MAIN FORUM

Comments

• BPhillips44

First off: I just do this for fun and it is my favorite hobby. I will never do this for primary income, but I do like to win when I play. Question is: Am I close?

I played in 210 H2H on DK this season and posted an 89-121 record——NOT GOOD

But if I look at the points per night for my opponent and myself it wound up being only a -3.32 margin for the entire season. That is telling me I am close, but is that a deceiving statistic?

For my 210 DK H2H’s, I averaged 106.58 points per night. I played the main slate every night and the short late game slate occasionally as well.

Also, I am wondering if I stopped doing the H2H’s and entered in 50/50’s instead, would it look any different. My guess is my cash differential for the season would have been similar, or am I way off?

I research some every night using Fantasy Labs, and the First Look+ Grind Down on Rotogrinders, which I know probably isn’t enough.

Anyways, just looking for some advice for the future to be more successful

• TheRyanFlaherty

Just my immediate thought when reading that – why do you play cash games?

It’s a generalization, but it seems most people playing for fun are more inclined to throw a few bucks into GPP’s.
    Now maybe the simple reason is head to heads are what you consider “fun”.
    But that’s a large enough sample to show that the cash h2h’s aren’t the best idea of you’re looking to be profitable. (Assuming there wasn’t a gradual increase in winning % through the year) And at least my experience of late, cash games continue to get sharper. I’m not sure the potential roi makes sense if you aren’t confident you can win the 55-60% or whatever.

Sorry that’s not really answering the question, but that’s where my mind went so I decided to share.
    Hopefully others will be wiser when it comes to more directly answering you. I did have some thoughts on that as well, but I’ll leave it to those more qualified.

• deaddogseye

Sounds like we are somewhat similar. I play for fun also and i play mostly cash games. Its a hobby for me, i don’t play a lot of $$$ but i do want to win and spend a lot of time making my lineups — I’ll play 2 and typically throw my preferred lineup into a GPP just for fun – and i hit the cash line reasonably enough But I’m really not that concerned with ROI and that kind of stuff. That’s being said i do ok.

I once called the Fantasy channel on Sirius XM and asked about H2H approaches. FWIW Tommy G said the best strategy for H2H is don’t play them. If you do play them i think you want to tend toward the chalk. But i think you might like DUs better — you might want to limit yourself to single entry which is what i prefer.

As for the research i fnd the stuf on this site very good. I really look at all of it and try to get a consensus. I build a lineup on my own first then go to the research stuff and see if it confirms my instincts. But i look at all of it —First Look Grind down expert survey, pitcing primer whatever JMtoWin or Cheese writes, batter breakdown trendspotting – all of it. Beers 6 pack and pepsis on the bump are good too. If you are premium member the expert chat can help a lot From that a picture emerges and i go from there. Hope this helps

• bigez952

@deaddogseye said...

FWIW Tommy G said the best strategy for H2H is don’t play them.

I do agree if you have a small bankroll and only play $10-$20 a night head to heads are probably not the best game choice. The advantage of head to heads comes in when you can play 50+ a slate and get matched up vs. a variety of players. In a 50/50 or double up if you miss the cash line by 0.5 points you get $0 where it is extremely rare to have a $0 night playing high volume head to heads. Of course it is just as rare to win 100% of them so if you can win 55%+ of them over the entire season it is a slow lower risk way of building a bankroll.

For example this year my W/L record in $1 head to heads was 2629-1878 for a winning % of 58.33 and profit in just these head to head games of $225.20. You will never get rich with this approach but it is a way to slowly build a bankroll to use in GPP’s in the hopes of hitting a big score once or twice a season.

• bhdevault

• Lead Moderator

• Blogger of the Month

@bigez952 said...

I do agree if you have a small bankroll and only play $10-$20 a night head to heads are probably not the best game choice. The advantage of head to heads comes in when you can play 50+ a slate and get matched up vs. a variety of players. In a 50/50 or double up if you miss the cash line by 0.5 points you get $0 where it is extremely rare to have a $0 night playing high volume head to heads. Of course it is just as rare to win 100% of them so if you can win 55%+ of them over the entire season it is a slow lower risk way of building a bankroll.

For example this year my W/L record in $1 head to heads was 2629-1878 for a winning % of 58.33 and profit in just these head to head games of $225.20. You will never get rich with this approach but it is a way to slowly build a bankroll to use in GPP’s in the hopes of hitting a big score once or twice a season.

He nailed it. Too many out there don’t understand that playing 10 $1 Head to heads is MUCH better than 1 $10 H2H.

I built my bankroll strictly on cash games, however, it’s not for everyone. I just have a very chalky way of thinking and GPP’s I have always struggled with as I cannot wrap my head around playing guys not in great spots.

• BPhillips44

Thanks for the advice guys, this is good stuff

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-Gambler (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL only.