7:35 PM EST : SF Giants ( -141 ) at Atlanta ( 130 ) —- T: 9
    7:40 PM EST : Pittsburgh ( -114 ) at Milwaukee ( 105 ) —- T: 9
    8:05 PM EST : San Diego ( 206 ) at Chi Cubs ( -226 ) —- T: —
    8:05 PM EST : Toronto ( -126 ) at Texas ( 116 ) —- T: 10.5
    8:15 PM EST : Boston ( -103 ) at Kansas City ( -105 ) —- T: 9.5
    10:05 PM EST : Houston ( 0 ) at Oakland ( 0 ) —- T: —
    10:10 PM EST : Detroit ( 126 ) at Seattle ( -136 ) —- T: 9.5
    10:10 PM EST : NY Mets ( 262 ) at LA Dodgers ( -290 ) —- T: 7

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – MLB strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterdays games will be moved to yesterdays MLB thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted..

• walkoff9

@tonytone1908 said...

Does anyone ever take down a GPP with high priced SP’s like Kershaw? I mean, you need a damn near perfect game from them and then need to find 8 min salary bats that actually do some scoring. All the decent cheap punts are high owned because everyone else is trying to fit Kershaw in too so it’s just as hard to separate from the pack without major luck.

Seems like pressing your luck with cheap SP’s is the way to go since a couple batters going for 10x or more can really make up the difference. Ever see a pitcher go for 10-15x? Hell no, but there are usually a batter or two in each slate that do. Just seems to me it’s much much easier for batters to highly exceed value than to even expect a P to come close unless it’s some 6k rookie making his 4th start after getting shelled the prior 3 getting 8 k’s, a W, and a QS.

I have won a gpp and come in 2nd. The win was a couple years ago with Strasburg as one of my pitchers and he went off. The 2nd place was a couple weeks ago when scherzer went off vs the padres.

Now I’m speaking dk as that is all I play and usually you have to pair them with a cheaper guy to still be able to fit bats in, not sure how restrictive FD is when you roster the studs, but when they go off its nearly impossible to win without them.

You are not winning or coming close without kluber tonight, and regardless of the point per dollar value, there is simply no replacing a massive raw points total from a pitcher, and the studs are the only ones capable of doing it.

• eatmyturf23

I’m not winning (enough) even with Kluber haha. But 100% agree with you.

I’m profiting 50 cents. Exactly a break even night unless Cano and Cruz take their heads outta their asses.

Bottom of the 7th (Heredia, Cano, Cruz) define my night now.

• stellagirl

@walkoff9 said...

You are not winning or coming close without kluber tonight, and regardless of the point per dollar value, there is simply no replacing a massive raw points total from a pitcher, and the studs are the only ones capable of doing it.

There are a number of Peacock/Dodger stack LU’s taking down some GPP’s right now, but I generally get your point.

I rarely pay up for the top stud.

And, I rarely win.

Coincidence?

I THINK NOT!

• makeitra1n

Question:is it me or do pitchers when they are excessively large favorites,say like -220 and above,routinely fall short of expectations,and dare I say,suck?

I’ve actually noticed this the past few years.no hard data but just personal experience.or is it just me?

• eatmyturf23

Kershaw-gate killed the forum tonight :/

• WestCrook1

Cruz gets a FB right down the middle and GIDP. Wtf

• eatmyturf23

@WestCrook1 said...

Cruz gets a FB right down the middle and GIDP. Wtf

GIDP because he DGAS tonight. Dammit.

• eatmyturf23

3 points behind cash on FD and would be making $15 more if not for freaking thames, cano, and cruz. L@ ching@d@ put@ m@dre. So glad I barely played today. Still tilting tho haha.

• tonytone1908

I mostly play FD, and mostly late slates or smaller slates so take the late slate tonight for instance. Using Kershaw leaves you with mostly sub 3k guys unless you throw a couple 2k starters opposite him.

Anyways, my point was really, it’s not hard to pick batters that end up going for 10x while you’ll never see a guy like Kershaw hit 10x but some cheap pitcher will go for 8x with nobody on him. Just saying you can get way more value out of expensive batters than you ever can playing expensive SP’s and the times the stud SP’s go off are usually pretty rare so if you miss out on that one good performance every other month who cares?

• eatmyturf23

Zunino dong help anyone?

• WestCrook1

@eatmyturf23 said...

Zunino dong help anyone?

I had him and Fisher in my lineup last night. Switched to Contreras/Cruz. The ole shot myself in the foot trick

• Dirt_Lavert

Man I have the Zunino double dong but won’t cash :/ put up 140 late but like 100 on the mainslate.

Cano Valencia Cruz murdering my lineup. That and the Gaviglio screw up. Had no idea they don’t let that guy go more than 5 inning. He threw up like 15 vs BAL and TOR I figured he’d do the same vs the Tigers.

• zline34

My exact lineup from two days ago is the nuts lineup tonight lol

• tonytone1908

I noticed this trend last year and I’ve been seeing it again this year on the chances I do remember to check. It seems oftentimes that batters that play as the DH usually don’t do that well. Of course there’s days where a couple of them go off but it just seems to me more often than not that avoiding guys that are actually playing DH as a general rule is a pretty safe way to go. Just have to live with the 5% of the time they might actually go off. May explain why my batters usually do so shitty. I may be stacking them with DH’s and not even realizing it. Note to self: pay attention to who’s actually the DH that night and stay far, far away!

• pick6er

@tonytone1908 said...

I noticed this trend last year and I’ve been seeing it again this year on the chances I do remember to check. It seems oftentimes that batters that play as the DH usually don’t do that well. Of course there’s days where a couple of them go off but it just seems to me more often than not that avoiding guys that are actually playing DH as a general rule is a pretty safe way to go. Just have to live with the 5% of the time they might actually go off. May explain why my batters usually do so shitty. I may be stacking them with DH’s and not even realizing it. Note to self: pay attention to who’s actually the DH that night and stay far, far away!

Interesting as I would expect the DH position to hit at a high clip. I look at it as all you’re doing is hitting so your body is fresh. But having said that, I suppose they’re just sitting on the bench getting cold without the blood flowing on the field. Interesting, good point.
    I assume this negates full-time DH’s (example Big Papi) from the list?

• mf831

I had Reyes lol figured all he would get was a base hit and maybe get a stolen base. I took out my Indians stack like a idiot but still had kluber

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-Gambler (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL only.