• Lead Moderator

• Blogger of the Month

1:00 PM EST : Utah ( -1.5 ) at San Antonio ( 1.5 ) —- T: 227
    4:00 PM EST : Okla City ( -4.5 ) at Memphis ( 4.5 ) —- T: 222.5
    5:00 PM EST : Sacramento ( -4. ) at Brooklyn ( 4. ) —- T: —-
    6:30 PM EST : Orlando ( 4.5 ) at Philadelphia ( -4.5 ) —- T: —-
    8:00 PM EST : Washington ( 6 ) at New Orleans ( -6 ) —- T: —-
    9:00 PM EST : Boston ( 3 ) at Toronto ( -3 ) —- T: 218.5

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – NBA strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterday’s games will be moved to yesterday’s NBA thread. Any off topic posts, troll posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted. While the use of GIF’s are acceptable, content must be posted along with them.

• mbunner23

@jfitzgan said...

Thank u for your response and same with frugal. I see both your points and respect both your opinions. I would agree that Ben is a really good defender and is often tasked with defending the elite wing players. And he also has superior court vision along with ball handling skills. I’ll never disagree with that. I’m not sure what u mean that he has the “mental aspect” down on both sides of the floor. On offense, he seems to have a mental deficiency that of which I’ve never seen in 40+ years of playing and watching hoops. He refuses to shoot outside of 10 feet. There are crazy stats to back that up. And when he gets in the lane, he shoots strange fall away hook shots unless it’s an easy dunk or put back. I’m not sure if even he knows if he’s right or left handed. He’s never averaged more than 17 points a game. His assists and rebounds are solid as they should be from an elite athlete who until recently had the ball in his hands constantly and is often much taller than his opponent. A few years ago, Brad Stevens developed the blueprint for beating the sixers. Stand 6-8 feet off Simmons and clog the lane. Dare him to shoot. Don’t let him get momentum and blow past defenders for easy scores or assists. And he didn’t Shoot. Still doesn’t. Fast forward to the sixers/raptors series in the semis. Same thing. Think he averaged 8 shots a game. Granted he was tasked with really tough defensive assignments but Leonard still went bonkers in that series but that’s understandable cause Leonard is a “great” player. I’ve watched all his games as a sixer. I’ve seen him dominate the likes of the hawks who play no defense. But when it comes down to the playoffs, especially the 2nd round and beyond (when the coaching and defense gets way better)

He refuses to shoot because he can’t. If he shot the ball outside 10 feet when he’s aware that it’s not going to go in, that’s when you have a problem.

When I say he has the mental aspect, he has that Westbrook approach. Not friends with anybody from the other team while he’s on the court. Wants a challenge by defending guys such as (LeBron, Kawhi, ABC), he doesn’t shy away from competition.

• squidkill

@jfitzgan said...

Thank u for your response and same with frugal. I see both your points and respect both your opinions. I would agree that Ben is a really good defender and is often tasked with defending the elite wing players. And he also has superior court vision along with ball handling skills. I’ll never disagree with that. I’m not sure what u mean that he has the “mental aspect” down on both sides of the floor. On offense, he seems to have a mental deficiency that of which I’ve never seen in 40+ years of playing and watching hoops. He refuses to shoot outside of 10 feet. There are crazy stats to back that up. And when he gets in the lane, he shoots strange fall away hook shots unless it’s an easy dunk or put back. I’m not sure if even he knows if he’s right or left handed. He’s never averaged more than 17 points a game. His assists and rebounds are solid as they should be from an elite athlete who until recently had the ball in his hands constantly and is often much taller than his opponent. A few years ago, Brad Stevens developed the blueprint for beating the sixers. Stand 6-8 feet off Simmons and clog the lane. Dare him to shoot. Don’t let him get momentum and blow past defenders for easy scores or assists. And he didn’t Shoot. Still doesn’t. Fast forward to the sixers/raptors series in the semis. Same thing. Think he averaged 8 shots a game. Granted he was tasked with really tough defensive assignments but Leonard still went bonkers in that series but that’s understandable cause Leonard is a “great” player. I’ve watched all his games as a sixer. I’ve seen him dominate the likes of the hawks who play no defense. But when it comes down to the playoffs, especially the 2nd round and beyond (when the coaching and defense gets way better)

He’s like the fat oversized kid in little league. He crushes against Crappy competition, which offers little resistance, but falls on his potato vs good talent.

• emnj69

easier to build a team around ben than embid-the nba is a speed game these days -Big men are not the premium they once were
    sixers are soft-jimmy b was the glue for them in his short stint there

• emnj69

if the sixers kept jimmy b over embid they would have been a better team-if the sixers kept jimmy b over ben they would have had a better team

• zeeshan2

@frugal said...

The Rockets would be a near perfect fit if Westbrook were gone. That would allow Simmons to play point center with Harden. With Westbrook there, Simmons wouldn’t handle the ball at all and as he can not shoot the 3 he would be riding bench for that team.

Would trade westbrook for simmons easily as a rockets fan, but no way the 6ers go for it. Hell no way harden goes for it since they are besties

• jfitzgan

@mbunner23 said...

He refuses to shoot because he can’t. If he shot the ball outside 10 feet when he’s aware that it’s not going to go in, that’s when you have a problem.

When I say he has the mental aspect, he has that Westbrook approach. Not friends with anybody from the other team while he’s on the court. Wants a challenge by defending guys such as (LeBron, Kawhi, ABC), he doesn’t shy away from competition.

I agree with his toughness on defense. He doesn’t back down and I totally respect that. He gives it his all against the elite of the elite. But it always comes down to the shooting. And not the fact that he can’t make them but the fact that he doesn’t try. U played ball right? How much of an advantage is it defensively knowing “this guy will never shoot”? If I’m an average athlete and tasked with guarding a superior athlete who won’t ever shoot then my job is easy. I like ben’s toughness and all the other things we mentioned before but the object of the game is to put the ball in the hoop and he can’t do it. Maybe frugal was right with him being more effective on another team, but it’s not working in Philly. Appreciate your thoughts on the topic.

• noddy

Anyone playing the early game SD? I have like a million bucks left over in salary.

• Packapunch

@noddy said...

Anyone playing the early game SD? I have like a million bucks left over in salary.

Yes and it is a sh!t show. Everyone is out for Utah.

• mbunner23

@jfitzgan said...

I agree with his toughness on defense. He doesn’t back down and I totally respect that. He gives it his all against the elite of the elite. But it always comes down to the shooting. And not the fact that he can’t make them but the fact that he doesn’t try. U played ball right? How much of an advantage is it defensively knowing “this guy will never shoot”? If I’m an average athlete and tasked with guarding a superior athlete who won’t ever shoot then my job is easy. I like ben’s toughness and all the other things we mentioned before but the object of the game is to put the ball in the hoop and he can’t do it. Maybe frugal was right with him being more effective on another team, but it’s not working in Philly. Appreciate your thoughts on the topic.

I’m not disagreeing with you, it is an advantage as a defender when you know the guy you’re guarding can’t shoot, you can just play off of him. His shooting is a major concern, there’s no denying that, but that’s literally the only thing he can’t do on the basketball court. He’s well above average in all other phases of the game. Like someone mentioned before, I think it all comes down to Ben and Joel don’t fit well together, I imagine Ben would blow up if he played for a team such as Houston or New Orleans. Good civil debate though, appreciate the responses.

• jfitzgan

@emnj69 said...

if the sixers kept jimmy b over embid they would have been a better team-if the sixers kept jimmy b over ben they would have had a better team

I quite enjoyed jimmy b’s brief stint in philly. But do u give max $$ to a 31 year old player with a ton of mileage on his body from his days in Chicago? That was the dilemma. Wish he was still here though.

• noddy

@jfitzgan said...

I quite enjoyed jimmy b’s brief stint in philly. But do u give max $$ to a 31 year old player with a ton of mileage on his body from his days in Chicago? That was the dilemma. Wish he was still here though.

The answer is a resounding NO.

• tmarohl

@jfitzgan said...

That is precisely the reason I don’t mind Giannis jacking up four or five threes per game. Think of Simmons as a slightly smaller version of Giannis. Simmons needs to put up that shot whether he makes it or not.

• Pandamonious

• 2020 Blogger of the Month

@jfitzgan said...

No, you give a similar deal to a 34 year old Al Hoford with nagging knee injuries, who plays the same position as your star player….

Didn’t Butler decide he wasn’t resigning with Philly long before free agency started, not Philly decided they didn’t want to resign him?

• captainwacky

I’ve been away, but I’ll keep it brief because there has been good discussion around Simmons:

He’s a terrific defender. He’s 6’9” and a great passer, runs, rebounds well, finishes well. If people got it out of their brain that he’s a prototypical point guard or the next version of Lebron James, he’d be easy to assess objectively.

The dude is a crazy version of Lamar Odom, and if he ever learns to shoot he’s a top 5 player in the league.

• frugal

Back to today’s slate. Man, I wish I could guarantee minutes in the upper 20’s for Zion today.

• jwayne1976

Butler’s gonna’ fall of a cliff real soon. He’s almost Simmons-esque in his aversion to taking 3s, and that body has taken a beating. Would be an albatross for the Sixers (even moreso than Horford, which was an inexplicable signing).

• tmarohl

@captainwacky said...

I’ve been away, but I’ll keep it brief because there has been good discussion around Simmons:

He’s a terrific defender. He’s 6’9” and a great passer, runs, rebounds well, finishes well. If people got it out of their brain that he’s a prototypical point guard or the next version of Lebron James, he’d be easy to assess objectively.

The dude is a crazy version of Lamar Odom, and if he ever learns to shoot he’s a top 5 player in the league.

He is not a top 5 player. Edit – yes, if he learns to shoot, he has that potential.

• jfitzgan

@tmarohl said...

That is precisely the reason I don’t mind Giannis jacking up four or five threes per game. Think of Simmons as a slightly smaller version of Giannis. Simmons needs to put up that shot whether he makes it or not.

Agreed. The mere threat of shooting needs to be there.

• tmarohl

Richaun Homes with the Q tag

• jfitzgan

@Pandamonious said...

No, you give a similar deal to a 34 year old Al Hoford with nagging knee injuries, who plays the same position as your star player….

Didn’t Butler decide he wasn’t resigning with Philly long before free agency started, not Philly decided they didn’t want to resign him?

I think butler wanted out and I’m not the GM and would never in a million years signed horford.

• Pandamonious

• 2020 Blogger of the Month

@tmarohl said...

Richaun Homes with the Q tag

Bazemore too, who was looking like a decent low owned play.

• tmarohl

Butler ruled out for tomorrow. Dragic uncertain.

• captainwacky

The sixers have too many moving parts, not enough direction on who’s their guy (or guys), and a lot of personalities that don’t mesh.

For what it’s worth, I thought getting Jimmy was awesome but also he had to go after it was clear he couldn’t co-exist with Jo and Simmons. I also thought horford was a good signing that was going to suck on the back end of it… he just cratered too fast for it to even be OK.

• jfitzgan

@captainwacky said...

Agreed. When is he going to learn to shoot? Or even attempt a shot outside of the lane? This is my issue.

• mbunner23

@tmarohl said...

He is not a top 5 player.

He didn’t say he was. He said IF he could shoot.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).