7:00 PM EST : Washington ( -8.5 ) at Philadelphia ( 8.5 ) —- T: 214.5
    7:00 PM EST : Charlotte ( 3 ) at Indiana ( -3 ) —- T: 203.5
    7:30 PM EST : Cleveland ( -1.5 ) at Toronto ( 1.5 ) —- T: 208
    7:30 PM EST : Orlando ( 1.5 ) at New York ( -1.5 ) —- T: 206.5
    8:00 PM EST : Chicago ( 0 ) at Atlanta ( 0 ) —- T: —
    8:30 PM EST : Denver ( 5 ) at Dallas ( -5 ) —- T: 208.5
    10:00 PM EST : LA Clippers ( -2.5 ) at Sacramento ( 2.5 ) —- T: 219
    10:30 PM EST : Memphis ( -4.5 ) at LA Lakers ( 4.5 ) —- T: 209

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – NBA strategy talk for today’s games. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted. Please make it a point to say if you’re talking about Cash or GPP options

• goblue84

@TommyWantWingy33 said...

Anyone on the Atlanta bigs? Seems to me the bulls played decent D on a big I recently played….

Much the opposite; Gasol loves to play ole! Defense. Horford put up 66 against the Bulls back in January.

• flyguy1609

i like how dk you can swap a guy out after tip off(thanks Rose) but I find fd easier to use… is anyone else building a team together and have a lot of money left over, I did my team and have almost 2k left over(fd) I used the rotogrinders research and found it helpful

• Bellest

@gillio said...

Man cash games are boring but hey I gotta build my $2 into something more to actually do tourneys. Right strategy?

I try to follow the 80/20 rule: 80% of my bankroll is cash games (all 50/50s), 20% GPPs (all single entry).
    I’ll never get to hold up one of those huge cardboard checks with this system, but it supplements my income nicely.

• TommyWantWingy33

@jon2anderson said...

I’m a new player, started around Christmas time. I had some early success but recently I’ve been learning my lessons and paying for them, however I can’t stay away.

The two biggest lessons I’ve learned is to focus solely on point per dollar, not on total points. A 25 from Dion Waiters is so much more valuable than a 45 from Westbrook. I’ve got that mentality down.

The second lesson I’ve learned is that real key to winning anything is being able to find one or two 4K-5K guys that can hit 6 or more times their value.

So I focused on that yesterday, and my favorite picks to do that were Steven Adams, Enes Kanter, Shelvin Mack, and Harrison Barnes. None of them hit even 5X value. Anybody see anything wrong with those picks, besides the limited upside? Adams and Kanter seemed to so safe to me…

And let’s talk about who some of the 4-5K guys on DK that will hit 5X+ tonight will be. Early on I’m looking JaMychal Green, DeAngelo Russell, and Langston Galloway. What do you think?

I have been struggling roster ing at least 1 dud per night. I think you gotta change your mind set a little. Sure all those guys COULD hit 5x, I think you gotta find guys who are a little more of a sure thing. Good bets to hit 6x with upside of 8-10x are good to look for. That said I have the same problem I rostered mack last night too. I like to browse game logs to get a good idea of a realistic floor for my punts against similar type teams.

• Philito12

Took Sloan and Price last, opened me up to some nice cash!

• bucherpsu08

Definitely a night to target some Grizzlies. Their implied total is a lot higher than their season average. Stacking Conley, Barnes and ZBo seems like a good strategy.

• NRAnderson

Kanter is not a cash play in my opinion. DeAngelo Russell should hit value in $ more often than not and provides upside. Green is splitting time with Wright and I would rather have Brandon Wright at a cheaper price.

• migarvin99

Thanks guys. I think im going to try fanduel. Already have an account setup, have tried the freeroll a few times as practice and the bonus match is right around what i’m willing to spend. Had a nice run on Yahoo won my first, albeit small, GPP several days ago but i think it’s time to join the big boys. Hate not having a bonus and breaking even and not getting those extra few bucks that i was accustomed to.

Also, the flipside of the fanduel lock. I think this guys said it best. There are some plusses:

@tprokopenko said…

“I loathe late swap with a passion, but I have no problem with DK offering it, as I understand that some people do like it. It just prevents me from playing there very often.
    There are many reasons why I prefer no late swap, some of which are: – player owned percentages and full team views available immediately – no worrying about following late/surprise news after lock – risk/reward for taking or fading ‘questionable’ players – not having to second guess myself by tinkering with my rosters after the games start”

And I agree with him – I’ll never forget my senior year in college i lost my fantasy league to one of my friends because i was chilling with my gf at the time and Yao Ming went off for the first time (this was his rookie year i believe). And my buddy picked him up while he was still playing in that said game and i was grabbing some boobies so didn’t have the chance.

That is my late swap analogy. Even last night had to go out to dinner with the girl so couldn’t spend as much time (missed Chandler starting over Len, but Len playing, Mirza 25% owned wtf didn’t have him at all with Len and Chandler back, Bogdonavic news, Price and Oladipo starting, etc). Im sure ill get burned by the lock sometimes, but there will also be times that i will benefit unknowingly to a guy I don’t have being out. So will go for it.

Thanks guys! Good luck! See you on fanduel…

• clrockny24

I usually don’t play anyone on OKC. The offense goes through Durant and westbrook, and they are a little expensive for me. I consider Ibaka sometimes, but no one else really. same thing to me with GSW and barnes. I think i also played mack, I was hesitant, but research told me a starting PG for that price might be worth it. Knew it was probably a bad play though.

I’m not very good at finding value plays.

• biged263835

@jon2anderson said...

I’m a new player, started around Christmas time. I had some early success but recently I’ve been learning my lessons and paying for them, however I can’t stay away.

The two biggest lessons I’ve learned is to focus solely on point per dollar, not on total points. A 25 from Dion Waiters is so much more valuable than a 45 from Westbrook. I’ve got that mentality down.

The second lesson I’ve learned is that real key to winning anything is being able to find one or two 4K-5K guys that can hit 6 or more times their value.

So I focused on that yesterday, and my favorite picks to do that were Steven Adams, Enes Kanter, Shelvin Mack, and Harrison Barnes. None of them hit even 5X value. Anybody see anything wrong with those picks, besides the limited upside? Adams and Kanter seemed to so safe to me…

And let’s talk about who some of the 4-5K guys on DK that will hit 5X+ tonight will be. Early on I’m looking JaMychal Green, DeAngelo Russell, and Langston Galloway. What do you think?

My advice is its not just about finding value at 6x but finding the right position to play it at. If you are looking at a slate and there is a huge outlier that is projected to out score the others at that position significantly , it’s usually a good idea to play them. The example from last night is SG. Harden averages 65 fantasy points per game this season vs Portland. The rest of the SG field was littered with overpriced/ poor matchup SGs and then a few good values. SG is one of the lower scoring positions so if you can work in a 70 point upside player in the weakest position, you plug in and find value elsewhere

• Wrightime

@superbuckwild said...

Everybody is in the same boat though, it makes for an even playing field. If you look at his percentage ownership last game, it was close to 20 percent in some tournaments. On the other hand, if you don’t have the entire night to check injury reports or don’t have inside scoops, on draft king those that do have a competitive advantage and you build your lineup around a player for a reason so while a late swap is better than scoring a zero, if you didn’t have the guy your swapping in your lineup to begin with there is a good chance you were not crazy about him to begin with so it probably wont change things to a big tournament takedown. In cash games I kind of see the benefit, but again, you have to be on top of the injuries all night as opposed to worrying only until lock time, and some of us, me included, are not able to do that. It is actually one of the main reasons I ONLY play FD. I have been burned more than a few times because of after lock scratches, but so have my opponents so I think it evens out at the end. I just make sure I don’t overexpose myself to players known to be made out of glass.

On to tonight’s games… For FD tournament options…

Hornets vs Pacers: Really like Courtney Lee as a Punt option against Monta Ellis and don’t mind Paul George as a tournament guy with upside, just beware of the fact that he is capable of throwing up a dud. Turner and Ian up front for Indiana I think are safe bets to return value but I don’t think they have much upside.

Wizards vs 76ers: I am worried that this will be a blowout. The only guys I will expose myself to are Markieff Morris as he can potentially have a good game with new team at any moment and why not against 76ers and I think Gortat should be a safe bet to return value at his price even if its a blowout.

Orlando vs Knicks: I love Melo in this one. He has been playing good and Magic recently been poor at guarding the sf position. If dipo plays I love Dipo and I think Fournier is a lock to get 30 plus against the knicks with the kind of minutes he gets.

Raps vs Cleveland: I think all 3 of the big players on Cleveland are in play against the Raptors. I kind of like them in the reverse order of the order I typically like them, Love, Irving, Lebron. Not crazy about any Raptors. Lowry is consistent but I think you can get almost same production in a close game from Irving for much cheaper, but a little riskier obviously.

Bulls vs Atlanta: I love Moore as a cheap option whether Rose plays or not and I like Gasol. I think Milsap is a great option, but be careful because if Rose sits there is a chance that Atlanta can beat them bad and Milsap doesn’t play full minutes. I like Teague also but am worried for same reason.

Denver vs Dallas: This feels like a game I want to avoid, but I may play Pachulia.

Clips vs Kings: I love Chris Paul obviously, but I am a little worried to play him against garbage teams in late games because of the recent news from coach that he has to find time to give him rest whether he likes it or not. Of course we all hope that we will know in advance when this happens, but it’s in the back of my mind in times like this when the opponent is weak and it’s after lineup lock on FD. I really like Jeff Green in an uptempo match against Kings and am all over Crawford in this one. I think Cousins will have a great game as well, but I worry that a guy like Jordan will get under his skin and potential for a blow up from him.

Memphis: All over conley like most will be, probably means he has a crap game. Like Barnes as well, but in the past I have noticed he doesn’t tend to pull too many good games in a row so be careful not to overexpose. Tony Allen might be back for this one, so don’t put too much into the Lakers’ totals from last game, as they might see a slight decrease.

Melo was terrible last game

• ElSlappo

@biged263835 said...

My advice is its not just about finding value at 6x but finding the right position to play it at. If you are looking at a slate and there is a huge outlier that is projected to out score the others at that position significantly , it’s usually a good idea to play them. The example from last night is SG. Harden averages 65 fantasy points per game this season vs Portland. The rest of the SG field was littered with overpriced/ poor matchup SGs and then a few good values. SG is one of the lower scoring positions so if you can work in a 70 point upside player in the weakest position, you plug in and find value elsewhere

This is great advice, wish I had followed it more last night!

• gillio

Jokic too risky for cash games? His point per minute is ridiculous

• jmikeisawinner

just looked at the winning positions for swat someone cashed $50 with a 4.6 from kyle anderson and a 14 from gerald henderson

• deactivated70770

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #84

RG Tiered Ranking

@BphillzMSU said...

Going to try a new approach. Lineup is set. No tweaking but will be following injury reports.

I say this all the time. Have tried both ways. At the end of the day luck has to be on your side. If you have one guy not hit value kiss your lineup good night.

• jon2anderson

• Blogger of the Month

@biged263835 said...

to me this means that I’ll be playing Harden 90% of the time when he’s on the slate?

• Brandon684

David Lee is my GPP dark horse tonight

• deactivated70770

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #84

RG Tiered Ranking

@TommyWantWingy33 said...

I have been struggling roster ing at least 1 dud per night. I think you gotta change your mind set a little. Sure all those guys COULD hit 5x, I think you gotta find guys who are a little more of a sure thing. Good bets to hit 6x with upside of 8-10x are good to look for. That said I have the same problem I rostered mack last night too. I like to browse game logs to get a good idea of a realistic floor for my punts against similar type teams.

Lately, like last night with my 305 total on DK GPP, 5x doesn’t cut it either. It is just so hard to pick the right players anymore and still cash if you miss one hitting massive value. I mean I had Curry, Tele, Young and everyone but one player hit 5x. Still min cashed basically.

• clrockny24

I wonder if it’s a bad thing to do so much research. I haven’t won in days…

• TommyWantWingy33

@slpanthers24 said...

Lately, like last night with my 305 total on DK GPP, 5x doesn’t cut it either. It is just so hard to pick the right players anymore and still cash if you miss one hitting massive value. I mean I had Curry, Tele, Young and everyone but one player hit 5x. Still min cashed basically.

Right. The DFS field of players seems to be as good as I have seen. But like they say fish and NFL guys are gone after the break. Tough competition….bring it on I guess.

• onepinrodney

@jon2anderson said...

So I focused on that yesterday, and my favorite picks to do that were Steven Adams, Enes Kanter, Shelvin Mack, and Harrison Barnes. None of them hit even 5X value. Anybody see anything wrong with those picks, besides the limited upside

One thing I try to do when picking low dollar players is look for them in high scoring games. In the case of Mack the Spurs and Jazz are the two lowest scoring teams in the league. Faster pace means players touch the ball more, more opportunity for fpts. The Jazz scored 78 pts last night, best to just avoid, even the stars.

For example a low $$ player I would target tonight is Darren Collison. The projected pt total of that game is 219, the highest of the slate, he gets steady minutes, and the ball will be flying all over the court. There surely are even better, cheaper punts out there, but this is the way to go about it IMO.

• gillio

@clrockny24 said...

I wonder if it’s a bad thing to do so much research. I haven’t won in days…

Same.. Today just threw together I lineup entered it into two cash games and I’m not touching it unless there’s an injury

• gillio

Maybe balanced approach is the way to go for cash games. Draft people you know all could get 35 or a little more and then you’re at 280 and that should be enough to cash

• biged263835

@jon2anderson said...

to me this means that I’ll be playing Harden 90% of the time when he’s on the slate?

On a 6 games slate vs a team in which he averages 37/8/8 and 3 steals, probably a good idea. Other nights however, there are definitely other shooting guards with 40+ upside in the 7-8k range, but there wasn’t last night with the match ups. When the spread is that pronounced in a position for the night, I stop talking myself out of the obvious, plug in and go elsewhere for value

• jon2anderson

• Blogger of the Month

does anybody else love every second of researching and lineup building but then hate actually watching the games? I’m always hyped when I can watch my players but then by the 2nd quarter I’m too anxious to enjoy watching. Maybe it would be different if my players ever did well.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week. Our goal is to help all of our members make more money playing daily fantasy sports!

Bet with your head, not over it!
Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-Gambler