NBA FORUM

• bhdevault

• Lead Moderator

• Blogger of the Month

7:00 PM EST : Washington ( -1.5 ) at Charlotte ( 1.5 ) —- T: 231.5
    8:00 PM EST : Denver ( 4 ) at Philadelphia ( -4 ) —- T: 205
    8:00 PM EST : Atlanta ( 9 ) at Miami ( -9 ) —- T: 214.5
    10:00 PM EST : New York ( 9 ) at Portland ( -9 ) —- T: 218.5

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – NBA strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterday’s games will be moved to yesterday’s NBA thread. Any off topic posts, troll posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted. While the use of GIF’s are acceptable, content must be posted along with them.

• FunchessOfFun

On the plus side I’ve been sweating Yisman’s 2k ticket entry against thatstunna…congrats man

• superstars92

Ok Knicks organization sucks.

1) This is when you play RJ Barrett. This is how you get him confidence. He would be the best player on the court. This is how he can put up some stats and feel good about himself.

2) The mistreatment of Mitchell Robinson is insane. He is probably the 5th best player in last year’s draft and yet the Knicks refuse to play him heavy minutes. He should be starting and playing 30 mins every game. He needs playing time to develop.

This organization really is completely garbage. They can’t even get garbage time right.

I mean last night Thunder were blowing out Utah. Do you know who DIDN’T COME OUT when all the other starters were pulled? Yea SGA…and that was with Thunder winning.

• superstars92

@bt443407 said...

God unleash fury on the garbage organization that is the NY Knicks

They actually made an amazing pick in Mitchell Robinson. In a re-draft of last year’s draft, honestly, he would go possibly 5th at worse 7th. I would have

Luka
    Trae
    JJJ
    SGA
    Ayton
    Bagley

and then honestly Robinson at 7th in the worst case. There are cases he could go 5th even because not everyone needed a guard.

And yet they play him off the bench for like 20 mins a game. Such a joke. So even when they “win”, they lose.

Robinson has the ability to average 4 BLKS/game in his prime and be able to shoot the 3 imo but the Knicks treatment of him is terrible. Sigh. Just sad.

• RipCityRings

@superstars92 said...

Ok Knicks organization sucks.

1) This is when you play RJ Barrett. This is how you get him confidence. He would be the best player on the court. This is how he can put up some stats and feel good about himself.

2) The mistreatment of Mitchell Robinson is insane. He is probably the 5th best player in last year’s draft and yet the Knicks refuse to play him heavy minutes. He should be starting and playing 30 mins every game. He needs playing time to develop.

This organization really is completely garbage. They can’t even get garbage time right.

I mean last night Thunder were blowing out Utah. Do you know who DIDN’T COME OUT when all the other starters were pulled? Yea SGA…and that was with Thunder winning.

Which is why OKC has managed to rise to the 7th seed despite an off-season roster apocalypse. For how historically incompetent they’ve been at squandering talent, they managed to grab some great assets and put together a surprisingly respectable/competitive team.

Knicks should just call it a day and close up shop. New York doesn’t need two teams. We at least need a relegation system that’s integrated with the G league to force teams like the Knicks to improve.

• superstars92

@RipCityRings said...

Which is why OKC has managed to rise to the 7th seed despite an off-season roster apocalypse. For how historically incompetent they’ve been at squandering talent, they managed to grab some great assets and put together a surprisingly respectable/competitive team.

Knicks should just call it a day and close up shop. New York doesn’t need two teams. We at least need a relegation system that’s integrated with the G league to force teams like the Knicks to improve.

OKC got someone in SGA who actually can be really, really good.

Everyone says last year the top 2 were Luka and Trae and while that may be the case right now, I think SGA could be better than Trae. He has the length/height Trae does not have and is a way better defender.

OKC definitely has a shot to make the playoffs. I had them 9th but that was before the Warriors injuries pre season so they would be 8th had I known Steph would be gone.

• yisman

@FunchessOfFun said...

On the plus side I’ve been sweating Yisman’s 2k ticket entry against thatstunna…congrats man

thanks! I appreciate it.

Dame 45 FP in 29 minutes
    Whiteside 49.75 in 26 minutes

impressive

Key was Mario played and got a bunch of rebounds.

In other news, the Yankees just gave $324 million to Gerrit Cole.

• captainwacky

@superstars92 said...

They actually made an amazing pick in Mitchell Robinson. In a re-draft of last year’s draft, honestly, he would go possibly 5th at worse 7th. I would have

Luka
    Trae
    JJJ
    SGA
    Ayton
    Bagley

and then honestly Robinson at 7th in the worst case. There are cases he could go 5th even because not everyone needed a guard.

And yet they play him off the bench for like 20 mins a game. Such a joke. So even when they “win”, they lose.

Robinson has the ability to average 4 BLKS/game in his prime and be able to shoot the 3 imo but the Knicks treatment of him is terrible. Sigh. Just sad.

I think I’d still have Bagley 2nd or 3rd, but that seems pretty accurate otherwise to me. I really think if given the right opportunity (which might mean leaving sacramento), Bagely should be ridiculous,

• RipCityRings

@superstars92 said...

Luka
    Trae
    JJJ
    SGA
    Ayton
    Bagley

and then honestly Robinson at 7th in the worst case. There are cases he could go 5th even.

And yet they play him off the bench for like 20 mins a game. Such a joke. So even they “win”, they lose.

It amazes me how much people undervalue Ayton, he had one of the most efficient rookie seasons ever despite playing on a dumpster fire of a team. He had the second-highest true shooting % by a rookie scoring over 15ppg ever (last one was Bill Cartwright in 79-80), averaged 18 and 11 on 64% from the field and shot 75% at the line.

Compare that to JJJ who you have two slots above him: 16/5 on 45% shooting. Ayton never gets respect simply because the Suns chose him over Doncic and Trae, but I guarantee once he’s back (and playing with a true PG in Rubio) he’ll turn some heads again.

• superstars92

@captainwacky said...

I think I’d still have Bagley 2nd or 3rd, but that seems pretty accurate otherwise to me. I really think if given the right opportunity (which might mean leaving sacramento), Bagely should be ridiculous,

Wow Yankees just got Cole. GG rest of the league. Wait why is this quoted. I guess I should respond.

Yea jury’s still out on Bagley for sure. JJJ also since he has so much modern day upside but fouls a lot right now.

Robinson I think is got way more upside than most of the 1st round imo. Like if there was a redraft, I’m sure Knicks draft Robinson FIRST and then the probable bust Kevin Knox in Robinson’s spot if he was avaliable there.

• captainwacky

@superstars92 said...

OKC got someone in SGA who actually can be really, really good.

Everyone says last year the top 2 were Luka and Trae and while that may be the case right now, I think SGA could be better than Trae. He has the length/height Trae does not have and is a way better defender.

OKC definitely has a shot to make the playoffs. I had them 9th but that was before the Warriors injuries pre season so they would be 8th had I known Steph would be gone.

I spent all day piling on Trae so I’m not going to stop now… a lot of those guys have much higher ceilings than Trae, he’s just obviously a better product right now. But in terms of being a contributor to a winner, those guys have better makeup.

• captainwacky

@RipCityRings said...

It amazes me how much people undervalue Ayton, he had one of the most efficient rookie seasons ever despite playing on a dumpster fire of a team. He had the second-highest true shooting % by a rookie scoring over 15ppg ever (last one was Bill Cartwright in 79-80), averaged 18 and 11 on 64% from the field and shot 75% at the line.

Compare that to JJJ who you have two slots above him: 16/5 on 45% shooting. Ayton never gets respect simply because the Suns chose him over Doncic and Trae, but I guarantee once he’s back (and playing with a true PG in Rubio) he’ll turn some heads again.

I don’t think Ayton is bad or anything, but grading young players on bad teams based on their stats (in either direction most of the time) is not painting the entire picture. Especially in the pace the league is playing now. The efficiency for him is encouraging, though. Mostly it’s that he has a long way to develop nuance on both ends that will make him good, but his body and skillset is good enough that he can do it. He’s not the biggest travesty pick or anything, despite the fact that Luka turned out to be wayyyyyyy better than initially anticipated.

• superstars92

@captainwacky said...

I spent all day piling on Trae so I’m not going to stop now… a lot of those guys have much higher ceilings than Trae, he’s just obviously a better product right now. But in terms of being a contributor to a winner, those guys have better makeup.

Oh I need to read it. I don’t like Trae that much. I never have, but he has proven me wrong with his offense. I imagine he would be Lou Williams in his price, but it looks like he’s already more efficient than him. Both are equally bad at defense. So while I originally thought his comp was Lou Will, it looks like that’s his floor, which isn’t too bad.

Trae’s defense is a major issue though. SGA has incredible defensive upside. And it isn’t really Trae’s fault. It’s just unlucky he’s so short and not long. If he was short but had Bledsoe like length/athleticism, he would be great but he doesn’t have that.

• RipCityRings

Also while we’re at it, Bagley only averaged 14/10 on an abysmal 37.5% from the field and 50% from the line. Ayton without a doubt should’ve been a top 3 pick.

• Yukerboy

• Blogger of the Month

That Robinson block at the end dropped my DK winnings by 300 then Fanduel took a point away from me somewhere, costing another 400.

• theIrrigator

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #36

RG Tiered Ranking

$35 in $602 out in the NY/Por Showdown. Saved me from my 80% loss on DK main slate. Only lost about half my entry fees on FD

• theIrrigator

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #36

RG Tiered Ranking

Congrats Yukerboy for hanging on to 2nd and 7th in the mini-max. Excluding Barton on accident and playing 80% Herro killed me in that contest

• superstars92

@RipCityRings said...

Also while we’re at it, Bagley only averaged 14/10 on an abysmal 37.5% from the field and 50% from the line. Ayton without a doubt should’ve been a top 3 pick.

Re-draft today keeping the same teams? Btw, Bagley has like a sample size of 1 game lol in your example of 14/10 and 37.5%. Wait until he comes back. Ayton also has a 1 game sample size since he got busted for PEDs…

I guess SAC wouldn’t draft Trae with Fox (my list was just prospect list not a fit list, Trae would be the 2nd prospect but obviously wouldn’t go 2nd), so I guess they do need a C. I’m not positive who they draft exactly in that case. Maybe Ayton you are right.

Ayton hasn’t been as impressive as I thought. His defense is the issue. Maybe he got better but he hasn’t played this year so I’m not sure. Last year he averaged like 1 combined block + steal and he had terrible defensive rating and the Suns were terrible as a team on defense.

Bagley also was terrible at defense last year, so not sure.

I personally like JJJ because of his defense, but he can’t stay out of foul trouble.

• captainwacky

@superstars92 said...

Oh I need to read it. I don’t like Trae that much. I never have, but he has proven me wrong with his offense. I imagine he would be Lou Williams in his price, but it looks like he’s already more efficient than him. Both are equally bad at defense. So while I originally thought his comp was Lou Will, it looks like that’s his floor, which isn’t too bad.

Trae’s defense is a major issue though. SGA has incredible defensive upside. And it isn’t really Trae’s fault. It’s just unlucky he’s so short and not long. If he was short but had Bledsoe like length/athleticism, he would be great but he doesn’t have that.

Well, sure (in regard to the size thing), and as I’ve alluded to, his skills are fantastic on the offensive end… but the hawks are going to ruin his chance of being great if they don’t get better pieces on both ends around him and as an analytics core. His habits are abysmal on offense, they just don’t matter because they suck and his skills are usually enough at times to hide the bad habits. But it shows up in his shot selection and unforced turnovers (which again, aren’t all his fault, they are compounded by his surroundings). And then he’s the fanciest cone of all time on defense.

• superstars92

@NoLimits I reran what you were saying earlier. You should take a look at BBM optimal. You shouldn’t look at RG optimal, I’m not sure most people are straight using that. If they are, do the optimal for floor, not for average. Olynyk would have no floor so he wouldn’t count in the optimal floor team.

• RipCityRings

@captainwacky said...

I don’t think Ayton is bad or anything, but grading young players on bad teams based on their stats (in either direction most of the time) is not painting the entire picture. Especially in the pace the league is playing now. The efficiency for him is encouraging, though. Mostly it’s that he has a long way to develop nuance on both ends that will make him good, but his body and skillset is good enough that he can do it. He’s not the biggest travesty pick or anything, despite the fact that Luka turned out to be wayyyyyyy better than initially anticipated.

I agree that stats don’t paint the whole picture, but in Ayton’s case I think it’s hard to overlook how historic his rookie season was. Compare him to other high picks on shitty teams like Knox or Josh Jackson who put up numbers on awful efficiency. Booker was one of the most ball-dominant players in the league last year and Phoenix basically didn’t feed their #1 pick at all, yet within that diminished role he excelled at virtually everything other than defense. 75% from the line from a 6’ 11” rookie center is insane, not to speak of his general scoring efficiency.

Still remains to be seen how he’ll develop (and whether he can keep it up without the juice), but he has arguably a higher ceiling than anyone but Doncic in that draft in terms of quality basketball (sorry Trae).

• captainwacky

I agree ayton’s ceiling is very high relative to all the other dudes in that class sans Luka. Like I said, I’m not down on him or anything. But he does have lot of development on both ends before that becomes anything.

• superstars92

@RipCityRings said...

I agree that stats don’t paint the whole picture, but in Ayton’s case I think it’s hard to overlook how historic his rookie season was. Compare him to other high picks on shitty teams like Knox or Josh Jackson who put up numbers on awful efficiency. Booker was one of the most ball-dominant players in the league last year and Phoenix basically didn’t feed their #1 pick at all, yet within that diminished role he excelled at virtually everything other than defense. 75% from the line from a 6’ 11” rookie center is insane, not to speak of his general scoring efficiency.

Still remains to be seen how he’ll develop (and whether he can keep it up without the juice), but he has arguably a higher ceiling than anyone but Doncic in that draft in terms of quality basketball (sorry Trae).

Haha Josh Jackson = Kevin Knox = Cam Reddish. Happens every year, not sure why everyone hates my Reddish takes. It’s like clockwork. Draft a wing player who has superior physical skills when he was young but showed absolutely no efficency/good stats/have a low basketball IQ, and you get a bust.

This is because in the NBA, everyone catches up to you physically/other players are just as physically gifted. Someone like Josh Jackson who was so built coming out of college can’t really get that much stronger.

Not sure why everyone hates my Reddish take. It’s painfully obvious he’s headed for straight bust territory. He’s lucky if he carves out a Ben McLemore career. That would be quite good (McLemore is in same category and he was actually more efficient in college).

• RipCityRings

@superstars92 said...

Re-draft today keeping the same teams? Btw, Bagley has like a sample size of 1 game lol in your example of 14/10 and 37.5%. Wait until he comes back. Ayton also has a 1 game sample size since he got busted for PEDs…

I guess SAC wouldn’t draft Trae with Fox (my list was just prospect list not a fit list, Trae would be the 2nd prospect but obviously wouldn’t go 2nd), so I guess they do need a C. I’m not positive who they draft exactly in that case. Maybe Ayton you are right.

Ayton hasn’t been as impressive as I thought. His defense is the issue. Maybe he got better but he hasn’t played this year so I’m not sure. Last year he averaged like 1 combined block + steal and he had terrible defensive rating and the Suns were terrible as a team on defense.

Bagley also was terrible at defense last year, so not sure.

I personally like JJJ because of his defense, but he can’t stay out of foul trouble.

Okay true about the one game, let me update that for this year: 15/8 on 50% shooting. Still notably worse than Ayton.

JJJ is another story, but it’s hard to value his defense that much when it tends to result in 5 fouls in 20 minutes. A player who can’t stay on the court is not a valuable asset offensively or defensively. I do think he’ll figure that out eventually and round in to a quality PF, but I can’t imagine taking him over anyone else on that initial list.

• PujolsJunkie

One lineup on FD. 375 with Jamal Murray. Had Simons and Barton over Murray and Troy Brown at one point but didn’t want to leave $1100 on the table. Knew as I was doing it I shouldn’t care about that. No big deal, only a $100,000 mistake.

• superstars92

@captainwacky said...

I agree ayton’s ceiling is very high relative to all the other dudes in that class sans Luka. Like I said, I’m not down on him or anything. But he does have lot of development on both ends before that becomes anything.

JJJ has just of high a ceiling though, if not higher. JJJ can already shoot the 3 and play defense. Ayton is way stronger, but low post play is becoming obsolete. Even the best one in the NBA in Andre Drummond is having trouble winning games for his team. If this was the 90s where Shaq was huge, I would love Ayton but in this modern game, everything has changed. I would love another Shaq that would be awesome, but no team tries to build like that anymore. Even Embiid and Jokic can shoot 3s.

People forget how crazy good JJJ is because of his foul issues. He’s only 20 years old and he shot 50/35/76 last year and 45/37/80 this year on a ton of 3s.

Robinson might have just as high of a ceiling. Robinson has a legit stroke which give 2-3 years can turn into some 3s. That’s why I hate the Knicks for screwing him over. Not only did they sign all those bigs, but they don’t even play Robinson to develop him.

Now Ayton also can shoot it too, but I’m not sure he’ll ever shoot it as well as JJJ.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).