NASCAR FORUM

Comments

• keg4540

Does anyone else feel slighted that they raised this exact same contest from $8 to $9 with the same $50,000 top prize this week? I did not care for the $8 buy-in and wish they would bring back the $3 and $4. They did the same thing with the $333 buy-in this week, which they raised to $444 with the same $7000 top prize. Whoever is in charge of the NASCAR product at DraftKings has lost their damn mind.

• DefinitelyMiami

Pretty shady considering they listed it as a $8 entry on the Summer Bash promo graphic and then changed it.
    It strikes me as greedy but I will be entering so I guess that makes me a hypocrite

• bigperm0107

I will probably max the 4.00 20 entry one and just throw a few in here. I always feel like I can’t compete with the 150 max entries enough to throw much more than that in. Seems like they are really catering these things to the high BR who can afford to drop a ton of lineups in at 9.00 each. At least at $4 the little guys can afford to put in a decent amount of lineups in. These things fill so well I agree with some in here they probably could have dropped the buy in and increase the entries and it would still fill.

• KindGuy

This has been a disturbing trend for DK and it doesn’t look like it’ll end soon. It’s not unique to NASCAR either. They’ve raised the price point of the main GPPS in every sport while keeping the rake the same at 15%.

• DefinitelyMiami

@bigperm0107 said...

At least at $4 the little guys can afford to put in a decent amount of lineups in

Ahh yes, the “little guys” firing off $80+ in entries. LOL spare me

• madmanjayWV

@keg4540 said...

Does anyone else feel slighted that they raised this exact same contest from $8 to $9 with the same $50,000 top prize this week? I did not care for the $8 buy-in and wish they would bring back the $3 and $4. They did the same thing with the $333 buy-in this week, which they raised to $444 with the same $7000 top prize. Whoever is in charge of the NASCAR product at DraftKings has lost their damn mind.

One just needs to understand that the powers 2 be @ DK “know what they are doing”

#CHECKoutTHEfinancials

And the best part is from bigperm0107 “seems like they are really catering these things to the high BR who can afford to drop a ton of lineups at $9 each”

#DINGDINGDINGwegotAWINNA

• DefinitelyMiami

@madmanjayWV said...

One just needs to understand that the powers 2 be @ DK “know what they are doing”

#CHECKoutTHEfinancials

• bigdaddies

• Scumpunch

RG Overall Ranking

Why not just enter 8/9 of the entries that you were planning on putting in the $8 contest and have the same probability of finishing first?

• Stewburtx8

• 2012 FanDuel WFBC Finalist

Personally I LOVE the $8 or $9 prize point much more than the $3-4 price point. $8 is the perfect price point for me to play 15-20 lineups.

That being said, it was kind of strange that they raised this from $8 to $9. My guess is that the $325k came short of being full last week but was pretty close. They wanted to run a bigger promo for Daytona. So they figured increasing it by $1 will not cause anyone who played last week to not play similar entries this week, and the extra $1 per entry will make up the prize pool difference. Just my opinion.

• celtics2448

I personally think $8 is nuts never mind $9 at Daytona. The only way they’ll change is to not enter these contests, otherwise they have no incentive to stop this behavior.

• bigdaddies

Its about the money, not about the players……..LOL DK does not give a squat about us……..the rake is what it is……

• fighton2016

Can someone tell me how DK makes more money in a 9 dollar 350K tournament vs. a 8 dollar 350K tournament with the same (15%) rake?

First one to do this without defying mathematics gets a lucky star from me!

Stewburtx8 is right on this. They came just short last week so bumped it up to 9 dollars to have fewer entries for a better chance of filling the tournament. Sure they care about money, but I have seen so often on here people saying they are greedy, but they get the same return in dollars either way…it just means they dont have overlay (and if you expect them to have overlay every week, then you are the one who needs to adjust)

• dbullsfan

• Ranked #69

RG Tiered Ranking

I’d hope to think those in charge of NASCAR at DK realize there is a Huge difference between races at Sonoma and races at Daytona. I don’t think any of us would have been surprised if they lowered it at the road course but to think that just because they couldn’t fill a huge GPP at Sonoma would have any effect at all at a Saturday night primetime race at Daytona

• bradizpro

• 2016 FABC Finalist

LEFT TURN!

• jilesofthetrees

• 2016 NASCAR Live Finalist

Uhhhh. Unless they raised the rake % chalking this up to ‘greed’ seems looney. If I had to guess they prob are trying to keep the top 10 prize structure they had the last few weeks while reducing the number of entries (it didn’t fill last week.)
    Ok so some maths that I prob f’ed up
    Last week:
    max entries = 48900 at 8$ = 391200 of which 333,000 was prizes = 58200 in rake = 14.88% rake.
    This week:
    max entries = 45700 at 9$ = 411300 of which 350,000 is prizes = 61300 in rake = 14.90% rake.

I mean if they’ve been doing this ultra sneak .0x increase per week for the last few months then that is some tricky bidness. My first guess is they have a target rake and then just round to the nearest hundred of entries so that they can display it like 68.5k.

• fighton2016

@dbullsfan said...

I’d hope to think those in charge of NASCAR at DK realize there is a Huge difference between races at Sonoma and races at Daytona. I don’t think any of us would have been surprised if they lowered it at the road course but to think that just because they couldn’t fill a huge GPP at Sonoma would have any effect at all at a Saturday night primetime race at Daytona

And there is. The GPP was raised by 25K from last week. But they arent going to be stupid and drop the price down to 6 dollars and have to hope that that inspires 20K more entries. If you want either more money in GPPs or less buy in, then make sure it fills friday night and send a message to DK saying that they need to increase entries either by increasing prize pool or lowering the entry amount.

But DK isnt going to raise the number of entries a week after they didnt fill the contest even if it is Daytona.

• Stewburtx8

• 2012 FanDuel WFBC Finalist

@dbullsfan said...

I’ve said this before but other than the Daytona 500, I think a lot of people either play Nascar DFS every week or they do not play at all. The track does not make a big difference in my opinion. I don’t think there is a large percentage of people that say “oh it’s a road course at Sonoma, I am not playing.” But then say “race at Daytona, I’m all-in.” I think people are more sensitive to the guaranteed prize pools available than the track. The TV viewership numbers do not even show a big divide. The way GPP’s have filled do not either.

Also, a Saturday night race in my opinion is not as ideal for DFS. People have more things going on Saturday night than they do Sunday afternoon. Especially in the middle of the summer. For example, I have a wedding Saturday night. I will not be able to watch the race. I may still put lineups in, but maybe not to the same volume as when I can sit home and sweat the race. Just my opinion.

• billholler

Same thing I said in the other thread, this tournament last year had the same payout with a $4 entry fee and just more total entries. Filled with no issues.

• sonic999

Virtually anytime DK offers $100k top prize the contest fills, regardless of sport. They could do a $500k with $100k to first and it would fill no matter what track, court, field, arena or stadium. The payouts are absurdly top heavy and annoying but it would fill.

• Scumpunch

RG Overall Ranking

Sure, and some people would prefer that. Others prefer a higher buy-in with fewer total entries. Neither is inherently better or worse like some in this thread are implying.

Edit: meant as a reply to billholler

• dbullsfan

• Ranked #69

RG Tiered Ranking

Now to the actual race it should be a fun one, there is already a ton of talk on the radio here in Tampa about it being Jr’s last Daytona race and I’m sure the build up will be insane. I hope he qualifies top 10 so I can fade him completely at 30% ownership

• yisman

@fighton2016 said...

Can someone tell me how DK makes more money in a 9 dollar 350K tournament vs. a 8 dollar 350K tournament with the same (15%) rake?

First one to do this without defying mathematics gets a lucky star from me!

Stewburtx8 is right on this. They came just short last week so bumped it up to 9 dollars to have fewer entries for a better chance of filling the tournament. Sure they care about money, but I have seen so often on here people saying they are greedy, but they get the same return in dollars either way…it just means they dont have overlay (and if you expect them to have overlay every week, then you are the one who needs to adjust)

they didn’t have overlay last week

when was the last time a NASCAR GPP actually had overlay? A year ago?

Not filling≠overlay

• billholler

@sonic999 said...

Virtually anytime DK offers $100k top prize the contest fills, regardless of sport. They could do a $500k with $100k to first and it would fill no matter what track, court, field, arena or stadium. The payouts are absurdly top heavy and annoying but it would fill.

Also what I said in the other thread. This was the perfect race for a $600k tourney with 95,000 entries and $100k for 1st. Same crap top heavy payouts we’ve been getting but it would fill and DK makes $160k in rake. Not understanding why that’s so hard for DK to figure out.

• billholler

@yisman said...

they didn’t have overlay last week

The Beast was about 1700 entries short of filling last week.

• billholler

@dbullsfan said...

Jr’s last Daytona race and I’m sure the build up will be insane. I hope he qualifies top 10 so I can fade him completely at 30% ownership

Unless he qualifies maybe 15th or further back, he won’t be 30% owned. Luck and pit strategy babied him to 6th place last week. ;)

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).