• Lead Moderator

• Blogger of the Month

7:00 PM EST : Detroit ( 3 ) at Charlotte ( -3 ) —- T: 198.5
    7:30 PM EST : LA Clippers ( -12.5 ) at Brooklyn ( 12.5 ) —- T: 217.5
    8:00 PM EST : Cleveland ( -6.5 ) at Milwaukee ( 6.5 ) —- T: 212
    8:00 PM EST : LA Lakers ( 5 ) at New Orleans ( -5 ) —- T: 217
    8:30 PM EST : Orlando ( 13.5 ) at San Antonio ( -13.5 ) —- T: 196.5
    9:00 PM EST : Houston ( -2 ) at Utah ( 2 ) —- T: 202

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – NBA strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterdays games will be moved to yesterdays NBA thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted. Please make it a point to say if you’re talking about Cash or GPP options.

• Epignosis

RG Overall Ranking

@Beckhams3Fingers said...

Is it crazy to assume that if you go Westy, Boogie, Harden… we know their ownerships will be through the roof, but what those salaries also do is for you to find punts. Most guys will find the same punts. How are you differentiating yourself? You aren’t. Which is why you aren’t taking down large GPPs.

Now, if we look at a world were where always fade those guys (I’m guilty of not practicing what I preach here about 50% of the time lol), things start to look really really different. you start looking at a 7k guy, because you can.

I’m not saying that my theory is like “right”, it’s just a theory. But, if we know that differentiating yourself from the field is the only way to win of these, and we KNOW that so many guys think they need a 10k stud… what does that tell us? We only know what we know (I never understood that, but it sounds awesome).

Building 5k to 9k max line-ups isn’t like being conservative. I’d argue it’s being more contrarian than people realize.

You are brushing with broad strokes. Every slate is different.

• ActionJunkie

Here’s the winning line-up in the DK 4 point play $500K tonight:

PG Chris Paul 24.0%
    SG Sean Kilpatrick 12.7%
    SF Tobias Harris 13.2%
    PF Trevor Booker 6.9%
    C Brook Lopez 7.2%
    G Kentavious Caldwell-Pope 12.0%
    F LaMarcus Aldridge 9.4%
    UTIL DeAndre Jordan 25.6%

TOTAL FANTASY POINTS: 391.50

Easy peasy lemon squeezy. This actually supports a theory I’ve been working on for a while now, and it’s this. You have a better chance of taking down one of these by spending 9K max on your chalk play. What you really want is guys in the 7k, 6k, 5k range. His lowest priced player comes in at 4.9k. No punts here boys.

In a way, it’s being contrarian without really trying. Most guys think you need a Brow, Westy, Boogie in there to take em down. Not true.

You most certainly needed Brow tonight if there wasn’t a double OT which was extremely unlikely. So your analysis really doesn’t mean much for tonight other than showing double OT can overcome a ~75+ from one player.

• Beckhams3Fingers

@Epignosis said...

Tonight was a fluky night if there ever was one.

Seems to me almost every night in the NBA has become fluky.

• dogplayer

@gravitymaze said...

Hill, Leonard, and James had off nights. Not much you could do there. The only positive is that next game they will be played less. Like I got burned by Pope and went with him again and yep much lower ownership this time.

• Epignosis

RG Overall Ranking

Seems to me almost every night in the NBA has become fluky.

Every night? I wouldn’t say that. I would say that it’s still relatively early in the season and coaches are still trying new things, so there’s that. I had a very successful run with NBA after Christmas. This is my first go at it before.

• dogplayer

@tmarohl said...

I am never playing cash games again. Wouldn’t you think this lineup could score more than 230.6 points on FD?
    Beverly
    Hill
    Lamb
    Clarkson
    Leonard
    James
    Davis
    Nance
    Thompson.

GPP’s only for me baby!

Beverly, Lamb, Nance, & Thompson weren’t safe cash plays.

• tmarohl

I have 34 entries for Megaslam next week. That will be a fun day making lineups.

• MisterMister

This is actually a million times harder than the lottery. The Lottery features 10 numbers, 0 through 9. DFS you have to sift through DOZENS of player names and hope that the correct eight or nine (depending on what site you play) come out of the little machine at the end of the night and fatten your wallet.

When mostly the machine produces peanutty poo that you can conveniently stick in your bed.

• Sleepyfloyd16

Finished with a good score and had a profitable night. A little irritated with Jamal Crawford though, who definitely didn’t take advantage of the extra playing time (15 fpts in 35 min). My Beasley pick worked out, so that helped make up for Crawford’s abysmal performance.

• gravitymaze

@MisterMister said...

This is actually a million times harder than the lottery. The Lottery features 10 numbers, 0 through 9. DFS you have to sift through DOZENS of player names and hope that the correct eight or nine (depending on what site you play) come out of the little machine at the end of the night and fatten your wallet.

When mostly the machine produces peanutty poo that you can conveniently stick in your bed.

Only that the lottery does not have a top winner every night. Like someone said here its 60 percent research 40 percent luck. Much better odds lol

• KindGuy

@MisterMister said...

Insert Kobe confused gif

• tonytone1908

Try this GPP guys.. spend your usual amount of time building a line-up. For some of you, that might be 10 hours. Anyway, once you’re done… build another line-up in 5 minutes, completely fading everyone you spent 10 hours getting a chubby over. That’s how you take down a monster GPP. You can thank me with financial donations after your score :P

For real. I did that once. Took everyone in my lineup and moved em all up or down a spot or two. I did pretty well on that lineup if I recall.

• Johno

Agreed…. I don’t listen to the shows prior to tip off anymore. I seem to do better with just the facts (match-up, usage, late news, etc) football guys being basketball “experts” does not help….

• marino4ever

Can someone who watched Mil and Cleveland explain to me how Kevin Love scored 20 in the 1st quarter, and scored 13 or so in the next 3? Or how LeBron scored 13 in the first quarter, but couldn’t even double that in the next 3? Or how Tristan Thompson could score 18 in the first quarter, and score 8 points in the next 3? Serious question…

What about George Hill? What happened to him tonight? How about Kilpatrick? I saw he had 4.4 points at half-time and almost shit myself. I know he had double OT, but even before OT he turned it around with 33 total points late in the 4th (from what I saw).

My DK single entry LU had Pope, Kilpatrick, Harris, Davis, and Hayward. I ended up cashing 3.5x my buy in, but that LU (the only LU in which I had a combo of Pope, Harris, Kilpatrick) was tanked by Hill and Lamb chop.

• tmarohl

@marino4ever said...

Can someone who watched Mil and Cleveland explain to me how Kevin Love scored 20 in the 1st quarter, and scored 13 or so in the next 3? Or how LeBron scored 13 in the first quarter, but couldn’t even double that in the next 3? Or how Tristan Thompson could score 18 in the first quarter, and score 8 points in the next 3? Serious question…

What about George Hill? What happened to him tonight? How about Kilpatrick? I saw he had 4.4 points at half-time and almost shit myself. I know he had double OT, but even before OT he turned it around with 33 total points late in the 4th (from what I saw).

My DK single entry LU had Pope, Kilpatrick, Harris, Davis, and Hayward. I ended up cashing 3.5x my buy in, but that LU (the only LU in which I had a combo of Pope, Harris, Kilpatrick) was tanked by Hill and Lamb chop.

The Greek Freak Happened. Seriously, Cleveland shot 39 threes and missed most of them. That was the story. That and Giannis made Lebron his little bitch.

• chronoxiong

I am so depressed. I felt like breaking down while I was at work earlier. Here’s the reason why: I had to work at 3pm pst with my lineup locked and loaded because we are not supposed to have our phones on us while working. Not being aware of anything when I finally got to go on break, I noticed that CP3 was about 55% owned in all my 50/50s. That was odd. How is that so? Blake Griffin was out. He was announced as out at 3:07pm pst on Rotoworld. Well that sucks. Night goes on, I go on lunch break. I see the Clippers/Nets game go to double OT and I have no shares of CP3. I get sad. Then I check Unibrow’s owned percentage and he was about 60-70% owned. The Pelicans were up big yet Unibrow kept showing up in the live updates. I kept waiting to see him get benched but he kept racking up unnecessary stats. Then I found out he played 41 minutes…..in a blowout win. Why? What did I do to deserve this?

Anyways, my cash lineup scored 249.4 which won nothing. I had some horrible duds with George Hill getting Patrick Beverley, Kawhi Leonard loves to kill me, paying up for Kevin Love was a disaster and the chalk Kaminsky and Clarkson plays. Yeps. I am sick of everything. I am seriously considering retirement. I am tired of donating money. Especially when it’s not fun doing it.

• Yombo

@chronoxiong said...

I am so depressed. I felt like breaking down while I was at work earlier. Here’s the reason why: I had to work at 3pm pst with my lineup locked and loaded because we are not supposed to have our phones on us while working. Not being aware of anything when I finally got to go on break, I noticed that CP3 was about 55% owned in all my 50/50s. That was odd. How is that so? Blake Griffin was out. He was announced as out at 3:07pm pst on Rotoworld. Well that sucks. Night goes on, I go on lunch break. I see the Clippers/Nets game go to double OT and I have no shares of CP3. I get sad. Then I check Unibrow’s owned percentage and he was about 60-70% owned. The Pelicans were up big yet Unibrow kept showing up in the live updates. I kept waiting to see him get benched but he kept racking up unnecessary stats. Then I found out he played 41 minutes…..in a blowout win. Why? What did I do to deserve this?

Anyways, my cash lineup scored 249.4 which won nothing. I had some horrible duds with George Hill getting Patrick Beverley, Kawhi Leonard loves to kill me, paying up for Kevin Love was a disaster and the chalk Kaminsky and Clarkson plays. Yeps. I am sick of everything. I am seriously considering retirement. I am tired of donating money. Especially when it’s not fun doing it.

i was pretty annoyed by today but many people lose every day (50% of teams lose in cash games and 80% in GPPs). if it’s getting annoying and stressful just take a couple days off until you want to play again

• damionismyname

@MisterMister said...

It’s like the lottery but in dfs you have to pick a number from 1 – 10, 10 – 20, 30 – 40 and so forth. You know the number range but you only get one shot to pick the right one in that range and that is dfs. You know the general area to look but you may just pick the wrong one that cost you thousands of dollars. And even when you do have that number picks whose to say that won’t smack someone with their elbow and get ejected?

• madmanjayWV

@marino4ever said...

Didn’t watch a second of it, listened to the 3rd quarter on radio — Coach Ty was effing ticked off the CAVS were sucking arse and not giving effort so he benched the entire starting 5 near the end of the 3rd quarter…not sure if they saw the floor in the 4th, but that’s what happened.

They just never really showed up in the first half, although it was close and they sucked so bad in the 3rd they all got #PINETIME…so glad my small budget avoided this slate aside from a single entry GPP…phew…………

• SkateFiend

@chronoxiong said...

You might want to consider taking a break from DK and FD and try Yahoo or Draftday where the competition isn’t as fierce. “Studs and Duds” LUs are viable in Yahoo cash games. I either break even or make small profit every night.

I had my share of George Hill and Beverly, and even Nick Young. But I had AD + Greek or Harden in every lineup and and half of them snuck into cash lines. Kilpatrick sort of helped, but he was a cash game play anyways.

• marino4ever

@SkateFiend said...

You might want to consider taking a break from DK and FD and try Yahoo or Draftday where the competition isn’t as fierce. “Studs and Duds” LUs are viable in Yahoo cash games. I either break even or make small profit every night.

I had my share of George Hill and Beverly, and even Nick Young. But I had AD + Greek or Harden in every lineup and and half of them snuck into cash lines. Kilpatrick sort of helped, but he was a cash game play anyways.

Truth about Yahoo. Yahoo is always an ego boost. It’s a shame the tourney’s are so small though. 4k most nights. Maybe a 5k one here and there. Last year, they were double the size (prior to introducing their “fair play” format).

1 Stud $50+
    1 Almost stud $28-$40ish
    3 low range players from $10-$18
    3 mid range players from $19-$28

That’s basically how to cash in yahoo these days. I’m totally serious too (atleast most slates, there are the rare stud-less slates, in which case guys like IT2, Leonard, Griffin, Paul, Kemba, etc… you can double up on). Unlike FD and DK, where almost everyone (relevant) is in play, Yahoo rosters basically create themselves.. If it wasn’t for yahoo, I’d be losing money in DFS this year, after profiting a couple hundred in DK and FD last NBA season.

• chronoxiong

@SkateFiend said...

I have been seeing some peeps I know migrate to Yahoo. I wonder if that is truly the case. I just hate the idea of doing studs and duds lineups though. I don’t know. It might just be me. But true, you do have a good point. I think that the fact that there is no edge anymore has truly taken a toll on me. I am tired of seeing certain players be highly owned now. You even try making a different lineup in cash games, you risk losing.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).