NASCAR FORUM

Comments

• gje627

Charlotte Motor Speedway

Schedule — all times are Eastern Time (ET)

— Practice 1: Thursday, 2:35 PM (FS1)
    — Qualifying: Thursday, 7:15 PM (FS1)
    Practice 2: Saturday, 9:05 AM (FS1) cancelled – rain
    — Practice 3 (Happy Hour): Saturday, 11:05 AM (FS1)
    Race: Coca-Cola 600, Sunday, 6:00 PM (Fox)

Race Details

— 400 Laps, 600 Miles
    — Stage 1: Lap 1 – 100; Stage 2: Lap 101 – 200; Stage 3: Lap 201 – 300; Stage 4: Lap 301 – 400

Charlotte Motor Speedway – Fantasy Relevant Track Details/Rankings 2005 to 2018

— 1.5 Mile, Quad-shaped Oval (24 degree bank turns, 5 degree bank straightaways)
    — Rank Most Green Flag Passes: 4th of 23 Tracks (17.47 Green Flag Passes per 100 Miles)
    — Rank Most Quality Passes (Top 15 Passes): 3rd of 23 Tracks (6.17 Quality Passes per 100 Miles)
    — Rank Most Lead Changes: 3rd of 23 Tracks (6.75 Lead Changes per 100 Miles)
    — Rank Most Cautions: 3rd of 23 Tracks (2.55 Cautions per 100 Miles)
    — Rank Highest % Drivers Finishing on Lead Lap: 20th of 23 Tracks (40.05% per Drivers/Race)
    — Rank Highest % DNF Drivers – Mechanical: 10th of 23 Tracks (9.04% per Drivers/Race)
    — Rank Highest % DNF Drivers – Crash: 4th of 23 Tracks (8.68% per Drivers/Race)
    — Rank Highest % DNF Drivers – Overall: 5th of 23 Tracks (17.72% per Drivers/Race)

Note: Data and Rankings are Cup series only. Green Flag Passes, Quality Passes, Lead Changes, and Cautions standardized to 100 miles per driver to account for differences in miles per race and number of drivers in field. Lead Lap and all DNF categories standardized to drivers per race. All statistics updated through most recent race.

Charlotte Motor Speedway – Comparable Tracks

Atlanta Motor Speedway, Auto Club Speedway, Chicagoland Speedway, Kansas Speedway, Kentucky Speedway, Texas Motor Speedway.

Last Three (3) DK and FD Fantasy Points Leaders

— 10/8/2016: Jimmie Johnson (120.25 DK FPts) – Jimmie Johnson (96.9 FD FPts)
    — 5/28/2017: Martin Truex, Jr. (148.75 DK FPts) – Martin Truex, Jr. (103.8 FD FPts)
    — 10/8/2017: Kevin Harvick (121.25 DK FPts) – Martin Truex, Jr. (93.8 FD FPts)

Race Data, News, Information, and Weather

Rotogrinders NASCAR Free tools
    Stephen Young – Rotogrinders Lead NASCAR Analyst
    Kevin Roth – Rotogrinders Chief Meteorologist

Updated for brevity.

• gje627

Requesting everyone’s opinion….

Increasingly, my thread headers are getting longer and longer. I try to pare-down the information I include, but then I find myself adding other things, making me the proverbial dog who chases his tail when it comes time to trying to be concise.

While I feel the information above is useful for research, I already have it so there’s no reason for me to post it here unless others find it useful too. Thus, my questions are

1. Does anyone here read/use the information in the NASCAR race header each week and do you find it useful?
    2. Is there other information you would like included that I presently don’t provide? Conversely, any information that should be deleted?
    3. Would it be better if this information were provided in a different place, so as to not overwhelm each page of the forum?
    4. To save space, several of the categories of information I provide above could be listed on a single line in paragraph format. Would it be better if I saved space on the page for categories like Race Details and Comparable Tracks, and simply put this information back-to-back on the same line rather than on separate lines.
    5. I calculate the track rankings and previous race fantasy points leaders myself. Other than that I just collect and post information from various sources. For the latter categories of information, would it better if I just posted links to this information and not posted the actual information here?

Also, it’s kind of a pain to put this information together each week and format in Textile, particularly if nobody really finds it useful….

Anyways, while I know very few NASCAR fantasy players are thinking about a race that’s still a week away and I also know that NASCAR is still a niche-interest, fantasy sport for people who frequent Rotogrinders … very few members actually participate in this forum each week, so few people will see this …. BUT, if someone (or someones, plural) stumbles across this post and could provide feedback I would greatly appreciate it.

If I don’t hear back from anyone, starting with the next race I will probably just provide the very minimum necessary to start a thread.

Thanks !!!

• wscooby

I like all the information you provide. If you wanted to delete any of it, I would miss the hyperlinks the least. Followed by last 6 winners.

• gje627

@wscooby said...

I like all the information you provide. If you wanted to delete any of it, I would miss the hyperlinks the least. Followed by last 6 winners.

Thank you !!!

Those were pretty much my thoughts too. I was thinking to limiting the links to just those internal to Rotogrinders. Namely, Stevie’s twitter, Kevin’s twitter for weather forecasts, and the free tools page….

Very helpful !!!

• bogey09

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #57

RG Tiered Ranking

All that info is very helpful. The Fantasy Relevant Track Details/Rankings is great because I don’t even know where to find that any where else. As far as the hyperlinks I follow or bookmark most of those already. Of course new people would find them useful.

• dbullsfan

• Ranked #70

RG Tiered Ranking

I love the information, I’d say maybe do the schedule for the weekend as the header and the rest as a separate post right after it so it only shows up on the first page but is still right at the top

• gje627

@bogey09 said...

All that info is very helpful. The Fantasy Relevant Track Details/Rankings is great because I don’t even know where to find that any where else. As far as the hyperlinks I follow or bookmark most of those already. Of course new people would find them useful.

Thank you. While the track details are “stolen”, I couldn’t find the rankings anywhere else either. That’s why I decided to do them myself. :)

• gje627

@dbullsfan said...

I love the information, I’d say maybe do the schedule for the weekend as the header and the rest as a separate post right after it so it only shows up on the first page but is still right at the top

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

I originally thought everything in the header was best because it would be “stuck” at the top of every page of the thread.

After all, I’m not sure how many people read all the way through a thread after multiple pages. It seems like after two or three pages, similar questions/issues that were brought up on the first page (and resolved) are often asked again in subsequent pages.

• Cooper08

• Blogger of the Month

Can you include driver ratings….
    Instead of point leader how about T6 point leaders….
    What info can you include about fastest laps?…..

• gje627

@Cooper08 said...

Can you include driver ratings….
    Instead of point leader how about T6 point leaders….
    What info can you include about fastest laps?…..

Yeah, driver ratings would be good. I could do fastest laps too…. What format? …. By driver? By year? By Fantasy Rank,? By Finishing Position? …. For these, Averages? Ranges? Percentiles?

Could do Standard Deviations too, but they’re useless…. Both due to variance in NASCAR and because the sample size is so small…. One to two races a year at any given track. Since 2005 this is only 13 to 27 races at a track….

• Cooper08

• Blogger of the Month

@gje627 said...

Yeah, driver ratings would be good. I could do fastest laps too…. What format? …. By driver? By year? By Fantasy Rank,? By Finishing Position? …. For these, Averages? Ranges? Percentiles?

Could do Standard Deviations too, but they’re useless…. Both due to variance in NASCAR and because the sample size is so small…. One to two races a year at any given track. Since 2005 this is only 13 to 27 races at a track….

For me I look at % of fastest laps gained by lap leaders and then how many drivers received 20 or more which would be 10 DK points. I look at this over the last six races.

• gje627

EDIT: Reply to Coop’s most recent post here….

Yeah, I can figure something out….

The consensus seems to be “Less Fluff and More Stuff” … data that is.

• gje627

@Cooper08 said...

For me I look at % of fastest laps gained by lap leaders and then how many drivers received 20 or more which would be 10 DK points. I look at this over the last six races.

…. Also, if you ever NASCAR blog again…. I could just give you the information for you to put in your blog….

Then I could just post a link to your blog here and that would include the data/analytics.

Don’t want to blog myself….

• Nos

Regarding the header, it’s important to note that the header appears at the top of every page.

If you do opt to include a lot of information, then for the people don’t that want to read it a second time, they can (and will) simply scroll past it.

It’s a trade-off for sure, convenience versus possible clutter. I’d give the edge to CONVENIENCE. We will know where we can find all of the useful information you provide quickly.

I appreciate all of your work and posts.

• gje627

@Nos said...

Regarding the header, it’s important to note that the header appears at the top of every page.

If you do opt to include a lot of information, then for the people don’t that want to read it a second time, they can (and will) simply scroll past it.

It’s a trade-off for sure, convenience versus possible clutter. I’d give the edge to CONVENIENCE. We will know where we can find all of the useful information you provide quickly.

I appreciate all of your work and posts.

That’s great !!!

Thanks….

I tried to compromise and shortened the header yesterday.

Is this about the right length?

In other words, does it give just the right amount of information without overwhelming the top half of the entire page?

Thanks again !!!

• anilprao88

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #16

RG Tiered Ranking

• 2017 DraftKings FFWC Finalist

• 2018 DraftKings FBWC Finalist

I don’t usually come into these threads but it doesn’t feel like too much to me. Love the passes and DNF info. Thanks for sharing.

• gje627

@anilprao88 said...

I don’t usually come into these threads but it doesn’t feel like too much to me. Love the passes and DNF info. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks. I agree it’s about the right length now. I actually shortened the header by about one-third since I originally started the thread and posed my original question.

Thanks again !!!

• cholste

In response to your questions gje, I think the header for this race is perfect. It is a shame you do not blog as I think everyone here would read it for sure, but completely understand the time commitment! Your information is always useful! Thank you for the time you put into it as I know how much it takes to collect it all in order to calculate the statistics you want to use. Been there done that!

I know that it probably takes a lot of time to put the information in text form, but I enjoy how easy it is to read, so I would not suggest putting it in paragraph form. I agree that the people that do not want to read it on every page just scroll down.

Thank you again for sharing your knowledge with all of us!

• gje627

@cholste said...

In response to your questions gje, I think the header for this race is perfect. It is a shame you do not blog as I think everyone here would read it for sure, but completely understand the time commitment! Your information is always useful! Thank you for the time you put into it as I know how much it takes to collect it all in order to calculate the statistics you want to use. Been there done that!

I know that it probably takes a lot of time to put the information in text form, but I enjoy how easy it is to read, so I would not suggest putting it in paragraph form. I agree that the people that do not want to read it on every page just scroll down.

Thank you again for sharing your knowledge with all of us!

You’re welcome !!

Thanks for your great reply. I think we pretty much have a consensus and I think your post summarizes the general thoughts of the RG NASCAR community, so thank you for that !!!

I agree with everyone here…. When it comes to numbers, I can be blowhard…. Well I’m probably a blowhard even when I’m not talking numbers …. But that’s another problem altogether. (:

Anyways, moving forward, I’ll keep the header no longer than where it is now, unless everyone agrees that at some point additional information is warranted. As I research, I’ll continue to try and post data/analytics that I think will be beneficial as a forum post, rather than in header (haven’t been good about this lately). Finally, if anyone would like specific data/analytics for a certain race that will be useful to everyone, just ask your question in a post (no PMs, please, and sorry) and I’ll accommodate if it’s not too consuming.

Also, thanks again EVERYONE for your great feedback !!!

I’m really pleasantly surprised. Based on what I said in my original set of questions, I was expecting few if any responses.

Love that there are more NASCAR fans here than I thought …. Time to come out of the closet everyone !!! :)

Now….

On to the race !!! :)

• dbullsfan

• Ranked #70

RG Tiered Ranking

just a heads up if anyone hasn’t been reading the DK thread, it looks like there is a decent chance we may get a 150 max .25cent GPP soon for Nascar, hopefully starting this week. I just hope they make it big enough to make it worth it because I think it will be fun/nice for those of us that can’t max enter the $10 GPP to be able to MME.

• Toddalan2286

@dbullsfan said...

just a heads up if anyone hasn’t been reading the DK thread, it looks like there is a decent chance we may get a 150 max .25cent GPP soon for Nascar, hopefully starting this week. I just hope they make it big enough to make it worth it because I think it will be fun/nice for those of us that can’t max enter the $10 GPP to be able to MME.

Will they still keep the max 20 .25 cent gpp? I’m not a fan of the 150 max. It’s my opinion it takes away some of the art of creating lineups I feel like at 150 lineups you’re just throwing a lot of darts. Even if I could afford it I wouldn’t do it (don’t have time)I do 20 lineups each week by hand in an excel file I’ve made and compete fairly well with those who enter 150.

• stevietpfl

Morning Grind co-host, Lead NASCAR Analyst

RG Overall Ranking

• 2015 FanDuel MLB Playboy Mansion Finalist

• 2015 FAWBC Finalist

Rain rain go away come back during the week

• Touchole

I think it’s perfect the way it is. I find it all useful.

It’s amazing how much info you provide and the effort you put in. Appreciated.

• Cooper08

• Blogger of the Month

DK typically releases NASCAR pricing on Wednesday. At this point they have not released pricing for the 600. Could they possibly be waiting until qualifying is completed tomorrow to release pricing and price based on qualifying?

• DefinitelyMiami

@Cooper08 said...

DK typically releases NASCAR pricing on Wednesday. At this point they have not released pricing for the 600. Could they possibly be waiting until qualifying is completed tomorrow to release pricing and price based on qualifying?

More likely they forgot and need to be reminded there’s a race this weekend

• DefinitelyMiami

Prices are out so it was just DK being bad at their job

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).