NASCAR FORUM

Comments

• gje627

Schedule — all times are Eastern Time (ET)

— Practice 1 (track): All Drivers (38 drivers) Friday, 11:30 AM (FS1)
    Practice 2 (track): All-Star Race (17 drivers) Friday, 12:15 PM (FS1)
    — Practice 2 (track): Monster Energy Open (21 drivers) Friday, 1:00 PM (FS1)
    — Practice 3 (track): All-Star Race (17 drivers) Friday, 1:45 PM (FS1)
    Practice 4 (pit road): Monster Energy Open (21 drivers) Friday, 2:30 PM (None)
    Practice 5 (pit road): All-Star Race (17 drivers) Friday, 2:45 PM (None)
    Qualifying: Monster Energy Open (21 drivers) Friday 6:05 PM (FS1)
    — Qualifying: All-Star Race (17 drivers) Friday, 6:35 PM (FS1)
    — Practice 4 (track): All Drivers (38 drivers) Saturday, 10:30 AM (None)
    — Race: Monster Energy Open (21 drivers) Saturday, 6:00 PM (FS1)
    — Announcement: Fan Vote Winner (1 driver) Saturday, TBD (post Monster Energy Open race)
    — Race: All-Star Race (21 drivers) Saturday, 8:00 PM (FS1)

Note: Due to rain in the forecast, Practice 2 cancelled. All drivers will participate in Practice 1. Also, Monster Energy Open qualifying cancelled. While revised practices 1, 2 and 3 technically occurred very few laps were run and some drivers did not make a lap. Late Friday, NASCAR added an additional “all driver” practice scheduled for Saturday (race-day) morning.

Race Details — Monster Energy Open

— Stage 1: Lap 1-20
    — Stage 2: Lap 21-40
    — Stage 3: Lap 41-50

Race Details — All-Star Race

— Stage 1: Lap 1-30
    — Stage 2: Lap 31-50
    — Stage 3: Lap 51-70
    — Stage 4: Lap 71-80

The field size for the All-Star race will be 21 drivers (see Note 1 below).

Drivers 1-17 below are locked into the All-Star race. Three additional drivers will be added to the race based on winning any one of the three stages in the Monster Energy Open and one more driver will be included by fan vote.

Drivers and Criteria Used to Qualify

1. Ryan Blaney – 2017 Pocono winner
    2. Clint Bowyer – 2018 Martinsville winner
    3. Kurt Busch – 2017 Daytona 500 winner
    4. Kyle Busch – 2017 Pocono winner
    5. Austin Dillon – 2017 Charlotte winner
    6. Denny Hamlin – 2017 New Hampshire winner
    7. Kevin Harvick – 2017 Sonoma winner
    8. Jimmie Johnson – 2017 Texas winner
    9. Kasey Kahne – 2017 Indianapolis winner
    10. Matt Kenseth – 2017 Phoenix winner
    11. Brad Keselowski – 2017 Atlanta winner
    12. Kyle Larson – 2017 Auto Club winner
    13. Joey Logano – 2017 Richmond winner
    14. Jamie McMurray – Former All-Star Race winner winner
    15. Ryan Newman – 2017 Phoenix winner
    16. Ricky Stenhouse Jr. – 2017 Talladega winner
    17. Martin Truex Jr. – 2017 Las Vegas winner
    18. Monster Energy Open Stage 1 Winner
    19. Monster Energy Open Stage 2 Winner
    20. Monster Energy Open Stage 3 Winner
    21. Fan VoteVote Here

21 Monster Energy Open Drivers & 20 Drivers Eligible for Fan Vote (Timmy Hill not eligible)

1) Landon Cassill, 2) Chase Elliott, 3) Aric Almirola, 4) Ty Dillon, 5) Ross Chastain, 6) Daniel Suarez, 7) Erik Jones, 8) Paul Menard, 9) Gray Gaulding, 10) William Byron, 11) Matt DiBenedetto, 12) Michael McDowell, 13) Chris Buescher, 14) David Ragan, 15) Darrell Wallace Jr., 16) AJ Allmendinger, 17) Harrison Rhodes, 18) Reed Sorenson, 19) Timmy Hill, 20) Corey LaJoie, 21) Alex Bowman.

Note 1: By rule, as few as 19 drivers could be in the All-Star race, since it is possible that the same driver could win two or all three stages in the open race. However, in reality, once a driver wins stage 1 he will likely park to save his car for the big race. The same should hold true for the Stage 2 winner; resulting in unique winners for each stage. Thus, the explanation above assumes 21 drivers in the All-Star race.

Note2 : Due to the confusing protocol for this race, this thread header will be updated for corrections/clarifications as needed. Also, given space limitations, additional data, etc. will be added in posts, but not in this header, throughout race week.

• Toddalan2286

So any idea how we determine who will actually be in the race? Do you think they will have the entire field available to draft or just the 17 drivers who are “for sure” in the main event?

• gje627

@Toddalan2286 said...

So any idea how we determine who will actually be in the race? Do you think they will have the entire field available to draft or just the 17 drivers who are “for sure” in the main event?

Salaries aren’t out yet….

NASCAR won’t be revealing the winner of the fan vote until Saturday (day of race).

Not sure what Draftkings is going to do about which drivers it will include in its roster of drivers. Certainly, the 17 drivers above will be there. Don’t know about the rest.

• KindGuy

YAY!!!

• KindGuy

@gje627 said...

Note: This thread header will be updated on Tuesday (5/15/2018) with additional data, information, and relevant links…..

Can’t wait!

• Toddalan2286

Thanks! Something to look forward to! This will be very interesting with the new package. Still think the fast cars like Larson, Harvick, blaney, Busch and Truex will be fast but not sure what kind difference we may see in the “slower” cars and whether or not it can help lessen the gap. Can’t wait!

• Cooper08

• Blogger of the Month

Next year this junk race may be a ten driver field…..

• gje627

@Cooper08 said...

Next year this junk race may be a ten driver field…..

Junk race?

Okay “Debbie-Downer” … growing-up, that’s what my Mom used to call my sisters when they were grumpy. :)

Yeah, everyone on the lead lap will do whatever at the end to win….

Likely ending in a lot of carnage….

But still, it may be the best race of the year to watch from a fan perspective….

While opinions may differ, and that’s cool, it’s better than no NASCAR DFS at all this week.:)

• Cooper08

• Blogger of the Month

@gje627 said...

Junk race?

Okay “Debbie-Downer” … growing-up, that’s what my Mom used to call my sisters when they were grumpy. :)

Yeah, everyone on the lead lap will do whatever at the end to win….

Likely ending in a lot of carnage….

But still, it may be the best race of the year to watch from a fan perspective….

While opinions may differ, and that’s cool, it’s better than no NASCAR DFS at all this week.:)

Lol…I know they have the new package but it’s Charlotte which means the cars will be separated by seconds, not tenths of seconds…I just dislike Charlotte because it became the creator of all these cookie cutters that lead to less than exciting racing…

• whiterock

RG Overall Ranking

The race should include a total of 21 drivers, with the current 17, the fan vote winner, and the winner of each stage in the Open race prior to the All-Star race. That will keep all of us scrambling to create rosters right before the All-Star race begins. I’m excited that Draftkings decided to put up some nice tourneys this week!

• gje627

@whiterock said...

The race should include a total of 21 drivers, with the current 17, the fan vote winner, and the winner of each stage in the Open race prior to the All-Star race. That will keep all of us scrambling to create rosters right before the All-Star race begins. I’m excited that Draftkings decided to put up some nice tourneys this week!

Thank you. I added this information to the header.

If anyone else sees something I post that needs clarification or seems incorrect, please feel to reply with the corrections or better information.

• gje627

@Cooper08 said...

Lol…I know they have the new package but it’s Charlotte which means the cars will be separated by seconds, not tenths of seconds…I just dislike Charlotte because it became the creator of all these cookie cutters that lead to less than exciting racing…

Actually, I think the new “special” All-Star rules changes will make racing closer than it otherwise would be at Charlotte….

Car changes to increase competition are as follows:

Restrictor Plate: restrictor plates (generally only used at Daytona and Talladega) will be required to reduce horsepower. This will reduce speed and torque, primarily in the straightaways.

Splitter: the 2014 front splitter will be used. This will generally make cars looser due to significantly less downforce than is present in the 2018 cars for other races.

Spoiler: A 6-inch high spoiler is required. The spolier will have two (2) extensions measuring 12-inches high, one (1) on each side. This will result in less “clean air” available to the front-runner, and less “dirty-air” for subsequent drivers. This should substantially reduce drag and both rear and side drafting, again making the cars more even.

Plus, stage ends can’t finish under caution, so each stage will need to be decided under green.

Contrary to my usual thoughts about NASCAR, for competition-purposes, I think they did a pretty decent job for this year’s All-Star race…..

• KindGuy

@gje627 said...

Plus, stage ends can’t finish under caution, so each stage will need to be decided under green.

I love it.

• Cooper08

• Blogger of the Month

@gje627 said...

Actually, I think the new “special” All-Star rules changes will make racing closer than it otherwise would be at Charlotte….

Car changes to increase competition are as follows:

Restrictor Plate: restrictor plates (generally only used at Daytona and Talladega) will be required to reduce horsepower. This will reduce speed and torque, primarily in the straightaways.

Splitter: the 2014 front splitter will be used. This will generally make cars looser due to significantly less downforce than is present in the 2018 cars for other races.

Spoiler: A 6-inch high spoiler is required. The spolier will have two (2) extensions measuring 12-inches high, one (1) on each side. This will result in less “clean air” available to the front-runner, and less “dirty-air” for subsequent drivers. This should substantially reduce drag and both rear and side drafting, again making the cars more even.

Contrary to my usual thoughts about NASCAR, for competition-purposes, I think they did a pretty decent job for this year’s All-Star race…..

Lets hope you are correct.

• gje627

@Cooper08 said...

Lets hope you are correct.

Well, unless Draftkings or FanDuel introduce truck, turtle or wiener-dog racing contests this weekend….

It’s all we got….

Before, we thought there would be no NASCAR fantasy contests Saturday, so we didn’t have a choice whether to play or not.

Now, at least we have a choice….

I agree it’s not ideal, but if anyone chooses not to play NASCAR DFS this weekend, I don’t hold any grudges….

Not sure what else to say? ….

• jt77316

I am excited they are offering this, but I will be at the track all day Saturday. If the contests are adjusted to allow the open winners/fan vote winner, there is no way I will be able to play. I am interested to see how this plays out, and will likely fire off a few lineups either way.

• gje627

@Toddalan2286 said...

Second reply to your question….

I did my best to interpret the rules in my revision to the header above….

I think I’m right; or at least mostly right.

But please if you or anyone has a different understanding please don’t hesitate to correct me.

For fantasy purposes, this format will make for a scramble to finish lineups, since up to (and probably) four drivers will be unknown until an hour or less before contests lock.

Given what I believe to be true, I assume Draftkings will price all 38 drivers listed above and it will be up to everyone to personally make sure all drivers in their lineups are actually participating in the All-Star race.

• jt77316

@gje627 said...

Given what I believe to be true, I assume Draftkings will price all 38 drivers listed above and it will be up to everyone to personally make sure all drivers in their lineups are actually participating in the All-Star race.

That will be interesting, but it definitely makes sense if they do it that way.

• DerekO22

@gje627 said...

But please if you or anyone has a different understanding please don’t hesitate to correct me.

For fantasy purposes, this format will make for a scramble to finish lineups, since up to (and probably) four drivers will be unknown until an hour or less before contests lock.

Based on what I’m reading and looking at last year, the field will definitely include 21 drivers. During the Open race, each stage winner will advance and the winners from Stage 1 and Stage 2 will not race any further stages after they’ve won their stage.

Just trying to clear confusion as the thread header says 19-21 drivers.

• stevietpfl

Morning Grind co-host, Lead NASCAR Analyst

• 2015 FanDuel MLB Playboy Mansion Finalist

• 2015 FAWBC Finalist

So the stage winner usually doesn’t race in the next stage in the open race, so it should be 3 different stage winners. Great job with all the info GJE, I can’t wait to see pack racing at Charlotte lol.

As far as DFS goes, I’d be careful with your bankroll for this, it could be a mess, but could also have a nice little edge.

• gje627

@DerekO22 said...

Based on what I’m reading and looking at last year, the field will definitely include 21 drivers. During the Open race, each stage winner will advance and the winners from Stage 1 and Stage 2 will not race any further stages after they’ve won their stage.

Just trying to clear confusion as the thread header says 19-21 drivers.

Yes, I agree.

To clarify, the header says 19-21 drivers because I didn’t see where the rules stated that a driver winning an early stage must sit out a subsequent stage, but like I say in the header my assumption is a driver who wins an early stage will park until the All-Star race since they have already qualified for the race.

Do you know differently? I.e. do you know whether drivers who win an early stage are required to sit-out remaining stages?

If so, I will correct the header but for now I think it’s accurate.

Please let me know. :)

EDIT: Based on your comments and Stevie’s as well, I took the “hints” and changed the header material. In hindsight, I too now agree it’s better; so as not to overly confuse the rules with reality.

THANKS GUYS !!

• gje627

@stevietpfl said...

So the stage winner usually doesn’t race in the next stage in the open race

Thanks….

Given your reply and the equally great input of DerekO22 and others, would the header be easier to read if I changed to NOT distinguish the actual rules from what we all agree will almost certainly be the case for drivers who win Stage 1 and Stage 2 of the open race?

It seems every time I try to make things easy, I only end-up confusing things more !!!

• DerekO22

Here is a clip from an article on ESPN by Bob Pockrass that explains everything All-Star Race –

The Open has three stages: 20 laps, 20 laps and 10 laps. A driver who wins a stage advances to the All-Star Race (and can immediately drop out of the Open). There will be overtime at the end of the first two stages (if needed), and the race will end with two consecutive laps under green with as many attempts as needed for a green-white-checkered finish.

I think you are right gje627, it doesn’t appear they must sit out any stages, but I think it’s safe to assume they will drop out, leaving the three stage winners and the fan vote winner advancing to the All-Star race.

Also worth mentioning – the three stage winners and the fan vote winner will all start 18-21 in the All Star race, since qualifying is Friday night.

• gje627

@DerekO22 said...

Here is a clip from an article on ESPN by Bob Pockrass that explains everything All-Star Race –

The Open has three stages: 20 laps, 20 laps and 10 laps. A driver who wins a stage advances to the All-Star Race (and can immediately drop out of the Open). There will be overtime at the end of the first two stages (if needed), and the race will end with two consecutive laps under green with as many attempts as needed for a green-white-checkered finish.

I think you are right gje627, it doesn’t appear they must sit out any stages, but I think it’s safe to assume they will drop out, leaving the three stage winners and the fan vote winner advancing to the All-Star race.

Also worth mentioning – the three stage winners and the fan vote winner will all start 18-21 in the All Star race, since qualifying is Friday night.

Well-said.

Thanks again !!!

Wow, Draftkings needs to start running contests on interpretation of NASCAR rules !!!

Geez…. Life shouldn’t be this difficult. :)

• stevietpfl

Morning Grind co-host, Lead NASCAR Analyst

• 2015 FanDuel MLB Playboy Mansion Finalist

• 2015 FAWBC Finalist

I highly doubt teams have backup cars for this as well. Like GJE pointed out, we have a very different rules package for this race. So I would expect winners to drop out when they win a stage in the open, and I would expect guys to be aggressive to win a million dollars in the All-Star race.

• Cooper08

• Blogger of the Month

@gje627 said...

Don’t be surprised when pricing comes out and there are only 17 drivers…..you are giving them to much credit as I would not be surprised if there director of racing isn’t aware of the format especially since knowledgeable people on this forum were confused. I can name numerous instances were DK made mistakes and just blamed it on human error vs actually taking accountability for there mistakes… DK has the mentality of weather forecasters were it is ok to be wrong….

BTW the tire package is new this week.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).