NBA FORUM

Comments

• bhdevault

• Lead Moderator

• Blogger of the Month

8:30 PM EST : Atlanta ( 8 ) at Milwaukee ( -8 ) —- T: 226

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – NBA strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterday’s games will be moved to yesterday’s NBA thread. Any off topic posts, troll posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted. While the use of GIF’s are acceptable, content must be posted along with them.

• monarch

I like this one tonight.

Bucks went small so they could switch/ice everything on Trae. It did not work because they sacrificed offense by having Tucker on the floor so much and tried to just withstand whatever they got from Trae while staying attached to all the other Hawks.

The question is will they do that again? It is probably the correct move…it is what the Clippers have been doing to Luka, Mitchell and Booker. It works in the long run but they also run the risk of going down 0-2 because ceding Young 34 shots is not the safest thing to do in the world.

If they scheme Trae differently, hedging/trapping/blitzing then that will easily open up Huerter, Bogdanovic, Gallinari and Lou Williams. But I think Budenholzer probably thinks Young cannot beat them four times and he is probably right. Hell, they didnt even double Kevin Durant.

Solomon Hill at 1k is about as safe as it gets for a cheap floor. He will be on the court in this series quite a bit with the Bucks choosing to go small.

• siddom

Good analysis monarch

• emnj69

@monarch said...

I like this one tonight.

Bucks went small so they could switch/ice everything on Trae. It did not work because they sacrificed offense by having Tucker on the floor so much and tried to just withstand whatever they got from Trae while staying attached to all the other Hawks.

The question is will they do that again? It is probably the correct move…it is what the Clippers have been doing to Luka, Mitchell and Booker. It works in the long run but they also run the risk of going down 0-2 because ceding Young 34 shots is not the safest thing to do in the world.

If they scheme Trae differently, hedging/trapping/blitzing then that will easily open up Huerter, Bogdanovic, Gallinari and Lou Williams. But I think Budenholzer probably thinks Young cannot beat them four times and he is probably right. Hell, they didnt even double Kevin Durant.

Solomon Hill at 1k is about as safe as it gets for a cheap floor. He will be on the court in this series quite a bit with the Bucks choosing to go small.

I would attack and double trae-make somebody else beat you-the offense is trae. If the hawks role players beat you so beat it-one thing we know is if you let trae run wild he will drop 40-50 on you and you will lose. ABC has to be ultra aggressive and just take it to the hoop every time he can and he has to make his foul shouts. ABC shooting from the perimeter is dumb and not his game-no way would I be comfortable laying 8 on this game.

• theIrrigator

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #31

RG Tiered Ranking

SD Ironman achieved!

See you guys and gals next year…

• tmarohl

@monarch said...

I like this one tonight.

Actually should have worked if the Bucks get a couple of rebounds toward the end of the game.
    Trae scores 48, and Bucks also probably win if they get anything from Middleton in that game.
    Paint was wide open, yet Bucks kept chucking up threes and clanking them.

Bottom line is you can let Trae get his if you play a little better offensively and keep the other guys in check.

• emnj69

@tmarohl said...

Actually should have worked if the Bucks get a couple of rebounds toward the end of the game.
    Trae scores 48, and Bucks also probably win if they get anything from Middleton in that game.
    Paint was wide open, yet Bucks kept chucking up threes and clanking them.

Bottom line is you can let Trae get his if you play a little better offensively and keep the other guys in check.

other teams have tried to let trae have his and trae walked away winning-after the Knicks series teams should have sold out to stop trae-he is an elite player and a game changer. I would rather the game be in the hands of anybody but trae

• siddom

Capella Collins or Ayton dk gpp?

• siddom

For 2 game slate

• Njsum1

The only edge in these showdowns is to play guys people think won’t do well.

Everyone knows the stars, everyone knows which bench guys should be in the rotation, everyone knows the non star starters, and their range of outcomes. How the fringe guys actually perform is often random. It’s a one game slate.

That said, the edge tonight is to play a bunch of Middleton. Do, I think Middleton will have a big game? I have no idea. Yet I’d assume out of Holiday, Giannis, and Trae, he’ll probably be the lowest owned, yet still has big upside if his shot is falling. 🤷‍♂️

Edit…for example, on DK out of Giannis, Trae, Middleton and Holiday….Holiday was the lowest owned by like 15%. And it was the Holiday Captain lineups that won all the monies.

• theIrrigator

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #31

RG Tiered Ranking

Dont know if Middleton is that guy

• Wsdm61987

@theIrrigator said...

Dont know if Middleton is that guy

right, if his price was 1k less on FD I’d be all over him, but 8700 feels too steep. There are some games he hits value at way over his price, but I just can’t trust it tonight. If he goes off tonight, so be it, but I’m only doin’ a few LU’s with him in it.

• Njsum1

Edit….Response to Irrigator, “don’t know if Middleton is that guy”

For sure, he’s not always that guy, yet he “can be” that guy from time to time. As evidenced by his 55 and 70 DK point efforts versus Brooklyn.

If you read my post you’d see I’m not calling for a big game, simply saying if you don’t want to just min cash you need to go where others aren’t. Or where less people go.

My best lineup yesterday had Captain Zubac. I’m not a showdown fan, so I only do 4 lineups per slate. So I’m looking to be more contrarian, than I would on a real slate.

• Njsum1

@Wsdm61987 said...

right, if his price was 1k less on FD I’d be all over him, but 8700 feels too steep. There are some games he hits value at way over his price, but I just can’t trust it tonight. If he goes off tonight, so be it, but I’m only doin’ a few LU’s with him in it.

Again, I’m not predicting a big game from Middleton, he may suck again. Yet if you think he’s too expensive others will as well, and since he does have upside, now would be the time to get him at lower ownership. That’s my only point.

Play a little more game theory on these showdowns. Or at least take some shots in a couple of lineups if you make many.

• theIrrigator

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #31

RG Tiered Ranking

@Njsum1 said...

Edit….Response to Irrigator, “don’t know if Middleton is that guy”

For sure, he’s not always that guy, yet he “can be” that guy from time to time. As evidenced by his 55 and 70 DK point efforts versus Brooklyn.

If you read my post you’d see I’m not calling for a big game, simply saying if you don’t want to just min cash you need to go where others aren’t. Or where less people go.

My best lineup yesterday had Captain Zubac. I’m not a showdown fan, so I only do 4 lineups per slate. So I’m looking to be more contrarian, than I would on a real slate.

I’m not saying he can’t do good or have 50-70. I’m saying I dont think he is the guy that is the difference maker since he will still probably be 50%. It will be one of the lower priced guys who feels too expensive. Like a Bogdan who was 16% last game and bombed and now he is even more expensive. I had tons of Jrue/Bogdan and would of really cleaned up had Bogdan done his part.

• Pandamonious

• 2020 Blogger of the Month

What teams might do differently, is always worth discussion. Sometimes though its simple as, who did well last game, and why, and why did people who did poorly last game, do poorly from a fantasy perspective.

Well, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist or super in depth analysis to see Middleton shot 6-23 and 0-9 from 3. Frankly, Middleton hasn’t shot well for a while, but he’s certainly shot better. If you think he’s going to shoot less tonight, whatever, but he likely won’t.

Why did Jrue have such a great game? More rocket science analysis shows he shot 14-25, including 5-12 from 3. Guess what? Overall he’s also shot terribly this postseason.

Collins went off because he dominated the boards and had 9 second chance points. Atlanta and Milwaukee were 2 of the best rebounding teams in the league, and there’s really no reason why the Bucks should have gotten beaten that badly on the boards, and yes I consider a 6 board different a lot, when you’re the home team and you’re supposed to be the 3rd best rebounding team in the league.

The biggest discrepancy in rebounds was in the 4th quarter, when Capela almost matched the Bucks in total rebounds, which was also when Lopez wasn’t on the floor. In fairness, Lopez was -14 for the game, but I also wonder if they’re better off with Portis out there then Tucker. Portis had 8 rebounds in 14:42, while Lopez had 2 in 20:15, while Tucker had 7 in 34:55. I still don’t fully understand what Tucker is bringing to the table here. He played that whole 4 quarter, compiling 1 rebound. That’s it across all stats. While Capela had 6 points and 8 boards, Collins had 7 points and 2 boards, in 5 minutes, even Solomon Hills provided more stastically. What is he shutting down?

If the Bucks shoot like they should, and take care of the glass better ,they should win, no matter what Trae does. Middleton can not shoot that poorly though.

• Wsdm61987

@Njsum1 said...

Again, I’m not predicting a big game from Middleton, he may suck again. Yet if you think he’s too expensive others will as well, and since he does have upside, now would be the time to get him at lower ownership. That’s my only point.

Play a little more game theory on these showdowns. Or at least take some shots in a couple of lineups if you make many.

He won’t be low-owned I can guarantee that, so he won’t be the contrarian play. It might pan out that he was the obvious play, but its hard to see him hittin’ over 43.5(5x) or even gettin’ to 43.5. Coach Bud always wants to get him goin’ so he’ll have plenty of opportunity because he’s his guy and dependin’ on how he plays, (more accurately, how he shoots), is the measurin’ stick for if the team takes this series. He has mostly underwhelmed though.

• billythekidcowboysheat

Bud is too damm stubborn to realize brolo shouldn’t be on the court this series.

Trae probaly won’t get 48 again, but 30 with 10-15 assists is what I’d expect.

I do believe bucks bounce back, but i don’t see a blowout.

Give me kris all day for bounce back.

• Pandamonious

@billythekidcowboysheat said...

Bud is too damm stubborn to realize brolo shouldn’t be on the court this series.

Seems like Lopez is trending towards not being on the floor this series. At least not much. 20 minutes, being a playoff low and no 4th quarter run. Don’t think 35 minutes of Tucker is the answer though.

Either more Portis or just go for it with ABC/Middleton/Pat C/Forbes/Jrue. Seems like they refuse to let Giannis have to bang down low a little bit though.

• tmarohl

@billythekidcowboysheat said...

I don’t think Tucker should be on the court.

• Njsum1

@Wsdm61987 said...

He won’t be low-owned I can guarantee that, so he won’t be the contrarian play. It might pan out that he was the obvious play, but its hard to see him hittin’ over 43.5(5x) or even gettin’ to 43.5. Coach Bud always wants to get him goin’ so he’ll have plenty of opportunity because he’s his guy and dependin’ on how he plays, (more accurately, how he shoots), is the measurin’ stick for if the team takes this series. He has mostly underwhelmed though.

I don’t mean contrarian, like 5%. It’s a showdown, even Solomon hill is gonna be 30%. I mean out of the 4 guys who will likely put up 40+ DK point performances, he’ll be the lowest owned.

Out of Holiday, Trae, and Giannis, I’m predicting Middleton will be the lowest owned.

• Njsum1

@Pandamonious said...

Well, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist or super in depth analysis

…….to do well at NBA DFS. 🤷‍♂️

Edit…good post overall, just wanted to make that point

• billythekidcowboysheat

@tmarohl said...

I don’t think Tucker should be on the court.

Neither guy is needed really imo.

Like they’re not gonna slow trae down unless they trap him every time and get the ball out of his hands, but that’s not realistic all series.

Portis is slow too against the pnr but he’s better then brolo. I don’t see the hesitancy by the bucks to not just let abc play the 5.

Start pat and hell let the little brother play more thanasis. Play forbes more as well. Let portis back up abc all game.

• tmarohl

You need to have someone on the court that Trae has to guard, that is why I say no Tucker.

• tmarohl

I was sitting right behind the basket for game 1. Lane was wide open. Giannis, Brook or Portis should be posting up every play, especially if Bucks continue to brick three pointers.

• Pandamonious

Showdowns are arguably even more about who you don’t play, then who you do. See 70% owned Booker last night. Game 1 between these team it was all those mid-tier role players who bombed, that everybody used as filler. Huerter, Gallo, Lopez. Although neither of those guys were massively owned, I highly doubt there was less than 70%+ of lineups that didn’t have at least 1 of them. Not to mentioned Connaughton was 50% owned and was just OK, but didn’t offer enough.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).