4:05 PM EST : LA Angels ( -127 ) at Oakland ( 117 ) —- T: 8.5
    4:10 PM EST : Philadelphia ( -124 ) at Atlanta ( 115 ) —- T: 8
    4:10 PM EST : Washington ( -185 ) at Cincinnati ( 170 ) —- T: 8.5
    4:10 PM EST : Milwaukee ( -110 ) at San Diego ( 102 ) —- T: 8
    4:15 PM EST : Chi Sox ( 141 ) at Kansas City ( -153 ) —- T: 9
    7:08 PM EST : SF Giants ( 251 ) at LA Dodgers ( -277 ) —- T: 7
    10:10 PM EST : Cleveland ( -175 ) at Seattle ( 161 ) —- T: 7.5
    10:10 PM EST : Colorado ( -106 ) at Arizona ( -102 ) —- T: 9

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – MLB strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterdays games will be moved to yesterdays MLB thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted..

• RandysCrow

@bobbbb said...

Is Frazier definitely a starter for Pitt?

At DH for the first series as they are playing away against an AL team. Should be batting lead off.

• FantasySultan

@RandysCrow said...

At DH for the first series as they are playing away against an AL team. Should be batting lead off.

Awesome. Thanks

• Olhausen

It’s almost here!! Man do I love the baseball season and playing Dfs everyday for 6 months straight. Last season was my 3rd season playing and I made vast improvements having my most profitable season by far. I’ll probably only toss a few lineup’s in for Thursday’s games as a warm up before going full bore on Friday. Good luck to everyone this season!

• bigbmp

Taking baseball serious this season, will be doing my homework.

In regards to games and profitability what in your opinion is the best way to play baseball to have a winning season? GPP, 50/50, heads up, etc

Thanks

• thedkexperience

@bigbmp said...

In regards to games and profitability what in your opinion is the best way to play baseball to have a winning season? GPP, 50/50, heads up, etc

Thanks

According to Fan Duel I averaged 121 points per game last year so, while not a stud at this, I’m certainly ok at least.

Anyway, my general strategy – and I say this as a strict GPP NFL and NBA guy – is to use a “GPP lineup” in cash games in baseball.

Look for 40 from my SP, and then 2 stacks of players who can combine for 40 each. I don’t care if each stack goes 3-0-24-13 or 10-10-10-10 as long as it adds up to 40.

I’ll then throw $5 or less into a GPP just in case I cart a 200 magically.

Personally there are so many great players in baseball who can get a zero and spot starting bench players who can unexpectedly go for 30+ that I think calling anyone “a safe cash play” is a bit silly. Sure, it’s safer playing Mike Trout than Jose Reyes but only by a small percentage on a day to day basis. It’s certainly not the same as choosing JR Smith instead of LeBron for example.

Anyway that’s how I attack it. Just don’t mess up your starting pitcher.

Oh, two more things. I hope you enjoy the weather channel and wait till the lineups come out to set your lineup. When people say they have a player locked in at 8am I always shake my head. A great matchup is good and all but if you expect someone to bat 3rd and they are 7th that’s a whole different story. Good luck, hope this helps!

• RandysCrow

@thedkexperience said...

Anyway that’s how I attack it. Just don’t mess up your starting pitcher.

Oh, two more things. I hope you enjoy the weather channel and wait till the lineups come out to set your lineup. When people say they have a player locked in at 8am I always shake my head. A great matchup is good and all but if you expect someone to bat 3rd and they are 7th that’s a whole different story. Good luck, hope this helps!

Do you also tend to roster away teams more often, as they are guaranteed to get at bats in the 9th?

And I would say it is a given but to target the top 6 players of a teams batting order.

But this is my first year playing DFS baseball so take it for what its worth!

• rog11sm

man my 1st build has me using 5 Yankees a brewer/oriole and a nat(if not rained out). Welcome back baseball

• mellofellowsu

Anyone that played a lot of FD baseball last season, what would you estimate the average score to cash and win a GPP would be?

• ChaosM83

@RandysCrow said...

Do you also tend to roster away teams more often, as they are guaranteed to get at bats in the 9th?

And I would say it is a given but to target the top 6 players of a teams batting order.

I think targeting an away team is over rated. If the home team goes out and scores 10 runs, then that extra AB probably won’t be needed. If you think a team is going to score the most runs in a night, or going to hit HR’s then it doesn’t really matter if they are home or not.

That is just my personal opinion on it.

As for targeting the top 6… you tend to do that because that is where the better players are, that is where the production comes from. But that doesn’t mean it is a must, people can run wrap around stacks 9-1-2-3.

• jtkucheck

@thedkexperience said...

A great matchup is good and all but if you expect someone to bat 3rd and they are 7th that’s a whole different story.

I can’t think of many instances where someone who regularly hits 3rd would for some reason hit 7th.

Your point is valid, but hitters still have their skill sets regardless of lineup spot. The increase in expected points is not linear in the way that a min priced point guard subbing in for a resting starter is. It is a slight advantage for a 7 hitter to hit 2nd, and a moderate one for bench guy to be in the lineup, but absent some substantial and proven platoon advantage, replacement hitters are a lot less valuable than their every day player counterparts.

• thedkexperience

@RandysCrow said...

I certainly consider it. Definitely not a hard and fast rule but certainly worthy of a tie breaker at least.

Also, don’t be afraid to do something like an 8-9-1-2 American League stack. It’s a good way to diversify your lineup from the pack.

Absorb everything, consider anything but don’t be a slave to any one thing. Things like line drive percentage or BvP splits are important but don’t be so rigid to think that someone having a 0.03% advantage in a category means the advantage will come up today.

At the end of the day we’re still essentially playing a game of guess the homerun. How you get to that homerun is up to you and most of the fun.

• thedkexperience

@mellofellowsu said...

Anyone that played a lot of FD baseball last season, what would you estimate the average score to cash and win a GPP would be?

They will vary wildly on a slate to slate basis but in a full slate with good pitchers – and without Scooter Gennett hitting 4 homers – 120 is usually more than enough to cash in 50-50s. Anecdotally I’d venture a guess that you’re gonna need to be about 200 to start considering a GPP win. Some days less, some days way more.

Normally I’d look for 40 from a SP, but a day when Kershaw is the top option will score differently from a day when Sabathia is. To take down a GPP my guess is 60 from your SP is gonna need to happen minimum.

If you do that now you just need to find about 7 homeruns and you’re golden.

• MrPerfekt7

Thank god Baseball is back and happy for the global swap to be back

• txdave41

@bigbmp said...

Thanks

I took a look at the winning GPP lineup on opening day last year. The guy nailed a pitcher with a QS, 4 batters hitting home runs and two batter having double home runs. The odds have to be astronomical to nail all that in one lineup. Sober reminder that MLB is hard as hell.

• eatmyturf23

Are bendogg705 and robjeffdogg1 in collusion? Why do I see them together in a lot of low $ 10-man contests in FD for MLB yet not in the same 3-man contests? I have no other reason to think this except for the duplication of “dogg” and them appearing together in 10+man contests. Others like cinthree seem to sprinkle themselves around more broadly.

• eatmyturf23

@johnfoster8 said...

.TV

If you have T-Mobile you can get it for free again. They explicitly said you can’t use MLB.tv with another carrier’s phone this time. It’s kinda messy, since you can use it with a PC over WiFi, but not another phone even on WiFi, but whatever. Last year was a total mess, and people got banned from MLB.tv without proper cause and MLB phone reps didn’t give a rats ass and treated T-Mobile customers (like me) like total crap when we called in to get help.

• ryshack

So is everything premium now? Not a single season preview not premium

• bucherpsu08

If you are playing the early slate, stack Pirates.

• HoustonAstros

Wawoo Great

• Ronboogie6

Anybody know when plate IQ will be up?

• tonedefrob

Well, there’s one game eliminated from the slate. Nats/Reds postponed until Friday.

• BRW73

Pirates and yanks lineups already out for tomorrow.

• TheRyanFlaherty

Thank you Reds…I guess?
    Takes away one major decision I was struggling with. And I suppose I appreciate that decision doesn’t have to come down to anxiously checking weather updates.

• acdawg712

Had a feeling that this may happen but still pretty annoying since I was going pretty heavy on the nats and will have re-evaluate pretty hard now. Better now than tomorrow though.

• OneShotKill17

Really interested in the O’s and Twins game, a lefty or 2 from the Min side and a Baltimore stack.

Assume Astros/Yanks just picked up a good bit of ownership.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).