• bhdevault

• Lead Moderator

• Blogger of the Month

7:00 PM EST : Orlando ( 2.5 ) at Washington ( -2.5 ) —- T: 205
    7:30 PM EST : Dallas ( 3.5 ) at Miami ( -3.5 ) —- T: 194
    7:30 PM EST : Charlotte ( 6.5 ) at Toronto ( -6.5 ) —- T: 196.5
    8:00 PM EST : New York ( 6.5 ) at Chicago ( -6.5 ) —- T: 198.5
    10:30 PM EST : Philadelphia ( 3.5 ) at LA Lakers ( -3.5 ) —- T: 205.5

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – NBA strategy talk for today’s games. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted. Please make it a point to say if you’re talking about Cash or GPP options

• linesrc

Came in 39th with 305.75 points in the draft kings $27 crossover tonight. This forum had a lot to do with it. Appreciate it especially whoever said to take dragic and Zaza.

• tonytone1908

@Ryazan said...

The Shot only ever gets won with luck….too many people in that thing. Real skill shines in higher buy ins with less people….you probably know that though lol. But someone with almost no wins will win The Shot almost every night cuz of the high variance of having so many entries

I can’t tell you the amount of times I’ve seen this happen. I’ve seen people win some of those big Shot games with like 100k first prize have 8 wins in 4 years. Honestly I could see coming up with that LU if I had even thought about playing Dragic, Oladipo or Mirotic but I just could’t touch them tonight. I was on the rest of that LU.

Could you imagine if you were this guy and got an email today reminding him he had money in his account from a year ago and he threw one in there just for the hell of it tonight?

• mabrla

The only thing I know is that I’m rostering Matt Barnes on the 16th.

There may never be a better narrative than Barnes v. Fisher.

• kulps19

Great site, have lingered for a little while. Finally got a decent size win. I have to say a lot of luck is involved and I consider myself pretty terrible at the NBA most of the time even though I love it. Appreciate all the good information.

Thanks for that pass by the way Lou, real swell.

• Mrm2010

@tonytone1908 said...

Because people cry foul play when a pro has a huge night but a guy with 8 wins takes down a tournament and nobody finds that odd? Must be the luckiest skilled guy in the world.

Luckiest skilled = oximoron. lol not putting you down by any means, just love the wordsmithing.

• tonytone1908

@Mrm2010 said...

Luckiest skilled = oximoron. lol not putting you down by any means, just love the wordsmithing.

It was totally intentional believe me ;)

• Mrm2010

Had Fournier and Smith tonight. Would have done really well if I would have had dragic and oladipo. Had porter and took a flyer on lopez. Could have definitely done better there too.

• chree007

@bobo1096 said...

Its all luck and a gamble thats y its being banned

somebody kick this guy out!!!

• tonytone1908

@mabrla said...

The only thing I know is that I’m rostering Matt Barnes on the 16th.

There may never be a better narrative than Barnes v. Fisher.

Matt Barnes 50 burger incoming! I can see him draining 3’s all night long and then grilling Fisher as he jogs past him. Too bad it’s not fan night on NBATV lol.

• Mrm2010

Look, we all know it’s a combination of luck and skill. But you have to admit, most nights it’s more luck than skill. If it was mostly skill, the majority of the people in this forum would be doing much better with their pics and we wouldn’t be hearing as much #%€¥#%. lol

• Mrm2010

Hope everyone has a good night, see wveryone back here tomorrow. Same bat time, sme bat channel.

• Ryazan

• x3

2015 FanDuel WFFC Finalist

• x2

2015 FanDuel WFBC Finalist

@Mrm2010 said...

Look, we all know it’s a combination of luck and skill. But you have to admit, most nights it’s more luck than skill. If it was mostly skill, the majority of the people in this forum would be doing much better with their pics and we wouldn’t be hearing as much #%€¥#%. lol

when you play $2 tournaments against 100,000 people, its luck. when you play against a normal amount of people like 500, then it’s still. But the luck part in the $2 tournament is just for WINNING the whole thing. It still takes mostly skill to cash in it and get $5 back at least.

• Darkman33

@tonytone1908 said...

For me it seems like it takes me a whole season to finally get the hang of a sport and then it’s done for the year. I didn’t hit my stride til after the all star break last year. I think you get a lot of NFL’ers playing just to play and they aren’t very skilled at NBA. Plus rotations and roles start to solidify a little more. Teams know if they’re going to make a push or give up. You get a good deal more data to work with also.

Hang in there. If you’re playing GPP’s you have to get used to losing streaks. To take a tournament down you have to make risky plays and a lot of times they backfire. Eventually, one night, they’ll all come together and it’ll make those days you lost well worth it.

Look over winning LU’s. See where you went wrong. If you swap out someone you loved all day because you tinkered at the last minute, STOP tinkering at the last minute. Find a strategy and stick with it if you find yourself coming close. If you don’t, try something new.

Most nights you’re going to need at least one close to min salary guy that gets you 30+ and at least 2 guys under 10% ownership. As long as you have a couple low owned guys you can get away with high ownership on a couple of your other players if they’re “must have” guys that night. Find that cheap, under 5% owned punt that goes off for 8-10x and you’ve got a recipe for success.

Thanks, I’m not quitting.. I’m going to figure this out!

• Ryazan

• x3

2015 FanDuel WFFC Finalist

• x2

2015 FanDuel WFBC Finalist

@tonytone1908 said...

I can’t tell you the amount of times I’ve seen this happen. I’ve seen people win some of those big Shot games with like 100k first prize have 8 wins in 4 years. Honestly I could see coming up with that LU if I had even thought about playing Dragic, Oladipo or Mirotic but I just could’t touch them tonight. I was on the rest of that LU.

Could you imagine if you were this guy and got an email today reminding him he had money in his account from a year ago and he threw one in there just for the hell of it tonight?

i know dude, but someone out of so many people is going to win it. and someone will come in like 10th for a great cash with still a weirdo looking lineup. These low buy-in tournaments are just to draw casual people in – I dont recommend you ever play them if you want to actually win money with skill on your side. Do $25 buy in at least

• Bastardicus

Maybe I just found the right double-up on DK. Had Fournier, Ish and Brooks and scored 240.75…just enough to cash in the last winning spot.

• makeitra1n

I hope everyone knows why smith played like trash.I would give it a 99% chance of “flu like symptoms” if you catch my drift.I don’t blame him for that.yolo!I myself have suffered “flu like symptoms” today too!

• Bastardicus

@makeitra1n said...

I hope everyone knows why smith played like trash.I would give it a 99% chance of “flu like symptoms” if you catch my drift.I don’t blame him for that.yolo!I myself have suffered “flu like symptoms” today too!

Odd, but I too am suffering from minor flu-like symptoms. lol

• makeitra1n

@Bastardicus said...

Odd, but I too am suffering from minor flu-like symptoms. lol

He airballed the last shot he took.there’s your proof

• tonytone1908

@Ryazan said...

i know dude, but someone out of so many people is going to win it. and someone will come in like 10th for a great cash with still a weirdo looking lineup. These low buy-in tournaments are just to draw casual people in – I dont recommend you ever play them if you want to actually win money with skill on your side. Do $25 buy in at least

I know I did much better last year when I went from the Shot to the Layup. Just wish the Layup was bigger, I thought it was last year? Maybe when football is done they put it up.

I did do pretty well in MLB when I moved up to the $100 games and had a nice weekend thanks to some homerism and riding my Cubbies. The top prizes aren’t near that of the smaller games but you can take first with a much lower score most times. You can also go a little chalkier as well. It’s also nice if you only play one LU because when you cash it’s for a hell of a lot more than $4. Although a cold streak will eat your bankroll quick.

• SkateFiend

I paired Ish Smith with John Wall in most of LUs to avert a letdown, which worked. I guessed right on Zeller, Portis, Noel and Otto Porter.

But also in those LUs were Aaron Brooks, Fournier, or Derozan. Game over. Did no better than breaking even.

You get so excited for having guessed right on 6 players, then bam, one of the two remaining players lays an egg.

• tonytone1908

@Ryazan said...

Would you believe dude had the optimal LU for the night? Wow.

• fanjuice

• 2016 FanDuel WFFC Finalist

• 2017 FanDuel WFBBC Finalist

@Ryazan said...

when you play $2 tournaments against 100,000 people, its luck. when you play against a normal amount of people like 500, then it’s still. But the luck part in the $2 tournament is just for WINNING the whole thing. It still takes mostly skill to cash in it and get $5 back at least.

Yeah I agree

It takes a certain skill and risk threshold to succeed. Some days, it is luck, but look at the other day when Max had TJ Warren in many lineups. That pick was a great pick since TJ Warren has such a high ceiling at a low price, and his FP points per 36 mins was already high. Also, when Porzingis went for 47, that pick took skill as Porzingis sucked the entire week before, yet when Melo was announced out you had to know Zinger would get more looks.

Other days it can be more luck based, such as small slates in which if you pick 1 or 2 good guys you can cash or if you pick a terrible dud it can screw you

• yountingly

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #31

RG Tiered Ranking

Sad waking up to see how bad Ish was last night. Wow. I take solace that I still cashed in 3 of my 7 lu, including 2 gpps and broke even on the night. I think it is a sign that I’m improving to miss on a guy I was all in on yet still cash. It helped Ish was highly owned but Porter, Whiteside and Noel picked up the slack and they turned out well. Only got to 290, ending my streak of 300 nights but ok with it. Working all weekend so need to make lus for tonight now.

• Shipmymoney

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #11

RG Tiered Ranking

• x3

2016 DraftKings FBWC Finalist

• 2016 FanDuel MLB Playboy Mansion Finalist

@Mrm2010 said...

Or maybe the majority of people on this forum just aren’t very skilled lol

• caskins82

went over 295 with regularity for about 5-6 days in a row, now spent the last week barely cracking 270…wtf? i get it, there’s luck involved, but i’m using the same tools and doing the same research…like last night went with Zaza over Vuc and Noel over Prozingis, but Mirotic and OPJ??? Both with terrible matchups…the OPJ I get more, no Beal, has to help carry more of the scoring load, but Mirotic??? not rostering those 2 + a Fournier dud had me around 250…ugh

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).