• Lead Moderator

• Blogger of the Month

7:00 PM EST : Detroit ( 12 ) at Philadelphia ( -12 ) —- T: —
    7:30 PM EST : New York ( 4.5 ) at Atlanta ( -4.5 ) —- T: 230
    7:30 PM EST : Charlotte ( 9.5 ) at Miami ( -9.5 ) —- T: —
    8:00 PM EST : Utah ( 2 ) at Oklahoma City ( -2 ) —- T: —
    8:00 PM EST : Denver ( 1.5 ) at Dallas ( -1.5 ) —- T: —
    10:30 PM EST : New Orleans ( -2 ) at Sacramento ( 2 ) —- T: 235

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – NBA strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterday’s games will be moved to yesterday’s NBA thread. Any off topic posts, troll posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted. While the use of GIF’s are acceptable, content must be posted along with them.

• telestraightshooter

@frugal said...

Just seems bizarre that so many other countries have been able to implement socialized medicine

This ChiComSARS2 pandemic is more a Healthcare system crisis than a healthcare crisis.
    The system can be categorized on the national level, availability and quality.

The Libertarian side of me is all for treating health care like car care.
    Of course, if companies provided employees car insurance, it would all be FUBAR up.

• elmore0631

Are we going to get NBA Esports> happened to come across schedule and says games start tomorrow.

• frugal

@telestraightshooter said...

This ChiComSARS2 pandemic is more a Healthcare system crisis than a healthcare crisis.

Of course, if companies provided employees car insurance, it would all be FUBAR up.

I always laugh when libertarians try to make comparisons like this as it really illustrates how Utopian they are. I don’t want to get too deep here so I’ll just leave it at this: the worst case with a garage is you lose a car vs the worst case with a hospital is you lose your life.

• gaelicgirl

@frugal said...

The greater point is with essentially a world of systems to study, you’d think with our “American ingenuity” we’d be able to construct the best program using the best working ideas from all existing systems.

Yes, and by the same token figure out which ones to avoid. I think we can agree that Obamacare was a massive failure because people are paying more money for less coverage, there are fewer insurance choices, and there are still tons of uninsured people because it’s too expensive for many middle-class people to afford.

• frugal

@gaelicgirl said...

Yes, and by the same token figure out which ones to avoid. I think we can agree that Obamacare was a massive failure because people are paying more money for less coverage, there are fewer insurance choices, and there are still tons of uninsured people because it’s too expensive for many middle-class people to afford.

Absolutely. Complete and total failure with the small exception of a percentage of the population which was completely uninsured previously, though their coverage has got to be pitiful.

• Awon1

Ok so here’s my take on policies. It might be a bit controversial so bear with me. First I love the US and I wouldn’t live in another country. However, there is one issue in the US that’s not being addressed and that’s income inequality.

I’ve read many papers (such as https://www.nber.org/papers/w19843.pdf) as part of my studies – look up Raj Chetty inequality, and the main issue is currently the probability a person moves up one step in the socioeconomic ladder is lower than it ever was in the last 60 years. This means the income inequality is widening in the US, and it affects both Democrats and Republicans. It affects all of us since I’m assuming none of us are upper class.

This has all to do with policies. Every policy from both parties ends up benefiting the rich in the long run. Although politicians want to brag about how much Americans are making and the low unemployment (prior to this), the issue is if a low income individual makes 50 more dollars per month and a high net worth individual makes 100,000 more dollars per month due to say the tax cut, although everyone makes more, the low income individual who makes only 50 more now would have to pay more for rent, food, and other factors due to inflation and competition. Thus, although we all become rich, the rich get even richer, punishing the poor in a relative sense and opening the income gap.

It would be the same as saying we extend NBA games from 48 minutes to 55 minutes. In this case, all players as an average group will see a bump in their statistics, but stars would see a much bigger bump in a relative sense. Thus if you look at the normalization rate, say in DK prices, you wouldn’t see everyone’s DK price increase even if we extend it to 55 minutes. It’s because the overall DK salary cap is still 50k, and in a relative sense compared to your peers, you might have actually seen a decrease even with more minutes (you put up +1 more PPG but the league average increase was +3 PPG).

It’s hard to explain exactly but basically the income gap is a better measure of wealth distribution than the overall income of everyone combined.

Unfortunately almost every policy the US has done in the last 60 years has widened this gap, from both parties, and this doesn’t look like it’ll be corrected.

That’s a great failure of the last 60 years and it doesn’t look like it’ll get better. Whether you are the poor person who lost your job to China and voted for Trump or the poor person who can’t provide for health insurance and voted for Obama, it doesn’t matter as you are screwed either way. There needs to be a new party that represents poor people, but that won’t happen since poor people themselves are already split between the two parties.

• mbunner23

@superstars92 said...

@jcrebs and others: the main issue with bringing manufacturing jobs back to the USA is most companies don’t want to do it.

Most companies want to maximize profit (which is what capitalism is), so to do that, they hire cheaper labor overseas whose countries have less labor rights, and thus those companies minimize their costs but maximize the hours their workers work. It’s a huge win for those individual companies. I know people want to complain about human rights with Apple or Nike labor in China, but the thing is, in China, those workers are actually willing to work those hours for less pay, and there’s less laws, so that’s why Apple, Nike, and other companies do what they do. It’s just a consequence of capitalism.

To bring it back to the USA, what needs to happen is the government has to punish these companies with heavy tariffs, which is actually what Trump did, on the supplies and materials being shipped from China. The other way is for China to change labor laws, but USA has no say in that. However, the problem with this is it’s actually anti-capitalist to impose tariffs (Ironically Democrats like tariffs more than Republicans). Thus, those companies are hurt, and since those companies are where the political money and influence is, it’s hard for Trump to keep imposing that forever. Furthermore, hurting those companies hurts his stock market, to complicate matters.

Another way you can technically bring jobs back to the US is to lower the minimum wage and increase the required hours a worker has to work (like China). This would incentivize companies to then hire more US workers. However, that will not be possible in the US under current laws since there would be an uproar.

Thus, it’s actually almost impossible for manufacturing jobs to come back to the US. They can force them to move from like China to Vietnam for example, but much harder from China to the USA.

Howard Is a great scorer, I’m sure he’ll be a solid second round draft pick. On the right team I could see the Lou Will comparisons eventually, but other than scoring he doesn’t really contribute anywhere else. He’s also pretty small which may limit his scoring upside in the NBA.

• marker0357

so now we have dumb ass media calling on not airing the news briefings live. what a load of crap. no thanks, i prefer to hear for myself and decide what i agree with and how to interpret the information. I really don’t need for someone to listen for me, interpret the information, and only share what they want. That is censorship, pure and simple.

I prefer to watch various news outlets which show their own prejudice. I just figure that, between the lot of them, I can separate the BS myself and focus on the data, ignoring the political spin. Neither side is purely right and it would be great to get just the facts. That just won’t happen so think for yourself.

• tmarohl

My company provides my car, and car insurance.

• tmarohl

@marker0357 said...

so now we have dumb ass media calling on not airing the news briefings live. what a load of crap. no thanks, i prefer to hear for myself and decide what i agree with and how to interpret the information. I really don’t need for someone to listen for me, interpret the information, and only share what they want. That is censorship, pure and simple.

I prefer to watch various news outlets which show their own prejudice. I just figure that, between the lot of them, I can separate the BS myself and focus on the data, ignoring the political spin. Neither side is purely right and it would be great to get just the facts. That just won’t happen so think for yourself.

They are not covering the news conference anymore, because they feel they are giving too much time to Trump.

• telestraightshooter

@tmarohl said...

They are not covering the news conference anymore, because they feel they are giving too much time to Trump.

Good thing we have YouTube – who needs Networks or cableNews anyway?

• frugal

@tmarohl said...

I would love a return of the Fairness-Doctrine applied to 24 hour news channels, but it’s impossible.

• marker0357

@tmarohl said...

That is really pathetic. We don’t like what you say so we’re not going to cover the most important news. If Trump did not speak on this subject, people would question his lack of involvement. I couldn’t care less about politics but this is just wrong.

I just watched several different reporters clearly say (no spin added) that they would like to hear the update themselves and then pass along pertinent information. Their excuse is the lack of truth being presented. So that means that their interpretation is better. Please…

The media calling for this has lost touch with reality and forgotten what those before them struggled to achieve. Shame on them and shame on the networks for supporting this behavior.

• joephoto

@marker0357 said...

hear the update themselves and then pass along pertinent information. Their excuse is the lack of truth being presented. So that means that their interpretation is better. Please…

The media calling for this has lost touch with reality and forgotten what those before them struggled to achieve. Shame on them and shame on the networks for supporting this behavior.

It’s terrible. What I really miss here is reading the Boston Globe. It was informative.
    Now they only have reporters who will bash the president every single day, in every single article. Then they endorse one of the biggest lying phonies in the country- Elizabeth Warren for Pres.

The picture you see of me is when I was twelve. I learned about the world reading the Boston Globe as I walked my 5 miles doing my paper route every day.
    Can’t read it now. And twelve yr olds don’t learn either.

• telestraightshooter

@marker0357 said...

So that means that their interpretation is better. Please…

Remember – The difference be tween you and an “Expert” on TV is…..
    … the “Expert” is on TV….
    …………….. & Your Not!

• gaelicgirl

@marker0357 said...

Which news outlets are refusing to air the briefings live? This is the first I’ve heard of it. If they’re saying “we’ll watch them for you and let you know if anything important was said” because they’re afraid too many viewers will be duped by all the lies, aren’t they really insulting the intelligence of their viewers?

• telestraightshooter

@frugal said...

I would love a return of the Fairness-Doctrine applied to 24 hour news channels, but it’s impossible.

Sounds good, but like most Laws, the “Fairness doctrine” was used to limit competition.

“Fairness Doctrine” never applied to Print Media, but to Broadcasters regulated by FCC.
    Print Media loved the “Fairness Doctrine” because it gave them a sort of monopoly when it moved most editorializing out of broadcasting …
    …. unless your Far Leftist Walter Cronkite & you can hide your editorializing in plain sight in your news reports.

• telestraightshooter

@gaelicgirl said...

they’re afraid too many viewers will be duped by all the lies, aren’t they really insulting the intelligence of their viewers?

true.

but that’s my interpretation of how those “snarky reporters” @ CNN feel about their viewers.

• When one’s world view is the common man cannot take care of themselves, they need shepherding by big government…. I understand why CNN is insulted by their estimation of the intelligence of their viewers.

(Alex Jones should really work for CNN, that would be a hoot!)

• frugal

Sounds good, but like most Laws, the “Fairness doctrine” was used to limit competition.

“Fairness Doctrine” never applied to Print Media, but to Broadcasters regulated by FCC.
    Print Media loved the “Fairness Doctrine” because it gave them a sort of monopoly when it moved most editorializing out of broadcasting …
    …. unless your Far Leftist Walter Cronkite & you can hide your editorializing in plain sight in your news reports.

Cable isn’t regulated by FCC anyway, so doesn’t matter. But removing editorializing from news would be the exact goal.

• captainwacky

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #94

RG Tiered Ranking

@marker0357 said...

The President has basically been giving the exact wrong information about the threat, reality, and proper response to the virus. Lots of people blindly listen to the president of the United States because they don’t have your capacity to discern (and/or are brainwashed in the case of this president). If someone that influential is confidently perpetrating misinformation, not allowing him to address this matter publicly is almost necessary.

https://therecount.com/watch/trump-coronavirus-calendar/2645515793

• marker0357

@captainwacky said...

The President has basically been giving the exact wrong information about the threat, reality, and proper response to the virus. Lots of people blindly listen to the president of the United States because they don’t have your capacity to discern (and/or are brainwashed in the case of this president). If someone that influential is confidently perpetrating misinformation, not allowing him to address this matter publicly is almost necessary.

https://therecount.com/watch/trump-coronavirus-calendar/2645515793

absolutely disagree, Captain. That nonsense can be practiced in other countries, not here. I refuse to believe that people are too stupid to listen for themselves and make the right judgment.

• frugal

@marker0357 said...

absolutely disagree, Captain. That nonsense can be practiced in other countries, not here. I refuse to believe that people are too stupid to listen for themselves and make the right judgment.

IMHO, the very fact that a great, great many listen to partisan talking heads on both sides believing them 100% and parroting those points in daily conversations and on forums is proof that a large population, a potential majority, believes whatever they hear.

• marker0357

@gaelicgirl said...

Which news outlets are refusing to air the briefings live? This is the first I’ve heard of it. If they’re saying “we’ll watch them for you and let you know if anything important was said” because they’re afraid too many viewers will be duped by all the lies, aren’t they really insulting the intelligence of their viewers?

Don Lemon of CNN, for one. There’s been at least 3 or 4 others but I don’t really know their names or affiliation.

• captainwacky

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #94

RG Tiered Ranking

@marker0357 said...

In general, I agree with you, when the decisions aren’t linear in a time of crisis. This is literally killing people via misinformation, bad decision making, and allowing people to believe this is not as serious as it is. If the president had gotten on TV two months ago and said “everyone stay home, this is a serious crisis,” we would be in a much better place. Instead, the exact opposite has happened at every opportunity he’s gotten to address this.

• telestraightshooter

@frugal said...

Cable isn’t regulated by FCC anyway, so doesn’t matter.

My dissent with your opinion is that it is… to a degree.
    https://www.fcc.gov/general/cable-television

News has always included editorializing, It’s just that for years the masses were fooled into thinking it wasn’t.
    editorializing can never be eradicated from “Just the News”,
    for starters, who decides what’s news?

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week. Our goal is to help all of our members make more money playing daily fantasy sports!

Bet with your head, not over it!
Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-Gambler