7:05 PM EST : Tampa Bay ( -121 ) at Baltimore ( 112 ) —- T: 8.5
    7:40 PM EST : Cincinnati ( -107 ) at Milwaukee ( -101 ) —- T: 8.5
    8:05 PM EST : Minnesota ( 122 ) at Texas ( -132 ) —- T: 9.5
    8:10 PM EST : Kansas City ( -106 ) at Chi Sox ( -102 ) —- T: 7.5
    8:40 PM EST : Washington ( -114 ) at Colorado ( 105 ) —- T: 11
    9:40 PM EST : San Diego ( 160 ) at Arizona ( -174 ) —- T: 9
    10:07 PM EST : Toronto ( 114 ) at LA Angels ( -123 ) —- T: 8
    10:15 PM EST : LA Dodgers ( -148 ) at SF Giants ( 136 ) —- T: 8

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – MLB strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterdays games will be moved to yesterdays MLB thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted..

• noddy

Garrett and VarGOAT for me. They have won me money this season and I’m playing them until they fall apart. That might be tonight, but I’ll take my chances. Allows me to get some great bats in my lineup including Coors bats. This is for cash games.

• Philito12

Rookie question: Do you guys prefer stacks to just guys from different teams. I usually stack and mostly just double up or get my entry fee back. But Friday I had all diff teams and finished 361st outta 51k. Just a fluke or is putting all ur eggs in one teams basket on the lower % of working out. thanks.

• draped

@Barnold89 said...

If that’s the case I like righties today. Just pop over to fangraphs and take a look at turners page

if you look at the standard statistics it looks like he is much better vs lefties than righties, but if you look at the advanced stats it appears that he is just luckier vs lefties and is due for some regression.

vs LHB (.261/.346/.381) and vs RHB (.295/.354/.510) for his career

but

vs LHB (1.3% K-BB%, .286 BABIP, 4.76 xFIP, 7.6% HR/FB) and vs RHB (9.9% K-BB%, .329 BABIP, 4.21 xFIP, 14.1% HR/FB)

he does give up a little more hard contact to righties, but IMO it looks like he is not actually a reverse splits guy.

• Yacht67

People are saying Vargas is a trap. But I think garret might be have a greater chance of getting pommeled.

• draped

@Yacht67 said...

People are saying Vargas is a trap. But I think garret might be have a greater chance of getting pommeled.

IMO if we are talking about cash, no pitcher on this slate is safe. they all have something that can make them a “trap”. its going to come down to what factors do you more heavily weigh and how much risk do you want in your cash lineup that is going to lead to your pitching pairing today. Adding to the headache is the fact there are soooooo many good expensive bats today that you can pay up for.

EDIT: and for GPPs, good luck! hah I think ownerships will play a huge role just bc there are a bunch of pitchers that are very similar.

• YUUNGMOOLAHH

• Blogger of the Month

Like almost any slate, there will be a pitching star or two by the end of the night. This one isn’t easy, but these are the slates where research and digging deep into the numbers should provide an advantage.

IMO, Hyun-Jin Ryu will be one of those guys tonite, a guy who people aren’t too familiar with but those who know of him will recall that he is a highly skilled pitcher who just hasn’t stayed healthy. The Giants are ice cold and reeling after getting swept in Colorado and losing MadBum for many weeks, and I’m expecting Ryu to keep the Giants bats in the freezer with a gem tonight, overpaying on DK ain’t easy, but for me, it might be necessary as 1 of my 2 Ps in GPPs 2nite. On FD, I love Ryu in both formats.

• thebimonster

People religiously throw out the term “trap” all the time, just to throw shade on someone who is in a great spot (or someone who has been crushing it lately). There seems to be no data to back these claims up, and yes, they MAY be right once in a while, but I just never buy into the “trap” theory for DFS. My theory is, play guys who are hot and in great spots. If I get burned, at least I made the right call. The “fade because he is a trap” theory is never the right call (or very rarely is).

EDIT: You can fade because of the ownership percentage theory, but I would love someone to explain the trap theory to me and why it works. These are two very different philosophies.

• Razzle11

@YUUNGMOOLAHH said...

Like almost any slate, there will be a pitching star or two by the end of the night. This one isn’t easy, but these are the slates where research and digging deep into the numbers should provide an advantage.

IMO, Hyun-Jin Ryu will be one of those guys tonite, a guy who people aren’t too familiar with but those who know of him will recall that he is a highly skilled pitcher who just hasn’t stayed healthy. The Giants are ice cold and reeling after getting swept in Colorado and losing MadBum for many weeks, and I’m expecting Ryu to keep the Giants bats in the freezer with a gem tonight, overpaying on DK ain’t easy, but for me, it might be necessary as 1 of my 2 Ps in GPPs 2nite. On FD, I love Ryu in both formats.

The issue is Ryu has been getting smacked around. and by smacked around, I mean he has given up 6 home runs already this season and 3 of them came in Dodger Stadium, which is definitely a pitcher’s park. That DK price tag is just too ridiculous

• saulgoodman

RG Overall Ranking

it’s called a “trap” because clowns like you get “trapped” into playing them. pretty much answered your own question mate

• draped

@YUUNGMOOLAHH said...

IMO, Hyun-Jin Ryu will be one of those guys tonite, a guy who people aren’t too familiar with but those who know of him will recall that he is a highly skilled pitcher who just hasn’t stayed healthy. The Giants are ice cold and reeling after getting swept in Colorado and losing MadBum for many weeks, and I’m expecting Ryu to keep the Giants bats in the freezer with a gem tonight, overpaying on DK ain’t easy, but for me, it might be necessary as 1 of 2 in GPPs 2nite. On FD, I love Ryu in both formats.

my problem with Ryu is that he just doesn’t have the ceiling for a 10k+ pitcher on DK. especially when you can target batts vs Turner pitching in Coors, Martin/Hughes pitching in Texas, chacin pitching in Arizona, Garza pitching in Milwaukee. There are so many expensive bats that by spending 10k on a guy who has a low floor and a low ceiling (compared to his salary) you are also creating a huge opportunity cost in your lineup. just my opinion, Ryu will definitely be super super low owned so if you are right then big money for you.

• Barnold89

@draped said...

if you look at the standard statistics it looks like he is much better vs lefties than righties, but if you look at the advanced stats it appears that he is just luckier vs lefties and is due for some regression.

vs LHB (.261/.346/.381) and vs RHB (.295/.354/.510) for his career

but

vs LHB (1.3% K-BB%, .286 BABIP, 4.76 xFIP, 7.6% HR/FB) and vs RHB (9.9% K-BB%, .329 BABIP, 4.21 xFIP, 14.1% HR/FB)

he does give up a little more hard contact to righties, but IMO it looks like he is not actually a reverse splits guy.

Noted. Imo the numbers tell a story of a pitcher that has steadily improved over his career against lhb. Still gets knocked around by rhb. One could make a case for blackmon… But that’s about it when it comes to Rockies lefties. At Coors. Spot starter? I’ll take my chances on a couple of righties.

• draped

@Barnold89 said...

Imo the numbers tell a story of a pitcher that has steadily improved over his career against lhb.

can you expand on this? im always interested to hear differing opinions (especially about guys I don’t know at all), but I need some sort of evidence to convince me :)

• Jaws1002

@draped said...

my problem with Ryu is that he just doesn’t have the ceiling for a 10k+ pitcher on DK. especially when you can target batts vs Turner pitching in Coors, Martin/Hughes pitching in Texas, chacin pitching in Arizona, Garza pitching in Milwaukee. There are so many expensive bats that by spending 10k on a guy who has a low floor and a low ceiling (compared to his salary) you are also creating a huge opportunity cost in your lineup. just my opinion, Ryu will definitely be super super low owned so if you are right then big money for you.

I will let Ryu beat me. He is not a 10K pitcher.

• YUUNGMOOLAHH

• Blogger of the Month

@Razzle11 said...

The issue is Ryu has been getting smacked around. and by smacked around, I mean he has given up 6 home runs already this season

That’s fair. But the thing that also stood out for me was that he has faced COL (twice) and CHC, not the easiest of lineups to work through. These Giants aren’t in the same hemisphere as those two imposing offenses. Ryu is my guy 2nite, “progression” is in store, this is beisbol.

“Progression” is my term for “positive regression”, which I just don’t see as a valid term as used for DFS, as positive and regression are polar opposites.

• Barnold89

@YUUNGMOOLAHH said...

I literally locked ryu in an hour ago

• tdubjenkins

I need a low price SS for around $2500 who yall suggest????

• draped

@YUUNGMOOLAHH said...

as positive and regression are polar opposites.

what? how are these two words opposites?

• Barnold89

@Barnold89 said...

Noted. Imo the numbers tell a story of a pitcher that has steadily improved over his career against lhb. Still gets knocked around by rhb. One could make a case for blackmon… But that’s about it when it comes to Rockies lefties. At Coors. Spot starter? I’ll take my chances on a couple of righties.

Can’t link the stats because I’m at work but I’ll tell you I came to that conclusion. On fangraphs I looked at his career numbers as a whole vs both sides of the plate and sorted by year going up from 2011?

• noddy

No pitcher is safe on any slate. And especially this slate. Therefore I am choosing not to pay up. Garrett and Vargas have just as good of a chance of getting 20 points as Ryu does. And I can get better hitters with the cheaper pitchers so that’s what I’m doing

• thebimonster

@saulgoodman said...

it’s called a “trap” because clowns like you get “trapped” into playing them. pretty much answered your own question mate

Nice one…“clown.” Ok Saul. Give me some lawyerly advice here- So is every player who is in a good spot considered a “trap?” How do you define who is in a trap and who is not…? If the play is too obvious? Or is it just cause you say so…

• murphstahoe

@Semaj89 said...

Would any SF fans like to play a $0 or $1 H2H tonight? I’m a Dodger fan and would like more reason to root against SF lol.

A few special rules – we have to play the SP – we have to play at least two bats from our team.

LOL – Hey, I want to play you head’s up and you have to start Matt Cain :)

• murphstahoe

Harper is $6100? Whoa

• jtkucheck

Curious if anyone has tried this on a terrible pitching slate before…

So we can all agree the pitching has some terrible options, some better ones that may or may not be a “trap”, and some guys at the top that don’t justify their price tag.

There’s no rule that says you have to roster two SPs on DK, just two pitchers. What about taking a high K middle relief type that could generate 3 or 4 Ks (as a Giants homer, I’ll throw out George Kontos at $4,100) and allow you to pair your Coors stack with whatever your 2nd favorite stack is since you’ve got so much more $$ than everyone else. If there is no pitcher with 35+ DK pt upside on the slate (I truly don’t think there is), the extra $ you spend on bats might put you over the top.

Just a thought, feel free to tell me this is stupid.

• johnnycage101

Thoughts on playing both Vargas and Gonzalez on DK today? Something I never do, but have seen it in the past and I think both are in better spots than most on the board.

• firepimp

Lmao the conversations and comments today so far. Fucking might as well argue about that DFS in total is a trap. Sounds like a bunch of wine snobs arguing over what year Chablis is the best and worst while the craft beer morons insult each other over what apple mango tango jalapeño beer they want to drink after circle jerk ing each other off.

It’s DFS guys. Some nobody is going to go 60 and some all star is going 0. Talk about it and try and help each other out for fucks sake.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

Bet with your head, not over it!
Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-Gambler