Bowman to the 88 next season?

• stevietpfl

Morning Grind co-host, Lead NASCAR Analyst

RG Overall Ranking

• 2015 FanDuel MLB Playboy Mansion Finalist

• 2015 FAWBC Finalist

@halltere said...

I think that’s what it looks like right now. I would expect Byron to go to the 5 when he’s ready to move up. Though, I wouldn’t be shocked if Byron goes to the 88

• billholler

Do the other drivers that are already in the chase do a little extra to let Jr win one more race? Maybe Charlotte in October?

• Whacko

@billholler said...

Do the other drivers that are already in the chase do a little extra to let Jr win one more race? Maybe Charlotte in October?

Kinda like how Nascar gave JR a slightly more powerful engine for the Daytona 500 in 2004?

Would not surprise me one bit.

• DefinitelyMiami

@Whacko said...

Kinda like how Nascar gave JR a slightly more powerful engine for the Daytona 500 in 2004?

Would not surprise me one bit.

Kinda like when Danica won the pole

• Whacko

@DefinitelyMiami said...

True…. it’s all about conspiracies….lol

Either way it’ll be interesting how the retirement announcement affects perceived performance….

• billholler

@DefinitelyMiami said...

I just love when someone says “Danica on the pole”. Mmmmmmm

• Wakefan77

She hasn’t been on a pole lately…..it’s time.

• stevietpfl

Morning Grind co-host, Lead NASCAR Analyst

RG Overall Ranking

• 2015 FanDuel MLB Playboy Mansion Finalist

• 2015 FAWBC Finalist

I would be shocked if Jr doesn’t win a race this season.

• billholler

@stevietpfl said...

I would be shocked if Jr doesn’t win a race this season.

Me too but like I said 2 months ago, he’s driving scared. Scared drivers crash a lot or have engine trouble. Haven’t you watched Days of Thunder?

• celtics2448

I think Jr. is fine, he’s been running alright but just isn’t getting the finishes to show for it. Hendrick seems to always have a weak car going back almost 30 years, it was the #25 of Schrader, then Craven, then Nadeau, then Nemecheck, then Mears, and now it’s kinda transitioned to the #5 of Martin in 2010-2011 and now Kasey Kahne. If you look back at Juniors early years at Hendrick, he was just terrible and rarely even ran in the top 10, he’s running some decent races, just not getting the finishes. I’m surprised at how good Ganassi has been doing, they haven’t been this good since 2002 with that fluky dominant Sterling Marlin season, i mean McMurray has been around for 15 years and he’s never posted a top 10 finish in points, and all of a sudden he’s running top 5, 10 every single week? What is going on?

• DefinitelyMiami

@celtics2448 said...

I’m surprised at how good Ganassi has been doing, they haven’t been this good since 2002

Montoya made the chase Id say that was pretty good

• billholler

@celtics2448 said...

I think Jr. is fine, he’s been running alright but just isn’t getting the finishes to show for it

He’s crashed out 3 out of 8 races. Finished 5 laps down in one of those other 5. Other than the horribly boring Texas race, he has been terrible. Career average finishing place is 15.7. This year he is at 23.8. I still think it’s in his head and not the car.

• celtics2448

When a third of the field makes the chase, it’s not that much of an accomplishment in my opinion, and Montoya only made the chase once. Ganassi and/or Felix Sabates has always been a moderately weak organization with bursts of success, usually in the form of just winning races occasionally, outside of 2002 and 2017, is what i was trying to say.

http://racing-reference.info/owner/Chip_Ganassi
    http://racing-reference.info/owner/Earnhardt_Ganassi_Racing

You could be right Billholler, i’m just trying to give him some credit since I just try not to account accidents into their performance unless it’s Kasey Kahne or Danica Patrick, in which case not wrecking is a good day. He ran alright at Martinsville and Texas, and i was working on Monday so i don’t know how he actually performed, i just saw he was practicing pretty well. I’m not a #88 fan in general, i’m just optimistic that he’s going to get better, not worse.

• billholler

@celtics2448 said...

You could be right Billholler, i’m just trying to give him some credit since I just try not to account accidents into their performance unless it’s Kasey Kahne or Danica Patrick, in which case not wrecking is a good day

HA!! That’s what I say about Danica every week. Not a matter of if she crashes, but when.

I thought Jr might be a little bit better in the head after the Texas race so went heavy on him this past weekend. Once again he looked timid and scared of the other cars. Unless he’s starting 30th or worse, I won’t be rostering him any more.

• rush1228

@billholler said...

He’s crashed out 3 out of 8 races. Finished 5 laps down in one of those other 5. Other than the horribly boring Texas race, he has been terrible. Career average finishing place is 15.7. This year he is at 23.8. I still think it’s in his head and not the car.

Nothing wrong with Jr other than bad luck right now.Daytona was just riding leading the race and Kyle spins in front of him and takes him out.Atlanta he had 2 or 3 unscheduled pit stops due to a loose wheel and took the wave around a couple hoping for a quick caution to get a lap back and it never happened.Martinsville Blaney spins him and he recovers until Hamlin spins Danica and takes him out.Britol blown motor.So he finished 5th,14th,16th,16th when he hasnt had issues.So i guess if he wasnt driving scared he would have one win and the others all top 5?

• DefinitelyMiami

@celtics2448 said...

When a third of the field makes the chase

12 of 67 is 33.3%? Heck 12 of 43 isnt even 33.3%
    Yeah making the Chase most certainly was/is an accomplishment. As was finishing 8th in the final season standings. Larson most likely will improve on that but it remains to be seen

• billholler

@rush1228 said...

So i guess if he wasnt driving scared he would have one win and the others all top 5?

Yes. Just like simple issues on our daily drivers, mechanical issues aren’t always solely caused by fluke mechanical failures.

• mwgdfs

Jr IS driving scared, I also said the same thing a few months ago. The retirement announcement didn’t even shock me

• celtics2448

@DefinitelyMiami said...

12 of 67 is 33.3%? Heck 12 of 43 isnt even 33.3%

There hasn’t been 67 cars in a field since the 1960’s, and a third would be 12/36, assuming of course that the start and park and part time teams made up the remainder of the field (they did). You’re taking me a bit too literally dude. A team that has such great success with Scott Dixon and company in IndyCar shouldn’t think making the chase once between 2004-2013 is successful, Especially considering they ran 3 cars during that time period.

• DefinitelyMiami

@celtics2448 said...

There hasn’t been 67 cars in a field since the 1960’s, and a third would be 12/36, assuming of course that the start and park and part time teams made up the remainder of the field

No. There were 43 cars “in the field” each and every race, thats a fact. 12/43 doesnt = “a third”
    67 cars qualified for at least one race so yeah, 12 out of 67 made the Chase

And no, CGR didnt run “3 cars during that time period”, they only ran 3 cars from 2003-2007 and 7 races in 2009

• Cooper08

• Blogger of the Month

@halltere said...

Bowman has little to no chance landing the 88 as he has no marketability and since Natiowide is the main sponsor for the car I don’t see them going that direction. The driver who lands this gig will be high profile current (or former driver, Edwards) or a young and upcoming driver. I would put my odds on a JGR driver getting it, Kesolowski, or Blaney, Jones or Byron and possibly Ty Dillon.

• jared2390

Really it’s more like 40 percent that make the chase, which is ridiculous. 16 make it and in a lot of weeks they aren’t even filling a full field of 40 cars. Out of the 36 full time “charter teams” (teams guaranteed a spot every week), it would be 16/36=44% in the chase. Way too high.

Jr. hasn’t been bad at Richmond at all. 3 wins early in his career and 8 straight finishes of 14th or better including 2 top 5s and 4 top 10s.

Hard to look past Kyle Busch this week. Kyle has a career average finish of 7th in 23 races here with 4 career wins. Also great numbers for Hamlin and Harvick (career average finishes of 10th).

• ljason8eg

Welp, time for a huge Austin Dillion ownership number.

• billholler

@ljason8eg said...

Welp, time for a huge Austin Dillion ownership number.

Wasn’t watching. What the hell is up with that? Was he trying to qualify on a Schwinn?

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).