MLB FORUM

Comments

• Pandamonious

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #85

RG Tiered Ranking

• 2020 Blogger of the Month

4:10 PM EST: Atlanta ( 110 ) at NY Mets ( -130 ) — T: 8 Mike Soroka vs Undecided
    6:10 PM EST Detroit ( 167 ) at Cincinnati ( -183 ) — T: 8.5 Matthew Boyd vs Sonny Gray
    6:40 PM EST: Toronto ( 145 ) at Tampa Bay ( -158 ) — T: 7 Hyun-Jin Ryu vs Charlie Morton
    7:05 PM EST: Miami ( 171 ) at Philadelphia ( -188 ) — T: 8.5 Sandy Alcantara vs Undecided
    7:10 PM EST: Kansas City ( 189 ) at Cleveland ( -209 ) — T: 8.5 Danny Duffy vs Shane Bieber
    7:10 PM EST: Milwaukee ( 115 ) at Chi Cubs ( -125 ) — T: 8.5 Brandon Woodruff vs Kyle Hendricks
    7:30 PM EST: Baltimore ( 168 ) at Boston ( -184 ) — T: 9.5 John Means vs Nathan Eovaldi
    8:05 PM EST: Colorado ( ) at Texas ( ) — T: Undecided vs Lance Lynn
    8:10 PM EST: Minnesota ( 111 ) at Chi Sox ( -120 ) — T: 8 Jose Berrios vs Lucas Giolito
    8:15 PM EST: Pittsburgh ( 175 ) at St Louis ( -193 ) — T: 8 Joe Musgrove vs Jack Flaherty
    9:10 PM EST: Seattle ( 249 ) at Houston ( -280 ) — T: 8 Marco Gonzales vs Justin Verlander
    9:10 PM EST: Arizona ( 115 ) at San Diego ( -125 ) — T: 8.5 Madison Bumgarner vs Undecided
    9:40 PM EST: SF Giants ( ) at LA Dodgers ( ) — T: Jeff Samardzija vs Undecided
    10:10 PM EST: LA Angels ( 119 ) at Oakland ( -129 ) — T: 8.5 Andrew Heaney vs Frankie Montas

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – MLB strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterday’s games will be moved to yesterday’s MLB thread. Any off topic posts, troll posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted. While the use of GIF’s are acceptable, content must be posted along with them.

• Njsum1

@monarch said...

Just seeing this pitch count stuff. Unless it is spelled out id ignore pitch count bias. For the past fifteen years Justin Verlander has basically been the exact pitcher on July 24th. The horses should have no problem getting deep into the game if they are running hot.

Plenty of value bats to gamble on, on DK. You can easily play a couple of top end pitchers.

• axman15

@mbunner23 said...

Anyone considering cheap Padres? Manny especially.

I have a Padres stack in one of my 3 risk free lineups on DK. Not sure if I would have however if it wasn’t risk free…

• Yankswin777

Stacked Colorado/Boston in one lineup and Pittsburgh/Dodgers in another.

• JIB7

Still somewhat green on baseball DFS…if you desired stacks don’t quite line up position-wise, is it typically best to pivot to a more undesirable option on the team you’re stacking, or pivot to a superstar if you have the salary to do so? e.g., do you go to Verdugo because you’re stacking BOS, or go one-off to Harper because of the matchup and you have the salary?

• homers1226

con·trar·i·an

https://www.google.com/search?q=contrarin&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS809US809&oq=contrarin&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l7.14676j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

in this crazy basebaii season

• homers1226

dodgers always blow it

ny yanks are glass pistiols

watch out for minny

• hcassidy

@homers1226 said...

watch out for minny

I am kinda leaning the White Sox way tonight.

• am03wins

Anyone on Alcantara tonight? Seems undervalued against a team that doesn’t hit righties very well.

• thedkexperience

@JIB7 said...

Still somewhat green on baseball DFS…if you desired stacks don’t quite line up position-wise, is it typically best to pivot to a more undesirable option on the team you’re stacking, or pivot to a superstar if you have the salary to do so? e.g., do you go to Verdugo because you’re stacking BOS, or go one-off to Harper because of the matchup and you have the salary?

This is pretty much the universal conundrum of DFS baseball.

In general it’s good to have as much of a stack as you can but if the 4th or 5th member of said stack swings a wet noodle and you have enough money for a superstar in a great match up then moving to the superstar is just fine.

Ultimately ask yourself this … do you believe the 1 off superstar will hit a homerun? If yes, have at it. The whole purpose of a stack is so that each member of your stack who doesn’t hit a homer gets caught on base for the guy in your stack who does hit a homer.

I know FD scoring better than I do DK scoring so here is an example.

On FD a HR is worth 18.7 points from the 4 bases, the run and the RBI. Going 1-5 with a homer is better than going 5-5 with 5 singles in a vacuum as that would be 15 points.

The reason you stack is so that guy with 15 points can tack on an additional 3 points here and 3 points there via runs while the guy behind him gets the RBI for basically a 6 point swing.

That said if you do a successful 4 man stack on FD the scores will probably be more along the lines of 15-23-3-18 not 15-15-15-15. The trick is to replace that “3” with the 18.7 your star pivot gets you.

• hcassidy

Tribes L/U already out and I will have to say Mercado batting 9th is absolutely ‘Ludacris’

• JIB7

Hmm…Jose Ramirez with my CLE stack or Devers with the BOS stack… Have the option of either.

• hcassidy

@JIB7 said...

Hmm…Jose Ramirez with my CLE stack or Devers with the BOS stack… Have the option of either.

Devers in a L/L matchup or Ramirez in a R/L matchup? But also keep in mind, Ramirez did more damage (HR) against RHP last year.

• RudyPujols

@thedkexperience said...

All true. My main LU so far has an excessive amount of Orioles and Red Sox at reasonable prices and then at the end I realized I could fit Verlander in fairly easily … on Fan Duel.

I have yet to do DK today but you are probably right.

The pricing on FD is laughably loose with DK over pricing basically everyone. I guess it makes a lot of sense that I cashed in FD yesterday quite easily and was awful on DK.

I agree on DK pricing. All position players are overpriced compared to previous years. Studs only by about 5%, but scrub and midrange bats are egregiously over-priced.

Early season pitch count concerns and egregiously priced mediocre hitters is forcing me into low end pitcher/high end hitter build.

I love Flaherty, Marquez, Bieber. But I don’t know that I love them enough more than the Woodruffs and Striplings when there is such a small price gap between scrub bats and stud bats and pricing is so hard/high.

• jwayne1976

Fwiw, JV threw 74 pitches (5 innings) in his last intrasquad start on July 18. Make of that what you will. My take: 90 seems reasonable, with a little bit of wiggle room on the high end if he’s cooking. 6 innings seems like a decent expectation (the two projection sites I looked at have him between 5 and 6).

• JIB7

@jwayne1976 said...

Fwiw, JV threw 74 pitches (5 innings) in his last intrasquad start on July 18. Make of that what you will. My take: 90 seems reasonable, with a little bit of wiggle room on the high end if he’s cooking. 6 innings seems like a decent expectation (the two projection sites I looked at have him between 5 and 6).

I just get this hunch with the way baseball has changed, + teams carrying 14-16 pitchers, we’re not going to see starters going deep, particularly early on. I feel like almost everybody these first couple starts will be around 90 max. And for even the best, that’s 6 max, and between 5-6 for nearly everybody. Too many options out of the pen, although the 3-batter rule may temper this a bit.

• Dicklington

Anybody playing the ATL/ NYM Showdown on DK? Ozuna, Adams, and Riley all super cheap and hitting in the middle of the LU

• thedkexperience

Me setting my lineup on FD.

Me setting my lineup on DK.

• Njsum1

@JIB7 said...

In cash game you pivot. Yes you can stack in cash. In GPP, I’d go with the less desirable option. He’ll be lower owned and a good way to differentiate your more popular stacks.

• txdave41

@Yankswin777 said...

Stacked Colorado/Boston in one lineup and Pittsburgh/Dodgers in another.

Wow, you think Lynn is gonna blow it at home against a team that is typically awful on the road?

• frugal

@Njsum1 said...

In cash game you pivot. Yes you can stack in cash. In GPP, I’d go with the less desirable option. He’ll be lower owned and a good way to differentiate your more popular stacks.

I’ve probably had this conversation a million times (more so in NBA threads), but unless you are max entering trying to play the ownership game is a good way to loose your money. I’d suggest beginners focus on projected outcomes. Just simple things like focusing on the top of the order in games in which a team is significantly favored will put them ahead of a ton of people outsmarting themselves with ownership plays. Especially on a 14 game slate.

• JIB7

@Njsum1 said...

I play mostly private games with friends, 10-20 people. Typically paying out 3 spots, or 4 for 15+ entrants. I haven’t figured out yet if I should be treating these like cash or GPP, or if it’s irrelevant.

• jv21

How do yall treat positional scarcity on Fanduel? Looking at the 2B spot, only César Hernández and Jose Altuve make my current list. So I could play the 2B as a one of, or I can lock in a CLE or HOU stack in my lineups (making 2 lineups).

• Njsum1

@frugal said...

I’ve probably had this conversation a million times (more so in NBA threads), but unless you are max entering trying to play the ownership game is a good way to loose your money. I’d suggest beginners focus on projected outcomes. Just simple things like focusing on the top of the order in games in which a team is significantly favored will put them ahead of a ton of people outsmarting themselves with ownership plays. Especially on a 14 game slate.

I’ve beat that drum with you in NBA. Mlb is completely different due to the outcomes for hitters being far less predictable. Coupled with it being an “event-based” DFS sport. One homer from a low owned player could be the difference between min cash and 20x.

I do agree that most of your lineup should be solid plays. Yet as the poster asked, in mlb when deciding between 2 players, I’ll play a little ownership.

• noddy

I just got home and haven’t been able to check anything. Hoping someone will be nice and let me know if there are any weather concerns tonight? TIA.

• Sleazygreazy

@noddy said...

I just got home and haven’t been able to check anything. Hoping someone will be nice and let me know if there are any weather concerns tonight? TIA.

Not really, philly looks a little dicey but there’s plenty of open time frames for them to finish the game I believe.

https://rotogrinders.com/weather/mlb

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-Gambler (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL only.