2:10 PM EST : Kansas City ( 133 ) at Chi Sox ( -144 ) —- T: 9
    2:10 PM EST : Detroit ( 0 ) at Minnesota ( 0 ) —- T: —
    2:15 PM EST : Milwaukee ( 107 ) at St. Louis ( -116 ) —- T: 8.5
    3:05 PM EST : LA Angels ( 0 ) at Texas ( 0 ) —- T: —
    4:05 PM EST : Houston ( -150 ) at Oakland ( 138 ) —- T: 7.5
    4:10 PM EST : Arizona ( -192 ) at San Diego ( 176 ) —- T: 8
    4:10 PM EST : LA Dodgers ( 0 ) at Seattle ( 0 ) —- T: —
    7:10 PM EST : NY Mets ( 172 ) at Philadelphia ( -187 ) —- T: 9

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – MLB strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterdays games will be moved to yesterdays MLB thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted..

• jsteele1020

@NYGfan1983 said...

i make a bit of Lus so i go in all directions,

but matchups are good start

some luck too

The only luck I have is bad lol

Ask Gio about it.

• yisman

Carlos Santana is now playing third base.

He hasn’t played third in four years. He really can only play first, so the Phillies acquiring Bour was an odd move.

• KindGuy

@yisman said...

He hasn’t played third in four years. He really can only play first, so the Phillies acquiring Bour was an odd move.

In a few years it’s gonna be the V-mart Miggy situation 2.0. Except, atleast Carlos and Justin aren’t made of glass.

• KindGuy

@elementasrat said...

In a few years it’s gonna be the V-mart Miggy situation 2.0. Except, atleast Carlos and Justin aren’t made of glass.

And their contracts aren’t ridiculous. Phillies front office is probably competent to avoid that.

• walkoff9

RG Overall Ranking

@yisman said...

For a playoff team its probably worth what they gave up for a pinch hitter.

• tjventre

@jsteele1020 said...

I’ve been going by the Grind Down every day and look at the consensus rankings, but keep losing. Anybody have any other tips? I’m missing something.

I wouldn’t go with the Grind Down or the rankings, at least not exclusively. Better to use those to get a rough gauge of ownership levels, but not for much more than that, if anything. Instead, look at winning lineups from previous nights, alongside statistical splits for the players in those lineups. What were the creators of those lineups thinking? If you can start thinking like the creators of winning lineups, you’ll start creating your own winning lineups. Look at historical stats for pitchers and hitters who had big nights. For instance, run a search for every hitter that scored x points or above in the past month. What, if anything, did they have in common? What trends can you pick out? Were the righties all facing lefty starters? Were their teams’ implied-runs totals all above a particular threshold? Were the bullpens bad? Do the same thing for pitchers. Were the high-scoring pitchers all facing high-strikeout teams? And on and on it goes.

This approach or something similar will probably make you a better player. Problem is, it will also take you hours and hours and hours (days and days and days) to do it correctly. And there you see the difference between those who win consistently and those who consistently donate. Unfortunately, there is no magic wand to wave to be good at this. It’s just good old-fashioned hard labor.

• KindGuy

@tjventre said...

I wouldn’t go with the Grind Down or the rankings, at least not exclusively. Better to use those to get a rough gauge of ownership levels, but not for much more than that, if anything. Instead, look at winning lineups from previous nights, alongside statistical splits for the players in those lineups. What were the creators of those lineups thinking? If you can start thinking like the creators of winning lineups, you’ll start creating your own winning lineups. Look at historical stats for pitchers and hitters who had big nights. For instance, run a search for every hitter that scored x points or above in the past month. What, if anything, did they have in common? What trends can you pick out? Were the righties all facing lefty starters? Were their teams’ implied-runs totals all above a particular threshold? Were the bullpens bad? Do the same thing for pitchers. Were the high-scoring pitchers all facing high-strikeout teams? And on and on it goes.

This approach or something similar will probably make you a better player. Problem is, it will also take you hours and hours and hours (days and days and days) to do it correctly. And there you see the difference between those who win consistently and those who consistently donate. Unfortunately, there is no magic wand to wave to be good at this. It’s just good old-fashioned hard labor.

If I knew computer programming, I’d be dangerous. Lol.

• jsteele1020

@tjventre said...

Nw that is some good info! Where would you go to run those kind of searches?

• tjventre

Yahoo has a really good research tool (on its desktop portal) that allows you to search every player in every contest for the current season. The tool also tracks each slate’s optimal lineup, best submitted lineup, slate-average score, and standard deviation. The Yahoo app has the same player research, but I don’t think it does all the lineup stuff, at least not yet.

“FD” and “DK” might have these sorts of tools also, but I don’t play there so I’m not sure.

• tjventre

Daily Fantasy Nerd allows you to download its past Excel sheets, from which you can track a lot of the advanced stats and Vegas numbers to see how each performs over time as a predictor of high fantasy output. Again, if you want to find any sort of meaningful trends this way, be ready to devote hundreds of hours to do it right. (Full disclosure: I haven’t done that.)

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).