NASCAR FORUM

Comments

• gje627

Schedule — all times are Eastern Time (ET)

— Practice 1 (track): All Drivers (38 drivers) Friday, 11:30 AM (FS1)
    Practice 2 (track): All-Star Race (17 drivers) Friday, 12:15 PM (FS1)
    — Practice 2 (track): Monster Energy Open (21 drivers) Friday, 1:00 PM (FS1)
    — Practice 3 (track): All-Star Race (17 drivers) Friday, 1:45 PM (FS1)
    Practice 4 (pit road): Monster Energy Open (21 drivers) Friday, 2:30 PM (None)
    Practice 5 (pit road): All-Star Race (17 drivers) Friday, 2:45 PM (None)
    Qualifying: Monster Energy Open (21 drivers) Friday 6:05 PM (FS1)
    — Qualifying: All-Star Race (17 drivers) Friday, 6:35 PM (FS1)
    — Practice 4 (track): All Drivers (38 drivers) Saturday, 10:30 AM (None)
    — Race: Monster Energy Open (21 drivers) Saturday, 6:00 PM (FS1)
    — Announcement: Fan Vote Winner (1 driver) Saturday, TBD (post Monster Energy Open race)
    — Race: All-Star Race (21 drivers) Saturday, 8:00 PM (FS1)

Note: Due to rain in the forecast, Practice 2 cancelled. All drivers will participate in Practice 1. Also, Monster Energy Open qualifying cancelled. While revised practices 1, 2 and 3 technically occurred very few laps were run and some drivers did not make a lap. Late Friday, NASCAR added an additional “all driver” practice scheduled for Saturday (race-day) morning.

Race Details — Monster Energy Open

— Stage 1: Lap 1-20
    — Stage 2: Lap 21-40
    — Stage 3: Lap 41-50

Race Details — All-Star Race

— Stage 1: Lap 1-30
    — Stage 2: Lap 31-50
    — Stage 3: Lap 51-70
    — Stage 4: Lap 71-80

The field size for the All-Star race will be 21 drivers (see Note 1 below).

Drivers 1-17 below are locked into the All-Star race. Three additional drivers will be added to the race based on winning any one of the three stages in the Monster Energy Open and one more driver will be included by fan vote.

Drivers and Criteria Used to Qualify

1. Ryan Blaney – 2017 Pocono winner
    2. Clint Bowyer – 2018 Martinsville winner
    3. Kurt Busch – 2017 Daytona 500 winner
    4. Kyle Busch – 2017 Pocono winner
    5. Austin Dillon – 2017 Charlotte winner
    6. Denny Hamlin – 2017 New Hampshire winner
    7. Kevin Harvick – 2017 Sonoma winner
    8. Jimmie Johnson – 2017 Texas winner
    9. Kasey Kahne – 2017 Indianapolis winner
    10. Matt Kenseth – 2017 Phoenix winner
    11. Brad Keselowski – 2017 Atlanta winner
    12. Kyle Larson – 2017 Auto Club winner
    13. Joey Logano – 2017 Richmond winner
    14. Jamie McMurray – Former All-Star Race winner winner
    15. Ryan Newman – 2017 Phoenix winner
    16. Ricky Stenhouse Jr. – 2017 Talladega winner
    17. Martin Truex Jr. – 2017 Las Vegas winner
    18. Monster Energy Open Stage 1 Winner
    19. Monster Energy Open Stage 2 Winner
    20. Monster Energy Open Stage 3 Winner
    21. Fan VoteVote Here

21 Monster Energy Open Drivers & 20 Drivers Eligible for Fan Vote (Timmy Hill not eligible)

1) Landon Cassill, 2) Chase Elliott, 3) Aric Almirola, 4) Ty Dillon, 5) Ross Chastain, 6) Daniel Suarez, 7) Erik Jones, 8) Paul Menard, 9) Gray Gaulding, 10) William Byron, 11) Matt DiBenedetto, 12) Michael McDowell, 13) Chris Buescher, 14) David Ragan, 15) Darrell Wallace Jr., 16) AJ Allmendinger, 17) Harrison Rhodes, 18) Reed Sorenson, 19) Timmy Hill, 20) Corey LaJoie, 21) Alex Bowman.

Note 1: By rule, as few as 19 drivers could be in the All-Star race, since it is possible that the same driver could win two or all three stages in the open race. However, in reality, once a driver wins stage 1 he will likely park to save his car for the big race. The same should hold true for the Stage 2 winner; resulting in unique winners for each stage. Thus, the explanation above assumes 21 drivers in the All-Star race.

Note2 : Due to the confusing protocol for this race, this thread header will be updated for corrections/clarifications as needed. Also, given space limitations, additional data, etc. will be added in posts, but not in this header, throughout race week.

• gje627

@Cooper08 said...

Yep, also ku Busch…

Really?

Where did you get that?

The only reason I ask, is Kurt Busch was my second favorite….

Thought everyone else would have missed that besides me !!!

Damn Coop…. I was counting my winnings before you sh*t in my parade !!! :)

• gje627

Also like Logano closer to the front…. And if anyone thinks a dominator is important, Harvick of course.

Like usual, he was “Speedy Fast” !!!

• Cooper08

• Blogger of the Month

@gje627 said...

Really?

Where did you get that?

The only reason I ask, is Kurt Busch was my second favorite….

Thought everyone else would have missed that besides me !!!

Damn Coop…. I was counting my winnings before you sh*t in my parade !!! :)

Sorry to rain 🌧 on your parade….😳….I also like AD…..

• gje627

For me, Austin Dillon’s a tough call….

He may be borderline for me until I see who comes out of the open race and fan vote.

• Cooper08

• Blogger of the Month

@gje627 said...

For me, Austin Dillon’s a tough call….

He may be borderline for me until I see who comes out of the open race and fan vote.

Strictly ownership as nobody will take home, hence your Logano comment. He will need carnage to move up but somebody I know has been saying all week there will be some…😃

• gje627

@Cooper08 said...

Strictly ownership as nobody will take home, hence your Logano comment. He will need carnage to move up but somebody I know has been saying all week there will be some…😃

Yeah….

At the time, “he” (don’t want to embarass anyone in this forum) … must have been dropping acid, as “he” also thought they were running a milk truck/Marty McFly Time Machine Car/2009 “car of tomorrow” hybrid….

So,my guess is “he” is not so sure now. :)

But certainly I would never think of speaking on “his” behalf !!! :)

• Cooper08

• Blogger of the Month

Just saw they will have a one hour practice tomorrow starting at 1030 am for the races tomorrow night. No TV coverage though…..

• gje627

Said this last week….

But damn, I love truck racing.

Another great race….

• dbullsfan

so I’ve been thinking it over on what I think the best strategy is going to be and I think it is just going to be going with good drivers/cars and not paying too much attention to starting spots. Even though there are limited laps I do think you will need to have the dominator if one driver ends up leading 50%+ of the race even if that is only say 60 laps. I’ve seen Dega/Daytona mentioned as far as using place differential but don’t forget those races have 37-40 cars and this one will only have 21 so having someone finish 12th but starting last means a lot less this weekend than it would someone starting say 32nd at Daytona. I actually think finishing position may end up being the most important and one of the hardest to predict. I think to win a GPP you will probably need to have at least the car with the most Dom points and all 6 in the top 9-10 unless like 17-21 finish top 5 somehow.

• Cooper08

• Blogger of the Month

@gje627 said...

Said this last week….

But damn, I love truck racing.

Another great race….

I was just getting ready to post..they slice and dice inside and outside each other all race….unbelievable racing….

Edit…Noah Gragson is good at racing, going to be a star….

• dbullsfan

@Cooper08 said...

I was just getting ready to post..they slice and dice inside and outside each other all race….unbelievable racing….

Edit…Noah Gragson is good at racing, going to be a star….

Gragson is quickly becoming my favorite driver and he isn’t even full time in Xfinity yet much less Cup. Dude is amazing and cares about 1 thing and 1 thing only and that is winning.

• Stangs13

realistically how much time are we thinking we will get between races? 30 minutes?

• Cooper08

• Blogger of the Month

@Stangs13 said...

realistically how much time are we thinking we will get between races? 30 minutes?

I would say that is a good guesstimate.

• gje627

@Stangs13 said...

I would guess a little more, maybe 40 to 60 minutes.

Of course, this won’t be an issue on FD since we’re limited to the drivers already in the All-Star race.

On DK it could be problematic.

The highest chance for rain today falls squarely in the middle of both races tonight. What will happen if they have a rain delay in the open race? Will DK keep contests open for lineup edits or will they lock before all three open stage winners are determined and the fan vote is announced?

Even if it doesn’t rain, I have the same concern if there is excessive carnage or other delays in the open race. NASCAR is notoriously late in starting races, even when things go smoothly.

It would be great to know if the DK contest lock time tonight is a hard deadline or whether they will be paying attention and stay flexible depending on how the first race plays out.

This is my primary worry.

Maybe someone here can check with DK and report back to the rest of us? :)

• Cooper08

• Blogger of the Month

@gje627 said...

I would guess a little more, maybe 40 to 60 minutes.

Of course, this won’t be an issue on FD since we’re limited to the drivers already in the All-Star race.

On DK it could be problematic.

The highest chance for rain today falls squarely in the middle of both races tonight. What will happen if they have a rain delay in the open race? Will DK keep contests open for lineup edits or will they lock before all three open stage winners are determined and the fan vote is announced?

Even if it doesn’t rain, I have the same concern if there is excessive carnage or other delays in the open race. NASCAR is notoriously late in starting races, even when things go smoothly.

It would be great to know if the DK contest lock time tonight is a hard deadline or whether they will be paying attention and stay flexible depending on how the first race plays out.

This is my primary worry.

Maybe someone here can check with DK and report back to the rest of us? :)

Spoke to DK, my best advice is pay attention….below is what the rep told me, first sentence then immediately followed up with second sentence.

We will have a hard lock at the start of the race regardless of weather.

We will be monitoring weather and if we have prior update and knowledge we will adjust and inform all users.

• gje627

@Cooper08 said...

Spoke to DK, my best advice is pay attention….below is what the rep told me, first sentence then immediately followed up with second sentence.

We will have a hard lock at the start of the race regardless of weather.

We will be monitoring weather and if we have prior update and knowledge we will adjust and inform all users.

Thanks….

That was my fear….

The hard lock.

The response says “prior update”, but prior to what….

Rain showers in humid climates blow-up suddenly and wrecks in NASCAR aren’t scheduled….

I was going to include this in my original comment but what DK should do is this….

Wait until the fan vote is announced and at that time, if we’re pushing contest lock or if lock has passed, add 30 minutes to the hard lock time….

This seems to be the most logical solution (to me anyway) because once the fan vote is announced the entire field and starting order will be set.

Due to pre-race “pageantry” (driver and pit crew introductions, etc.) it will be at least 30 minutes after the fan vote announcement before the race could begin.

EDIT:

This way all fantasy contestants will already know what to expect and not be scrambling to finish lineups and check email for something from DK in the few minutes before lock is scheduled. That is, right from the start today we will know we have at least 30 minutes from the announcement of the fan vote to finish lineups.

• mambaland

can anyone tell if anyone on the fanduel contest listed is out ? i know they only listed those who qualified but not sure if anything has changed

• mambaland

is nascar all star like other sports where they sort of take no real risk in getting a injury IE car banged or driver hurt ? Having said that i am not sure how you race cautious at 200mph not sure what the prize is for winning

• gje627

@mambaland said...

can anyone tell if anyone on the fanduel contest listed is out ? i know they only listed those who qualified but not sure if anything has changed

See my comment just a few posts before yours….

“Of course, this won’t be an issue on FD since we’re limited to the drivers already in the All-Star race.”

Also, see page 2 of this thread where this was discussed and FD confirmed no new drivers will be added.

• gje627

@gje627 said...

Wait until the fan vote is announced and at that time, if we’re pushing contest lock or if lock has passed, add 30 minutes to the hard lock time….

Not to talk to myself (or reply to myself)….

BUT

I contacted DK with my concerns about potential problems tonight…. I also offered my proposed fix….

They are pretty good about responding quickly so we’ll see what they say….

• Cooper08

• Blogger of the Month

@gje627 said...

Not to talk to myself (or reply to myself)….

BUT

I contacted DK with my concerns about potential problems tonight…. I also offered my proposed fix….

They are pretty good about responding quickly so we’ll see what they say….

Thanks, let us know…I am pretty sure the four transfer drivers will be lower owned as many will go with Larson and Ku Busch and many will not even know about the four transfer drivers.

• gje627

@Cooper08 said...

Thanks, let us know…I am pretty sure the four transfer drivers will be lower owned as many will go with Larson and Ku Busch and many will not even know about the four transfer drivers.

Well, DK replied….

If we don’t know the entire field before contest lock, they will “scramble” and wait for word from the “track director” and “race operator” before notifying all of us…..

What “word” this will be seems kind of irrelevant as by watching the race everyone here will know if the field is set before lineup lock or not….

Hate to pat myself on the back, but my solution seems to be much easier to implement, far more logical, better for fantasy contestants since we would know RIGHT NOW what to expect…..

Thus, my suggestion is far less likely to result in a “major clusterf**k”.

Oh well, let’s just pray there are no problems and the open race starts on time and finishes quickly, with no rain or wrecks….

• Cooper08

• Blogger of the Month

@gje627 said...

Well, DK replied….

If we don’t know the entire field before contest lock, they will “scramble” and wait for word from the “track director” and “race operator” before notifying all of us…..

What “word” this will be seems kind of irrelevant as by watching the race everyone here will know if the field is set before lineup lock or not….

Hate to pat myself on the back, but my solution seems to be much easier to implement, far more logical, better for fantasy contestants since we would know RIGHT NOW what to expect…..

Thus, my suggestion is far less likely to result in a “major clusterf**k”.

Oh well, let’s just pray there are no problems and the open race starts on time and finishes quickly, with no rain or wrecks….

Rain, wrecks and DK…I will take the odds that something will not work out.

• gje627

@Cooper08 said...

Rain, wrecks and DK…I will take the odds that something will not work out.

Yeah, now I’m debating whether just to skip playing tonight on DK altogether….

It’s already going to be a scramble to finish lineups since 20% of the field won’t be known until an hour or less before lock….

In the event of delays, the protocol established for tonight by DK just seems to make everything potentially much worse.

• gje627

Oh, just a P.S. too (more of an editorial)….

Because, as you can tell, this whole “protocol thing” has me kind of irked….

While I generally make a point to NOT complain about the fantasy sites on the forums….

When other people here contact DK, is anybody else under the impression that DK thinks we’re a bunch of idiots based on their replies back?

I only ask, because that’s pretty much how I feel right now….

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).