7:30 PM EST : Houston ( -7 ) at New York ( 7 ) —- T: 226
    7:30 PM EST : Orlando ( 0 ) at Brooklyn ( 0 ) —- T: —
    7:30 PM EST : LA Clippers ( 0 ) at Miami ( 0 ) —- T: —
    8:00 PM EST : Atlanta ( 2 ) at Chicago ( -2 ) —- T: 221
    8:00 PM EST : San Antonio ( 0 ) at Philadelphia ( 0 ) —- T: —
    8:00 PM EST : Detroit ( 0 ) at New Orleans ( 0 ) —- T: —
    8:00 PM EST : Charlotte ( 1 ) at Memphis ( -1 ) —- T: 210
    10:30 PM EST : Denver ( 3 ) at Utah ( -3 ) —- T: 216.5

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – NBA strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterdays games will be moved to yesterdays NBA thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted..

• DailyDonater

Was doing amazing and all of a sudden plumdog gets tossed. Pussy refs and a soft leauge.

• Spartaca

@damionismyname said...

he’s usually good for 40+ plus he’s playing the Bulls so if you wanted the almost guaranteed 40 you pick him and anything else is great.

Exactly had 100% Collins

• yisman

Kanter somehow goes from expected to start to not even seeing a minute. I thought it was odd when reports were that he’d start, given the fact that the Knicks have had no interest in playing him

• P0key

Why was everyone on Kanter? I don’t see any other big for knick ruled out..

• P0key

@P0key said...

Yisman answered my question before my post..im catching up on entire thread

• JSteele

@P0key said...

Kornet was ruled out and Fiz said Kanter would start, but then for some reason he changed his mind once Faried was announced as the starter and matched up small with small.

I guess if the Knicks were trying to win this game they would have noticed what centers were doing to the Rockets lately and play Kanter instead of matching up small with small and taking away the biggest advantage they could have gotten on the Rockets…

• damionismyname

@thetitanlb said...

First the kanter bs and now favors gets ejected. What a crock of crap. Nights like this make me wanna lose it

lol had both in my single game. just giving it all away today. smh

• Spartaca

Wow only one person anywhere close to the top has exposure to the late game for the $100K on DK, Royce O’Neale has a chance to make someone $100,000. 386.75 with 395.25 in first. O’Neale has 7.25 currently.

Was sitting nicely in 4th until they adjusted Lin! Damn it messes with you!

SHUT UP LIN!!!

• thetitanlb

@damionismyname said...

lol had both in my single game. just giving it all away today. smh

Same on the giving it all away. Smh

• DirkDigglerz

Joe Ingles kind of night

• Spartaca

O’Neale bringing home the $100K

https://www.draftkings.com/contest/gamecenter/68433797?

• mtdurham

@Beckhams3Fingers said...

I’ll be happy to come away with a $10 profit tonight after being 100% Kanter in all my double-ups. I’m sick to my stomach about about that. How the F are we supposed to avoid that kind of land mine??

Seriously? I’d never play Kanter vs HOU. Harden and Curry are the two hardest players in the league for Kanter to guard.

Plus Capela is out so there’s even less incentive to play Kanter because he’s not likely to play much…

The knicks often use Vonleh at Center in these scenarios and Mitchell is back in the rotation from injury.

Seems like as bad of a match-up as you could possibly ask for…

Plus Kanter is kinda being pushed out as the knicks are trying to play guys who have a better shot of fitting into their long-term plans…

• TNYooper

What I’m seeing about Kanter is that the Knicks didn’t want him defending Harden on PnRs. I felt Knicks may play small with Vonleh at the 5 (which is why I played Dotson and Trier) but had no idea how to react to Lance Thomas starting. No idea why he got 15 minutes? Surely Kanter would’ve made more sense with those minutes? Fizdale is very hard to read.

• mtdurham

@JSteele said...

I guess if the Knicks were trying to win this game they would have noticed what centers were doing to the Rockets lately and play Kanter instead of matching up small with small and taking away the biggest advantage they could have gotten on the Rockets…

Other way around…. if the knicks play Kanter they’d get run off the floor with the tear Harden is on.

He might have had 150 FPS tonight.

• BBWC_10

@47891221 said...

Was sitting nicely in 4th until they adjusted Lin! Damn it messes with you!

SHUT UP LIN!!!

I’m with ya… Was cashing with 326 stat corrected to 323 with Lin and missed the cash line by 1pt. I can’t grasp that the stat corrections NEVER work in my favor. This is getting ridiculous… I mean I had them all tonight, Harden, Ibaka, Vuc, Farried, Rozier, Whiteside sprinkled throughout my 3 LU’s, and then they all crash because of Kanter, Bam, Kennard, Waiters. Just can’t shuffle them all in 1 LU.

• mtdurham

@TNYooper said...

but had no idea how to react to Lance Thomas starting. No idea why he got 15 minutes?

Because Lance is a positional defender with mobility against the PNR who gave them a better opportunity to compete than Kanter did tonight.

Center is first and foremost a defensive position. The handful of putbacks and post-ups that a guy like Kanter scores on will never come close to offsetting the amount of wide open 3’s, layups, and free throws he hemorrhages defensively against elite playmakers on teams with spacing.

You play a guy like Kanter sparingly to run some easy buckets thru your 2nd unit offense if it has trouble scoring… and when those elite playmakers/floor spacers aren’t on the floor for the opponent.

He’s a net-negative player regardless, but he hurts you a lot more in certain situations than others. He’s an incredibly match-up dependent player and that’s why he’s honestly one of the easier guys to figure out each night as to whether or not he’s a good DFS play.

• BBWC_10

@mtdurham said...

Other way around…. if the knicks play Kanter they’d get run off the floor with the tear Harden is on.

He might have had 150 FPS tonight.

And how would Kanter effect Harden? Harden’s point total would probably be 10pts less with Kanter in the game. Kanter is a rebounding machine I’ll guarantee Harden doesn’t get 15 rebounds with Kanter on the floor. Harden had 6 offensive rebounds which is 6 more possessions Harden may not have.

• TNYooper

@mtdurham said...

Because Lance is a positional defender that gave them a better opportunity to compete than Kanter did tonight.

Center is first and foremost a defensive position. The handful of putbacks and post-ups that a guy like Kanter scores on will never come close to offsetting the amount of wide open 3’s, layups, and free throws he hemorrhages defensively against elite playmakers on teams with spacing.

You play a guy like Kanter sparingly to run some easy buckets thru your 2nd unit offense if it has trouble scoring… and when those elite playmakers/floor spacers aren’t on the floor for the opponent.

He’s a net-negative player regardless, but he hurts you a lot more in certain situations than others. He’s an incredibly match-up dependent player and that’s why he’s honestly one of the easier guys to figure out each night as to whether or not he’s a good DFS play.

I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks.

• mtdurham

Think about it in terms of usage rate…. Kanter’s usage rate on offense might be like 25-30% and he might be a minor net positive in terms of efficiency on teh possessions he uses….

But Kanter’s “usage rate” on defense is damn near 100% because as soon as he checks in every team immediately knows to start running the PNR against Kanter on every play because he’s incapable of mounting even passable defense. The guy literally looks like he plays on ice skates.

Now if you have a lesser skilled guy like say Cameron Payne or Michael Carter Williams running the offense then perhaps Kanter doesn’t kill you out there defensively as the other team isn’t wired to take full advantage.

But if the other team is featuring a guy like Curry, Harden, Lillard, Kemba, etc then Kanter is a complete non-starter and shouldn’t be on the floor because the other team will simply erupt offensively every time.

That’s why he doesn’t really belong on playoff teams (or at least in their rotation) because he can only be used sparingly against good teams… he is the perfect fit for a team like the Knicks who don’t have any aspirations of fielding a competitive basketball team and exist solely for the purpose of generating revenue in a city that can fill the arena regardless of whether their team is competitive or not.

And it’s why you won’t see another franchise make the mistake of giving Kanter another big contract. Frankly, he’s just really, really bad.

Even the offensive rebound putbacks come at the expense of your offense because he is one of the worst players in the league in terms of clogging up your offensive driving lanes. Guys like Porzingus see monster drop-off rates in efficiency when Kanter is in the game with them because he selfishly lodges himself on the block most possessions. He’s also a nightmare in the PNR on offense because he is unbelievably slow. There really isn’t a way to hide a guy with his deficiencies as a player in the modern NBA.

• Beckhams3Fingers

Given Kanter’s ownership numbers across the entire DFS landscape tonight, he’s costing a LOT of people a LOT of money. He didn’t have to go nuts, nor was anyone expecting a ceiling night from him, but damn… an inexplicable DNP CD, I can’t shake this tilt. Even 20 fpts from him would have won me all my double ups.

I’m just nauseated. DNP CDs are the worst of the worst beats. At least if a guy gets hurt, ejected whatever, at least there’s an explanation.

Just sux!
    I ended 387.. Lin adjustment moved me over $4k depending how jokic finishes

• BBWC_10

One more stat about Kanter. The Knicks gave up 16 offensive rebounds tonight against a terrible rebounding team. Harden took 25 foul shots? My game plan would be similar to what the Lakers tried to do guard Harden with your hands behind your back. He only attempted 15 FT’s vs them and scored 48 which is way better than 61. Kanter got 16 rebounds vs. Golden State. If he can play in a game vs the Warriors he can play in a game vs 1 All-Star and 3 G-league players. I have know idea how Farried would of stopped Kanter on the offensive end. DUMB move by Fizdale.

• SkateFiend

I’m tremendously proud to say that one of my Aaron Baynes lineup without Harden is cashing (H2H).

• mtdurham

@BBWC_10 said...

And how would Kanter effect Harden? Harden’s point total would probably be 10pts less with Kanter in the game. Kanter is a rebounding machine I’ll guarantee Harden doesn’t get 15 rebounds with Kanter on the floor. Harden had 6 offensive rebounds which is 6 more possessions Harden may not have.

Kanter is literally like the worst PNR defender in the NBA right now. And has been for years… I’m sure there are a few complete scrubs out there and random rookies who might not know which side of the pick they are supposed to stand on yet… but for all intents and purposes he’s about the worst…

If you remember, it was Kanter who basically cost OKC the series against Golden State because early in the series Billy Donovan stupidly kept putting Kanter in the game and allowing them to go on immediate huge runs.

At one point Westbrook even went off on Donovan and screamed at him to get Kanter out of the game.

Watch a game that Kanter plays. Every single team in the league runs the PNR at him on every play. He looks like a chicken with his head cut off….

You do that against a guy like Harden and the game is over. Completely over.

Watch a PNR defender with great mobility (for a center) like Cody Zeller and the difference is night and day.

As a center your number 1 responsibility is to not compromise the entire defense when put in the PNR because with all but the rarest exceptions (Curry/Durant) the most effective PNR combo is usually your PG/C then surrounded by your wings on the perimeter…

That’s what makes guys like Kawhi who can operate in the PNR at different positions so valuable offensively is it allows them to attack defenses from other positions that may be more vulnerable and take the center out of the play if he’s a great PNR defender.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).