MLB FORUM

Comments

• noddy

MLB is by far my most favorite daily fantasy sport to play. My question is can you profit playing 50/50’s and head to heads? It seems like it would be very hard to win 58% or more of your contests. I would love to grind all season, but there is so much information out there it seems like its hard to gain an edge. Am I better off just multi entering GPP’s and hoping for a big score?

• Jvanspro

You can absolutely be profitable. Especially right now early in the season. There’s a lot of dead money right now with newer players

• noddy

Anyone else care to comment or share their experiences?

• tgowen

• Blogger of the Month

I think they can be profitable in the long term, but mainly if you are a high volume player. For the average player 3-5 50/50’s or H2H’s means there isn’t as much room for error on a given day, and a bad day means you need at least two good ones to likely get back to even.

For a high volume player they can participate in 100’s of 50/50 and H2H contests each day which leads to a greater variety of competition. It is very unlikely they will have a day where they are completely shutout, while for a low volume player can face that situation far more frequently. A bad day can impact a high volume player like it does a low volume player, the difference though lies in the frequency they can happen and the subsequent frequency that positive results must happen to make up for it.

Just my opinion though. I obviously have no experience playing cash games at a high volume.

• tvsfrink

I’m a low volume cash player in several sports and I’m moderately profitable in each. The answer to these types of questions is almost always “yes” but how you go about it is the real question.

• noddy

@tvsfrink said...

I’m a low volume cash player in several sports and I’m moderately profitable in each. The answer to these types of questions is almost always “yes” but how you go about it is the real question.

Do you prefer h2h or 50/50’s?

• Roma315

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #86

RG Tiered Ranking

Yes you can profit. Find a strategy that works for you, trust the process, and go with it.

• eksdonkey

I agree with Jvanspro, right now is the best time to play in MLB no matter what the contest. I personally prefer 50/50’s of atleast 20 players

• walkoff9

RG Overall Ranking

Yes

People make a lot more mistakes on mlb than nba and nfl cash games.

I mean for christ sakes franciaco liriano was mega chalk the other night…hes the opposite of a cash game pitcher.

• tvsfrink

@noddy said...

Do you prefer h2h or 50/50’s?

I’ve never played a single h2h. Too much work to figure out who I’m playing.

• depalma13

MLB is by far my most profitable sport, but I would never grind out cash games. Especially now with many tournaments limited to 20 entries.

• SouthernShield

#CashGames4LifeYo

• KardiacChris

Play mostly $100 dbl up 11 entry contests and have been very profitable.

• tgowen

• Blogger of the Month

The Mets hit 7 HR’s yesterday and Murphy scored 37pts on DK. If you didn’t stack them you weren’t winning a GPP, and likely weren’t cashing at a meaningful level (when comparing the risk/reward of those games).

However, you could absolutely avoid having those guys in the lineup and still cash in a 50/50 or DU last night and have a good night. It was a great example of why I think cash games can be far more profitable than people realize and why I consider winning a GPP (or winning a meaningful amount in a GPP) more of a product of luck than I do being successful in cash games on a regular basis.

In my opinion if you are a good player you can be successful in cash games on a regular basis, and if you aren’t a good player you can’t. However, a bad player could luck their way to a massive payday in a GPP where a good player may never see it happen.

• bhdevault

• Lead Moderator

• Blogger of the Month

Love that post Tgowen.

• Galante118

• Blogger of the Month

Play the 50/50s instead of Double ups and save a ton of money on rake over the course of the season.

• vucdores1

@tgowen said...

The Mets hit 7 HR’s yesterday and Murphy scored 37pts on DK. If you didn’t stack them you weren’t winning a GPP, and likely weren’t cashing at a meaningful level (when comparing the risk/reward of those games).

However, you could absolutely avoid having those guys in the lineup and still cash in a 50/50 or DU last night and have a good night. It was a great example of why I think cash games can be far more profitable than people realize and why I consider winning a GPP (or winning a meaningful amount in a GPP) more of a product of luck than I do being successful in cash games on a regular basis.

In my opinion if you are a good player you can be successful in cash games on a regular basis, and if you aren’t a good player you can’t. However, a bad player could luck their way to a massive payday in a GPP where a good player may never see it happen.

I didnt have a single Met, nor did I have Murphy. I had 5 players from Coors and Arenado was not one of them, yet I still cashed in all my 50/50s thanks to Robbie Ray.

• Codith

My strategy in cash is not to stack. I leave stacking to GPP/100 mans. If you stack and one or two guys in that stack let you down, it can really hinder your cash chances. I like to go with no more than 2 guys from a team, usually I am picking out guys who are trending upwards, have the right stats on their side, and are hitting in a prime spot. IT seems to be working. GPP’s on the other hand I have not done as well, so there is that haha.

• Jvanspro

@tgowen said...

Bingo!!!!

I’ve profited on every slate so far this season and haven’t done great in my GPP games. I currently have a 58% ROI in cash games. I fully expect that to regress some over the course of the season but the point is if you are building consistent good lineups you can absolutely be profitable in cash games.

• srcripps

• x5

Blogger of the Month

I’m generally a one LU kind of player and I haven’t made a profit at all this past week. I’m striking it up to variance but after reading some of these posts on this thread, maybe my biggest problem is the lineup construction. I stack usually 2-3 guys from a high O/U game on one side and of course when it doesn’t hit, there goes the ball game and the cash line! Again, I’m a small-time casual player but would like to at least hit a double up once in a while. The other day, I was able to have Scherzer and 6 of the Coors’ bats from that 2-1 game and managed all of 50 pts. That’s probably been my lowest point of the week and it hadn’t gotten better.

• WidumBoise

@depalma13 said...

MLB is by far my most profitable sport, but I would never grind out cash games. Especially now with many tournaments limited to 20 entries.

This.

There is more DEAD money to be USURPED in GPPs across all formats/sports of the daily fantasy industry.

Cash games are DEAD IMHO.

• sjs1890

• 2013 DraftStreet DSBC Finalist

@WidumBoise said...

This.

There is more DEAD money to be USURPED in GPPs across all formats/sports of the daily fantasy industry.

Cash games are DEAD IMHO.

Agreed cash games are pointless and silly. With rake the way it is and touts working together and giving out picks the sites are the ones who win in cash games. Cash games have been dead for awhile now.

• bhdevault

• Lead Moderator

• Blogger of the Month

I haven’t hit a GPP since last MLB season. I play with the same rake as everyone and have just one buddy that I chat with about my lineups, we normally land on different players in our lineups as well.

Cash games are dead? How come I keep increasing my bankroll through every season via cash games?

I just am not a fan of someone telling others what is or what isn’t good for them. Everyone is different. I struggle with GPP’s as I’m not an out-of-the-box thinker, I’m not contrarian enough. There may be others out there that are in the same boat. However, if I was brand new, and read some of the posts on this forum telling me that 50/50’s were a waste of time, double ups were a waste of time, etc.. I may have never gotten into DFS the way I have.

Everyone should try different types of contests and see what’s best for them. Don’t listen to anyone on here that wants to tell you if DFS is dead, cash games are dead, GPP’s are dead, nothing.

• draped

@bhdevault said...

I haven’t hit a GPP since last MLB season. I play with the same rake as everyone and have just one buddy that I chat with about my lineups, we normally land on different players in our lineups as well.

Cash games are dead? How come I keep increasing my bankroll through every season via cash games?

I just am not a fan of someone telling others what is or what isn’t good for them. Everyone is different. I struggle with GPP’s as I’m not an out-of-the-box thinker, I’m not contrarian enough. There may be others out there that are in the same boat. However, if I was brand new, and read some of the posts on this forum telling me that 50/50’s were a waste of time, double ups were a waste of time, etc.. I may have never gotten into DFS the way I have.

Everyone should try different types of contests and see what’s best for them. Don’t listen to anyone on here that wants to tell you if DFS is dead, cash games are dead, GPP’s are dead, nothing.

this is spot on. there are certain strengths you need as a cash player that greatly differ from those that help GPP players. I’m in the same boat of being a profitable cash player, but a break even at best GPP player. Over time I have put a lot more of my money into cash games because of that (I play about 90% cash). Part of growing as a DFS player is realizing your strengths and focusing on matching your contest selection with your strengths. and that goes beyond GPP vs Cash. Are you better in small group 50/50’s or large group? Are you more risk averse and play mostly H2H’s or are you more willing to take on more 50/50’s and multipliers. There isn’t one strategy to profit for the masses, its all about the individual.

One thing that really helped me last year when I first started was looking at the top successful players’ lineups and seeing whose lineups matched up best with my thought process (ie. whose lineups did I see and immediately say “ya that thought process they went through makes sense to me and is what I am trying to do but in a slightly better way than I did it”). That really helped me to refine my process and go from getting mostly great plays to an entire lineup of great plays more consistently. CSURAM88 was a great person for MLB cash games in helping me to do that.

• sjs1890

• 2013 DraftStreet DSBC Finalist

@bhdevault said...

Too funny stating an opinion is apparently frowned upon. If “new players” can’t figure out their game selection on their own then it’s on them. My point is rake is only going up and info and lineup sharing is common. Especially with the incoming merger rake going up will not help cash games.

• kieff5280

• Blogger of the Month

@bhdevault said...

I agree. I spent 2 years playing a mix of games and once I realized what I was goo at, I now attack that

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).