8:00 PM EST : New York ( 11 ) at Milwaukee ( -11 ) — T: 223.5
    8:00 PM EST : Minnesota ( 8 ) at New Orleans ( -8 ) — T: 238.5
    8:00 PM EST : Philadelphia ( 4 ) at Chicago ( -4 ) — T: 227.5
    8:00 PM EST : Orlando ( 8 ) at Miami ( -8 ) — T: 213
    9:00 PM EST : Dallas ( -5.5 ) at Oklahoma City ( 5.5 ) — T: 218.5
    10:00 PM EST : Golden State ( 7 ) at LA Clippers ( -7 ) — T: 230.5
    10:00 PM EST : Phoenix ( -4.5 ) at Portland ( 4.5 ) — T: 227
    10:00 PM EST : Houston ( 4.5 ) at Sacramento ( -4.5 ) — T: 228.5

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – NBA strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterday’s games will be moved to yesterday’s NBA thread. Any off topic posts, troll posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted. While the use of GIF’s are acceptable, content must be posted along with them.

• tigerblu

Hey All,

I am pretty new DFS and I have been reading up nonstop for the last few weeks on how to approach GPP tourneys. In my research thus far, I have been seeing the main ideas to look at when putting together a lineup.

– Team’s Defensive efficiency
    – Team’s pace
    – Defense vs. position
    – Upside and variance
    – Elite players

I have a few questions for anyone willing to send a little help my way on understanding this hard game.

1. Is it bad to leave salary cap money on the table when selecting a lineup? Do people that consistently do well in these GPPs usually leave more than say $500 in cap money?

2. What is the best way to look at this ownership %? Should I focus on selecting lower salary players that have low ownership/great upside or should I focus on selecting high salary players that have lower ownership?

3. Does a winning lineup usually have one top 5 salary player? or is it better to find value by selecting players in the mid-high salary range with lesser ownership that the top-tier players?

Any helps on this is very much appreciated!

• nstrachan2

One general rule of thumb for GPPs (on DK) is you want a player to earn at least 6x their listed salary. Ex. PLAYER X is $6000, in order to hit GPP value you would want 36 Fpts from him. Total salary being $50000 × 6.0 = 300Fpts. 300 is the standard threshhold for a successful GPP lineup. Some nights 300 will be weak, others very strong but most often it’s cashable.

• superjon

No idea why FD raised Klay’s price.

Is he coming back soon?

• jayzee666

I predict a blizzard of snowflakes in Sacramento tonight. Take all the under props, total, etc. This is a hammer best left in the toolbox!

• fleishmo6

Tobias and Dwight Howard, Sixers chalk for me on FD

• antzilla810

@fleishmo6 said...

Also

• Pierce85

100% Olynyk

• fleishmo6

actually have all three in my first LU @antzilla810

• miggs6876

@fleishmo6 said...

Harris is a steal at 6.9k. Kelly O should get some nice run at 4.5k with Bam out. Keep an eye on if Precious gets the start.

Lowry, Powell, and Boucher will get all the min they can handle.

PG has some really nice options including punts like Elf and Rubio (yuck). I’m a big Wall fan. Tree is cheap at 8.8k.

To Harden or not. ABC in potential blowout? Zion is a machine, Jimmy Buckets in a great spot. Bogdon at salary min is hard to pass up.

Haliburton takes some points away from Buddy and Fox.

Graham return may chip away at some Hornets production. I’m fading Melo.

Dallas in back to back. No Luka or Zinger for me.

Olidipo might get 10 steals tonight.

• feekdogg

These are my favorite days, cashing in a ticket for the $222 on FD. It’ll be lots of chalk, just need to find the right pivots elsewhere.

• theIrrigator

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #31

RG Tiered Ranking

Can we make it officially official. Carmelo is Melo and LaMelo is anything else

• gaelicgirl

@superjon said...

No idea why FD raised Klay’s price.

Is he coming back soon?

No.

• gaelicgirl

@theIrrigator said...

Yes.

• Pandamonious

• 2019 Blogger of the Month

@theIrrigator said...

Yes.

LaMelo is officially from now on to be known as LamBall or Ball 2 or just LaMelo. Anything, but Melo. I encourage people to come up with a good creative nickname for him on this thread as well.

• theIrrigator

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #31

RG Tiered Ranking

@Pandamonious said...

Yes.

LaMelo is officially from now on to be known as LamBall or Ball 2 or just LaMelo. Anything, but Melo. I encourage people to come up with a good creative nickname for him on this thread as well.

LaBall for Lamelo and LoBall for Lonzo. Lol. What’s the 3rd brothers name?

• Pandamonious

@tigerblu said...

Hey All,

I am pretty new DFS and I have been reading up nonstop for the last few weeks on how to approach GPP tourneys. In my research thus far, I have been seeing the main ideas to look at when putting together a lineup.

– Team’s pace
    – Defense vs. position
    – Upside and variance
    – Elite players

I have a few questions for anyone willing to send a little help my way on understanding this hard game.

1. Is it bad to leave salary cap money on the table when selecting a lineup? Do people that consistently do well in these GPPs usually leave more than say $500 in cap money?

2. What is the best way to look at this ownership %? Should I focus on selecting lower salary players that have low ownership/great upside or should I focus on selecting high salary players that have lower ownership?

3. Does a winning lineup usually have one top 5 salary player? or is it better to find value by selecting players in the mid-high salary range with lesser ownership that the top-tier players?

Welcome tigerblu,

First of all it’s great to hear and see new people still getting into DFS.

I think one thing missing from your list of things to look for is leverage and taking the path less traveled. This becomes more important the bigger the contest you play is. You don’t have to beat 50K+ entries if you’re not playing the same way as the majority of those 50K+ entries.

Anyway, I could write a lot longer about your questions, but I’ll make it a bit simpler.

1) No, it’s not bad to leave salary. There’s no right or wrong amount. Cheaper players outscore more expensive players all the time. Leaving as much as $1,000 is probably pretty dicey, but as much as $700 is doable. Every slate is different, and much, much more often than not the “optimal” line up is within $300 of the salary cap, but sometimes there’s $600 or $700 left on the table.

2) I don’t think it makes much of a difference. You’re building a roster not picking players. I suppose I see an argument for having that 1% owned 3.5K player that balls out for 30 fantasy points, lifting up your entire line ups floor being more important. Though having a low owned stud go off for 75 fantasy points anchoring your line up, also raises the floor of your line up substantially.

3) I would say most often, yes. Usually one of the “studs” on a slate blows up and gets 65+ and you have to have them. Going “balanced” always looks great on paper with tons of upside, because usually there’s an abundance for 6-8K players you could see getting 50+ points, but they have lower floors. It’s very difficult to nail down consistently and certainly nail an entire line up full of mid-range guys that all go off. With the volatility of any given night there’s just so much more upside in the “stars and scrubs” build.

• Pandamonious

@theIrrigator said...

LaBall for Lamelo and LoBall for Lonzo. Lol. What’s the 3rd brothers name?

LiAngelo.

LaBall, LoBall, LiBall. Unfortunately LiBall doesn’t matter. For some reason, I’m imagining them all as cartoon sheep, with LiBall being the black sheep of the family as he can’t make it in the NBA. Starring LaVar Ball as the sheep herder.

• Njsum1

@miggs6876 said...

Harris is a steal at 6.9k. Kelly O should get some nice run at 4.5k with Bam out. Keep an eye on if Precious gets the start.

Not playing FD, yet Harris at 6.9k seems pretty sweet. If Kelly O is 4.5…then fine, yet at 5.1 on DK I’m not particularly interested against Orlando.

Like the Precious call if the minutes are there. It’s Spo, so he could start, and then play like 18 minutes. My guess is that his run will depend on how he’s playing 🤷‍♂️

• fleishmo6

Thoughts on Kevin porter jr??

• Pandamonious

@fleishmo6 said...

Thoughts on Kevin porter jr??

If Eric Gordon is OUT, I’d have a lot of interest. If Gordon plays maybe a small interest on DK where he’s close to min. priced.

• fleishmo6

Thanks, could be another nice salary relief spot with some upside

• Pandamonious

@fleishmo6 said...

Thanks, could be another nice salary relief spot with some upside

Yeah, I mean he started showing upside a bit last season and has been putting up solid stats in the g-league. I’m guessing they view him as an important piece to their future moving forward, so I think they want to get him minutes. He’s been playing 36 in the g-league, so it’s not like they need to ease him in really either. Just hard to predict what he’ll get, and Wall and Dipo are still going to suck up some usage.

• fleishmo6

Definitely, they obviously are ball dominant, but I agree, he is ready to go for sure

• Brendan239

Crowder on FD? CP3 too. I’ll be heavy Steph too. How many Sixers are too many? Lavine should eat w no Simmons and Embid

• thedkexperience

@tigerblu said...

Hey All,

– Team’s pace
    – Defense vs. position
    – Upside and variance
    – Elite players

Basketball is my weakest sport but your questions are pretty general so I can help you out.

1 – Not bad at all. I mean don’t get ridiculous and try to win a GPP with 5,000 left on the table but anything under 500 is nothing and it’s often better for lineup variance to leave something on the table, even if it’s just 100. There are quite a few times a year in every sport where the pricing is off on a player for various reasons. One common one will be a player returning from injury earlier than expected so you can find an 8000 player priced at 6500 for a day or two. Anyway, just last night I took 42nd out of 1960 in the $12 single entry and I left 900 on the table.

2 – every slate is different. This is a bit of a cop out answer but there you go. The decision to go with or fade ownership percentages is an enormous one that needs to be answered by yourself every day. Commonly in cash games you want high ownership and in GPPs you want low ownership IN A FEW PLACES. I put that in all caps because having low owned players at every position is usually folly in basketball. It can work in some sports but last night it was hard to fade all of Luka, Russ and Beal. The winner in my GPP took just Luka at 61.84%. At the end of the day you have to spend your money somewhere and it’s silly to avoid all the chalk. However, to circle back, last night was a 2 game slate so tonight is a completely different story.

3 – See answer 2. This is an even more slate specific question. Every sport has days where balanced wins and where stars and scrubs win.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).