NBA FORUM

Comments

• bhdevault

• Lead Moderator

• Blogger of the Month

8:00 PM EST : Chicago ( 11 ) at Philadelphia ( -11 ) —- T: 215
    8:00 PM EST : Miami ( 5 ) at Washington ( -5 ) —- T: 212
    10:30 PM EST : LA Lakers ( 3.5 ) at Portland ( -3.5 ) —- T: 222

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – NBA strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterdays games will be moved to yesterdays NBA thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted..

• Butternutter

@Orty1370 said...

Does anyone know the cash line from last nights NBA games? The results DB isn’t showing the data from last night.

About 275 on DK

• mtdurham

@jjpk said...

I think we can safely steer clear of Fultz for now. Yes, he starts, but if all he’s going to do is stand around all half and then get 3 minutes of run in the second half, that’s a hard pass.

I love Embiid, but my Sixers exposure tonight is Ben and a bounce-back from Super Dario. Maybe a little Redick. Until Muscala and Chandler are healthy, Phila is only going 8 deep.

I love Portland tonight — Lillard, Nurkic and Aminu. All the hype about LeBron in LA is going to have them fired up to put on a show.

If this game gets out of hand I like Kuzma to get minutes and produce.

When it’s all said and done i could see philly regretting trading a top 5 pick AND jayson tatum for markelle fultz. I know its early but i could see tatum ending up as the better player of the two.

And im not just saying that because fultz looks like a terrible mistake.

• thebigboy

I mean yeah Tatum is already much better than Fultz now. That’s not a hot take.

• frugal

@superjon said...

Lakers will win more than 50 games.

I seriously doubt that. In the east perhaps, but suggesting Lebron is going to add 15 wins in the west is a stretch, they are going to get absolutely destroyed down low. I think what we’ll see is extremely inconsistent play where they blow out a powerhouse 1 night and lose to a lottery team the next and finish around .500.

• superjon

@frugal said...

I seriously doubt that. In the east perhaps, but suggesting Lebron is going to add 15 wins in the west is a stretch, they are going to get absolutely destroyed down low. I think what we’ll see is extremely inconsistent play where they blow out a powerhouse 1 night and lose to a lottery team the next and finish around .500.

They won 35 without Lebron last year and this Lakers team is better than the Cavs.

I know the West is better as a whole but there are still some teams the Lakers are better than now with the addition of LBJ

• mtdurham

@Pandamonious said...

I think you have it misconstrued. First of all, I do enjoy a lot of your takes on strategy and game theory. I don’t mind reading a 500 word post when there’s value to it. I always appreciate hearing different views on the matter when GPP approaches are and should be constantly evolving based on sharper fields, changes in the way the game is played and so on. If you’ve been playing DFS for any amount of years and haven’t changed anything in your process you’re probably a losing player.

Metrics are a useful tool, but they do not account for everything. There is still a human factor no computer can figure out. OG is a nice talent. He’s young, still raw, lengthy guy, with the ability to disrupt anybody on the defensive end. He still has almost zero offensive talent. He’s a 3 & D guy, who maybe can develop into more. Right now hes a glue guy on a good team. This is basically the same thing as Covington. They’re great glue guys. Every championship team has a player like this. Tayshaun Price. Iggy, Horry, and so on. These guys will never ever be able to replace an elite scorer who can take over a game. They will never have the skills to carry a team. Because of their role on the team they will always be more efficient players. They only shoot the ball when they’re wide open. When you start saying these guys are better players then what other people consider the elite of the NBA based on whatever metrics or efficiency ratings it’s not going to compute and it shouldn’t. A team full of OG’s and Covington’s might make the playoffs, but when there’s 5 minutes left in the game and they’re down 5 points who is taking over the game, putting the team on their back? Who is the guy drawing attention from the defense and getting these guys open? It’s the ABC’s and Durant’s of the world. It’s Embiid drawing attention in the post that gets Covington’s defender to sag off of him. These are the guys who make those players efficient.

That’s all I have to say on the matter. When I started writing this post there had still been no mention of Nurkic? What’s up? Just everyone playing him and feel like there’s no need to mention him? He’s a lock and load on DK. 50 burger incoming.

Im really sleepy because i havent been to bed yet and i promised not to debate a lot about things on here anymore.

But i will just say this. There are a lot of people who share your opinion, but the data simply does not support the fact that the guys who score points are always the most valuable player.

And an awful lot of people share my opinion on this subject. The debate is literally waged daily on every halfway decent basketball forum in the world and its been ongoing for years.

Im not saying everyone on your side of the debate is an idiot or anything. But i will say that you won’t find many (if any?) idiots on my side of this debate.

I dont think this is really the appropriate forum to argue whether robert covington is more valuable than russell westbrook. So ill leave it at that. Im probably not going to change your opinion anyway, and i can say with absolute certainty that you arent going to change mine.

I made my decisions with regards to the matters a long, long, long time ago. And It would take some real overwhelming evidence to change them. Ive just been at this for too long always hearing why its wrong and then watching certain subsets of players prove it correct year after year.

• WestCrook1

@mtdurham said...

Im really sleepy because i havent been to bed yet and i promised not to debate a lot about things on here anymore.

But i will just say this. There are a lot of people who share your opinion, but the data simply does not support the fact that the guys who score points are always the most valuable player.

And an awful lot of people share my opinion on this subject. The debate is literally waged daily on every halfway decent basketball forum in the world and its been ongoing for years.

Im not saying everyone on your side of the debate is an idiot or anything. But i will say that you won’t find many (if any?) idiots on my side of this debate.

I dont think this is really the appropriate forum to argue whether robert covington is more valuable than russell westbrook. So ill leave it at that. Im probably not going to change your opinion anyway, and i can say with absolute certainty that you arent going to change mine.

I made my decisions with regards to the matters a long, long, long time ago. And It would take some real overwhelming evidence to change them. Ive just been at this for too long always hearing why its wrong and then watching certain subsets of players prove it correct year after year.

Going thru yesterday’s post, I just gotta mention that you were absolutely hilarious and informative. Keep posting man!

• tmarohl

@superjon said...

They won 35 without Lebron last year and this Lakers team is better than the Cavs.

I know the West is better as a whole but there are still some teams the Lakers are better than now with the addition of LBJ

I think the Lakers are a fringe playoff team in the West. They will be fighting for the 7th or 8th seed. I think the Warriors, Rockets, Jazz, Thunder, Nuggets, Pelicans are better than the Lakers. They will be fighting with the Clippers, Spurs and Trailblazers for one of those last two spots. Even the Suns and the Kings looked more competitive than last year based on how they looked last night.

• mtdurham

@superjon said...

I dont know man… that supporting cast is sooooo bad.

Not only are the guys really bad basketball players (for the most part) like rondo, lance, beasley, javale etc but they are literally the who’s who of guys you dont surround lebron with.

A bunch of awful defenders and non shooters. They couldn’t have picked a more motley crue if they tried

• ConnorRoyley

Loving that Dame seems popular today…early reaction to the slate was that hes a great fade.

• frugal

@superjon said...

Different conferences, different rosters. The Lakers didn’t add Lebron to a 35 win team. They lost a major contributor at a position of need in Randle and did not back fill equal talent at that position instead adding shoot first wings to a team already set at the wing. I expect a big trade for a better C near the TDL, I’ll reevaluate at that point.

• mtdurham

@thebigboy said...

I mean yeah Tatum is already much better than Fultz now. That’s not a hot take.

Okay. Im just posting opinions with conservatism in mind

• BerkeleyBoss

Back to Saric I go. Not going back to Olynyk tho, fuck that guy.

I think LeBron is too expensive on FD, but so is every other SF ad it’s a short slate, so I’ll prob play him in almost every lineup.

• WestCrook1

@frugal said...

Different conferences, different rosters. The Lakers didn’t add Lebron to a 35 win team. They lost a major contributor at a position of need in Randle and did not back fill equal talent at that position instead adding shoot first wings to a team already set at the wing. I expect a big trade for a better C near the TDL, I’ll reevaluate at that point.

They have to trade for a C. McGee is terrible and Zubac isn’t ready.

• Turnabuck

DK question. Who will score more tonight? McCollum or Nurkic? And will Beasley get any run?

• WestCrook1

@BerkeleyBoss said...

Back to Saric I go. Not going back to Olynyk tho, fuck that guy.

I think LeBron is too expensive on FD, but so is every other SF ad it’s a short slate, so I’ll prob play him in almost every lineup.

JRich is really priced up. You kinda have to play Bron tonight

• Puma103185

The Lakers overall talent is better then the Cavs but it’s nowhere close to a good fit. To maximize Lebron you have to put the right players around him. The lack of shooting is going to clog down the lanes and it’s going to take some time for Lebron to adapt. For DFS purposes he should be fine but for actually winning games it’s going to take time.

• frugal

@WestCrook1 said...

They have to trade for a C. McGee is terrible and Zubac isn’t ready.

Yeah, I have a weird feeling it will be Marc Gasol.

• Jdeac

Dunn out Payne to start fyi

• dominicanpapi

Lakers should have re-signed Brook Lopez. He’s the perfect center to play with Lebron.

Anyway, Kris Dunn is OUT.

• Guizzy

@mtdurham said...

No thats not it. Its just that i dont want to comment on any specific players anymore because a lot of people cant handle it and are complaining about me disagreeing with them. So im not going to disagree with people anymore.

It will force me to build one creative lineup every night which is a good exercise in lineup building anyway .

And when i lose everyone who dislikes me can feel proud and good about their selections.

And if i win ill just tell them i got lucky. Variance

You post some of the more informative comments from a statistics standpoint when you’re disagreeing with other peoples points/player suggestions, please don’t stop.

You’ve got a good logical mathematical brain, I like it.

(Just maybe try & not rile so many people up lol).

• tmarohl

@frugal said...

Lakers are built to keep Lebron, Ball, Hart and Ingram. Everyone else is on a one year deal so they can dump them all at seasons end and go after another superstar. There are only two ways I see them making a trade of significance. 1) They trade for someone that helps them now but can be let go at the end of the season on an expiring contract, or 2) They somehow get another superstar in a trade now. Butler is available, but I don’t think he is the type of player that would help the Lakers as much as he would other teams. He is also looking for a max deal and he isn’t a max level player.

• frugal

@Puma103185 said...

The Lakers overall talent is better then the Cavs but it’s nowhere close to a good fit. To maximize Lebron you have to put the right players around him. The lack of shooting is going to clog down the lanes and it’s going to take some time for Lebron to adapt. For DFS purposes he should be fine but for actually winning games it’s going to take time.

They have decent 3 point shooting in Hart, KCP, Ingram, Kuzma, and Beasley. The issue is almost all of them are forwards which just doesn’t work with Lebron also playing forward. the need to thin out the wing considerably and add a starting quality C. And Hart should probably be ahead of Rondo in the depth chart.

• mtdurham

@WestCrook1 said...

Going thru yesterday’s post, I just gotta mention that you were absolutely hilarious and informative. Keep posting man!

Thanks i do try to share a lot of my NBA insight. I love the sport its a passion of mine. I actually really enjoy Helping people learn about the NBA because a lot of people IMO dont see the true beauty of the sport.

Sometimes tne math can get a little overwhelming as no one likes to be told their eyes are wrong. But their are simply too many intracacies involved on each possession for the untrained (or trained for that matter) eye to really understand the level of impact each player has on the floor.

Thats why in the long run the data wins out time and time again. And the people who convert to the “dark side” grow to love the game. Its one thing to be told that OG Anunoby is just as good as Anthony Davis. But its another thing entirely when you start to see it for yourself because you know what to look for on the court

• DFSToddler

Philly is going to crush the Bulls even worse than they already would have without Dunn, I’m very hesitant to play Simmons/Embiid with what could be little to no mins in the 4th.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).