NBA FORUM

Comments

• bhdevault

• Lead Moderator

• Blogger of the Month

7:00 PM EST : Miami ( 2 ) at Boston ( -2 ) —- T: 208.5

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – NBA strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterday’s games will be moved to yesterday’s NBA thread. Any off topic posts, troll posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted. While the use of GIF’s are acceptable, content must be posted along with them.

• Pandamonious

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #94

RG Tiered Ranking

• 2020 Blogger of the Month

@monarch said...

Playing Wanamaker 50 percent over Duncan Robinson 15 percent in showdown is a mistake. Thats my thing.

And I checked. Robinson has done well in games with Butler and Herro. Those guys have positive correlation with Buckets.

Well, I can understand Robinson over that guy of course. It’s not always 1 v 1 though. You could play them together.

What I use for correlations has Herro negative with Butler and Robinson, but Robinson and Butler are positively correlated.

My point more so was Herro would be higher owned than he should be because of last game, while Robinson would be lower owned than he should be because of last game. Based on other comments you made in the past, and specifically those about you know who, you normally seem concerned with playing a guy who will have increased ownership based on the results of the previous game and you did exactly that with Herro, then you doubled down and took the guy who was in foul trouble, ultimately increasing Herro’s minutes and his production.

• Pandamonious

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #94

RG Tiered Ranking

If I could have rostered the Pistons mascot tonight, I 100% would have gone all in, but I can’t. He wasn’t in the pool. His success tonight though, is not shocking, which makes the fact he wasn’t in the pool incredibly frustrating, since no one would have been on him anyway.

I think you’re referencing Hooper, of the Cleveland Browns though, and in the wrong forum.

• theIrrigator

@monarch said...

Playing Wanamaker 50 percent over Duncan Robinson 15 percent in showdown is a mistake. Thats my thing.

And I checked. Robinson has done well in games with Butler and Herro. Those guys have positive correlation with Buckets.

Duncan was twice the price. Strictly 1v1 scenario obviously you take Duncan if they were the same price

• jlowery73

2012 DDC Main Event Champion

• 2014 FAFC Finalist

• x3

2015 FACFC Finalist

I’m gonna just say this. I have lots of Bam tonight…..but damn he looks SO good tonight and a couple games in the last series he literally couldn’t walk and chew gum out there. Just bizarre the difference.

• yisman

We’ve seen a lot of second half collapses in the bubble

• monarch

Celtics making the proper adjustment by allowing Kemba to shoot over the zone

• tmarohl

Miami is impressive again tonight.

• yisman

well, Boston had a chance to force OT after Butler fumbled it out of bounds, but Tatum missed

damn

• billythekidcowboysheat

2more, coming for that🏆

• BiGtIGeRs

@billythekidcowboysheat said...

2more, coming for that🏆

Idk the nuggets aint soft

• Njsum1

@Pandamonious said...

based on actual research

What actual “research” can be done on one and two game slates. It’s feel and a diceroll, has been for a couple weeks now

• Pandamonious

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #94

RG Tiered Ranking

I hear Marcus Smart didn’t take the loss well.

• m203

@Pandamonious said...

It’s not recency bias. Based on your 2nd sentence I would suggest you have “star bias.” As in any team with two all-stars is automatically a really talented team.

You’re right about Morris. Every team would love to have him, that’s why every team gets rid of him. Suns trade him to Detroit, Detroit sends him to Boston, Boston decides not to resign him, he signs with the Knicks, then Knicks move him for a very late 1st in a terrible draft. All in less than 5 years.

Lou and Harrell get what is, big market bias. The idea that Lou is better than, or Harrell deserved the 6 man over Dragic, Schroder, Rose, Bogdan, Dinwiddie. Even like Seth Curry, Terrance Ross, or Bertans is kind of ridiculous.

Zubac is not “very solid.” Green is OK, he’s a decent player, but “incredible back up 5?” WHAT?! That’s why Memphis moved him in a strictly salary dump trade, right?

I have zero to do with Clippers. Neither a fan, or a hater. I just see what I see. Yes, they were up 3-1 on the Nuggets, but the team didn’t have the mental or physical ability to close it out. That’s weak and signs of a weak team. You’re also ignoring their struggles with Dallas, and if Porzingis does’t get a BS ejection in game 1, then miss the rest of the series after game 3, what would have happened? They easily might have gotten knocked out in the 1st round. Would people be “over reacting” then?

Not to mention LA is actually going to have to fork over money to resign Morris and Harrell and that incredible back-up Green, I imagine move into some heavy luxury tax, just to bring back the exact same team, because they have zero assets to move that couldn’t get it done when it mattered. How does that make sense?

This is what equates to false hype. An LA team, getting the media bump all day, people catch the vapors, then when it’s exposed as hype, people still try to defend it, because they can’t believe they were wrong about it.

lol captain hindsight over here. i’m not a clippers or nuggets fan either. i don’t have a favorite team, i just love the league.

that being said, paul george and kawhi leonard are immensely talented guys, regardless of what happened. any other team in the league with two top ~12 talents (one of them arguably being top 3) would be considered stacked, especially with the guys they had around them. PG has struggled in the playoffs for sure, but he’s still a guy capable of stretching the floor, being a respectable playmaker and putting up 25 any night without being a defensive liability.

you can say montrezl and lou are just “LA hype” but the fact is they both averaged 18 off the bench this season. again, a luxury pretty much every other NBA team just does not have. when you have a backup big that can shoot and play defense, that is a HUGE boost to your team. which is why i say jamychal green is incredible for what he is on that contract. and zubac absolutely is a solid young player in my opinion.

so anyway, the basis of this argument was that denver was “obviously” the better team based on the results of the series. the best team doesn’t always win a series man. the warriors went 73-9, were clearly a better team than the cavaliers, and just played poorly down the stretch of a game 7. these things happen man. especially in bizarre circumstances like this with the bubble. results are extremely random. kawhi and PG scored 5 points the entire second half of an elimination game. if you play it again 15 times i doubt that happens again.

the results don’t mean you get to completely rewrite history and what we knew to be true before. this is the equivalent of in 2011 saying the heat should have blown up their squad because lebron james choked. the clippers are still gonna contend and could very well win it all next year. so yes, saying they HAVE to give up now is an overreaction and quite frankly is ridiculous

• tmarohl

@Pandamonious said...

That is what Malika Andrews has been reporting.

• gaelicgirl

Cashed in all 3 contests with 240.47!

Bam, Jimmy, Dragic, Herro and Smart

• theIrrigator

@m203 said...

paul george and kawhi leonard are immensely talented guys

PG is becoming the new Carmelo

• theIrrigator

@Pandamonious said...

I dont think he takes anything well. I remember when he was in college he played us and tried to get in a fight with a fan lol

• Pandamonious

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #94

RG Tiered Ranking

@m203 said...

lol captain hindsight over here. i’m not a clippers or nuggets fan either. i don’t have a favorite team, i just love the league.

that being said, paul george and kawhi leonard are immensely talented guys, regardless of what happened. any other team in the league with two top ~12 talents (one of them arguably being top 3) would be considered stacked, especially with the guys they had around them. PG has struggled in the playoffs for sure, but he’s still a guy capable of stretching the floor, being a respectable playmaker and putting up 25 any night without being a defensive liability.

you can say montrezl and lou are just “LA hype” but the fact is they both averaged 18 off the bench this season. again, a luxury pretty much every other NBA team just does not have. when you have a backup big that can shoot and play defense, that is a HUGE boost to your team. which is why i say jamychal green is incredible for what he is on that contract. and zubac absolutely is a solid young player in my opinion.

so anyway, the basis of this argument was that denver was “obviously” the better team based on the results of the series. the best team doesn’t always win a series man. the warriors went 73-9, were clearly a better team than the cavaliers, and just played poorly down the stretch of a game 7. these things happen man. especially in bizarre circumstances like this with the bubble. results are extremely random. kawhi and PG scored 5 points the entire second half of an elimination game. if you play it again 15 times i doubt that happens again.

the results don’t mean you get to completely rewrite history and what we knew to be true before. this is the equivalent of in 2011 saying the heat should have blown up their squad because lebron james choked. the clippers are still gonna contend and could very well win it all next year. so yes, saying they HAVE to give up now is an overreaction and quite frankly is ridiculous

OK. So, this is the last I’m going to write on the matter, because I know I’m not changing your mind and that’s fine. I have to respond to this, because you’re glossing over the major points and jumping to ridiculous comparisons. You think I’m captain hindsight, but all my points are mostly about foresight and that seems to be what you’re missing. This isn’t about the Clippers suck, this is about they’re not a championship team, and have practically zero avenues to truly improve themselves.

First, I want to address some of your ridiculous comparisons:

1) The 2011 Miami Heat went to the NBA finals. They didn’t barely escape the no Porzingis, 1 ankle Doncic, Dallas Mavericks in the 1st round, then collapse and show mental and physical weakness by blowing a 3-1 lead in the 2nd round. HUGE difference. Also those Miami Heat had 3 all-star level players, not 2, and LeBron and Wade were better than Kawhi and George are now, and they were all younger then those guys are now, especially Bron and Bosh who were 25, and were just going to get better and better not 30. Chris Bosh was light years better than Harrell, Lou, and Morris.

2) The Warriors lost to the Cavs in the FINALS. It took getting to the FINALS to lose to a lesser team. They didn’t COLLAPSE like the Clippers did. They “struggled” against a team with one of the true greats of all time in Bron who has consistently pushed teams well beyond what anyone could imagine on paper.

3) Lou and Harrell averaged 18 off the bench, because they played starter minutes and came in behind placeholder junk like Patrick Patterson, Landry Shamet, Maurice Harkless and who ever else started throughout the year. over them, because their style of play suits a bench role. Because again, Lou is strictly a scorer and streaky shooter, while Harrell again, is just a high energy bench guy who gets stats by out hustling his opponent. I’m not saying they’re bad players, I’m saying they’re not “great” or “get you over the hump” to win a title players. Not to mention the constant load management of Kawhi and PG lead to them taking on bigger roles then there roster justified many nights, increasing their work loads, increasing their stats.

4) “ the results don’t mean you get to completely rewrite history and what we knew to be true before”

WHAT?! The results ARE the history. Historically the Clippers will go down as losing in 7 games, after a 3-1 series lead. That IS the results and what the record books will show. YOU are the one trying the rewrite history saying this is a GREAT team. GREAT teams don’t blow huge series leads, and huge leads in games in the process of blowing it.

Now, to the point you’re missing, that was my original point. There’s a few different kinds of teams in this league.

1) The truly elite title contenders. What we thought were the Lakers, Clippers, Bucks, maybe the Celtics, Raptors.

2) The teams on the cusp, with a young enough roster that are trying to improve internally as their youth grows. I’d have put the Nuggets there, maybe the Sixers with Embiid and Simmons, the Heat with Butler as the centerpiece then Bam and Herro who are young and have the cap flexibility going forward to really build up their team.

3) Then you have the really young teams, who are actively building their roster up and in the right direction. Teams like the Mavs, Pelicans, Suns, probably Memphis. The Hawks. The Kings are trying to.

4) Then you have the teams actively tanking. The Cavs, Wizards, the Knicks, you get it.

Then what you have is that 5th group. The teams in no mans land. That’s the worst possible place to be and really a completely pointless place for a team to be. These are the teams who’s roster are nowhere near capable to competing for a title, but too good to suck and start tanking without major roster overhaul. These are teams like Orlando, Houston, the Spurs, Portland, The Pistons before Blake was out for the year and they tried to tank, OKC is really in that group although they’re a hybrid sort of. Sixers ended up in this group this year and most likely stay in this group, unless they trade Embiid.

It also appears to me the Clippers are in this group. They aren’t good enough to win a title and have zero assets to improve their team. The best players on their team are not getting better. Bringing back the same exact team and expecting them to be able to get to the finals or win a championship is crazy. They don’t have the cap space to add a major asset. They’ll have the 5 million exception, and because they’re perceived as a “contender” they might get a player worth more than 5 million, but that player won’t be enough to bring them to title contention. Think like, Kent Bazemore, Justin Holiday, Alec Burks. Yeah. Maybe Marc Gasol if they don’t/can’t resign Harrell. Or decide to trade Zubac for the bag of chips and a 2nd round pick he’s worth.

That brings me back to my point before of Harrell, Morris, and Green all being free agents. They have to pay up and fork over the money well into the luxury tax to bring all these guys back. Balmer probably doesn’t care, and will pay well into the luxury tax, but it just further ties this team up into a bunch of money with a roster that couldn’t win. It’s actually stupid to do now and for the long term.

So, this team has to improve within. It can’t improve by bringing in external pieces through free agency, or by trading young upside pieces on their bench for quality win now pieces. These guys they’re counting on are already in their “prime” and have peaked or certainly in Lou and Beverly’s case in the downward part of their career. They’re just going to get worse every year.

So, that leads to two options. Bring back the same team and not win a title. Stupid.
    Or, completely retool the team and blow it up, to build it back up. Trade George, Lou, sign and trade Harrell and rebuild the roster. Get a real PG, get a couple better more versatile role players.

Like, maybe they can get Turner and Dipo for George and Shamet.
    Maybe they can sign and trade Harrell to Houston for Gordon
    Then sign Marc Gasol.

Mix it up, increase your depth and bring back a more complete roster.

Much rather start Beverly/Dipo/Kawhi/Turner/Gasol with Zubac, Gordon, Lou off the bench and Morris too if they resign him. That’s a much, much better team if they can pull something like that off.

GM’s that sit on their hands like you’re suggesting and just go, oh we just had a bad series, we’ll do better next year is why teams never improve and just stick where they are and go nowhere. These no mans land teams. It doesn’t matter what their record is. If you’re 4th in your confernce or 9th. Doesn’t matter. When you can’t win a title, and you’re not doing anything or literally can’t do anything to build your team into a championship team, you can’t ask for a worse spot to be in.

• gaelicgirl

@Pandamonious said...

GM’s that sit on their hands like you’re suggesting and just go, oh we just had a bad series, we’ll do better next year is why teams never improve and just stick where they are and go nowhere. These no mans land teams. It doesn’t matter what their record is. If you’re 4th in your confernce or 9th. Doesn’t matter. When you can’t win a title, and you’re not doing anything or literally can’t do anything to build your team into a championship team, you can’t ask for a worse spot to be in.

Bravo

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-Gambler (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL only.