1:10 PM EST : Cleveland ( -121 ) at Detroit ( 112 ) —- T: 7.5
    1:15 PM EST : Seattle ( -126 ) at Kansas City ( 116 ) —- T: 10.5
    1:15 PM EST : LA Dodgers ( -141 ) at St. Louis ( 130 ) —- T: 8.5
    7:10 PM EST : Toronto ( 176 ) at Boston ( -191 ) —- T: 9.5
    7:20 PM EST : NY Mets ( 112 ) at Atlanta ( -121 ) —- T: 8.5
    8:05 PM EST : Pittsburgh ( 123 ) at Chi Cubs ( -133 ) —- T: —
    9:40 PM EST : San Diego ( 0 ) at Arizona ( 0 ) —- T: —
    9:45 PM EST : Colorado ( -122 ) at SF Giants ( 113 ) —- T: 7.5

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – MLB strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterdays games will be moved to yesterdays MLB thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted..

• moosedrool

@moosedrool said...

You’re telling me Jays don’t have someone to hit for Brito?

And then McKinney swinging at a 2-0 pitch with bases loaded? Montoya not making real great decisions. He’s a Rays guy, so wish him well, but Jaysus, baseball 101.

• cjs5555

best writeup i can find on avila so far from Aug 2017:

This was Avila’s fifth double-digit strikeout game this year and his second in the last three starts, as he K’d 18 at Great Lakes on August 8th. A stocky 5-foot-11, Avila doesn’t have a huge fastball, sitting mostly 91-93 and dipping just beneath that from the stretch, but he frequently demonstrates pinpoint command of it, working to both his arm and glove sides. That gets Avila ahead in the count and sets up his deep-diving curveball, which bites enough to miss bats in the strike zone as well as below it. He also flashes a plus changeup. Avila began the year in High-A and struggled to throw strikes (but not miss bats) there for nine starts before a demotion. He has 102 strikeouts in 74.2 innings since then. Avila was acquired during Winter Meetings from Washington in exchange for Derek Norris.

• moosedrool

@TimmerRC said...

I just checked their bench, and… no, they actually don’t, lol.

lol, you’re right

• rog11sm

Man they’re going to call that Cubs game and quintana is going to get a complete game shutout bonus

• TimmerRC

C’mon Devers…

• cjs5555

@rog11sm said...

Man they’re going to call that Cubs game and quintana is going to get a complete game shutout bonus

DK should really fix this loophole

• TimmerRC

@TimmerRC said...

C’mon Devers…

Alright Freeman, now you…

• Unico10

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #98

RG Tiered Ranking

@cjs5555 said...

best writeup i can find on avila so far from Aug 2017:

This was Avila’s fifth double-digit strikeout game this year and his second in the last three starts, as he K’d 18 at Great Lakes on August 8th. A stocky 5-foot-11, Avila doesn’t have a huge fastball, sitting mostly 91-93 and dipping just beneath that from the stretch, but he frequently demonstrates pinpoint command of it, working to both his arm and glove sides. That gets Avila ahead in the count and sets up his deep-diving curveball, which bites enough to miss bats in the strike zone as well as below it. He also flashes a plus changeup. Avila began the year in High-A and struggled to throw strikes (but not miss bats) there for nine starts before a demotion. He has 102 strikeouts in 74.2 innings since then. Avila was acquired during Winter Meetings from Washington in exchange for Derek Norris.

He looks to have great control.

First inning he was too careful probably nervous
    Balsley fixed him…. not sure why Balsley has not been picked up by one of the big ball clubs.
    He is the Padres pitching… esp bullpen
    For years Padres have been trading his work for prospects and 90% of padres pitchers fail when they go somewhere else

• cjs5555

@Unico10 said...

Balsley fixed him…. not sure why Balsley has not been picked up by one of the big ball clubs.
    He is the Padres pitching… esp bullpen
    For years Padres have been trading his work for prospects and 90% of padres pitchers fail when they go somewhere else

now if only they could find a hitting coach

• cjs5555

godley now throwing this knuckle curve almost exclusively. at some point you’d think big league hitters could catch up to the same pitch over and over

• cjs5555

avila threw 29 pitches in 1st, settled down now 3 more IP w/ 3 more Ks on only 37 pitches

• TimmerRC

Yup, he’s recovered from the opening nicely

• cjs5555

@TimmerRC said...

Yup, he’s recovered from the opening nicely

my only point is that it looks like there is some potential value in this guy if he gets more starts, depending on matchup of course. i’d probably not play him against lineups with multiple competent LHBs as it looks like he isn’t comfortable throwing the changeup much yet.

• cjs5555

there’s that austin hedges HR i was hoping for

• mr_papageorgio

Yup, should have kept Quintana. Dammit Godley!

• cjs5555

@mr_papageorgio said...

Yup, should have kept Quintana. Dammit Godley!

had godley on my season long teams the past few years. never seen a guy do less with more.

• moosedrool

@cjs5555 said...

there’s that austin hedges HR i was hoping for

one of the few Padres I didn’t play. hopefully Manny will get two more ab’s

• cjs5555

@moosedrool said...

one of the few Padres I didn’t play. hopefully Manny will get two more ab’s

i was back and forth between him and posey, figured i was going heavy SD so why not hedges, maybe he can hit one out in that ballpark.

• Unico10

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #98

RG Tiered Ranking

Have Hedges in the little night contest but not in my Padres stack in the $19… 🤷🏻‍♂️

• moosedrool

needs some runs here for Jeff

• cjs5555

so do we think samardzija is good again? or just soft matchups to start the season?

i’m leaning toward the latter

• Unico10

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #98

RG Tiered Ranking

@moosedrool said...

needs some runs here for Jeff

Had 100% Gray-Samardzja all day
    Ended up playing mostly Gray-Musgrove and Gray-Gausman
    Worried about pitch count but forgot the Rockies on the road is a team to pick on

• Unico10

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #98

RG Tiered Ranking

@cjs5555 said...

so do we think samardzija is good again? or just soft matchups to start the season?

i’m leaning toward the latter

Yeah. Is the Rockies

• moosedrool

Gonna come down to Manny’s at bat for me. Either I have a real decent night or average. Not bitchin’, though.

• dsoglin33

Escobar comin through

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).