MLB FORUM

Comments

• r8tr25

Looking to start MLB DFS and was curious of the top 5 stat categories in both offense and pitching that people are looking at

• Roma315

Pitching is obviously Ks and Wins, and offense is HRs, RBIs, steals, Hit, double, triple, runs scored and walks.
    MLB is by far my best sport but you need to check each site to see how they score everything. I stay away from DK MLB because the 2 pitcher senerio.

• Jaredmlevitt

You’ll want to look at some other data other than your key HR/RBI/Runs/etc.

For hitters, I like to focus on WOBA/Hard hit rate/BABIP. You’ll see some lower owned guys that have a high hard hit rate but low BABIP (keep in mind HR’s are excluded from this). Those guys are hitting it hard, but right at someone. Only a matter of time before it drops. Also, pay attention to L/R splits.

For pitchers, I look at swstr%, k%, hard hit rate, soft hit rate, FB%, HR/FB %. You can use these #‘s to figure out which pitchers to throw and which pitchers to target.

If you are just starting out, I highly recommend fangrapsh.

• BKLionKing

@Roma315 said...

Pitching is obviously Ks and Wins, and offense is HRs, RBIs, steals, Hit, double, triple, runs scored and walks.
    MLB is by far my best sport but you need to check each site to see how they score everything. I stay away from DK MLB because the 2 pitcher senerio.

I’m sorry, but this is terrible advice for any type of research in MLB DFS. I, personally, prefer the 2 pitcher format, but we’ll see what happens this year with Aces being gone. I always start by looking at the pitchers on a slate and going from there. There is almost always good value to be found in hitters when you know where the opposing pitchers are weak.

For pitchers, I look at K%, BB%, SIERA/xFIP, SwStr%, and Hard%. I then look at their Opponents BB%, K%, wOBA, and wRC+.

Edit…

Wanted to add that all these stats are vs handedness.

• jakehari

Hard Hit Rate is my favorite stat to use for stacking against pitchers. For example, I loved stacking the Mariners last year (Cano, Seager, Smith, even Lind) against pitchers who had a 33-40% hard hit rate vs. lefties. Had a little bit of success in low-stakes GPPs doing this, but there is no “one stat” or even 5 that will be the end all, be all.

• nychas

Take 2 and hit to right!

• thinslicer

Love all the advice guys, thank you. I would like to add that K/BB is a good stat to quickly measure pitchers too, and of course you cannot ignore weather and Park Factor, Fantasy Labs and Fangraphs should have all you need to get started OP. Also, I would check out sabersim projections as well.

My favorite stats are HH, HH/BABIP, splits, like @Jaredmlevitt mentioned, I also love the L10 stat compare to the HH rate, and I love the distance stat. BTW, anyone know how to find distance on Fangraphs, I don’t see it anywhere on the leaderboards, I am trying to use importhtml to fangraphs to get distance on my spreadsheet, thanks!

• crazydaisy2013

The best way to approach MLB dfs is to find predictive stats like recent batted ball speed and inefficient pricing. That’s what I began to do towards the end of last year and my results were incredibly better. I would also suggest learning how to be contrarian, which is different than being “contrarian.” MLB dfs rewards players that know how much risk to expose themselves to without over leveraging themselves. I think that’s the hardest lesson for most players to learn since most humans are wired to mitigate risk.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Sites mentioned in this thread

Use our links to sign up and deposit on sites listed in this thread to get these bonuses:

Advertisement

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week. Our goal is to help all of our members make more money playing daily fantasy sports!

Disclosures: All RotoGrinders content contributors are active DFS players. Contributor screen names can be found on their respective RotoGrinders profile pages. Contributors reserve the right to use players or strategies not discussed in their content on RotoGrinders.