and analyze things. That’s why DraftKings’ recent change to make the Four Point Play tournament a max of 20 entries per player is so exciting for the guys like me. The logistical disadvantage has finally been mitigated if not eliminated entirely.

This new 20 entry tournament hits a sweet spot of size and practicality. Although the change prevents massive amounts of entries from being taken at once from a given player, the size of guaranteed money is (currently) remaining the same. If I want to play 20 lineups that will only cost me $80 and I’ll know that I’m as equally invested as anyone. Nobody has a volume advantage on me anymore. Better yet, this somewhat eliminates the time element required to manicure lineups. Don’t get me wrong, you’ll need to plan throughout the day and have a good idea of what you want to do, if not having preliminary lineups already set, but the time required to construct 20 lineups is drastically lower than what’s needed to comb through 150 lineups. All this said, I’m not an idiot. I know the sharks are the sharks for a reason and one way or another the still have the edge. They do this for a living. This contest change is a breath of fresh air though. It’s given the common player a little something back. Will we ever be able to do this for a living? Probably not. But will this give us better odds to increase our profits and prolong our bankrolls? Most definitely; at least I think so. This change will both increase our chances to win tournaments as well as profit on any given night. That, or this contest will show me that even with the playing field as even as ever I’m just bad at DFS. Either way, this contest has me excited. So thank you DraftKings. It’s about fucking time you threw a bone our way.

• billholler

@ulissefc said...

Although the change prevents massive amounts of entries from being taken at once from a given player, the size of guaranteed money is (currently) remaining the same

That is absolutely not true. The total guaranteed money and number of total entries have been reduced by almost 40%. I will continue to play no matter what they decide to do but the constant use of completely false statements (alternative facts) to justify this change has become comical. If they are taking away 40% of the prize pool, that means they are also taking away 40% of their income. Makes no sense. People that were maxing out at $4 aren’t going to suddenly start maxing out at $20 per entry.

Same thing I said in the late swap thread, DK and FD are going to piss off enough people that eventually a company with huge financial backing will come along after DK and FD have eaten all the legal fees and totally dominate the market. Then DK and FD will be nothing more than a memory.

• franciscolora

Such a poorly run company… The same people who made the operating decisions that resulted DK to be in the red for so many years are the same people who are making these decisions.. Let’s just make less money as a company.. And on top of that, let’s take money away from people who depend on it for a living so we can accommodate those who complain that they don’t win when they make lineups at happy hour on their phones.. Pathetic

• smalhot1

Im tight ive been a multi entry player all year and have alot of success besides getting my booty handed to me the past 3 months im sure other sharks are dealing with the same thing.

I do this part time and have a great job.
    20 entries is boring ass hell, and im def switching to fanduel hope they have no bs like this. Are we a bunch of children here? 20 entries baaa. GL making anything only reason why i binked second for 15k was because I maxed if you think you can consistently win without maxing you are coo-koo for cocoa puffs. Theres so many variables that you need to account for that having 150 different variations is the only way to go.

i hope all mass entry low stake players also migrate to fanduel

• smalhot1

The only people who are happy are players in debt who dont have the ability to manage a large number of lineups as well as having the balls to throw up 600 after losing 600 the night before. Oh please!! Lets all accomodate the broke poor dfs players who suck why dont we. You cant win because your scared and suck get over it

Please explain how you can win with only 20 entries each night theres a group of around 40-50 +ev players thats a shit ton of permutations how can you win with 20 please explain?? It would take 7.5x longer now? Jesus

• Lathum

It blows my mind just how stupid some of you are that you think under the current system new money to feed the sharks is going to keep flowing in.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).