UPDATED AT 6:55 Eastern:
LAST SEC UPDATE: Upling risk a bit in CHI, with showers just forming out ahead of main line.
PRIOR UPDATE : NO change to specific forecasts, just a general outlook: If you want to fully avoid risk tonight, stay away from CIN, CHC, and MIN. Not the worst outlooks, but all carry some risk in different ways.
A handful of games that could be impacted by weather in some way tonight…
DET @ WASH – Some lighter showers look like they will pass DC just north, even showing weakening trends on forecast models, so I think it’s unlikely we see any impacts here. GREEN / YELLOW .
KC @ NYY – Winds NW at 10-15 mph, blowing out to right.
OAK @ BOS – Winds WNW at 10-15mph, blowing across the field left to right.
PIT @ CIN – Nothing too heavy, but steady rain over CIN now. That will eventually clear, though models are differing somewhat on how long that will take. If they do decide to play, and I think they will, it will likely have to be played in some light rain. Most likely scenario here is either just playing the game in the rain, or a late start to let things dry out a bit. There is still at least some PPD risk. YELLOW / ORANGE .
CWS @ TEX – The area of concern here is east of Arlington. GREEN . Winds S at 10-15, that’s blowing in from right.
SD @ CHC – Heavy rain is moving in tonight, it’s just a matter of when. This game will more than likely start OK, it’s just a matter of how many innings we can get through before the rain moves in. Current radar is essentially useless here, since we are talking about a later timeframe for the rain, but current model forecasts bring in the rain around 9-10ish. Keep in mind that because we are relying solely on weather forecast models, and not live radar, that timing is not at all a lock. Current thinking (and I don’t really expect this to change unless models flip wildly before lock) is that most of the game gets in, maybe all of it, but the risk here is that the rain is knocking on the doorstep, it could potentially move in early, and once the heavier rain arrives tonight they will have to call the game, there’s no waiting it out. YELLOW / ORANGE .
BAL @ MIN – Multiple bands of fast moving showers and storms are lifting up from south to north. Any of them have the potential to cause a delay if they pass over the stadium. I feel like the nature of the rain makes pitchers risky, because we could even see multiple delays if multiple bands pass over the city. Again can’t rule out a PPD either, but it’s more than likely to play with off and on rain. YELLOW / ORANGE .
ARI @ COL – Action looks pretty isolated, I’m not concerned. YELLOW / GREEN .
That’s all for now, see you before lock, and stay tuned to twitter @KevinRothWx
GREEN – Play ball!
YELLOW – Delay possible.
ORANGE – Delay likely, PPD possible.
RED – Just say no.