MAIN FORUM

Comments

• mannmicj

MLB Newbie lesson learned. Don’t waste time researching, simply stack your lineup with players playing at TEX, COL, etc.. Add two stud SP’s with a good matchups and call it good (vs HOU). Honestly, it MAY be that easy. Unfortunately, it took me one day of wasting time on other research to learn this lesson.

While the experts will give you a bunch of players to target, follow what they actually do and not what they say…. you will see stacking. Does it seem boring? Yes. Does it take skill? Not really, just don’t be stubborn about it. Am I pissed that today was a waste? Yes :)

Again, I’m a DFS MLB newbie, but this message was sent loud and clear after looking at the leader-board today (PHI/TEX).

While it won’t work everyday, over the long haul, it will most likely payoff.

• kdevoid23

I’m with you Manniacs. Yesterday was my first day as well and did way too much bvp research as opposed to just picking on the weakest starting pitcher of the day and stacking. Lesson learned for me as well. DFS baseball seems to lean a bit more towards picking a team to do well as opposed to individual players. I will be stacking from here on out and while I don’t believe it is a full-proof strategy, it does look like a simpler strategy then going through every players bvp everyday. Thanks for starting the conversation.

• sethayates

@Manniacs said…

Thanks for the feedback. There are actually some great tips in there. This thread has been very valuable to me. Let’s keep it going.

In all seriousness, stacking is a viable strategy when deployed properly. MLB is the same as every other sport in that you want to find a weakness and exploit it. Unlike other sports where players take value away from each other, in MLB they actually add value. If you team Miggy, Vmart, and Austin Jackson (DET 3-5) and the first two get on and 3rd drives them in with a HR it equals some serious points. The thing with stacking is learning when to deploy it and how many players you want. FD only allows 4 players from same team (most call that a mini stack). On DK you only have to have hitters from 3 teams so you can concievably have 6 batters from the same team. Since DK doesn’t give negative for outs there wasn’t necissarily a downside to stacking up 6 Phillies against the worst P on the board. From what I have seen, things will leval out and the mini stack (4 hitters) is the way to go. Yesterday I had 4 PHI players then Cano, Posey, B. Miller. It placed in GPP and that’s what I will roll for GPP most nights. 4 bats from same team (if the matchup is there) and the as many other good hitters as I can get. Obviously, there will still be nights where a full stack wins but its a wildly variable strategy. There is a reason you don’t see people stack h2h and 50/50s.

• jjohns8789

STLcards won yesterday cause he is one of the most brilliant DFS minds out there if you don’t like getting beat by him then you probably shouldnt even play DFS. But seriously on a lighter note dont give up on your research after one day man if you are doing it right you will be profitable in the long run stick to your guns and bet within your means and see how a larger sample does your bankroll.

• bcarnott

Stacking is viable, and often necessary in large GPP’s, in NBA and NHL so I don’t see how anyone would feel as though it is reprehensible to do so in MLB. Hell, you could even find a good stack in NFL.

While stacking is profitable on the right matchup, so is doing regular old BvP/BvL/BvR research. It’s all probability in baseball, which is why it is commonly referred to as a game of statistics.

A similar strategy to stacking would be taking 2-3 hitters from each team, closely intertwined in the order, and hoping they feed off each other to have a good night against a bad SP. Honestly, there are so many strategies, no one strategy proves better than the rest.

• iconfantasyJoe

The irony here is that the guy who took down 1st, 3rd, and 9th in the strikeout on FD had exactly 0 Phillies or Marlins hitters on any of those 3 teams.

Jose Fernandez, Yadier Molina, Hunter Pence + 3 Whitesox +3 Mariners = 15K

/thread

• Putz

@iconfantasyJoe said…

The irony here is that the guy who took down 1st, 3rd, and 9th in the strikeout on FD had exactly 0 Phillies or Marlins hitters on any of those 3 teams.

Jose Fernandez, Yadier Molina, Hunter Pence + 3 Whitesox +3 Mariners = 15K

/thread

How many other teams went with that winning lineup? Mariners?

• osubase34

@jjohns8789 said…

STLcards won yesterday cause he is one of the most brilliant DFS minds out there if you don’t like getting beat by him then you probably shouldnt even play DFS. But seriously on a lighter note dont give up on your research after one day man if you are doing it right you will be profitable in the long run stick to your guns and bet within your means and see how a larger sample does your bankroll.

STLcards is a beast in mlb. And you will see him win many more tournaments without stacking. Ignorant to say stacking is the only way to go. Keep doing your research and trust your gut. Only takes one good lineup to bankroll your season

• mannmicj

@sethayates said…

In all seriousness, stacking is a viable strategy when deployed properly. MLB is the same as every other sport in that you want to find a weakness and exploit it. Unlike other sports where players take value away from each other, in MLB they actually add value. If you team Miggy, Vmart, and Austin Jackson (DET 3-5) and the first two get on and 3rd drives them in with a HR it equals some serious points. The thing with stacking is learning when to deploy it and how many players you want. FD only allows 4 players from same team (most call that a mini stack). On DK you only have to have hitters from 3 teams so you can concievably have 6 batters from the same team. Since DK doesn’t give negative for outs there wasn’t necissarily a downside to stacking up 6 Phillies against the worst P on the board. From what I have seen, things will leval out and the mini stack (4 hitters) is the way to go. Yesterday I had 4 PHI players then Cano, Posey, B. Miller. It placed in GPP and that’s what I will roll for GPP most nights. 4 bats from same team (if the matchup is there) and the as many other good hitters as I can get. Obviously, there will still be nights where a full stack wins but its a wildly variable strategy. There is a reason you don’t see people stack h2h and 50/50s.

Thanks for sharing Seth. That is awesome information.

• mannmicj

@jjohns8789 said…

Thanks jjohns. I pretty good with bankroll management and don’t bite off more than I can afford to lose. No more than 10% a day for me :) BTWSTLcards is the man, there is no doubt about that.

• mannmicj

@bcarnott said…

Stacking is viable, and often necessary in large GPP’s, in NBA and NHL so I don’t see how anyone would feel as though it is reprehensible to do so in MLB. Hell, you could even find a good stack in NFL.While stacking is profitable on the right matchup, so is doing regular old BvP/BvL/BvR research. It’s all probability in baseball, which is why it is commonly referred to as a game of statistics.A similar strategy to stacking would be taking 2-3 hitters from each team, closely intertwined in the order, and hoping they feed off each other to have a good night against a bad SP. Honestly, there are so many strategies, no one strategy proves better than the rest.

Thanks bcarnott. I agree.

• mannmicj

@osubase34 said…

STLcards is a beast in mlb. And you will see him win many more tournaments without stacking. Ignorant to say stacking is the only way to go. Keep doing your research and trust your gut. Only takes one good lineup to bankroll your season

A beaver fan. Nice to see. I live in Oregon. Thanks for posting.

• tone17

I did not stack and won almost everything I entered yesterday. Stacking is a great way to win GPPs, but head to head you are screwed if the opposing pitcher is on.

• iconfantasyJoe

@Putz said…

How many other teams went with that winning lineup? Mariners?

That wasn’t the point, the point was the OP is freaking out about the stacks that paid off yesterday and fails to note that obviously they were still beatable especially in GPP where contrarian Mariners plays can make someone 20grand.

• chacha59

Manniacs……….People with Bankrolls the size of Orca can afford to stack every team on a given day(most sites allow it) and also put in non stack lineups. Dont get discouraged by this.
    Do your research,play 50/50 games and h2h Games.

This will build your bank roll and then hopefully you will eventually make enough $$$ to pay for your coffee that you will be need to stay up to watch those west coast games that will make or break your day!

Have Fun its a great Hobbie or like my friends would say about me “ADDICTION

• BernieKozar

@sethayates said…

This is not correct. The stack that gives you the highest ceiling is 7 hitters.

• 2leftthumbs

played my second gpp yesterday and even without my pitcher(dumb me took the rain game)i still made a little bit.newbie luck is always a good thing.i am done with nba.to me mlb is like nfl where you dont worry about other players as much and no blowout factor.

• ActionJunkie

So hindsight is 20/20 and when a team goes off/pitcher implodes, you want the hitters. Moving on to the next thread…

• Putz

@iconfantasyJoe said…

That wasn’t the point, the point was the OP is freaking out about the stacks that paid off yesterday and fails to note that obviously they were still beatable especially in GPP where contrarian Mariners plays can make someone 20grand.

No, meant, how any other teams did the player have to go along with that Mariner stack? Either a homer or has some roll to play tons of team a to go against the grain. Some of the guys in last nights GPPs had 30+ teams, with those placing high in the standing rolling with Hitchinson, Feldman, and/or Perez. Few with Greinke rostered were in serious $$, from what I saw this AM. Having a nice roll to play those against the grainers with a nice stack pays in GPPs. It keeps the debate alive regarding single entry vs. Multiple entry winners in GPPs.

• BernieKozar

by the way, my angels stack yesterday yielded me 62fps. didn’t hear anyone get upset that in the GPPs where I used angels stack i bricked everything.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).