7:00 PM EST : Phoenix ( 10 ) at New Orleans ( -10 ) —- T: 228
    8:00 PM EST : Cleveland ( 5.5 ) at Chicago ( -5.5 ) —- T: 212
    8:00 PM EST : Philadelphia ( 2 ) at Memphis ( -2 ) —- T: 209
    8:00 PM EST : Washington ( 0 ) at Miami ( 0 ) —- T: —
    8:30 PM EST : Houston ( -2 ) at San Antonio ( 2 ) —- T: 210
    8:00 PM EST : Brooklyn ( 0 ) at Golden St ( 0 ) —- T: —
    8:00 PM EST : Oklahoma ( 0 ) at Dallas ( 0 ) —- T: —
    10:00 PM EST : LA Lakers ( -5.5 ) at Sacramento ( 5.5 ) —- T: 240

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – NBA strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterdays games will be moved to yesterdays NBA thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted..

• Wooden_Bones

@RandysCrow said...

Taj and Saric dig into each other’s value. Going to be hard getting into a flow. Plus you know that is not Coach Ts style. Whoever starts is going to get the run. So one of either Saric or Taj is now basically bench dust (probably Taj).

I agree. The thing to keep in mind is that as long as Tibs is coaching there is little value for players on the bench. He loves tight rotations that give starters as much run as they can handle.

• monarch

I dont get Saric as an asset for them in the West…in which playoff series does he help? It will be very difficult for him and KAT to share the court vs the Warriors, Rockets, Lakers from a defensive perspective.

• mbunner23

I don’t see how it works on the court for Philly. Yes, they obviously got the better player but besides Redick, nobody on that team can consistently shoot the 3. Spacing will be a factor adding Jimmy because Simmons can’t shoot and Butler isn’t a catch and shoot player either. Simmons stats will take a huge hit, watch and see.

• monarch

Why didn’t the Sixers go for Dieng why they were at it? He wont play for the Wolves any longer.

• biged263835

@dramos77 said...

Projections are up. Will only update once more at 4pm as I will out with my wife for our anniversary. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1b5KnkMiIIGCi8hdgl2SVm-NMEguWnREOQ7Ym11Lqk_M/edit#gid=1939832478
    Se the results and what others are saying about the success with my model on my twitter @dfsenchilada

Interesting, any reason for KDs projection of 35 on FD? He put up 55 vs BKLYN a week ago with Curry playing.

• mtdurham

@kbsktbll88 said...

So Minnesota basically gave up LaVine, Dunn and Jimmy for RoCo and Saric… and they won?? lololol .. just set that franchise back a few more years.

You’ve got this completely backwards.

Lavine is atrocious, he was addition by subtraction.

Dunn is a huge bust. He’s a bad backup PG at best. Not a guy you want in a playoff rotation for certain.

Jimmy is an asset they acquired for virtually nothing. They got a great year out of him but he’s on the wrong side of 30 and wants a max contract. They just flipped him for literally the best value contract in the league in RoCo and a young Saric who has shown some real upside and is at WORST a very good player. He’s been forced to play a bit out of position a lot in Philly and they have had some pretty dysfunctional units on the floor at times. I wouldnt be surprised at all to see him thrive in Minnesota.

• kbsktbll88

@yisman said...

Houston’s package was easily better than Philly’s, IMO.

I don’t understand how Minnesota turns down Houston and takes Covington/Saric.

They had to move Butler but why did they turn down Houston and have the circus for the last few weeks, only to do this?

Probably cause that idiot Thibs is trying to save his job. He needs to make the playoffs and show Taylor that they’re contenders. Giving up LaVine, Dunn and Butler for a bunch of picks is putting them back in rebuild mode… which they’ve been in forever already.

• dolphinkick182

Well now that makes the wolves way better…They got Bayless too lol.

• monarch

@mbunner23 said...

I don’t see how it works on the court for Philly. Yes, they obviously got the better player but besides Redick, nobody on that team can consistently shoot the 3. Spacing will be a factor adding Jimmy because Simmons can’t shoot and Butler isn’t a catch and shoot player either. Simmons stats will take a huge hit, watch and see.

I dont know.

Simmons
    Reddick
    Shamet
    Butler
    Embiid

Four guys who can shoot and get their own shot that have to be guarded around Simmons. That’s not bad.

• eatmyturf23

@Wrx_guy said...

I wonder how it impacts Simmons. I’m guessing it will only make him better?

Simmons doesn’t have a game outside the paint. Butler should become the combo PG/SF now while Simmons sticks to playing Forward. I think it hurts Simmons a little, but he didn’t deserve to handle the ball as much as he did.

• mtdurham

@monarch said...

That’s not bad.

I’d hesitate to say it’s “bad” but it’s certainly worse than what they had.

That team is going to struggle to score points.

• Petergunz82

How does the trade affect tonight’s slate?

• captainwacky

@mtdurham said...

Dunn is a huge bust. He’s a bad backup PG at best. Not a guy you want in a playoff rotation for certain.

Jimmy is an asset they acquired for virtually nothing. They got a great year out of him but he’s on the wrong side of 30 and wants a max contract. They just flipped him for literally the best value contract in the league in RoCo and a young Saric who has shown some real upside and is at WORST a very good player. He’s been forced to play a bit out of position a lot in Philly and they have had some pretty dysfunctional units on the floor at times. I wouldnt be surprised at all to see him thrive in Minnesota.

Ironically, I think we have the same values in liking players, but you don’t really have to polarize it so much. There’s a lot of nuance in basketball that analytics funnels towards efficient role players.

I love advanced stats, and believe that in order, the most impactful traits in good NBA players are 1) defense 2) knowing your role 3) decision making on both ends 4) passing 5) whatever your offensive skillset is… which seems to align with how you assess people. But each of these items has a value placed on it, and a high weight on any of them can help overcome deficiencies in the others. I think that players like Kyrie, Wiggins, D-Lo, Klay are replaceable wastes of whatever gifts they’ve been given, and love 3 and D, hustle players. But to sum up Covington as that valuable is not really accurate…there’s not a lot of clamoring for him, and OG Anunoby, and a team of 5 of those dudes isn’t going to beat a team of 5 Kevin Durants or Jimmy Butlers no matter what advance stats say they add.

• RandysCrow

• Ranked #40

RG Tiered Ranking

@mbunner23 said...

Simmons stats will take a huge hit, watch and see.

I agree with this. Jimmy will want (has) to have the ball in his hands where as RoCo did not. So this means less ball handling for Simmons and now essentially takes the PG part of his game away. RoCo was a much better fit for him and his style of play.

Jimmy can shoot the three some, but not like RoCo. So teams will be able to sag a little more and help on Embiid.

Adding Butler to their current pieces I think diminishes the value of all involved in my opinion.

As far as fantasy goes, I now see them all as probably 40-45 point producers on most nights with one of the three occasionally popping off for the 50+. So they will probably be overpriced in the short term until sites adjust.

• mtdurham

@eatmyturf23 said...

Simmons doesn’t have a game outside the paint. Butler should become the combo PG/SF now while Simmons sticks to playing Forward. I think it hurts Simmons a little, but he didn’t deserve to handle the ball as much as he did.

Simmons NEEDS the ball. He’s a great distributor and he can’t play off the ball very effectively because he can’t shoot.

He’s still dangerous as a cutter so you can’t leave him unguarded on the perimeter or anything but he definitely has more value on the ball than off the ball.

Butler is the same way. That’s part of the reason this trade doesn’t really help them.

This is what happens when you make a greenhorn like Elton Brand your GM. He’s out there trying to build a fantasy basketball team instead of a championship NBA team.

• yisman

@mtdurham said...

Butler is 29.

• monarch

I’m speculating that Butler will play with Embiid a lot. He is an excellent post feeder. Simmons is just a freelancer and will probably sub out early then lead the second unit with more pace. I dont think Simmons+Butler+Embiid will play at the same time all that much.

• dolphinkick182

Maybe everyone saying he’s ducking Fox had an affect?

Dave McMenamin

Verified account

@mcten
    33s
    33 seconds ago

More
    Lonzo Ball is on the court for Lakers shootaround this morning without any wrap on his ankle.

• mtdurham

@captainwacky said...

But to sum up Covington as that valuable is not really accurate…there’s not a lot of clamoring for him, and OG Anunoby, and a team of 5 of those dudes isn’t going to beat a team of 5 Kevin Durants or Jimmy Butlers no matter what advance stats say they add.

What makes players like that so valuable is how much better they make their teammates and how many of their teammates deficiencies they are able to cover for. That is why their team performs so much better on offense AND defense when they’re on the court.

You’re not saying that a team of 5 of them is going anywhere. You’re saying they play their role at such a high level that ultimately they have a higher net impact on the court than players who possess a skillset more geared towards scoring.

• JdotBrone

Great trade for both teams IMO.

Covington and Saric are expendable role players?? Man sometimes I wonder if you guys even watch any basketball.

• IronMonkey415

Melo is out

• kbsktbll88

@IronMonkey415 said...

Melo is out

“illness” ..hope this means he’s getting waived. Don’t even want anything back for him.

• yisman

@IronMonkey415 said...

Melo is out

should be out of the NBA at this point. A guy with that ego and highly diminished skills…

• eatmyturf23

@mtdurham said...

Simmons NEEDS the ball. He’s a great distributor and he can’t play off the ball very effectively because he can’t shoot.

Sure, but he can’t shoot outside the paint, and he refuses to work on his mid to long range game, which is today’s NBA. He blamed prior coaches, saying they never worked with him on it, but his college coach said that Simmons refused to try, and he had this offseason to develop a long game and still chose not to in spite of the Philly coach’s insistence.

That was my point. Butler has a better-developed game and will take that broader role Simmons was inefficiently filling, and Simmons will be limited to the paint where he’s best.

• IronMonkey415

Are they waving good bye to him in your avatar?

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).