NBA FORUM

Comments

• Benf15harp

8PM EST: Team Lebron(-6.5) vs Team Giannis(6.5) – T: 300
    TV Network: TNT (please check with your local cable provider)

• JSteele

@monarch said...

Why would that be the case?

He missed the last 2 games before the break and there was talk from Stevens wanting to make sure he was 100% before playing in this game?

• monarch

@JSteele said...

He missed the last 2 games before the break and there was talk from Stevens wanting to make sure he was 100% before playing in this game?

Kyrie is fine…he doesn’t care about Stevens. He wants to put on a show vs Steph. This game IMO is therapeutic for guys like Kyrie and AD. I do think one of those starters has a reduction in minutes….I’m game theorizing that it is Kawhi.

• Njsum1

@tmarohl said...

Vegas sets lines to get equal money on both sides. Just like Lebron gets the most all star votes, the casual betting public bets on Lebron. That is probably why there is a 6 point spread.

In this case I think this is spot on, as the oddsmakers have no real way to get an accurate line or over under for an all star game. And generally in combat sports like boxing where there is no total, just odds I would guess this is true as well to some extent.

However, I don’t agree that over-unders or spreads in sports like nfl, mlb, and nba are set to be anything except accurate. Meaning set to be as if this game was played a 1000 times, this would be the mean result.

It would cost the oddsmakers a lot of money to intentionally set poor over-unders in hopes to get equal action.

Here’s 2 examples….take MLB….a weak over under is set at 7 1/2. Sharps and the heavy money come in and hammer the over, forcing the books to move the line to 8, they take some decent betting on the over at 8, then move the line to 8 1/2. At 8 1/2 heavy money comes in on the under moving the line to 8. When the line moves to 8 this time people no longer see the value in taking either over or under. Leaving the heaviest money at 7.5 and 8.5. If the game totals 8 runs, the books are in big trouble.

Yes the books want equal action, yet they might not be able to get it if the line is clearly poor.

Example 2, they set a bad line on an NBA game at 214 solely cause they “think” (not because this is where the metrics say the line should be set) this is where they’ll get equal action….the over keeps getting bet, bet, bet, until the line moves to 223. At which point people stop betting the over, yet no one is really interested in betting the under either. If that games comes in at 224 they’re toast. Likely toast at anything over 220. They have plenty incentive to set accurate lines.

Edit…the above example can happen as well even if the book set a good accurate line. Yet over time, they’ll benefit if the public bets against a strong line, whereas they’d risk ruin hanging bad lines out there. Over a larger sample they’ll be net losers setting weak lines, whereas with a strong line they’ll be net winners, in situations like the above example where they’re forced to be on one side.

• Dfspacman

Beal “angry last man to be picked narrative”

• tmarohl

@Njsum1 said...

In this case I think this is spot on, as the oddsmakers have no real way to get an accurate line or over under for an all star game. And generally in combat sports like boxing where there is no total, just odds I would guess this is true as well to some extent.

However, I don’t agree that over-unders or spreads in sports like nfl, mlb, and nba are set to be anything except accurate. Meaning set to be as if this game was played a 1000 times, this would be the mean result.

It would cost the oddsmakers a lot of money to intentionally set poor over-unders in hopes to get equal action.

Here’s 2 examples….take MLB….a weak over under is set at 7 1/2. Sharps and the heavy money come in and hammer the over, forcing the books to move the line to 8, they take some decent betting on the over at 8, then move the line to 8 1/2. At 8 1/2 heavy money comes in on the under moving the line to 8. When the line moves to 8 this time people no longer see the value in taking either over or under. Leaving the heaviest money at 7.5 and 8.5. If the game totals 8 runs, the books are in big trouble.

Yes the books want equal action, yet they might not be able to get it if the line is clearly poor.

Example 2, they set a bad line on an NBA game at 214 solely cause they “think” (not because this is where the metrics say the line should be set) this is where they’ll get equal action….the over keeps getting bet, bet, bet, until the line moves to 223. At which point people stop betting the over, yet no one is really interested in betting the under either. If that games comes in at 224 they’re toast. Likely toast at anything over 220. They have plenty incentive to set accurate lines.

Edit…the above example can happen as well even if the book set a good accurate line. Yet over time, they’ll benefit if the public bets against a strong line, whereas they’d risk ruin hanging bad lines out there. Over a larger sample they’ll be net losers setting weak lines, whereas the other way with a strong line they’ll be net winners.

Yes, but a sports book or bookie wants equal money on each side. That way they have no risk and get the juice. That is their ultimate goal. The line is set to get equal action on both sides, period.

• jjpk

@Dfspacman said...

Beal “angry last man to be picked narrative”

5 LUs on DK and he is in 0 of them. My favorite “bench” guys are Ben and Jokic — they can get nice stats without having to shoot.

• monarch

Is DK going to fill? 11k entries short and doesn’t look like a lot of the sharks are in it

• superjon

So the GTD next to AD’s name. Is that meant for tonight’s game or the Pelican’s first game after the break?

• jess701

Were is Panda tonight taking the night off?

• JSteele

@superjon said...

So the GTD next to AD’s name. Is that meant for tonight’s game or the Pelican’s first game after the break?

He’s questionable because of that shoulder injury he suffered in the last game before the break. I think he plays, but not much.

• monarch

@jess701 said...

Were is Panda tonight taking the night off?

I think most people are…I don’t see Panda entered in contests

• jess701

Ya I only got 1 head to head going for shitsnand giggles!

• monarch

I’m at 25….might be done.

• superjon

@monarch said...

I’m at 25….might be done.

18 here. Definitely done.

• be47320

4 lineups, 60$ invested

curry captain in 3, kemba in 1

• monarch

Just built a CPT Kawhi….I think its time to step away from the laptop…lol

• noddy

Better take 3 point shooters tonight.

• Pandamonious

• 2020 Blogger of the Month

I’m making some line ups. Was really focused on Nascar today. Not playing too much tonight. I’m 4 line ups in, not sure what I’ll get up to.

• jess701

@Pandamonious said...

I’m making some line ups. Was really focused on Nascar today. Not playing too much tonight. I’m 4 line ups in, not sure what I’ll get up to.

Cant be doing very well panda there is only like 10 cars left lol I did also I have 50 points lol!

• Pandamonious

I keep loading up and putting Wade in. Not sure if I’ll regret it or not.

• Pandamonious

@jess701 said...

Cant be doing very well panda there is only like 10 cars left lol I did also I have 50 points lol!

I’m up $659 right now. We’ll see how these last 2 laps go if they ever finish. Might end up with WAY more, also could be less.

• jess701

@Pandamonious said...

I’m up $659 right now. We’ll see how these last 2 laps go if they ever finish. Might end up with WAY more, also could be less.

Wow great job!

• realphipps

Is it in bad taste to debate how many mins Boogie gets tonight?

We all know the answer, but it feels like Robin without Batman discussing DFS without this tired topic.

Speaking of whats missing, I offer an invitation to Durham to share his lineup, and gift the board some Nature Boy.

• Njsum1

@monarch said...

Just built a CPT Kawhi….I think its time to step away from the laptop…lol

Lmao

• squidkill

Anyone like the First half OVER?? 159 seems very high. Imo

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).