7:07 PM EST : Texas ( 153 ) at Toronto ( -166 ) —- T: 8.5
    7:10 PM EST : Milwaukee ( -100 ) at Cincinnati ( -108 ) —- T: 9
    7:10 PM EST : Arizona ( 129 ) at Miami ( -140 ) —- T: 8
    8:05 PM EST : Washington ( 136 ) at Chi Cubs ( -148 ) —- T: —
    8:10 PM EST : Boston ( -104 ) at Chi Sox ( -104 ) —- T: 9
    8:10 PM EST : Seattle ( 103 ) at Houston ( -111 ) —- T: 8.5
    10:10 PM EST : NY Mets ( -181 ) at San Diego ( 166 ) —- T: 6.5
    10:15 PM EST : Colorado ( 118 ) at SF Giants ( -128 ) —- T: 8

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – MLB strategy talk for today’s games. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted. Please make it a point to say if you’re talking about Cash or GPP options

• kmart35

Edwin Encarnacion last 3 years:
    OPS in April: .749
    OPS in May: .952 (30 HR in 329 ABs) I’m going to start rostering him a lot especially after how he seemed to look locked in yesterday

• hobbes2d

@kmart35 said...

33 years old

That’s old for a MLB player. Pablo Sandoval is 29 and it looks like his career is over. Adam Dunn’s last season was when he was 34. Encarnacion has never been an athletic guy. He’s got old player skills and those are the types of players who decline the fastest. The late 90s-early 00s was a ridiculous period that totally warped all sense of how valuable older baseball players can be. It wasn’t normal to have so many OLD players putting up MVP caliber seasons.

• Wrightime

@donkshow said...

They also lead the league on the road in runs scored last year.

LAST YEAR

Who cares about last year .. Means nothing after a month into season ..

• kmart35

@hobbes2d said...

That’s old for a MLB player. Pablo Sandoval is 29 and it looks like his career is over. Adam Dunn’s last season was when he was 34. Encarnacion has never been an athletic guy. He’s got old player skills and those are the types of players who decline the fastest. The late 90s-early 00s was a ridiculous period that totally warped all sense of how valuable older baseball players can be. It wasn’t normal to have so many OLD players putting up MVP caliber seasons.

33 is not old for a power hitter. The first 3 names that came to mind when trying to think of comparable players to Edwin were (admittedly better hitters than Edwin) were Frank Thomas, Jim Thome and David Ortiz. Thomas each hit 42 Homers at 35 and we all know what Papi has been doing with age.

• tarheelsrule44

What are the chances the lineups for the DET vs CLE game will be released prior to 1:45?

• hobbes2d

@kmart35 said...

33 is not old for a power hitter. The first 3 names that came to mind when trying to think of comparable players to Edwin were (admittedly better hitters than Edwin) were Frank Thomas, Jim Thome and David Ortiz. Thomas each hit 42 Homers at 35 and we all know what Papi has been doing with age.

So the first 3 names who came to mind are outliers from the steroid era? That’s kind of my point. Another thing to consider is that Thomas and Thome were really good hitters early on in their careers. Encarnacion much like 2 of the Blue Jays other power hitters has a very unusual career track in that he broke out in his late 20s. There’s a lot of research now that suggests that players are in their peak when they break into the major leagues. So expecting them to be this good 5 years from now seems a little unlikely.

Also with regard to Ortiz, he mysteriously had a huge drop off in production during his age 32 and 33 seasons. Then suddenly returned to being the great hitter he was earlier in his Red Sox career.

• xdan3220

@Wrightime said...

Who cares about last year .. Means nothing after a month into season ..

Seriously? Yes we always need to make adjustments based on what has transpired so far but baseball more than any other sport players generally hit to their career averages. If a guy has been in the league for 5 years and every year he hits 280 with 20 homers but is off to a 220 start with 1 homer chances are he is going to be getting hot and come close to those career numbers.

• jayhedd818

@donkshow said...

Scores averages runs? They led the majors and had 125 more runs than the 2nd place team last year and didn’t change their roster.

Key word “last” they are humans and not only does pitching change but humans don’t always perform the same. Pitchers are getting keen on what pitches they dislike and a whole heap of other factors.

• hobbes2d

Nice thing about tonight is you can probably load up on top salaried hitters since deGrom is the only guy really worth shelling out for.

• jayhedd818

@kmart35 said...

You are talking the age when steroids were basically legal and rarely tested for. Since they cracked down…the older guys play old. When a 35 year old man is juiced with testosterone you’d be amazed at the difference when his natural body is at a 300 but his juiced is at a 1200 and things like bone density, strength, muscle, aggression, etc is sky high. I mean if you were paid millions and your play depended how many millions you’d stick a needle in your arm also. I’m 31 and on testosterone therapy and a pretty high dose , not the derivatives of it like other steroids that do different things but testosterone is the base of all steroids and what it did to just my body , a man who does not work out is ridiculous. I got blood work and it was 100 on a scale of 100-1200 I am 6’3 at the time 250 lbs fairly high body fat, within 6 months of being on the cream now injections I’m 195 lbs, lean…arms have muscle I’ve never seen . So a 33 year old baseball player in the 90s like frank Thomas or thome you are kidding me if you think they weren’t taking a gram of testosterone a week with other things….they can’t do it now why do you think no more 75 or even 50 home run years by multiple guys????????

• jayhedd818

@hobbes2d said...

So the first 3 names who came to mind are outliers from the steroid era? That’s kind of my point. Another thing to consider is that Thomas and Thome were really good hitters early on in their careers. Encarnacion much like 2 of the Blue Jays other power hitters has a very unusual career track in that he broke out in his late 20s. There’s a lot of research now that suggests that players are in their peak when they break into the major leagues. So expecting them to be this good 5 years from now seems a little unlikely.

Also with regard to Ortiz, he mysteriously had a huge drop off in production during his age 32 and 33 seasons. Then suddenly returned to being the great hitter he was earlier in his Red Sox career.

Didn’t read yours before posting but exactly my thoughts lol the average man has no clue how powerful steroids can be and what effects they have on your body. Let me show you before and after for an average man a lazy one, let alone an athlete ha.

• Wolfedawwg

Just trying to find a reason to not roster Tulo today, Lefties are his preferred match-up and yet he is 0-18 so far this year versus LHP, somethings got to give, the odds of him getting at least a hit have got to be way higher than not, and if he does get a hit there is a 33% chance it will be a HR………..lol
    That’s the extent of my philosophy today.

• Yombo

any non-Tanaka SP2s people like? I’m guessing Happ will be popular. I’m really looking to Gausman and I would’ve definitely taken Hendricks if the Nats didn’t break out for almost 15 yesterday, but he still might be okay if he can get around Harper and Murphy

• mrandrew1337

I like Michael Fulmer in the early 2-game slate if you are playing it. I think a Detroit stack will easily put you in the money in most 50/50s.

Entering one lineup in the early slate and that’s it for the whole day. Pitching is too unpredictable for me to try and put a large amount of money on the line tonight.

• Olhausen

@jayhedd818 said...

Key word “last” they are humans and not only does pitching change but humans don’t always perform the same. Pitchers are getting keen on what pitches they dislike and a whole heap of other factors.

The bluejays probably won’t hit as good as last season. But if I had to bet money on it there’s no way they continue to hit this bad.

• kmart35

@Olhausen said...

The bluejays probably won’t hit as good as last season. But if I had to bet money on it there’s no way they continue to hit this bad.

I’d bet my life savings on Tulo hitting over .240 by the time it’s all said and done

• Yombo

For 4700, Devenski could give me 5 innings 4 Ks and a couple runs given up. I can probably get some decent bats. I could handle that at least for tournaments. If I play any cash, it’ll probably be DeGrom and Tanaka combined

• pbnews

Anyone due for a rest day in the CLE/DET lineups? I’m on Fanduel, so most likely have to guess at the starters (or fade that game offensively, which doesn’t seem smart given the totals). Not worried about the lefties… just Miggy, Kinsler, J.D., etc…

Edit: (Early slate, obv)

• ASitar

Have to choose one: Stanton, Harper, Fowler, or Bautista.

• tarheelsrule44

@Yombo said...

For 4700, Devenski could give me 5 innings 4 Ks and a couple runs given up. I can probably get some decent bats. I could handle that at least for tournaments. If I play any cash, it’ll probably be DeGrom and Tanaka combined

Bold strategy Cotton!

For me, I’d rather spend up on pitchers and punt on bats. Too often a high priced batter will go 0-4 while a high priced pitcher is USUALLY good for some points; At least the risk is much lower. Though, I play strictly on FanDuel for MLB where an ace pitcher and a W is almost a must to cash.

• kmart35

@ASitar said...

Stanton

• tarheelsrule44

@pbnews said...

Anyone due for a rest day in the CLE/DET lineups? I’m on Fanduel, so most likely have to guess at the starters (or fade that game offensively, which doesn’t seem smart given the totals). Not worried about the lefties… just Miggy, Kinsler, J.D., etc…

Edit: (Early slate, obv)

Coin flip as far as Mcann or Saltamacchia. I hope they release the lineup within the next 45 min.

• kmart35

I’ve just recently started playing on FanDuel, is it just me or is it way harder to get big bats in the lineup?

• TheRealJosh5

@ASitar said...

I actually like Fowler out of the 4 tonight. I’d go Fowler, Harper, Stanton then Bautista.

• sjobarzanek

@ASitar said...

Stanton,Harper,Bautista,Fowler….In that order

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week. Our goal is to help all of our members make more money playing daily fantasy sports!

Bet with your head, not over it!
Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-Gambler