2:15 PM EST : Baltimore ( — ) at Kansas City ( — ) —- T: 0
    3:05 PM EST : Oakland ( 111 ) at Texas ( -120 ) —- T: 9.5
    3:10 PM EST : LA Dodgers ( -130 ) at Colorado ( 120 ) —- T: 10.5
    3:37 PM EST : Detroit ( -130 ) at LA Angels ( 120 ) —- T: 8
    4:05 PM EST : Cincinnati ( 126 ) at SF Giants ( -137 ) —- T: 8
    4:10 PM EST : Pittsburgh ( 116 ) at Arizona ( -126 ) —- T: 9
    7:05 PM EST : Philadelphia ( 181 ) at Washington ( -197 ) —- T: 7.5
    7:35 PM EST : Houston ( 115 ) at NY Yankees ( -125 ) —- T: 8

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – MLB strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterdays games will be moved to yesterdays MLB thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted..

• yoshi2132

Scherzer injured?

• elmore0631

So my team is doing well.. AND. max goes down?

Hope he’s okay.. I didn’t see it.

• JENSGT

That had me almost in tears, the toughest. (Sorry emotional lady here). Can’t believe he’s still pitching. Not sure it’s best for my lineup but as a fan I can’t help but love him for it.

Also can Altuve get in on this hitting feast? Please??

• ezreads

i’d like judge to get some hits going in this next inning, be nice to get him some points on the board

• ezreads

and the top of the 2nd already over just like that, that astro’s bullpen holy moly! charlie with the quick 3k in one inning, my eye is now on him for the time being

• JENSGT

Charlie Morton = ace. Lol.

Ugh it’s gonna be a bullpen game here soon for the Nats and that worries me deeply.

• ezreads

yeah well its way beyond a bullpen game for this astro and yanks game.

• Heterodox

@SkateFiend said...

Because if that was the norm, the game would involve even less skill.

At DK you can actually pay up for decent pitching and stack a decent offense. I stacked Chisox today, the brewers yesterday, and I’ve stacked the Dbacks and Yanks a few times. I didn’t win tons of money, but right now it gets result consistently.

I seriously doubt that people actually stack “strategically” right now. Unless the opposing pitcher facing a top tier offense is a little under Kershaw, there’s very little reason not to stack against him.

The rule of thumb on MLB DFS is to pay up for pitching because it’s the more consistent source of points. If you pay for pitching, then you need to take chance on some parts of the offense. If you want punt pitching and stack hitters to catch lightning in bottle, then you assume other risks.

Like I said, in GPPs I chase values and matchups like everyone. But the game is less fun when more random risks pays off more consistently than not.

I think your post is just full of fallacies and self-serving bias. You’ve convinced yourself that you have a monopoly on the truth, and that anyone who does it differently is wrong. Of course you don’t think people are stacking “strategically” (why did you put that in quotes?), because what you are doing is the “real” strategy (appropriate use of scare quotes), and everyone else therefore must be throwing darts, taking shots, hoping to get lucky.

The fact is that there’s more than one way to skin a cat. I think most people are hitter-oriented, in that they focus on pitchers, but for the purposes of finding bats and stacks. That’s pretty much what every tout and analyst (bit of a lofty term for what they do) tells them to do. I’m just saying that you can do it the other way. You can look at a team like the Brewers, or the Cubs, and realize that there’s upside for taking pitchers against them. You can look at the vast majority of major league pitchers who are basically the same in a qualitative sense, and realize that they are pretty much all going to have good games, and some of those games are going to come against good offenses. Just check here every night, and you’ll see everyone bitching when they do, basically every night. “Oh who could have predicted Cy -fill in the blank with name of average pitcher having a great game.”

This is baseball. If you’re not down with the randomness, why bother?

• Epignosis

RG Overall Ranking

Betances got shelled!

• Epignosis

RG Overall Ranking

@Epignosis said...

Betances got shelled!

And I made $14 with him on DK, Funny stuff.

Back to business Monday.

• SkateFiend

@Heterodox said...

I think your post is just full of fallacies and self-serving bias. You’ve convinced yourself that you have a monopoly on the truth, and that anyone who does it differently is wrong. Of course you don’t think people are stacking “strategically” (why did you put that in quotes?), because what you are doing is the “real” strategy (appropriate use of scare quotes), and everyone else therefore must be throwing darts, taking shots, hoping to get lucky.

The fact is that there’s more than one way to skin a cat. I think most people are hitter-oriented, in that they focus on pitchers, but for the purposes of finding bats and stacks. That’s pretty much what every tout and analyst (bit of a lofty term for what they do) tells them to do. I’m just saying that you can do it the other way. You can look at a team like the Brewers, or the Cubs, and realize that there’s upside for taking pitchers against them. You can look at the vast majority of major league pitchers who are basically the same in a qualitative sense, and realize that they are pretty much all going to have good games, and some of those games are going to come against good offenses. Just check here every night, and you’ll see everyone bitching when they do, basically every night. “Oh who could have predicted Cy -fill in the blank with name of average pitcher having a great game.”

This is baseball. If you’re not down with the randomness, why bother?

Well, of course there are more than one way to win. I think you misunderstand me.

I’m saying (or what I meant to say) I’m relieved that regression is affecting some hot starters, meaning players now have to be judicious in selecting their pitchers, given that position will make your break your lineups. There are a handful of teams who were crushing the ball the past few weeks and you could make room for their players by paying the minimum on pitchers like Cahill and Wade Miley.

The general advice (‘rule of thumb’ might have been a wrong choice of word) on MLB is to pay up for pitching and get the sure points. Then you have to take chances on the bats. If the Luis Severino class gets blown up 3,4 games straight, people will pay up for pitching or play more safe. Or I might go the other way and take a risk and reap the benefits when someone like Ricky Nolasco throws a complete CG.

That sort of nuance in the game kinda goes away if the gap between top and average pitchers is negligible. In that case everyone would just punt pitching and field All Star lineups. or stack while assuming lesser risks.

I quoted “strategically” to emphasize that strategy is a bit less relevant NOW than following trends. It’s somewhat easy to just stack the top offense (by punting on pitching) and get more consistent results. I would stack Dbacks at home against 95% of the pitching out there, regardless of matchup or history. More often that not, it’ll work.

And in DK you don’t even have to take random risks on pitching to field a formidable lineup. It’s nonsensical how much room you can have for 4,5 top caliber bats, to be honest.

• tmarohl

Just stack the Brewers, no matter who they are facing, and you should win.

• DfsBopBooth

Crush Davis was an easy pick today. I called it last night he would double dong but they pitched around him. Chris Young gets shelled by lefties. Tomorrow just plug in Villar and don’t even think twice.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-Gambler (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL only.