7:00 PM EST : New York ( 2 ) at Charlotte ( -2 ) —- T: 210
    7:00 PM EST : Golden St ( 13 ) at Philadelphia ( -13 ) —- T: 213
    7:30 PM EST : Boston ( 3 ) at Miami ( -3 ) —- T: 216
    7:30 PM EST : New Orleans ( -7.5 ) at Cleveland ( 7.5 ) —- T: 233
    7:30 PM EST : Atlanta ( 12 ) at Toronto ( -12 ) —- T: 233
    8:00 PM EST : Denver ( -1 ) at Memphis ( 1 ) —- T: 225
    8:00 PM EST : Washington ( 16 ) at Milwaukee ( -16 ) —- T: 240
    8:30 PM EST : Phoenix ( 6 ) at Dallas ( -6 ) —- T: 227.5

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – NBA strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterday’s games will be moved to yesterday’s NBA thread. Any off topic posts, troll posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted. While the use of GIF’s are acceptable, content must be posted along with them.

• yountingly

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #44

RG Tiered Ranking

@superjon said...

Agree on Ingram

Agreed too . I do like favors and ball along with Zion but that’s it

• FrancisBooth

Paul Watson revenge game!

• superstars92

Embiid might be playing tonight. Changes that entire game, for Philly offense but also for GS’s offense since Embiid is a elite defender.

• siddom

thoughts on staking kemba and Jaylen, running it back with butler??

• yountingly

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #44

RG Tiered Ranking

@siddom said...

thoughts on staking kemba and Jaylen, running it back with butler??

I’m a wait and see in butler and Miami on b2b. Butler almost sat last night .

Light in that game right now

• yountingly

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #44

RG Tiered Ranking

@superstars92 said...

Embiid might be playing tonight. Changes that entire game, for Philly offense but also for GS’s offense since Embiid is a elite defender.

Ready to dump my philly shares if that happens . Don’t even think I can play embiid in great matchup unless we know minutes . Rather play jokic

• tmarohl

@mr_papageorgio said...

Someone in yesterday’s thread said the key to winning is to pick the best player at each position. That’s better advice than anything I’ve seen in premium so I’m going to simplify my process and try this new strategy tonight.

Zion has been as advertised but $7200 is a lot for a guy who is capped around 25 minutes. I think I’d rather play Harris against GS for $100 more.

I should have clarified. I didn’t mean the best player. I meant the player who scores the most fantasy points at a particular position on a given day. We all worry too much about ownership projections and chalk. Play the guys who score the most and get lucky or skilled enough to have them all on your bingo card and you can win.

• superstars92

@yountingly said...

Ready to dump my philly shares if that happens . Don’t even think I can play embiid in great matchup unless we know minutes . Rather play jokic

Oh yea definitely not playing Embiid, but it defintely changes the whole game for the other pieces. Even for someone like Marquiss Chriss somewhat (who might start). He’s still decent value though with that price, even vs. Embiid, just his ceiling is less (and his floor two since he can get too quick ones). Still in my pool though just at lower ownership now.

He’s got the early game, so we’ll find out for sure.

• superstars92

@Ace15 said...

Got ya! Yeah only really playing high usage players who have a Kobe narrative lol.

Question for people who use to hand-make LU’s vs Now use optimizer or vice-versa? What has been more effective? I feel like my hand-made LU’s do perform way better than my optimized LU’s.

Which optimizer are you using?

I typically find in my cash games, there are 4 blocks of train types of lineups, probably from 4 different optimizers. Usually each block as a set of usernames that is consistent from day to day. Then there are a few others like papagates, youdacao, who will be in their own block themselves (so they have their own thing they created). I also have my own unique lineup although those guys all play higher volume than me. Now obviously like maybe 1 outa say 10 days, there will be dupes even among the usual unique users since the value build is easy, but it’s not that often. The ones that use the optimizer every day literally have the same build every day with the same users.

To be clear, I believe on average, the optimizer lineup for a RANDOM user is supposed to be better than a hand-made lineup from that same user. However, I don’t consider you to be a “random” user if you are able to have your own thoughts, inputs, projections, etc. so a non-random user surely can make a lineup better by hand than using an optimizer. However, in the average case among all DFS players, it’s clear optimizers are better than hand-made lineups. I don’t really believe that’s even debatable. That’s like saying technology is good for you, which it is (think email -> mail, self-driving cars -> carriages, Wikipedia -> textbooks haha jk on the last one tmarhol). One case you definitely want to be using an optimizer is like last second breaking news, since no human can process that so fast in 5 mins in their heads.

EDIT: also when we say optimizer in this forum, we mean like the optimizer + projection combination (@Ace I think you mean this when you say this).

• monarch

I saw a three man contest on Twitter high stakes about a month ago on a big slate where all three pros had the exact lineup. What’s the point?

• me_mike84

@mr_papageorgio said...

Someone in yesterday’s thread said the key to winning is to pick the best player at each position. That’s better advice than anything I’ve seen in premium so I’m going to simplify my process and try this new strategy tonight.

Zion has been as advertised but $7200 is a lot for a guy who is capped around 25 minutes. I think I’d rather play Harris against GS for $100 more.

the best player at each position meaning the player you think is going to have the best night at each position?

anyone else use this strategy or does it depend on the slate?

• superstars92

@monarch said...

I saw a three man contest on Twitter high stakes about a month ago on a big slate where all three pros had the exact lineup. What’s the point?

Which 3?

• monarch

@superstars92 said...

Which 3?

That I dont remember. I’ll have to look later.

• yountingly

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #44

RG Tiered Ranking

I’ve never used an optimizer and build everything by hand except for NASCAR . Probably in the minority

• tmarohl

@superstars92 said...

Which 3?

Usually those guy’s don’t play against each other.

• superstars92

@yountingly said...

I’ve never used an optimizer and build everything by hand except for NASCAR . Probably in the minority

Yea I just gave some thoughts about it above. The one time you definitely want to use an optimizer is if you have like a ton of lineups (say 50+) and there is last second breaking news. There’s no way to comprehend that so fast and then hand adjust 50 lineups.

• hautalak

• 2021 Blogger of the Month

@mbunner23 said...

On a side note – Why is rotogrinders taking away big GPP scores on profile pages? Had 1 gpp win taken off from last season.

I didn’t ever have any takedowns but had some higher finishes from years past that have since vanished as well. It doesn’t matter in the end but I wish they were still there as well.

• tmarohl

@me_mike84 said...

the best player at each position meaning the player you think is going to have the best night at each position?

anyone else use this strategy or does it depend on the slate?

The point was ownership projections have their place, but too many people (including me on occasion) think they matter much more than they do. Rather than focusing on “I don’t want to play this guy because he is chalk”, instead focus on picking the best plays at each position, regardless of ownership. People spend way too much time trying to find that 1% owned guy who is going to go off. Yes, if that happens, you will be in good shape. However, more often than not when that happens, you have a hole or two somewhere else in your lineup and you don’t win anyway. Basically, the players that give you the best fantasy point return per dollar spent. You hit all nine positions on FD like that, you will win, regardless if you have a lower owned guy. Another way of saying, score the most points and don’t worry so much about if a guy is chalk.

• theIrrigator

• Ranked #61

RG Tiered Ranking

@Ace15 said...

Question for people who use to hand-make LU’s vs Now use optimizer or vice-versa? What has been more effective? I feel like my hand-made LU’s do perform way better than my optimized LU’s.

If you do your own projections you should be able to get the builder to generate very similar lineups to the ones you would be hand building but with slightly unbiased variations

• Ace15

@yountingly said...

Yeah I mostly hand make mine too. Maybe i just need more practice with an optimizer lol.

I will be heavy Norman Powell tonight. It’s a good spot and he’s still cheap. OG is cheap AF but too volatile…I’m also probably lock and load MPJ if he’s good to go as well. Still too cheap on FD.

• Ace15

@theIrrigator said...

If you do your own projections you should be able to get the builder to generate very similar lineups to the ones you would be hand building but with slightly unbiased variations

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking too. I have projections in my head so even if i put assign them and use optimizer it should still spit out similar LU’s to what I imagined.

• superstars92

@Ace15 said...

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking too. I have projections in my head so even if i put assign them and use optimizer it should still spit out similar LU’s to what I imagined.

Wait are you saying you are just literally using the optimizer to generate your lineups? In that case, it’s strictly better to use the optimizer since your head can’t come up with 50 different combinations.

I just assumed you meant you wanted the projections to be from a different source than yourself, which is what’s meant when people say optimizer here. Like all those dupes in cash games are because they aren’t using their own projections.

• superstars92

What’s up with Toronto’s pricing. Why did FVV all of a sudden become so much more expsensive than Kyle Lowry?

• monarch

Use the optimizer for the projections but adjust the projection where you believe the optimizer has failed with minutes projections.

• theIrrigator

• Ranked #61

RG Tiered Ranking

I rarely pay attention to ownership. I just play who I think are the best plays and the best value

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).