7:10 PM EST : Minnesota ( 181 ) at NY Mets ( -197 ) —- T: 6.5
    7:45 PM EST : LA Dodgers ( -131 ) at St. Louis ( 121 ) —- T: 8.5
    8:10 PM EST : NY Yankees ( 159 ) at Houston ( -173 ) —- T: 8
    8:15 PM EST : Seattle ( -105 ) at Kansas City ( -103 ) —- T: 9
    8:40 PM EST : Atlanta ( 112 ) at Colorado ( -122 ) —- T: 11
    9:40 PM EST : Texas ( 122 ) at Arizona ( -132 ) —- T: 8.5
    9:45 PM EST : San Diego ( -116 ) at SF Giants ( 107 ) —- T: 7.5
    10:07 PM EST : Milwaukee ( -126 ) at LA Angels ( 116 ) —- T: 8.5

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – MLB strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterdays games will be moved to yesterdays MLB thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted..

• Epignosis

RG Overall Ranking

@Unico10 said...

I mean… it’s either play Santana or use a relief pitcher or don’t play a RedSox stack

Or, if you really wanted a Red Sox stack, you could take a $2.5k player at a position where there isn’t a lot to like, such as catcher or second base.

• Pandamonious

• 2020 Blogger of the Month

@Unico10 said...

I mean… it’s either play Santana or use a relief pitcher or don’t play a RedSox stack

I know pricing is tight, but this isn’t fully true. I mean, I don’t think a 5-man BoSox stack on this slate is wise to begin with. Shoemaker is decent and been lights out. It’s sub 50 degrees with wind blowing in. Like, what’s the upside here anyway? I can do a solid 4-man BoSox stack With Vazquez, Betts or JD, Moreland, and Bogaerts easily if you go Morton/Zimmerman. The Tigers are CHEAP. Kluber has been mostly mediocre since he hurt his knee in or right before that rain delayed game against the Cards mid-summer last year. Another rough start to the season here. It’s sunny and 60-65 degrees in Detroit with wind blowing well out to right field. Take a chance on some of these cheap Tigers with pop.

Still get Morton. Zimmerman has been legit decent and the Tribe still have holes in their offense. Get your BoSox.

• chrislamb92

@Unico10 said...

Am I still half asleep or am I seeing right that a 5 man Boston stack is basically not allowed on DK?

You MUST play Santana to play a 5 redsox stack…. that is so lame it takes all the fun out of building lineups
    I guess one can use a reliever…. ffs

Came here to say this. I appreciate the tight DK pricing this season on full slates but for the short slates it’s far too tight. There is exactly 1 non-catcher for under 3.5k starting today that isn’t facing Kluber or Sale.

• hithisisnom

@Epignosis said...

Or, if you really wanted a Red Sox stack, you could take a $2.5k player at a position where there isn’t a lot to like, such as catcher or second base.

This is a move I’m overly fond of, but with 6 possible catchers and 9 eligible 2nd basemen i suspect it’s unlikely to be optimal today.

• Unico10

RG Overall Ranking

@Epignosis said...

I looked into that… but to move away from Santana and move up to pair Morton with Zimmerman at 8,100 (!!!) (Lol… not even sure is worth it as he may get lit up) you need to take two zeros with 2500 players.

Shoemaker has been pitching well too, what would the prices have been if they had faced a gas-can?

• hithisisnom

@chrislamb92 said...

Came here to say this. I appreciate the tight DK pricing this season on full slates but for the short slates it’s far too tight. There is exactly 1 non-catcher for under 3.5k starting today that isn’t facing Kluber or Sale.

At the risk of being obvious…play somebody against Kluber or Sale, then. Baseball has a ton of variance already. Throw in early season weirdness, slow starts for both of them and a frankly shaky Red Sox pen and there’s a whole lot to like.

I’m also really liking some Indians bats. It seems like Jordan Zimmermann is going to be relatively overowned just because of how the pricing is.

• Epignosis

RG Overall Ranking

Yeah, it’s doable, but it’s ugly.

I’m not sure why you’d want a full Boston stack against Shoemaker anyway. Shoemaker seems to keep left-handed batters in check (although he does issue a lot of free passes to them, so maybe there is merit to the stack after all).

• Taterchipdip

Use this Pitcher tonight at Coors………………………….

German Marquez (0.69 ERA through his first 2 starts)

• mr_papageorgio

Call me crazy but I like Cole more than deGrom tonight. Better price, I think there are more potential Ks with the Yanks (also more risk obviously), and no risk of getting pinch hit for.

The next opinion probably is crazy but I could see Harvey having success tonight at his price on DK. He absolutely could get shelled but there are lots of potential Ks in the Brewer’s LU and they are getting a negative park shift (though they also get a DH). I wouldn’t be shocked to see him turn in a decent outing. Not saying it’s the most likely outcome or that I’ll go there but especially with the way pricing is on DK he may end up being good value.

• Jonas137

@Unico10 said...

Red Sox offense has been just ok, and Shoemkaer has shown elite stuff so far this year. Just curious why do you feel Boston is the needed stack?

• Unico10

RG Overall Ranking

@Pandamonious said...

I know pricing is tight, but this isn’t fully true. I mean, I don’t think a 5-man BoSox stack on this slate is wise to begin with. Shoemaker is decent and been lights out. It’s sub 50 degrees with wind blowing in. Like, what’s the upside here anyway? I can do a solid 4-man BoSox stack With Vazquez, Betts or JD, Moreland, and Bogaerts easily if you go Morton/Zimmerman. The Tigers are CHEAP. Kluber has been mostly mediocre since he hurt his knee in or right before that rain delayed game against the Cards mid-summer last year. Another rough start to the season here. It’s sunny and 60-65 degrees in Detroit with wind blowing well out to right field. Take a chance on some of these cheap Tigers with pop.

Still get Morton. Zimmerman has been legit decent and the Tribe still have holes in their offense. Get your BoSox.

Panda… it’s a 3 game slate. Only playing 3 lineups.
    Boston is one of the best offenses in the game and, yes, Shoemaker has been pitching well. Therefore a full RedSox stack is a legitimate GPP play, especially when you have DET facing Kluber (he was pedestrain so far but could have a good game vs a weak offense), a CLE lineup that is so-so, a CWS facing an in form Morton, TOR facing Sale (like Kluber could turn it on)

So you have TB in a good spot.

Planning on playing TB+DET in one, TB+CLE in another one (prob both 3-3-2 or 4-3-1 stacks with a one off from TOR) and a full BOS stack in the 3rd one. I believe is ridicolous this early in the season with that one team is basically taken away by pricing.
    Isn’t like is Coors field. As you said, cold and wind blowing in

• Pandamonious

You can also easily do JD/Betts/Beni/Pedroia/Vazquez with Morton/Zimm if you really have your heart set on it. Or switch Beni to Bogaerts or Devers.

• Unico10

RG Overall Ranking

@Jonas137 said...

Red Sox offense has been just ok, and Shoemkaer has shown elite stuff so far this year. Just curious why do you feel Boston is the needed stack?

Is baseball.
    Why not?
    Look at the other offenses. Not saying I want to go 100% redSox. Just, it would be nice to be able to play them without taking a zero somewhere

• hobbes2d

@hithisisnom said...

At the risk of being obvious…play somebody against Kluber or Sale, then.

Which on a small slate you should do anyway. Especially when one always struggles early in the year (Kluber) and the other might not be healthy and has diminished velocity currently (Sale).

• Unico10

RG Overall Ranking

@Pandamonious said...

You can also easily do JD/Betts/Beni/Pedroia/Vazquez with Morton/Zimm if you really have your heart set on it. Or switch Beni to Bogaerts or Devers.

Right now I have Devers/Pedroia in and Santana pitching.

• dmsr320

Chris Davis at $500 is such a joke…I just complained to FD support about it SMH

• chrislamb92

@hobbes2d said...

Which on a small slate you should do anyway. Especially when one always struggles early in the year (Kluber) and the other might not be healthy and has diminished velocity currently (Sale).

Of course you can still make lineups and I agree there is merit to playing hitters in less than optimal spots on short slates.

The point myself and (I believe) others are trying to make is that since draftkings is not adjusting pricing for these short slates certain lineups are next to impossible to make/differentiate. IE if you stack the Red Sox 1-5 you HAVE to play Santana (to be able to make a lineup without 2 non-starting position players). That’s too limiting imo. Whether or not stacking the Red Sox 1-5 hitters is a “good” DFS play today is irrelevant

• hobbes2d

@chrislamb92 said...

Of course you can still make lineups and I agree there is merit to playing hitters in less than optimal spots on short slates.

The point myself and (I believe) others are trying to make is that since draftkings is not adjusting pricing for these short slates certain lineups are next to impossible to make/differentiate. IE if you stack the Red Sox 1-5 you HAVE to play Santana (to be able to make a lineup without 2 non-starting position players). That’s too limiting imo. Whether or not stacking the Red Sox 1-5 hitters is a “good” DFS play today is irrelevant

You don’t HAVE to play Santana though. You can play a relief pitcher and save more salary and that would truly differentiate your lineup. It’s the same strategy for Showdown.

• Pandamonious

You shouldn’t be able to do a 5-man stack of an ELITE offense without sacrificing something.

I know the pricing is tighter. It does make things harder and makes you make less than ideal decisions. I’m not a big fan either. Once we start complaining we have to take a crappy pitcher to make a 5-man stack of an elite offense work though it’s gone too far. WAY TOO FAR.

Tell me when or where we were ever able to pick 2 solid pitchers and stack a Coors game for example?

• feekdogg

@dmsr320 said...

Chris Davis at $500 is such a joke…I just complained to FD support about it SMH

No doubt. He should be free.

• hithisisnom

@chrislamb92 said...

I don’t see this as a problem at all, is the thing. If people are going to be robotically stacking the best offense 1-5 and then playing whatever pitchers fit after that, there’s a massive leverage opportunity. I know you’re not suggesting that anybody actually do that, but there are actually a ton of combinations of players you can go with, especially if you’re willing to leave money on the table. The Red Sox are priced very tightly, but Cleveland, Chicago, TB and Detroit certainly aren’t.

• bucherpsu08

@celtics69 said...

Any Orioles fans. Will Johns Means go 5 inn tonight or is he an opener?

I’d say the most likely scenario is 3 innings and done, unless of course he gets shelled. I’m assuming the long term plan is to have Straily fill the 5th rotation spot so I don’t think they will extend him that long to the point that he’s unavailable for relief until the weekend.

• Epignosis

RG Overall Ranking

@Pandamonious said...

Tell me when or where we were ever able to pick 2 solid pitchers and stack a Coors game for example?

It sure as hell wasn’t yesterday.

• jjpk

Hmm. I’m rolling Shoemaker, Morton and a Rays stack. I don’t mind fading that BOS chalk. Maybe a Boegarts 1-off.

• chrislamb92

@hobbes2d said...

You don’t HAVE to play Santana though. You can play a relief pitcher and save more salary and that would truly differentiate your lineup. It’s the same strategy for Showdown.

Sorry I should’ve said to be able to play a lineup of all starting players not just hitters. Playing a relief pitcher is much less viable on a multi-game slate than showdown imo.

It just seems to me that if you can’t play the 1-5 hitters on a team that hasn’t even been hitting well against a pitcher who has looked great so far this season without being required to either A) start the cheapest pitcher available or B) play a relief pitcher or multiple non-starting hitters then something is wrong with the pricing.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).