8:05 PM EST : Cleveland ( -123 ) at Texas ( 114 ) —- T: 10.5
    8:10 PM EST : Boston ( -117 ) at Minnesota ( 108 ) —- T: 9.5
    8:15 PM EST : Miami ( 187 ) at St. Louis ( -205 ) —- T: 8
    9:40 PM EST : Colorado ( 130 ) at Arizona ( -141 ) —- T: 9.5
    10:07 PM EST : Baltimore ( 196 ) at Oakland ( -214 ) —- T: 9
    10:10 PM EST : SF Giants ( 235 ) at LA Dodgers ( -258 ) —- T: 7.5
    10:10 PM EST : Kansas City ( 108 ) at Seattle ( -117 ) —- T: 9
    10:10 PM EST : Milwaukee ( 0 ) at San Diego ( 0 ) —- T: —

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – MLB strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterdays games will be moved to yesterdays MLB thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted..

• ElwoodB

OT, I guess. Poor Edwin Jackson. Are they still going to trot him out there or mercifully set him free?

• PhoFever

@ElwoodB said...

OT, I guess. Poor Edwin Jackson. Are they still going to trot him out there or mercifully set him free?

They will probably release him. Then, he will get picked up by someone else, and miraculously, he will throw 4 straight quality starts. Call it the Bartolo Colón Phenomenon.

• Yankswin777

It’s a light drizzle here in NY, but I’m still not sure if Tampa v Yankees is happening, so I’m staying away from that.

• me_mike84

who the heck do you pair with verlander to give you decent remaining salary for bats? i really don’t want to go too low into the barrel w/ pitching. anderson or kikuchi would be the only two i’d possibly consider.

• mr_papageorgio

@me_mike84 said...

who the heck do you pair with verlander to give you decent remaining salary for bats? i really don’t want to go too low into the barrel w/ pitching. anderson or kikuchi would be the only two i’d possibly consider.

I think Keller has some upside against the DH-less Tigers.

• me_mike84

@mr_papageorgio said...

I think Keller has some upside against the DH-less Tigers.

hmmm…..i could wrap my head around that. thank you!

• mr_papageorgio

@me_mike84 said...

hmmm…..i could wrap my head around that. thank you!

He also has negative point downside lol but I’m a Pirates homer and he’s one of our top pitching prospects so the stuff is there and this is the right kind of matchup for him to succeed. Definitely not “safe” but what is in MLB anymore?

• me_mike84

@mr_papageorgio said...

He also has negative point downside lol but I’m a Pirates homer and he’s one of our top pitching prospects so the stuff is there and this is the right kind of matchup for him to succeed. Definitely not “safe” but what is in MLB anymore?

i hear ya. but he did flash 7 strikeouts against cincy and only 1 homer given up.

both those starts on the road. might be a good spot for him in his first home game. i think i’ll ride it….like you said, what’s safe anymore in baseball. for all i know keller could score me more points than verlander tonight lol

• Pandamonious

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #90

RG Tiered Ranking

• 2020 Blogger of the Month

@mr_papageorgio said...

I’m seeing evidence, back through the minors and so far in the major of reverse splits. Only thing giving me pause there. Tigers are eventually going to break out some. Their bats as a whole are underrated or more so under performing. No that their good. Just not as bad as seen. Pointing that out, because most of Detroit is RH.

Anyway, as far as other pitching, I like coming off JV and primarily building with a Woodruff/Flaherty combo that isn’t overly expensive, with a lot upside, but probably chalky. With JV, on the cheap I think Bailey or maybe more so Anderson makes sense.

• PhoFever

@me_mike84 said...

Merrill Kelly? 3-0 and 0.81 ERA in last 3 starts. Rockies still suck at hitting on the road – .226 team average. I’m sure someone will shoot down this idea with some advanced metrics, but I will happily roll the dice with this information alone.

• me_mike84

@Pandamonious said...

I’m seeing evidence, back through the minors and so far in the major of reverse splits. Only thing giving me pause there. Tigers are eventually going to break out some. Their bats as a whole are underrated or more so under performing. No that their good. Just not as bad as seen. Pointing that out, because most of Detroit is RH.

Anyway, as far as other pitching, I like coming off JV and primarily building with a Woodruff/Flaherty combo that isn’t overly expensive, with a lot upside, but probably chalky. With JV, on the cheap I think Bailey or maybe more so Anderson makes sense.

well noted. i might reconsider pitching as a whole. i kinda liked woodruff tonight also….might go there and scrap verlander. looks like there might be a few weather issues again tonight so i’ll have to keep an eye on that.

the weather was my friend last night as i originally had castillo and corbin and switched to tanaka/lynn 10 minutes before lock lol

• mr_papageorgio

@Pandamonious said...

I’m seeing evidence, back through the minors and so far in the major of reverse splits

Where do you find splits for minor league stats? I’ve only been able to find overall numbers.

• Brandon6385

@Pandamonious said...

I’m a Tigers slappy, and I can tell you, there is no breaking out, this team is bad!! Sure, every offense gets a good match up where they put up 10+, but this team is not likely. They are HOT GARBAGE.

• Pandamonious

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #90

RG Tiered Ranking

@PhoFever said...

Merrill Kelly? 3-0 and 0.81 ERA in last 3 starts. Rockies still suck at hitting on the road – .226 team average. I’m sure someone will shoot down this idea with some advanced metrics, but I will happily roll the dice with this information alone.

Because you asked for it…

Kelly’s last 3 starts:

0.81 ERA, 3.73 xFIP, 3.81 SIERA, with an unsustainable .175 BABIP and an average-ish 22.8% K-Rate.

Not bad numbers, but obviously pitching over his head a bit.

On the flip side, as you mentioned the Rockies have been atrocious on the road, with a 71 wRC+, .158 ISO, and an inflated 27.3 K%.

Anyway, I don’t think Kelly is a bad play at all. He’s been much better at home too. Not just from a fantasy point perspective, but all the numbers support it too.

• Pandamonious

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #90

RG Tiered Ranking

@mr_papageorgio said...

Where do you find splits for minor league stats? I’ve only been able to find overall numbers.

I just look up the player on milb.com and scroll down to career stats, and at the top they have a splits tab and click on that. There’s no advanced numbers, but it gives you a general idea. At every level his ERA against RHB’s is higher.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=656605#/career/R/pitching/2019/ALL

• Pandamonious

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #90

RG Tiered Ranking

@Brandon6385 said...

I’m a Tigers slappy, and I can tell you, there is no breaking out, this team is bad!! Sure, every offense gets a good match up where they put up 10+, but this team is not likely. They are HOT GARBAGE.

I’m a Tigers guy too. I know they’re bad, but some of these guys are hitting the ball a lot better than the results. Castellanos, Miggy, Jones, Castro, Dixon are all hitting the ball hard on lines and flies with not enough to show for it.

• Brandon6385

@Pandamonious said...

I’m a Tigers guy too. I know they’re bad, but some of these guys are hitting the ball a lot better than the results. Castellanos, Miggy, Jones, Castro, Dixon are all hitting the ball hard on lines and flies with not enough to show for it.

I can agree with you there!! Do you live in MI?

• PhoFever

@Pandamonious said...

Not bad numbers, but obviously pitching over his head a bit.

On the flip side, as you mentioned the Rockies have been atrocious on the road, with a 71 wRC+, .158 ISO, and an inflated 27.3 K%.

Pretty much what I figured…As usual with these scenarios, it comes down to when you think regression sets in. Betting on a Jason Vargas regression, for example, hasn’t worked out well in over a month, other than his last start which wasn’t even that bad.

There’s also the ballpark factor working in Kelly’s favor. All in all, considering price, not a bad play, particularly on Yahoo.

• Pandamonious

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #90

RG Tiered Ranking

@Brandon6385 said...

I can agree with you there!! Do you live in MI?

Yes I do.

• Unico10

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #87

RG Tiered Ranking

Still worked up over yesterday…. 25% Angels stacks, but also 30% Corbin and 20% Twins… only cashed 15% of my lineups, a bloodbath.

Can’t believe the Nationals, can believe I didn’t go through with the Tanaka switch… most of all can’t believe freaking Tanaka threw a CGSO, if he only had posted a 20ptsish score I would have been ok.

Anyhow.
    Not sure what to make of the DK tourneys.
    $111 for a 150/max tourney? Hard to compete with 1-3 lineups
    $11 seems also steep with 24k entrants and a terrible payout structure (50k to first and 500 to 10th? Seems the perfect tournament for me to finish 10th with some random 9th inning rally coming out of left field…)

Maybe just mini-max and/or single entry tourneys?

Huge slate. Need to decide how many lineups to build in order to strategize how to attack the slate.

• Njsum1

@Pandamonious said...

Anyway, as far as other pitching, I like coming off JV and primarily building with a Woodruff/Flaherty combo that isn’t overly expensive, with a lot upside, but probably chalky. With JV, on the cheap I think Bailey or maybe more so Anderson makes sense

Gonna be a losing night. Cause I’m all over woodruff and Flaherty too, so I’m guessing if we see it, everyone will see it.

Also noticed that reverse splits tendency with Keller as well. What’s going in his favor is the ballpark. Wouldn’t mind playing him, yet taking Jacoby Jones, who is also reverse splits, and likely to lead off, and reasonably priced (3800) for insurance. 🤷‍♂️

• frugal

How do you all feel about Stanton returning tonight?

• Unico10

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #87

RG Tiered Ranking

Early own % shows Kikuchi at 22% tonight. If that holds the Royals make for a great tournament stack.

• mr_papageorgio

@Unico10 said...

Early own % shows Kikuchi at 22% tonight. If that holds the Royals make for a great tournament stack.

Depends on how much pine tar he has on his hat tonight.

This slate seems like you either go JV+cheap (Keller or below on DK) or eat the Flaherty chalk and then decide between cheap or another mid range arm (Corbin is still free and I could see him as a viable pivot or pairing with Flaherty assuming weather is ok).

I think I’m gonna focus on picking a few bats that I really like first and let that drive which was I go with pitching. At first glance, I think I’m eating the Ramirez chalk at 3B and starting with Mookie in the OF.

• Njsum1

@Njsum1 said...

Wouldn’t mind playing him, yet taking Jacoby Jones, who is also reverse splits, and likely to lead off, and reasonably priced (3800) for insurance

So much for that, he’s batting 8th 🤮. He’ll still homer though, now that I won’t be paying him in my Keller lineup.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-Gambler (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL only.