6:40 PM EST : Atlanta ( 116 ) at Tampa Bay ( -125 ) —- T: 9
    7:05 PM EST : Milwaukee ( -152 ) at Pittsburgh ( 140 ) —- T: 9.5
    7:10 PM EST : Chi Sox ( 106 ) at Cleveland ( -115 ) —- T: 9.5
    8:10 PM EST : St. Louis ( 118 ) at Minnesota ( -128 ) —- T: 10
    9:05 PM EST : Arizona ( -101 ) at Texas ( -107 ) —- T: 9
    9:10 PM EST : LA Dodgers ( -140 ) at Houston ( 129 ) —- T: 9
    9:40 PM EST : Colorado ( 155 ) at Oakland ( -170 ) —- T: 10
    9:40 PM EST : Seattle ( 169 ) at LA Angels ( -186 ) —- T: 9

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – MLB strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterday’s games will be moved to yesterday’s MLB thread. Any off topic posts, troll posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted. While the use of GIF’s are acceptable, content must be posted along with them.

• Pandamonious

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #87

RG Tiered Ranking

• 2020 Blogger of the Month

@RudyPujols said...

In this era of 60-75 pitch starters who are handled with kid gloves and most teams having garbage at the back end of rotations, are we under-valuing general opposing bullpen strength/weakness (when selecting offensive stacks)? Or with 30 man rosters and game script being so dependent on which relievers are used, is it just too remote to project and factor in?

Possibly.

I mean, most these teams tonight will see 4-5 innings of bullpen, so it’s definitely worth exploiting. The problem is truly knowing how good or bad a teams bullpen is right now.

I mean, do the Pirates have a decent pen? 4.12 ERA/2.42 FIP/3.62 xFIP with 10.53 K/9 and .46 HR/9 or is it just sample size?

For what’s worth tonight the worst bullpens so far have been: Cubs, Tigers, Giants, Mariners, Angels.

Best so far have been: Rays, Astros, Dodgers, Red Sox, Padres

• monarch

The other guy sticking out to me that nobody wants to play is Homerun Bailey. He should have run support…he strikes out LHB at a decent clip and was good last season for the A’s. While the Twins hit a lot of home runs their park actually depresses home runs and it will be a big negative park shift for the Cardinals who don’t have a ton of pop in the first place.

• RudyPujols

@Pandamonious said...

Possibly.

I mean, most these teams tonight will see 4-5 innings of bullpen, so it’s definitely worth exploiting. The problem is truly knowing how good or bad a teams bullpen is right now.

I mean, do the Pirates have a decent pen? 4.12 ERA/2.42 FIP/3.62 xFIP with 10.53 K/9 and .46 HR/9 or is it just sample size?

For what’s worth tonight the worst bullpens so far have been: Cubs, Tigers, Giants, Mariners, Angels.

Best so far have been: Rays, Astros, Dodgers, Red Sox, Padres

Good point. Small sample size in baseball is futile. Yet relief pitcher quality from year to year is fickle. So, both short term and long term metrics are flawed at this stage of the game. Oh well, I tried.

• RudyPujols

@monarch said...

The other guy sticking out to me that nobody wants to play is Homerun Bailey. He should have run support…he strikes out LHB at a decent clip and was good last season for the A’s. While the Twins hit a lot of home runs their park actually depresses home runs and it will be a big negative park shift for the Cardinals who don’t have a ton of pop in the first place.

Target Field and Busch III were almost identical in runs and HR park factors in 2019, and to the extent they weren’t identical Target was more Run and HR friendly than Busch. But Busch did not have the DH and the Twins were a more powerful lineup, so that weighs in favor of what you are saying. Still not seeing “a big negative park shift”.

Also, Cards (I am a die hard fan) have historically owned Homer. A lot of that came from when Homer was just not right and pitching in a cracker jack box, but Homer has been blown up by the Redbirds (many of whom have moved on) a ton.

• mr_papageorgio

@Pandamonious said...

I mean, do the Pirates have a decent pen?

I’ll gladly answer that question after last night’s gem. Allow me to answer in GIF form:

• frugal

@monarch said...

They believe he is ready to start now. He will either pitch today or tomorrow but tomorrow they are throwing their ace Frankie Montas. My working theory is that Mengden goes one time through the rotation, then Luzardo comes in for enough innings to get to the typical setup/closer situation and then Luzardo replaces Mendgen in the rotation five days from now. They love Luzardo, he is their guy. This is an amazing matchup for him. I’ll try and flush that out from a beat writer if I can though. Right now it is just a desperate theory due to the slate being so weak at SP.

Mendgen also had three separate surgeries in the offseason including elbow. I can’t believe he is going to be viable and the A’s are a WS contending team not wanting to give any games away in a 60 game season.

Man if you get anything from a beat writer I’m all in. I took Godley last night and he delivered, Luzardo is the min on Yahoo so if he minimally pitches 2 good innings given tonight’s other pitchers he’ll likely be on some winning lineups.

• zeeshan2

Marlins season has been postponed for now

• ifthethunder

My first pass was Samardzija and Sandoval. Might not turn out any better than Josh James yesterday, but at least they’re both cheaper.

But I’m also looking to diversify. Since I’m not going single bullet, why have the same two SPs ruin your lineups when you could pick six different ones to ruin them, right?
    ~

• Unico10

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #86

RG Tiered Ranking

Giving the RedSox one more chance or not? I am starting to think that their total lack of pitching is affecting their offense.. like they know is hopeless so their ABs are wasted… or maybe I am just bitter at JD killing me two days in a row

• Njsum1

Merrill Kelly’s. your guy tonight if you think Ferris is only throwing a few innings

• monarch

@Njsum1 said...

Merrill Kelly’s. your guy tonight if you think Ferris is only throwing a few innings

He had some stark H/R splits for a 10k guy on DK. Although the park seems friendly.

• RudyPujols

@Unico10 said...

Giving the RedSox one more chance or not? I am starting to think that their total lack of pitching is affecting their offense.. like they know is hopeless so their ABs are wasted… or maybe I am just bitter at JD killing me two days in a row

Red Sox bats are one of the few things I’ve gotten right. I haven’t full stacked. Played Peraza, Jmart, Vazquez, and Pillar over the weekend and shimmied wonderfully over to Benitendi, Moreland, and Bogaerts yesterday. Just haven’t matched them up with anything great and it’s been mostly for naught.

Don’t see how you full fade on all of those right handed bats tonight: JMart, Pillar, Vazquez, Bogaerts, Peraza…just gotta pick the right ones and pair them up with something good.

• RudyPujols

@Njsum1 said...

I try to be a little bit of an eye test guy in addition to stats and data. Baseball is the only sport I know well enough for that to be an advantage. My eye tells me Merrill Kelly is a fringe MLB’er at best. But his results are better than my eye projected. Jose Martinez is an offensive example. My eye says this guy should be a minor league lifer. His results say otherwise.

• jwayne1976

My (very beta mode, so grains of salts) projections have Kelly as the 5th highest scoring pitcher (DK) on the slate. Interestingly, 1-10 are separated by less than 1.4 points. Seems like an ideal night to play ownership or just go double cheap at SP. I’d assume everyone realizes this, so paying up for Kelly or Gibson, who have the exact same projection, basically, makes sense.

• Unico10

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #86

RG Tiered Ranking

I think this slate may warrant leaving a sizable amount of $$$ on the table
    Buehler is limited pitch count
    Kelly maybe viable
    Homer I won’t touch
    Gibson… meh…

Obviously going with the likes of Davies, Samardzja, Sandoval, Lindblom allows for anything you want for bats… but there are low (too low) priced bats in great spots that may get overlooked just for that reason (MIL and KC for example)

EDIT: Made a KC/MIL/NYM 3-3-2 stack with Alonso and Yelich, have $2k left and love it.

• madmanjayWV

@zeeshan2 said...

Buehler is a fade for me given the price, LU he’s going against, and the possible inning count for him

“Buehler remains well behind other Dodgers starting pitchers in the buildup for the season.

Opening Day starter Clayton Kershaw, Alex Wood, Julio Urías and Ross Stripling have made multiple intrasquad starts, several of them up to six innings.

“All I know is Walker feels good and we’re going to be very careful while we continue to build him up,” said manager Dave Roberts, who earlier said if Buehler can throw three or four innings, he’d take it.

Roberts said Buehler backed off throwing during the three-month pandemic break without knowing when it would end.”

https://www.mlb.com/news/walker-buehler-summer-camp-2020

I thought the same about the GLASNOW fade y’day..that didn’t work out 2 well

• JIB7

Was KC scheduled to face a lefty as some point? Saw them being touted as being a great RH stack, but seeing a RHP for DET now.

• mr_papageorgio

Apparently Justus Sheffield has a new fastball and looked really good in spring training…

• Unico10

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #86

RG Tiered Ranking

@mr_papageorgio said...

Apparently Justus Sheffield has a new fastball and looked really good in spring training…

Yeah…. I am considering him… but Angels don’t offer much K upside usually

• Unico10

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #86

RG Tiered Ranking

Royals are priced like they would face Scherzer… nuts…

• JTAx33

Locking in Lindblom and not looking back

• 7klub06

need a SP2 for the DK turbo afternoon slate. Also TB/Cincy stack with Swanson and Cub one offs?

• Sleazygreazy

I have an Adam Frazier problem, he has been nothing short of awful thus far. Today is the day.

With this dumpster fire of pitching options, def going to have some Sheffield, Angels have looked bad but if Rendon plays that lineups looks a loooot better and maybe he gives them a spark. Rendon in and I’ll cut my exposure in half.

• jdmortimer

On Fanduel, I won 4 three dollar bonus entries for the NBA on 7/30. Just got the message from Fanduel that they voided these entries. Don’t you think they should offer some type of compensation for this? They also voided the NHL game on 8/2.

• madmanjayWV

@jdmortimer said...

On Fanduel, I won 4 three dollar bonus entries for the NBA on 7/30. Just got the message from Fanduel that they voided these entries. Don’t you think they should offer some type of compensation for this? They also voided the NHL game on 8/2.

Is something going on with the NBA?
    Why would they take them away?
    Did they give u $12 on your balance by chance?

ALSO
    $200 to win and $1,000 total prizes — for the FantasyDraft MLB FreeRoll 2nite —

might as well hop on in…….

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-Gambler (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL only.