8:05 PM EST : Cincinnati ( 137 ) at Chi Cubs ( -165 ) —- T: 9.5
    8:05 PM EST : Arizona ( 141 ) at Texas ( -153 ) —- T: 8.5
    8:10 PM EST : Detroit ( 184 ) at Minnesota ( -200 ) —- T: 9
    8:10 PM EST : Chi Sox ( -145 ) at Kansas City ( 133 ) —- T: 9.5
    9:38 PM EST : Colorado ( 123 ) at LA Angels ( -143 ) —- T: 9
    9:45 PM EST : LA Dodgers ( -121 ) at SF Giants ( 112 ) —- T: 8
    10:10 PM EST : Houston ( -159 ) at Seattle ( 139 ) —- T: 8
    10:10 PM EST : Oakland ( 143 ) at San Diego ( -156 ) —- T: 8.5

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – MLB strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterday’s games will be moved to yesterday’s MLB thread. Any off topic posts, troll posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted. While the use of GIF’s are acceptable, content must be posted along with them.

• ifthethunder

Great. I need a home run from Texas (among others) and most of their hitters are batting beLowe the Mendoza line.

Brock Holt in his last ten games: 2 for 28, 1 walk and 1 double. “That’s my leadoff hitter!” – Chris Woodward
    ~

• superjon

I know stacking is generally the way to go in MLB, but it’s tough when you only play 1 lineup.

But I do think there are more optimal lineup possibilities in MLB compared to other sports, and maybe that’s because the chalk isn’t as consistent.

• ifthethunder

@superjon said...

I know stacking is generally the way to go in MLB, but it’s tough when you only play 1 lineup.

But I do think there are more optimal lineup possibilities in MLB compared to other sports, and maybe that’s because the chalk isn’t as consistent.

You may be right. This is just anecdotal, but when I look at the winning lineups, I see someone who one-offed most of the batters who hit home runs that day more often than those who stacked the teams that scored big.

And then there’s the pitching, which is so often a couple of dart throws.
    ~

• Southie777

My two cents on stacking now is that it’s probably the safest way to cash (either min or a bit above or whatever), if your stack comes through to a decent degree and you get SP right. But it just seems impossible to take down the big GPP’s that way, nowadays. You pretty much have to nail the pitching on the head and then HR-hunt. I’m trying to shift my thinking, but old habits die hard. Find myself playing a lot more mini-stacks, but it’s tough to just pick one-off after one-off.

• marker0357

@ifthethunder said...

Great. I need a home run from Texas (among others) and most of their hitters are batting beLowe the Mendoza line.

Brock Holt in his last ten games: 2 for 28, 1 walk and 1 double. “That’s my leadoff hitter!” – Chris Woodward
    ~

same. they are killing me!

• ifthethunder

@Southie777 said...

but it’s tough to just pick one-off after one-off.

Dylan Carlson is only 2,900. Also I just saw that Kyle Farmer is batting .293 with a couple of homers his last 10. Don’t know how that happened, I’d swear every time I play him to save $$$ I get a zero.
    ~

• yisman

Tyler Anderson traded to the Phillies.

He is scratched tonight, obviously.

• zovyn

I don’t understand why FD doesn’t also have a 4-game 8PM slate – those are some of the more interesting games tonight. Meh. Really weird/unusual with a 15-game main slate.

• zovyn

@ifthethunder said...

Dylan Carlson is only 2,900. Also I just saw that Kyle Farmer is batting .293 with a couple of homers his last 10. Don’t know how that happened, I’d swear every time I play him to save $$$ I get a zero.
    ~

Lately I don’t make any decisions until superjon posts a couple of base players to start with… :P

• zovyn

@yisman said...

Tyler Anderson traded to the Phillies.

He is scratched tonight, obviously.

Cody Ponce starting for the Pirates… Yelich has Covid… that MIL@PIT game looks like a mess.

• joephoto

@ifthethunder said...

Great. I need a home run from Texas

I’ve got 29 teams with a HR. Only need Texas now. Played all 9 batters in 2 -10 cent lineups.
    Lets get it done tonight ! 2,000 Crowns !

• TheShaman43

@Southie777 said...

My two cents on stacking now is that it’s probably the safest way to cash (either min or a bit above or whatever), if your stack comes through to a decent degree and you get SP right. But it just seems impossible to take down the big GPP’s that way, nowadays. You pretty much have to nail the pitching on the head and then HR-hunt. I’m trying to shift my thinking, but old habits die hard. Find myself playing a lot more mini-stacks, but it’s tough to just pick one-off after one-off.

This is something I start to think about a few times a season. This ain’t the game of my youth (mid-80s) – with TTO baseball, the parades of fireballing relievers, and what seems like a dearth of extended rallies it really feels like “hunt a homer” would be the way to go…

but then I look at the lineups that are winning my contests. Of the last ten contests I’ve entered, the winning lineups were all stacks:

one 5-3
    one 5-2
    three 5 plus 3 one-offs
    one 4-4
    two 4-2
    one 4 plus 4 one-offs
    one 3-2-2

I’ll admit that I’m a small dollar player and these are from SE tourneys in the $1-3 range, but I don’t see a lot of winning lineups playing “hunt a homer” – things might look different in the “big GPP’s” that Southie’s talking about, but for me I’m going to continue to stack.

Not just because it appears to still be the formula to win the contests I’m playing in, but also because MLB (which is my second favorite DFS sport to NHL) is just too overwhelming if you don’t. 10-15 games a night, I just can’t do the research unless I narrow my player pool down to the teams I’d like to stack, other sports just don’t have these monster slates night after night (and with the NFL you’ve at least got a full week to prepare for it). I’ve really simplified my play this year:

1. Identify two high-ceiling SPs who could be “slate breakers” on the night and lock them in
    2. Identify two teams to stack
    3. Figure out a 5-3 or 4-4 stack with those two teams that comes under salary without altering my pitchers

It’s not exciting and is overly simplified but as a small time “recreational” player who tries to stick to a single lineup per slate it’s just a hell of a lot easier to decide this morning that my focus would be on LAA/MIN and research 20 hitters rather than try and research all 30 lineups on the slate. And, hey, we’re over 100 days into the season and my head is above water in MLB, which is not something I can often say.

So…yeah, I get the feel that I should be hunting homers every now and then, but stacking is still doing the job for me. I’m sure there’s research out there that shows what the most common winning builds are and I’d be curious to see it (and I’m sure it varies by slate size), but for now I’m gonna keep playing my stacks.

• zovyn

Thanks for your process breakdown, always helpful to hear strategies. :)

• Sleazygreazy

RG Overall Ranking

Status note: Tyler Anderson trade to Phillies has been delayed. He’s currently throwing in the Pirates bullpen. Will update.

• marker0357

@joephoto said...

I’ve got 29 teams with a HR. Only need Texas now. Played all 9 batters in 2 -10 cent lineups.
    Lets get it done tonight ! 2,000 Crowns !

same

• Sleazygreazy

RG Overall Ranking

Soooo, in Boston they could play for about an hour and then wait two hours+ to resume…or just do a late start and wait HOURS and start after 10p.m. —— orrrr they could just f off and go to the bar and then play a double dip tomorrow. If we hear nothing by 6:50, I’ll probably swap out all shares of that game.

• monarch

• superjon

Today’s process is a little different.

1. Eliminate offenses I don’t like.
    2. Favorite pitcher – Lance
    3. Favorite expensive batter – Bryce
    4. Favorite bottom of the order player – Eli White
    5. Hunt for some HRs

• zovyn

@monarch said...

Joc Pederson scratched

Tummy ache

• zovyn

I’m studs n duds tonight – rolling McCullers with Mayfield, Ortega, and Rooker on the down low range.

• ifthethunder

@TheShaman43 said...

1. Identify two high-ceiling SPs who could be “slate breakers” on the night and lock them in

This has been tricky for me. Too often the numbers say ‘this guy’ and the results say “ha ha ha.”

For instance, Lance McCullers seems like an obvious pick. And I have him as SP1 in 3 l.u.s. But this was true his last start as well, and 13 DKFP didn’t pay off that salary.

Tonight I have more Jordan Montgomery than anyone else. I’m guessing his upside is about the same as Shane McClanahan ‘s for 2,400 less.

P.S. Err 2,600 less.
    ~

• ifthethunder

@superjon said...

4. Favorite bottom of the order player – Eli White
    5. Hunt for some HRs

I have Eli White and I need a Texas home run!
    ~

• monarch

I do like Montgomery. He has two range of outcomes….either he is optimal at 6700 or the Rays blow him up so I did build some Rays stacks. Margot hits him, Cruz hits all lefties, Zunino has a .492 iso vs LHP this season. It can go to extremes.

• SkateFiend

Don’t sleep on Jack Mayfield and Brandon Marsh

• marker0357

I sure hope BOS/TOR plays

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).