7:07 PM EST : Milwaukee ( 193 ) at Toronto ( -211 ) —- T: 9
    7:10 PM EST : Atlanta ( 110 ) at Miami ( -119 ) —- T: 8.5
    7:10 PM EST : Baltimore ( 124 ) at Boston ( -134 ) —- T: 9.5
    8:05 PM EST : LA Dodgers ( 126 ) at Chi Cubs ( -136 ) —- T: —
    8:15 PM EST : Oakland ( 102 ) at Kansas City ( -110 ) —- T: 8.5
    10:07 PM EST : Texas ( 126 ) at LA Angels ( -136 ) —- T: 8.5
    10:10 PM EST : Houston ( -119 ) at Seattle ( 110 ) —- T: 8.5
    10:15 PM EST : Arizona ( 109 ) at SF Giants ( -118 ) —- T: 8

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – MLB strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterdays games will be moved to yesterdays MLB thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted. Please make it a point to say if you’re talking about Cash or GPP options.

• Philito12

Are there positions u don’t usually pay up for, or like usually pay down. I feel like I’m ALWAYS looking for a 2200-2500 catcher

• Philito12

@jtkucheck said...

It depends how many lineups you are playing. If you are playing one, having a Mets stack, while contrarian (esp on a Coors slate), will be -EV more often than not. If you don’t mind drawing dead for the day, you can continue to do this, as one big score will make up for plenty of misses. However, if you are playing 20 lineups, you should probably include 3-5 low probability stacks depending on the situations they are in, for precisely this scenario, knowing that you’ll likely make these up from your more optimal lineups if chalk hits and contrarian stacks flop.

That said… I went Brewers, Marlins and D-Backs as my low ownership stacks last night and had 0% Cespedes. This isn’t a thing you will get right every day, or even most days.

I feel that. So like if a lower tier team like Philly or San Diego has a matchup u really think is favorable, it might behoove u to stack them in one as they will prolly have low ownership?

• Tnjkoch221

@Orty1370 said...

Anybody know anything about Kyle Higashioka? Only 2K on FanDuel…low risk play either way.

His first career start, catching a pitcher also making his debut. I’m liking cheap Rays hitters more now.

• Supersharpie

@Philito12 said...

Are there positions u don’t usually pay up for, or like usually pay down. I feel like I’m ALWAYS looking for a 2200-2500 catcher

I will spend up for Grandal many times as well as Posey if he is facing a southpaw. Otherwise I usually punt at C.

• jtkucheck

@Philito12 said...

I feel that. So like if a lower tier team like Philly or San Diego has a matchup u really think is favorable, it might behoove u to stack them in one as they will prolly have low ownership?

It’s more nuanced than that, but that’s the general idea.

Targets like this will almost always be priced well and have low ownership, allowing you to afford top tier pitching. But you want to look for situational boosts, such as being the visiting team (guaranteeing 9 innings of ABs), facing a fly ball pitcher with a high hard contact rate, playing in a small ballpark, plenty of hitters with platoon advantage (while being mindful of reverse split pitchers), wind blowing out in the proper direction to have a positive effect on your platoon advantaged hitters, and hitters that hit the ball in the air more than they do on the ground. Rarely will all of these things be true at once, but when you start to see enough of these boxes checked, it may be worth a stack.

• Stangs13

Can someone please clarify this for me. When people say “Chalk” are we talking about the highest owned players or the highest scoring players? I see the word used all the time and always thought it was an ownership percentage thing but so many people use it for the highest scoring player

• jfendler

@Tnjkoch221 said...

His first career start, catching a pitcher also making his debut. I’m liking cheap Rays hitters more now.

It appears these two have worked together quite often in the minors. Lots of familiarity here:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/kyle-higashioka-insight-yankees-starter-jordan-montgomery-article-1.3043925

• AntsTwin

@Stangs13 said...

Can someone please clarify this for me. When people say “Chalk” are we talking about the highest owned players or the highest scoring players? I see the word used all the time and always thought it was an ownership percentage thing but so many people use it for the highest scoring player

“Chalk” is referring to ownership.

• hcassidy

@Ndepompei said...

Why is jose Ramirez not eligible at 2B? How often does DK adjust eligibility?

Not sure they will ever adjust him, Kipnis is about a week out, so that will shift him back to 3rd/OF

• Supersharpie

@jfendler said...

It appears these two have worked together quite often in the minors. Lots of familiarity here:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/kyle-higashioka-insight-yankees-starter-jordan-montgomery-article-1.3043925

Exactly, if anything having him catching should make you reconsider including Rays bats in you LUs.

• IrishCarBomb9

@Stangs13 said...

Chalk is who everyone projects to be the highest owned player(s) because they think they will be the highest scoring player(s).

• bigsmoot2

So who is fading Max on the afternoon slate? Forewarning here that I am going with him, so you have been warned and may want to look elsewhere. :)

• IrishCarBomb9

I have a question for long time MLB DFS guys…if there is a good pitching matchup in a big ballpark (ex: Kershaw-MadBum) is it smart to roster both pitchers even though you’re guaranteeing that both can’t get the win? Assume you can make it work with salary and obviously on 2 pitcher site like DK. I feel like their upside is too much to worry about an extra few point bonus for a win but just wondering what some experienced successful players think about this.

• Monty1507

Is it better to do stacks or chase for the homeruns?

• scruffylookingme

Newbie here. General strategy in GPPs – is it better to have a cheaper stack and pay up for pitchers or have a more expensive stack and pay down for pitchers? I have been doing the latter with not great results because I keep waiting for the Rockies/Coors Field stack to go off. Yesterday had nice pitching from Boyd and Gio and it was wasted on a sub par effort from the Rockies (even with the three HRs).

• Lathum

@Philito12 said...

The problem with this is that is what most people do, punt catcher.

I will often pay up for catcher knowing I will likely get that guy at lower ownership than a 1B/ OF with a similar skill set. Likewise I don’t mind paying down for a 1B, worked great last night with Duda.

If you want to take down a GPP you have to do something with your roster that makes if unique.

• mlapensee

@Philito12 said...

Unfortunately I went with approach in last night’s late slate on FD and it cost me … a lot. I liked Lucroy against Skaggs but also liked Correa against Miranda. Since I couldn’t use both due to roster config, I went with Maldanado at C and Correa over Lucroy and Andrus at SS. This was a 56 point mistake. It cost me a top 5 finish. Live and learn. I’m not salty at all.

• Lathum

@scruffylookingme said...

Newbie here. General strategy in GPPs – is it better to have a cheaper stack and pay up for pitchers or have a more expensive stack and pay down for pitchers? I have been doing the latter with not great results because I keep waiting for the Rockies/Coors Field stack to go off. Yesterday had nice pitching from Boyd and Gio and it was wasted on a sub par effort from the Rockies (even with the three HRs).

This is a pretty general question, and IMO dependent on the teams. The problem is everyone pays down for pitching and stacks coors so your lineup is going to be the same as many others. Take Monday fo example. The kid pitching for Pittsburg on FD cost 4400. HE was 25% owned so that everyone could fit in Coors bats, which in turn were highly owned. It isn’t ea great strategy when you are basilica sharing a lineup with 10K other people.

I think the strategy of a cheaper pitcher works better when the ownership will be spread out but you really like a team like the Red Sox, Rangers, Jays, etc…

• hautalak

• x2

2021 Blogger of the Month

@IrishCarBomb9 said...

I have a question for long time MLB DFS guys…if there is a good pitching matchup in a big ballpark (ex: Kershaw-MadBum) is it smart to roster both pitchers even though you’re guaranteeing that both can’t get the win? Assume you can make it work with salary and obviously on 2 pitcher site like DK. I feel like their upside is too much to worry about an extra few point bonus for a win but just wondering what some experienced successful players think about this.

This worked out pretty well the other day with Verlander and Sale.

• FidelCashflow

Will the MLB DFS L’s stop today. Maybe?

• PhoFever

Coors has been fool’s gold so far this year.

• RecEm2014

Something tells me Freeland today in GPP

• Jacobkaiser1325

Fulmer or Salazar? gpp

• SzymonK

You can’t predict who’s gonna have a good day at bat.

MLB is a hit or Miss.

Its not like NBA where the players will perform their value. You can have a OF guy 4800 and have a Zero, in NBA you rarely get a 10,000 player and get a zero unless he doesn’t play.

• draped

@jtkucheck said...

It depends how many lineups you are playing. If you are playing one, having a Mets stack, while contrarian (esp on a Coors slate), will be -EV more often than not. If you don’t mind drawing dead for the day, you can continue to do this, as one big score will make up for plenty of misses. However, if you are playing 20 lineups, you should probably include 3-5 low probability stacks depending on the situations they are in, for precisely this scenario, knowing that you’ll likely make these up from your more optimal lineups if chalk hits and contrarian stacks flop.

That said… I went Brewers, Marlins and D-Backs as my low ownership stacks last night and had 0% Cespedes. This isn’t a thing you will get right every day, or even most days.

this is not true at all. EDIT: and I mean the mets being a -EV play yesterday.

mets had one of the best matchups yesterday. they were vs a horrible pitcher with as high SIERA, a low GB/FB ratio in a tiny ballpark with warm weather. add in the fact that the PHI bullpen is garbage again. and they all are FB hitters with high ISO/wOBA vs RHP. not to mention they were all pretty cheap comparitively. I was able to roster 3 mets + Blackmon/arenado in my cash lineups. I don’t think playing mets was a -EV play at all especially since u could easily fit coors pieces too and there weren’t any high end pitching studs.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).