7:00 PM EST : Orlando ( ) at Detroit ( ) — T:
    7:00 PM EST : Indiana ( ) at Washington ( ) — T:
    7:30 PM EST : Golden State ( 2.5 ) at New Orleans ( -2.5 ) — T: 236
    8:00 PM EST : Portland ( 1 ) at Atlanta ( -1 ) — T: 234.5
    9:00 PM EST : NY Knicks ( 3.5 ) at Memphis ( -3.5 ) — T: 217.5
    9:00 PM EST : Philadelphia ( ) at Chicago ( ) — T:
    10:00 PM EST : San Antonio ( ) at Utah ( ) — T:
    10:00 PM EST : Denver ( ) at LA Lakers ( ) — T:

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – NBA strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterday’s games will be moved to yesterday’s NBA thread. Any off topic posts, troll posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted. While the use of GIF’s are acceptable, content must be posted along with them.

• jlowery73

2012 DDC Main Event Champion

• 2014 FAFC Finalist

• x3

2015 FACFC Finalist

@Unico10 said...

The condensed schedule certainly played a part, but what has transformed this NBA season in a never ending preseason is the play-in tournament… basically the only teams that try/need to win are the ones trying to get in or stay out of the play-in tournament… all the others are either coasting or tanking

Ok, but what’s the alternative? Seems like a handful of teams ALWAYS gives up with a month or more to go. At least the play-in tourney might keep an extra 3-4 in play, no?

I think the bigger issue is the extreme wussification of the league, and I couldn’t care less if that comment dates me….

Rest days left and right, players basically deciding when or if they want to play on a given night because they always have a list of fall back excuses to NOT do their jobs….and the teams willingly accept them!

Jalen Rose said the other day that in HIS day (just 20 years ago) players used to take pride in playing all the games on the schedule. What you now have is the complete opposite….don’t really know where the league goes from here I guess.

• dominicanpapi

@jlowery73 said...

Ok, but what’s the alternative? Seems like a handful of teams ALWAYS gives up with a month or more to go. At least the play-in tourney might keep an extra 3-4 in play, no?

I think the bigger issue is the extreme wussification of the league, and I couldn’t care less if that comment dates me….

Rest days left and right, players basically deciding when or if they want to play on a given night because they always have a list of fall back excuses to NOT do their jobs….and the teams willingly accept them!

Jalen Rose said the other day that in HIS day (just 20 years ago) players used to take pride in playing all the games on the schedule. What you now have is the complete opposite….don’t really know where the league goes from here I guess.

If the owners who pay their salaries don’t have an issue with it, why should we? I agree it’s annoying as hell when it comes to DFS, but at the end of the day, if the billionaires don’t care, I’m not gonna put any thought into it. I don’t think they’re weaker than the previous generation of players, I think they’re smarter when it comes to their health. Guys like Jalen Rose think playing with a dislocated kneecap is a badge of honor.

These guys are at the top 1% of their profession, they didn’t get to this point by being wusses, they put in the work to get here.

• Yeoman

@Unico10 said...

The condensed schedule certainly played a part, but what has transformed this NBA season in a never ending preseason is the play-in tournament… basically the only teams that try/need to win are the ones trying to get in or stay out of the play-in tournament… all the others are either coasting or tanking

If anything that’s slightly expanded the number of teams with something to play for—it’s the whole 6-11 or 12 block instead of just 8/9.

I think we got spoiled last year with the tanking teams excluded from the bubble. This year we’ve got open conversations from beat writers about whether the teams they follow will win another game—and this was with 25 games left on the schedule. Last year those squads were left at home.

The tanking’s at an entirely new level, too. I’ve watched coaches (yes, I’m talking about you, Daigneault) pull players from games when they got hot, or call timeouts to stop their own runs when they threatened to get back into a game late. I don’t remember it being quite that blatant two years ago. Are the top three picks in this year’s draft really that great?

• jlowery73

2012 DDC Main Event Champion

• 2014 FAFC Finalist

• x3

2015 FACFC Finalist

@dominicanpapi said...

If the owners who pay their salaries don’t have an issue with it, why should we? I agree it’s annoying as hell when it comes to DFS, but at the end of the day, if the billionaires don’t care, I’m not gonna put any thought into it. I don’t think they’re weaker than the previous generation of players, I think they’re smarter when it comes to their health. Guys like Jalen Rose think playing with a dislocated kneecap is a badge of honor.

These guys are at the top 1% of their profession, they didn’t get to this point by being wusses, they put in the work to get here.

Valid points. I agree a lot with the point that the owners and teams are in on it….I just feel it’s a huge reason why people care less and less about the NBA anymore. It will be interesting to see if the popularity in league continues to plummet over time. Maybe that’s not a big deal to some people, and that’s cool….but in the end DFS and gamblers might be most of all that even cares.

What I did find HILARIOUS was Lebron badmouthing the league (after all the “newsworthy” things the league could have taken a look at lately from him) about the play in tournament. Really, Lebron? Entitled much??? How about you stop losing to the Kings and Raptors in the last week…these teams couldn’t care less about winning in the past month.

• dominicanpapi

I do like teams who tank though. I admire it. Take OKC for example, they were like 5 games under .500 at one point and in that play-in scenario until they realized they aren’t going anywhere as a franchise if they keep getting picks in the 20s every year so they shut SGA and Horford down. I think they’re 2-18 in their last 20 games.

Houston lost 20 straight I think, b/c they kept being competitive and their pick is only protected in the top 4.

Some teams just need to tank to get better. It sucks for DFS purposes but it’s the right move in the long run. Detroit’s got something going on for example: Grant, Plumlee, Stewart, Bey, Hayes. I’m probably missing someone, but you add another top 5 pick to the mix and you got something.

• Yeoman

@jlowery73 said...

the teams willingly accept them

I think you’ve got this whole thing completely upside down. The teams are forcing the issue, protecting their investments. A meaningless regular season W that doesn’t even affect your playoff slot isn’t worth risking the health of an eight or nine-figure asset.

• Yeoman

@dominicanpapi said...

I do like teams who tank though. I admire it. Take OKC for example, they were like 5 games under .500 at one point and in that play-in scenario until they realized they aren’t going anywhere as a franchise if they keep getting picks in the 20s every year so they shut SGA and Horford down. I think they’re 2-18 in their last 20 games.

Houston lost 20 straight I think, b/c they kept being competitive and their pick is only protected in the top 4.

Some teams just need to tank to get better. It sucks for DFS purposes but it’s the right move in the long run. Detroit’s got something going on for example: Grant, Plumlee, Stewart, Bey, Hayes. I’m probably missing someone, but you add another top 5 pick to the mix and you got something.

The only way to stop it is to stop rewarding teams for losing.

That won’t happen, so we’re stuck with the tanking.

• gaelicgirl

@866 said...

How can G S stop Zion?

They’ll have to go juanonjuan.

• tmarohl

@gaelicgirl said...

They’ll have to go juanonjuan.

Perhaps a well placed nut kick from Dray?

• dominicanpapi

@Yeoman said...

They fixed the lottery odds recently though to curb the tanking. I think if you have the 4th worse record in the league, you can fall back down to as far as 7th or something.

• tmarohl

@Yeoman said...

Why does a team like OKC have to tank, when they own 50% of the next five years of draft picks for the entire league? Surely a few of them will end up as prime no matter what their record is.

• Brendan239

Plus Taj will at least 8x

• ifthethunder

@Yeoman said...

I think you’ve got this whole thing completely upside down. The teams are forcing the issue, protecting their investments. A meaningless regular season W that doesn’t even affect your playoff slot isn’t worth risking the health of an eight or nine-figure asset.

I think you are correct.

But it’s still a problem. Basically, the teams are saying the value of most any regular season game is tiny. But they want us chumps to pretend that isn’t true.

Other sports have many of the same issues. NHL, soccer across the pond, etc. But they don’t openly crap on their supposedly valuable fans quite like the NBA does.

Just for instance, I’ve been doing EPL (English Premier League) Ironman. They have many of the same issues…COVID problems, etc. etc. But…they do require teams to put out their starting 11 lineup one hour before the game starts. There’s zero reason the NBA couldn’t require the same. The NBA doesn’t because they don’t give a carp.

“You’ll lap up any pathetic garbage we put out. Because you’re losers.” – NBA team owners
    ~

• tmarohl

Adrian Wojnarowski
    wojespn · 18s Reporting with RamonaShelburne

Lakers star LeBron James is expected to sit out vs. Denver tonight to rest his right ankle, sources tell ESPN. James re-aggravated the ankle in the fourth quarter of Sunday’s loss to Toronto. Lakers have lost 6 of 7 games.

• billythekidcowboysheat

Caruso fits the build vs den.

Flat min, attack pg vs den.

I still don’t know on Caruso🤔

• theIrrigator

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #29

RG Tiered Ranking

Teams basically had a free pass this year with minimal fans at the games. No one is there to complain and be outraged when little Timmy doesn’t get to watch his favorite superstar play because they had to much caffeine before the game

• Brendan239

@tmarohl said...

Adrian Wojnarowski
    wojespn · 18s Reporting with RamonaShelburne

Lakers star LeBron James is expected to sit out vs. Denver tonight to rest his right ankle, sources tell ESPN. James re-aggravated the ankle in the fourth quarter of Sunday’s loss to Toronto. Lakers have lost 6 of 7 games.

Damn, I wanted to pivot from chalk Caruso to Rivers but now w James put Caruso will get about 30 minutes and 20% usage? Anyone know his usage w/O LBJ and Schroeder?

• Unico10

RG Overall Ranking

@Yeoman said...

To me it isn’t even the tanking as in losing games…. it’s the lack of shame in how they lose… I don’t remember so many games when a team is down by 50 at the half or early in the 3rd

• tmarohl

@Brendan239 said...

Damn, I wanted to pivot from chalk Caruso to Rivers but now w James put Caruso will get about 30 minutes and 20% usage? Anyone know his usage w/O LBJ and Schroeder?

He didn’t do much last night when he started. Don’t know why on FD you would have any interest in Caruso or Rivers.
    Caruso has a season high of 27 fantasy points and he has been getting usage in the low to mid 20 minute range 15 times this year.
    Rivers with Denver, has been getting about 26 minutes per game, and has a high of 21.2 fantasy points.
    They are both terrible plays on FD. I could make a case for Caruso on DK.

• tmarohl

@Unico10 said...

To me it isn’t even the tanking as in losing games…. it’s the lack of shame in how they lose… I don’t remember so many games when a team is down by 50 at the half or early in the 3rd

Live by the three, die by the three basically. They hot, you not, you done.

• tmarohl

@Brendan239 said...

Neither Caruso or Rivers will be chalk on FD, believe me.
    Caruso projected around 12%. Rivers projected at 0.1%

• Yeoman

@tmarohl said...

Why does a team like OKC have to tank, when they own 50% of the next five years of draft picks for the entire league? Surely a few of them will end up as prime no matter what their record is.

I’ve wondered that too. Maybe they really want Cunningham, who’s a local guy (or at least played his college ball there).

• Brendan239

Damn, 2/3 of my LUs hinge on Norm Powell now.

• Pandamonious

• 2020 Blogger of the Month

@tmarohl said...

So, you’d be OK with winning 35 games and missing the playoffs and pick 11th, because you have a bunch of random 1st round picks that will probably end up in the teens or 20’s, then just lose, still miss the playoffs and pick in the top 3?

• Yeoman

@ifthethunder said...

I think you are correct.

But it’s still a problem. Basically, the teams are saying the value of most any regular season game is tiny. But they want us chumps to pretend that isn’t true.

Other sports have many of the same issues. NHL, soccer across the pond, etc. But they don’t openly crap on their supposedly valuable fans quite like the NBA does.

Just for instance, I’ve been doing EPL (English Premier League) Ironman. They have many of the same issues…COVID problems, etc. etc. But…they do require teams to put out their starting 11 lineup one hour before the game starts. There’s zero reason the NBA couldn’t require the same. The NBA doesn’t because they don’t give a carp.

“You’ll lap up any pathetic garbage we put out. Because you’re losers.” – NBA team owners
    ~

Soccer’s completely different. You’re paid a bonus for your final position in the table; the higher you finish, the more you get. Here you finish last, you probably get the best rookie. There you finish last, you get kicked down to the minors and somebody else gets your place.

We reward losing; they reward winning. We have tanking, they don’t.

And because fans know this, and know management of their teams is trying to win, they don’t bitch about the fact that sometimes some of the stars have to rest. It’s understood you have to rotate if you want to get the most out of everyone.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).