MAIN FORUM

Comments

• AQUAFTM45

I am new to MLS and being so, I look around the industry for expert suggestions and try to figure out why in fact these players are suggested. Well today I got hoodwinked. JBasso ( on the site he writes blogs for), or ibasso, his handle on DK has “some splainin to do!” Out of his 16 GPP suggestions for the day (he actually gives out 2 separate lineups), he used 1/16 in his DK GPP 25 train. This just gives the dude a bad name, lack of credibility and brings up the question of what are some of the experts motives. I say some, as I respect a lot of the guys on here especially Noto and others. But dude, you give the word expert a bad name. Would love to hear Hazz chime in on this, without a PC answer.

• Craptor

Ibasso is pretty bad.

Here’s the problem:

I originally intended on creating a site to post one match picks and what not in the hopes of being able to get a good affiliate following .

The new players that do join play for peanuts and don’t generate enough return to make it worth it giving out the research that I put hours into. Not to mention non affiliates could just poach the info as it was public.

My choices were to stop posting info or to not post all my research and keep the good stuff to myself. The second option didn’t sit well with me ethically so I stopped posting my weekly research. I left up a bunch of beginner general strategy that would help players not get completely crushed though because I want to grow the game.

Take whatever picks you find online with a grain of salt because the best players likely won’t give out their best info and well if they aren’t the best players then it’s prob not good info anyways or stuff that the gen pop is already keen to. (This is not a shot at hesh his picks are generally on the good side and he genuinely wants to help).

Try to do your own research instead of piggy backing off people picks. It will make you better in the long run.

• AQUAFTM45

@Craptor said...

Try to do your own research instead of piggy backing off people picks. It will make you better in the long run.

I get this. I am working towards it in MLS, but WTF 1 out of 16 suggestions used. I am not looking for a winning lineup, but more so the reasoning behind picks to build my knowledge. Thanks for the advice. I get your dilemma…

• AQUAFTM45

Holy crap, Craptor, you are boss in Soccer, cudo’s!

• Craptor

Look for teams who have good match ups, then find players who do things that generate points. And I don’t mean goals and assists.

• hambazaza

RG Blog Program Manager, 2014 RG Party Beer Pong Champion

• Blogger of the Month

• Beer Pong Champion

I genuinely try to build my teams as I’m writing my articles. I also try to include a general strategy section in every piece I’ve written for MLS so far.

It’s very tough to stick to the picks you wrote up if as you’re doing research or as lineups come out something changes drastically. But I generally build anywhere from 1-5 teams and put them in the $3 tournament on dk. You will see a majority of my plays are from my picks I put up here on the site.

As for the best players not giving out their info, I disagree. Schuylar Redpath does an excellent job every week and the rest of the guys on the rotowire team do well as well. I am not a high ranked grinder but that is a function of volume more than results. Like I said I put anywhere between $10 and $25 a week in play. Hardly enough to make noise. So you won’t see me highly ranked in soccer. But you can judge my skill based on my picks and I believe
    As for Ibasso I can’t speak for him, as I have never spoken to him or read his content. I will say that you’ll learn more from someone like him by looking at his lineups more than anything else.

• RangerC

Speaking of MLS – had the weirdest tourney result tonight.

Got 4th in the Derby (out of 64)
    2nd in the Step Over (out of 345)
    and 4th in the Free Contest (whoo Step1 Ticket) out of 1503

with the same lineup. Very odd – gotta love MLS 2 game slates (you either need 60 or 160 to win).

• AQUAFTM45

@RangerC said...

Speaking of MLS – had the weirdest tourney result tonight.

Got 4th in the Derby (out of 64)
    2nd in the Step Over (out of 345)
    and 4th in the Free Contest (whoo Step1 Ticket) out of 1503

with the same lineup. Very odd – gotta love MLS 2 game slates (you either need 60 or 160 to win).

Congrats RangerC!

• old_T

• 2016 DraftKings FHWC Finalist

Never fade Gio! That’ll get you halfway there in MLS.

I haven’t looked at ibasso’s advice from Saturday’s slate, nor his lineups, but I’d be pretty wary of taking advice from anyone who didn’t recommend and play Wright-Phillips in most of his/her lineups (like Hambazaza did in his article here on RG).

• AQUAFTM45

Well I just found out that I put my foot in my mouth. Jbasso, who writes the article is not ibasso on DK. My apologies to Jbasso although I still wish your picks worked out better!

• hambazaza

RG Blog Program Manager, 2014 RG Party Beer Pong Champion

• Blogger of the Month

• Beer Pong Champion

@old_T said...

Never fade Gio! That’ll get you halfway there in MLS.

I haven’t looked at ibasso’s advice from Saturday’s slate, nor his lineups, but I’d be pretty wary of taking advice from anyone who didn’t recommend and play Wright-Phillips in most of his/her lineups (like Hambazaza did in his article here on RG).

I tried. BWP was just too tough to pass up Saturday.

I only wish I didn’t decide to outsmart myself and played him in more than one lineup.

• Craptor

MLS is an interesting creature, player depth is very shallow and certain players playing or not playing grossly affect how teams perform. Jermaine Jones (who contributes nothing for fantasy) for example basically makes new england one of the best teams in the league when in the team or completely mediocre when not.

Some top players don’t have nearly as big as a drop off. Would love to have some sort of effective +/- system developed for soccer. Goals don’t happen enough to be effective though unfortunately.

• gcowboy5886

@hambazaza said...

I tried. BWP was just too tough to pass up Saturday.

I only wish I didn’t decide to outsmart myself and played him in more than one lineup.

I outsmarted myself and didn’t have Gio in any cash lineups yesterday, first time ever for me. And definitely the last! Keeping it simple can be the hardest thing for whatever reason sometimes.

• RangerC

MLS DFS is definitely odd… high percentage of expert players relative to the field size but the dead money is completely dead (Zusi, Bradley, Mix all 6-9% owned in tourneys – I can understand people putting Chance Meyers in and forgetting to check the lineup at 5:30, but the other 3 are at the Gold Cup).

• pepsies15

I feel like I always see the same guys hovering around the money, with the exception of the occasional stinker everyone has from time to time.

• Craptor

dear lord i just looked at the article you are referring to and those are some realllllly bad picks. literally said “what the fuck is this dude even thinking”.

pretty amazing the mental gymnastics people sometimes go through to make certain picks.

big hint: picking away players is generally really really bad.

• ibasso

As a quick FYI, ibasso (me) is NOT the jbasso that writes a blog. Don’t know each other/never met each other. Thanks!

• AQUAFTM45

That was my bad ibasso. I pointed out my mistake in an post up above. You should be writing that article, kick ass lineup on Saturday.

• nblancers

Giovinco is in Russell Westbrook territory – fade at your own risk. As someone already mentioned even good players on the road tend to not produce. Kei Kamara has been fantastic at home but bad on the road and he’s the leading goal scorer in the league.

• AQUAFTM45

I know it’s a short slate over the next couple of days, but if someone is up for a low dollar H2H, I’m down. I need some lineup critique. Let me know your DK username and I will send you an invite. I will send ibasso one too so he can give me a beat down for disparaging his name on here.

• AQUAFTM45

Sent a bunch of you guys H2H invites. Old_T and pepsies, could not find your usernames on DK.

Good luck!

• pepsies15

I’m lmcconahey on DK!

• AQUAFTM45

I’m not sure I want to play an irishman in soccer…

• AQUAFTM45

Cant get it to come up. Invite me if you want, Aquaftm45

• pepsies15

Well, good thing I suck! I just sent you an invite to a low cash H2H.

• AQUAFTM45

@pepsies15 said...

Well, good thing I suck! I just sent you an invite to a low cash H2H.

Let’s get it on! I suck too!

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).