1:10 PM EST : Tampa Bay ( 0 ) at Minnesota ( 0 ) —- T: —
    2:10 PM EST : Pittsburgh ( 182 ) at Houston ( -199 ) —- T: 9.5
    2:10 PM EST : Seattle ( 157 ) at Milwaukee ( -170 ) —- T: 10
    2:20 PM EST : Atlanta ( 0 ) at Chi Cubs ( 0 ) —- T: —
    7:10 PM EST : Washington ( -204 ) at Miami ( 187 ) —- T: 7.5
    8:40 PM EST : LA Dodgers ( -206 ) at Colorado ( 189 ) —- T: 11.5
    9:45 PM EST : Arizona ( -100 ) at SF Giants ( -108 ) —- T: 8.5
    10:07 PM EST : Oakland ( 135 ) at LA Angels ( -146 ) —- T: 9.5

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – MLB strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterdays games will be moved to yesterdays MLB thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted..

• Epignosis

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #99

RG Tiered Ranking

I just want to reiterate what I said yesterday evening about insurance. I have 42% Peacock, so that’s unfortunate, but I have a Pirates stack with Stallings in 4th place in a tournament. It isn’t (yet) making this a profitable slate for me, but it’s limiting my loss.

The best thing you can do each day is make great lineups. The second best thing you can do is manage your losses.

• jayzee666

@jayzee666 said...

I faded Gallo also…… and sweating 100 point LUs on DK for my DK achievements! Need 13 LUs with 100 points to get to next level.

The REAPER life!!

Going for 15 Dodger stacks tonight for 100 Pts!!
    Putting in 15 separate Lambert stacks as insurance!!

Something’s gotta give!!

• Njsum1

@Epignosis said...

I just want to reiterate what I said yesterday evening about insurance. I have 42% Peacock, so that’s unfortunate, but I have a Pirates stack with Stallings in 4th place in a tournament. It isn’t (yet) making this a profitable slate for me, but it’s limiting my loss.

The best thing you can do each day is make great lineups. The second best thing you can do is manage your losses

Eh, I get the point about hedge stacks, and I’m glad it’s working out for you today, yet IMO, that’s not the best way to manage your losses (edit: as it will also cap
    your gains on days when you nail it).

There’s the very real possibility that Peacock fires a bad outing and the Pirates stack doesn’t hit a bunch of homers, yet still scores runs. And then you’re still sunk. Also, if the hedge stack does go off, you still need to nail your other hitters and the pitcher as well in your hedge stacks to sneak a lineup near the top, to cover your losses.

So I’m guessing you’re going to have to make a lot of hedge stacks to get one with the right combo. And again, your going to need that team to hit a bunch of homers as well, not just score runs.

IMO, the best way to manage your losses, isn’t by hedging, it’s by playing a set amount of your bankroll and not exceeding those limits. And of course, making great lineups in the process.

• deadphish

damn…i needed Harper to get an AB…Segura walks it off instead

• Epignosis

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #99

RG Tiered Ranking

@Njsum1 said...

Eh, I get the point about hedge stacks, and I’m glad it’s working out for you today, yet IMO, that’s not the best way to manage your losses.

There’s the very real possibility that Peacock fires a bad outing and the Pirates stack doesn’t hit a bunch of homers, yet still scores runs. And then your still sunk. Also, if the hedge stack does go off, you still need to nail your other hitters and the pitcher as well in your hedge stacks to sneak a lineup near the top, to cover your losses.

So I’m guessing you’re going to have to make a lot of hedge stacks to get one with the right combo. And again, your going to need that team to hit a bunch of homers as well, not just score runs.

IMO, the best way to manage your losses, isn’t by hedging, it’s by playing a set amount of your bankroll and not exceeding those limits. And of course, making great lineups in the process.

I am by no means suggesting that the Pirates stack is covering my losses. It isn’t. It is only serving to mitigate a bad investment in Peacock. I am what you might call a “portfolio player,” in that I decide what percentage of my bankroll I want to invest in each lineup. If you’ve read some of my other posts, you’ll know that I recommend only having a certain percentage in play (as you suggest here) and not being overexposed to a particular player (I have broken those rules before, but I still don’t advise doing so).

As I’ve said, if I must lose, I want to lose small.

• Sleazygreazy

RG Overall Ranking

@Epignosis said...

I am by no means suggesting that the Pirates stack is covering my losses. It isn’t. It is only serving to mitigate a bad investment in Peacock. I am what you might call a “portfolio player,” in that I decide what percentage of my bankroll I want to invest in each lineup. If you’ve read some of my other posts, you’ll know that I recommend only having a certain percentage in play (as you suggest here) and not being overexposed to a particular player (I have broken those rules before, but I still don’t advise doing so).

As I’ve said, if I must lose, I want to lose small.

Yuck, I understand that but I just can’t get down with that philosophy.

It’s like sports betting, hit 3/4 of a parlay with the last one to go…I never hedge, why even do a parlay if you’re gonna hedge the last game.

Closest I will get to hedging, although not exactly the same, is taking a hitter vs my pitcher in a small slate – which I despise doing as well

• Lathum

Welp. 122 FD points with a -3 from peacock. He even goes for average and I could have had a pretty good day, especially in the RG $100 single entry.

• RatedDAL

At least when Strasburg crashes and burns tonight all of my hitters will have ample time to strategize how they’re going to explode and make Strasburg’s 17 points even more irritating.

• sneaksox

YOLO Stacking Lambert w/ Rocks 1-4 bc I’m going to the game tonight and don’t want to root for any Dodgers. Probably take down a GPP bc of variance…

• Renodog

I would like to use some winnings in tonights contests, can this game end lol

• richierich

Is it worth tossing in a LU with Young pitching at SF (FanDuel)? At minimum price, he can get you nearly any combo of bats your mind can dream of. Scouts say he profiles as a 5th starter, but maybe he can eek out a good outing with a 5-6 K’s against a bad lineup?

I mean, it enables you to stack the two teams of your choice, including Bellinger. But if he stands no chance… then it’s a waste.

• ASitar

Stras/Young + 3 Oak, 2 LAA, 2 FLA

• Epignosis

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #99

RG Tiered Ranking

@Sleazygreazy said...

Yuck, I understand that but I just can’t get down with that philosophy.

It’s like sports betting, hit 3/4 of a parlay with the last one to go…I never hedge, why even do a parlay if you’re gonna hedge the last game.

Closest I will get to hedging, although not exactly the same, is taking a hitter vs my pitcher in a small slate – which I despise doing as well

This isn’t sports betting. I play tournaments and only dabble in cash games. I’m not looking to beat the house. I’m looking to beat the field in any particular tournament.

I do not hedge in anything other than MLB, because if a pitcher is losing points, another team is getting them. If I’m playing Blackjack, I don’t take insurance. If I’m playing MLB DFS, I take the insurance.

• Lathum

I did that.

• RatedDAL

The Ray’s-Twins have combined for 12 hits in 16 innings and nobody has scored since the 2nd inning. Feel the excitement.

• NYGfan1983

@BigRay said...

last night i needed the Pirates…it worked out very well.

you and I both, i did the 1$ Solo shot on DK finished 2nd max’d entry 20 LUs.
    then copy’d all the LUs and put same into a 25c trny..

well Pirates made me very happy.

finished 2nd both trnys was in 25$ out 300$

im only playing the solo shot at 410pm and a few 3 EM and SE’s

GL all !! get it !!!!!

• BigRay

@RatedDAL said...

The Ray’s-Twins have combined for 12 hits in 16 innings and nobody has scored since the 2nd inning. Feel the excitement.

Went with the wife to watch the game for lunch at the sports bar. came home took a nap and now getting dinner ready while I watch the end

• richierich

@RatedDAL said...

I mean, this is pretty awesome. Come on. You never see something like this.

Going on 15 scoreless innings and the possibility of playing 20 becoming more real with every out.

• Sleazygreazy

RG Overall Ranking

@Epignosis said...

This isn’t sports betting. I play tournaments and only dabble in cash games. I’m not looking to beat the house. I’m looking to beat the field in any particular tournament.

I do not hedge in anything other than MLB, because if a pitcher is losing points, another team is getting them. If I’m playing Blackjack, I don’t take insurance. If I’m playing MLB DFS, I take the insurance.

Fair enough, you’d love the guy in 1st right now lineup in the $1590 on FD. Strasburg and 4 marlins. I get that’s he’s probably trying to fit 4 dodgers and it’s not the hedging you’re talking about, but sheesh

• mciama2000

@richierich said...

I mean, this is pretty awesome. Come on. You never see something like this.

Going on 15 scoreless innings and the possibility of playing 20 becoming more real with every out.

Of course its ruined by the pitcher that comes in and can’t throw strikes.

• Epignosis

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #99

RG Tiered Ranking

@Sleazygreazy said...

Fair enough, you’d love the guy in 1st right now lineup in the $1590 on FD. Strasburg and 4 marlins. I get that’s he’s probably trying to fit 4 dodgers and it’s not the hedging you’re talking about, but sheesh

Yeah, that’s not for me! I think I’ve stacked against my pitcher like that once, but it was on a two-game slate. I don’t remember how it worked out, so probably not too well.

• Epignosis

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #99

RG Tiered Ranking

Protip: Max Scherzer is scheduled to pitch Sunday against the Tigers.

Get your lock buttons ready.

• RobertoTomba

Surprisingly, Strasburg (Main) > Peacock (early).

Actually, my dog > Peacock. He earned 0 points and 1 pizza slice.

• SkateFiend

@Epignosis said...

The problem with insurance stacking is that if you have a lineup that has a starter that gave up 5 runs it’s probably dead, and the lineup with a stack against that pitcher could also fail to cash if it doesn’t have the players that did most of the damage. This is probably he result more than half the time even in late games and early slates, where that strategy makes a lot sense. And there’s so much offense now that the edge you got by stacking the right team continues to shrink throughout the night. Today was an exception and it helped that two cheap catchers put up big numbers.

If I regularly played 20,30 lineups I would probably take this kind of insurance action, because admittedly I have to do something to mitigate losses. I typically try to minimize starters I think will get shelled.

• RobertoTomba

@Epignosis said...

Protip: Max Scherzer is scheduled to pitch Sunday against the Tigers.

Get your lock buttons ready.

Anyone else have a stupid loyalty to your team, where you won’t pick players from teams that play them? It was easy for most of the last decade, because the Tigers were so good. But now…yikes. I have to avert my eyes (even though Scherzer wore the old English D, I can’t do it).

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).