NBA FORUM

Comments

• bhdevault

• Lead Moderator

• Blogger of the Month

6:00 PM EST : Atlanta ( 5.5 ) at Washington ( -5.5 ) —- T: 212.5
    8:30 PM EST : Chicago ( 8 ) at Boston ( -8 ) —- T: 202

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – NBA strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterdays games will be moved to yesterdays NBA thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted..

• sethayates

@bjacksonibew said...

Jose Calderon, he was effecient, does he get more run at 2K?

I’m surprised this was the first Calderon mention. Cfitz19 is correct that Calderon played so many minutes because Schroder picked up three fouls in the first eight minutes. With that said, Calderon was a team high +29 in 20 minutes. He’s the reason the Hawks won that game.

I assume that the Hawks have some people who looked at stats. In 48 minutes this series with Calderon on the court the Hawks have an OFFRTG of 106.6 and a DETRTG of 88 for a net rating of 18.6.

For comparison, Schroder has a net rating of -4.2 on the court and the Hawks have a net rating of 19.9 with Schroder off the court. I’m not saying it will be tonight but at some point the Hawks need to realize that Schroder’s poor defense is holding this team back.

Earlier this season they were letting Malcolm Delaney close games for this exact reason. It would not surprise me if Calderon played his way into some additional minutes. Calderon is averaging 0.87 fantasy points per minute in the playoffs so far (31.2 per 36).

For cash games or those trying to at least minimum cash in GPPs, Isaiah Canaan is the obvious play. If you want to swerve though, I don’t hate the idea of playing Calderon in hopes that Schroder gets in foul trouble or gets benched. It’s a bit of a long shot though.

P.S. Calderon was already at the table to sub in for Schroder when Schroder picked up his third foul.

• bigkino217

anyone else having trouble with FD? im just getting white screens

• Hoss_Man

Is everyone overthinking Canaan?

• sethayates

@Hoss_Man said...

Is everyone overthinking Canaan?

On FD at $1,800……….Yes

On DK at $3,800……….Maybe?

• billholler

@sethayates said...

P.S. Calderon was already at the table to sub in for Schroder when Schroder picked up his third foul.

But probably only plays 5-7 minutes if Yellow Spot doesn’t get the 3rd foul.

• colb24

wall smart … or schro beal (DK)

• sethayates

Here’s some additional information on Canaan. According to CourtIQ, he averages 0.6 fantasy points per minute. That equals 21.69 fantasy points per 36 minutes. Even if we only project Canaan for 24 minutes (0.6 × 24) he lands at 14.4 fantasy points. That’s just fine for $1,800 on FD but not what you are looking for on DK.

However, that’s also lazy analysis. CourtIQ also lets us runs scenarios with players on the court. If you put Canaan on the court with tonight’s starters things do not look nearly as good.

He has a 16.9% usage rate and averages 14.47 fantasy points per 36 minutes (0.4 fantasy points per minute). Whether you play him tonight is determined by which site you are playing. I like a lot of other options better at $3,800 on DK. It’s harder to pass up on $1,800 on FD though.

• goblue84

@not4you25 said...

Care to elaborate?? I know they had some chaos a month or so ago over politics and opinions and tweets. Didn’t know they had fallen to reporting fake injury reports.

Reporters getting let go today at ESPN has nothing to do with politics, opinions, tweets, fake news, etc. ESPN is severely in the red due to loss of subscribers as they charge more than any other cable channel by a wide margin. This had previously been reported by outside news orgs that it was going to happen; ESPN actually moves the cuts up to today because of all the leaks about what was going to happen.

• cfitz19

@sethayates said...

I’m surprised this was the first Calderon mention. Cfitz19 is correct that Calderon played so many minutes because Schroder picked up three fouls in the first eight minutes. With that said, Calderon was a team high +29 in 20 minutes. He’s the reason the Hawks won that game.

I assume that the Hawks have some people who looked at stats. In 48 minutes this series with Calderon on the court the Hawks have an OFFRTG of 106.6 and a DETRTG of 88 for a net rating of 18.6.

For comparison, Schroder has a net rating of -4.2 on the court and the Hawks have a net rating of 19.9 with Schroder off the court. I’m not saying it will be tonight but at some point the Hawks need to realize that Schroder’s poor defense is holding this team back.

Earlier this season they were letting Malcolm Delaney close games for this exact reason. It would not surprise me if Calderon played his way into some additional minutes. Calderon is averaging 0.87 fantasy points per minute in the playoffs so far (31.2 per 36).

For cash games or those trying to at least minimum cash in GPPs, Isaiah Canaan is the obvious play. If you want to swerve though, I don’t hate the idea of playing Calderon in hopes that Schroder gets in foul trouble or gets benched. It’s a bit of a long shot though.

Awesome info, thanks man. I am a Wizards fan (obvious by the avatar) but even I got a little hype when Calderon had that put back in the 4th haha

• Benf15harp

@goblue84 said...

Reporters getting let go today at ESPN has nothing to do with politics, opinions, tweets, fake news, etc. ESPN is severely in the red due to loss of subscribers as they charge more than any other cable channel by a wide margin. This had previously been reported by outside news orgs that it was going to happen; ESPN actually moves the cuts up to today because of all the leaks about what was going to happen.

Any chance Stephen A is out? Lol
    I don’t care about the cost of ESPN but anything involving Stephen A is an auto channel change

• Theguy49503

Anybody feeling Dwight Howard or the forwards from the Wizards tonight?

• Benf15harp

I’m 95% fading Canaan /Green and 100% fade of Calderon(dk)

• winnerchickendinner

Bojan bogdanavic and Paul zipser

• Benf15harp

@Theguy49503 said...

i like Kieff big time.

• Theguy49503

@Benf15harp said...

i like Kieff big time.

I do to I think it could be a 30 DK point night for him

• pheffernan7

@Benf15harp said...

i like Kieff big time.

I dunno man. Millsap has made it a point to embarrass that dude ever since he started letting his mouth go. I’m not saying I don’t like him tho

• mike42

Im fading howard, doesn’t seem like you can count on him to come through 2 games in a row. I like Otto, got a good bump up in minutes last game, due for a good game, got 40 burger upside. Think if he pushes 40 min again you would happy with his production.

• Theguy49503

Will Bradley Beals be a good play tonight in you guys opinion? I think Him, Wall and Morris could potentially combine for 100 or more points on DK

• escot4

• x2

$2M Prize Winner

• 2016 DraftKings FFWC Champion

@sethayates said...

Here’s some additional information on Canaan. According to CourtIQ, he averages 0.6 fantasy points per minute. That equals 21.69 fantasy points per 36 minutes. Even if we only project Canaan for 24 minutes (0.6 × 24) he lands at 14.4 fantasy points. That’s just fine for $1,800 on FD but not what you are looking for on DK.

However, that’s also lazy analysis. CourtIQ also lets us runs scenarios with players on the court. If you put Canaan on the court with tonight’s starters things do not look nearly as good.

He has a 16.9% usage rate and averages 14.47 fantasy points per 36 minutes (0.4 fantasy points per minute).

I normally love your analysis, but I wouldn’t read too much into a 25.5 minute sample. He went 2-8 from the field and 1-5 from three in that stretch. If he just makes another three and gets one assist during that stretch, he’s back up to 0.6 fantasy points per minute.

• DirkDigglerz

Jason Smith though he’s capable of putting up 25 burgs..

• dgballer

@DirkDigglerz said...

Jason Smith though he’s capable of putting up 25 burgs..

Is there such thing as a 25 burger?

• Benf15harp

@pheffernan7 said...

I dunno man. Millsap has made it a point to embarrass that dude ever since he started letting his mouth go. I’m not saying I don’t like him tho

Yea but he shouldn’t be in foul trouble in DC. I like him for 35+ on dk. Millsap at 9k is just too much. I’d rather spend another 1k for jimmy buckets

• bigkino217

@dgballer said...

Is there such thing as a 25 burger?

canaan going for that 16 burger

• bigkino217

@Benf15harp said...

Yea but he shouldn’t be in foul trouble in DC

he has 4, 5, 5, and 5 fouls in the series so far

• sethayates

@escot4 said...

I normally love your analysis, but I wouldn’t read too much into a 25.5 minute sample. He went 2-8 from the field and 1-5 from three in that stretch. If he just makes another three and gets one assist during that stretch, he’s back up to 0.6 fantasy points per minute.

That’s completely fair, we don’t have a lot to work with. Even if we assume Canaan holds at 0.6 FP/MIN he’s still not a must-play on DK at $3,800. What it boils down to is whether or noy you feel his minutes are secure. Is he playing 34 minutes again tonight? It’s hard to say as Hoiberg has been wildly unpredictable with his PG rotation this season (and PF to an extent).

I think Canaan lands somewhere around 16 fantasy points tonight. He’s not going to kill any lineups but he’s an interesting fade strictly for game theory reasons.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-Gambler (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL only.