NBA FORUM

Comments

• bhdevault

• Lead Moderator

• Blogger of the Month

9:00 PM EST : Phoenix ( -1 ) at LA Clippers ( 1 ) —- T: 215

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – NBA strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterday’s games will be moved to yesterday’s NBA thread. Any off topic posts, troll posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted. While the use of GIF’s are acceptable, content must be posted along with them.

• SkateFiend

NBA 2021 finals – “duel of teams whose stars were least hurt”

It’s unbelievable how no one can seem to stay healthy in the NBA, for all the load management and last minute resting that goes on.

100% Paul.. won’t win one but should cash in a lot. What a game. 38% Paul wow didn’t expect that high actually. Figured 25%. Oh well.. look fwd to next year and the multi-game GPPs. Win one again hopefully. On to my Baseball’s now full blast.. time to win a GPP again, soon. With my Baseball’s.

• Yeoman

@theIrrigator said...

Weak move by Beverley

Seems to me like he’s turning into Lance Stephenson, polishing his image at the expense of his game.

• tmarohl

@Pandamonious said...

Stephen A is right about Paul.

This is the difference. This is my beef with Harden. Paul is going to be hard on you as a teammate. Phoenix followed him, and he got it done. They rose up to his level.

Harden couldn’t take Paul being tough on him, and made him go away. Then whined that the front office couldn’t put a winner around him. Harden’s a great player, but he’s not championship material.

Wondering where the Bucks would be if they would have acquired Point God rather than Holiday.

• tmarohl

@SkateFiend said...

NBA 2021 finals – “duel of teams whose stars were least hurt”

It’s unbelievable how no one can seem to stay healthy in the NBA, for all the load management and last minute resting that goes on.

Just about every major injury was the result of unusual contact, and nothing to do with overuse.

• Yeoman

@tmarohl said...

Wondering where the Bucks would be if they would have acquired Point God rather than Holiday.

About where they are?

Booker and Ayton needed a butt kicking. Who do the Bucks have that isn’t playing up to their talent level? A lot of teams could use a season with Paul but Milwaukee wouldn’t be high on my list.

• SkateFiend

@tmarohl said...

Just about every major injury was the result of unusual contact, and nothing to do with overuse.

But these aren’t healthy players who just got hurt on freak plays. This is the second year Gianni is hurt in the playoffs.. CP3 either chokes or gets hurt in the playoffs although his issue this time is covid.

The point is that nba is soft, and people are taking notice. They’re chronically unfit or just break down more often on hard contact. They rest and rest and still their body can’t take the pressure.

The current obsession with long range shooting won’t help. If giannis and trae young are out long term – well, the 2002 final will have company.

• Yeoman

If I’ve got a $50 million asset that keeps breaking down, I’m probably shortening the duty cycle. I’m definitely not complaining that it’s “soft” and cutting corners on maintenance.

• tmarohl

It’s one thing if you have an overuse type of injury like a hamstring. It is another thing when the injury occurs because of landing on someones foot, landing weird, etc. both Giannis and Trae’s injuries fall into the second category.

• dominicanpapi

I don’t understand the soft label, never have. Are some of the injury stuff BS? Yes, especially the injury reports where players magically are out 5 minutes before tipoff. But these dudes are at the top 1% of their craft, put in a ton of work and miles on their body, and are still underpaid relative to what the owners and the league makes. If Kawhi has to sit B2Bs for the betterment of the team and deep playoff run, go for it. Championship > game in mid-January against the Sacramento Kings. Who cares? My only wish is that they are better with the injury reports b/c some days it got ridiculous.

• Pandamonious

• 2019 Blogger of the Month

@dominicanpapi said...

I don’t understand the soft label, never have. Are some of the injury stuff BS? Yes, especially the injury reports where players magically are out 5 minutes before tipoff. But these dudes are at the top 1% of their craft, put in a ton of work and miles on their body, and are still underpaid relative to what the owners and the league makes. If Kawhi has to sit B2Bs for the betterment of the team and deep playoff run, go for it. Championship > game in mid-January against the Sacramento Kings. Who cares? My only wish is that they are better with the injury reports b/c some days it got ridiculous.

Some players are willing to play through pain. Some aren’t. If you won’t play through pain, you’re soft.

They aren’t underpaid. That’s ridiculous. Most these franchises bring in about 250 million a year, give or take. If you’re making 30 million, before your endorsement deals and all the other fringe benefits of an NBA player, I think you’re getting paid pretty fairly.

Kawhi sat B2B’s, and still got hurt. Not a ringing endorsement for rest.

Regular season? Who cares? Exactly. If the league is going to go like this, cancel the regular season. Make a giant season long tournament. Every game matters. Buckle up.

Most these injuries happen for 2 reasons. They’re either freak things, beyond anyone’s control, or because they actually aren’t taking care of their bodies like they’re supposed to. So, all this the work they put in, miles on their body thing is mostly made up exaggeration.

• Njsum1

@Pandamonious said...

Most these injuries happen for 2 reasons. They’re either freak things, beyond anyone’s control, or because they actually aren’t taking care of their bodies like they’re supposed to. So, all this the work they put in, miles on their body thing is mostly made up exaggeration

A bit of a separate subject, yet there have been arguments made that these injuries have occurred due to the shortened/condensed season and quick turn around.

And the stats show that argument to be factually incorrect. There was actual less injuries this year, however they’re happening to bigger name players, which seems to be a random outlier, and as mentioned a lot of these injuries are kind of freak “basketball” injuries, not overuse or conditioning injuries.

The exception “could be” Hardens hammy. Harden clearly didn’t take care of himself in the off season to force a trade, and quite possibly the hammy went because of that, can’t be sure though.

• dominicanpapi

@Pandamonious said...

Some players are willing to play through pain. Some aren’t. If you won’t play through pain, you’re soft.

They aren’t underpaid. That’s ridiculous. Most these franchises bring in about 250 million a year, give or take. If you’re making 30 million, before your endorsement deals and all the other fringe benefits of an NBA player, I think you’re getting paid pretty fairly.

Kawhi sat B2B’s, and still got hurt. Not a ringing endorsement for rest.

Regular season? Who cares? Exactly. If the league is going to go like this, cancel the regular season. Make a giant season long tournament. Every game matters. Buckle up.

Most these injuries happen for 2 reasons. They’re either freak things, beyond anyone’s control, or because they actually aren’t taking care of their bodies like they’re supposed to. So, all this the work they put in, miles on their body thing is mostly made up exaggeration.

But how are we suppose to sit here and say they’re soft b/c they can’t play through pain? We have no idea what they’re going through, what type of pain they’re in etc. If it’s something ridiculous like PG sat up, got dizzy and can’t play, then yes, that’s BS. That’s ridiculous, but knee management in Kawhi’s case? If I’m not mistaken, it’s the same knee/area that has a degenerative condition. He still got hurt, but if you’re factoring in that his quad is f’d up, then it makes sense that he’s more than likely to injure some other part of of his knee/leg area. It’s the same thing with Cousins, dude tore his achilles, quad and knee all on the same leg. You’re just more susceptible to hurting one part of the body if it’s already gone through some shit.

When Lebron rejoined the Cavs, the Cavs value went up $400 million. 1 guy did that. Then it jumped another couple of million and are worth more than a billion dollars now. We’re not even taking into account sell out home games because of him, jersey and merch sales, local TV rights, etc etc. Mind you, I agree, these guys are getting paid a shit ton of money via endorsements, contracts, etc already and I’m not suggesting guys like Lebron make $100 million a year, don’t get me wrong, relative to what teams are valued at now and all the additional money they make, they’re underpaid. Jordan had to fight just to get those 1 year/$30 million contracts. That’s pennies compared to what they were making off his jersey alone.

Also regarding the work…honestly dude, we can’t sit here and say it’s not hard to make the NBA. It’s difficult. 1% of NCAA players make it to the NBA. 2% of NCAA football players make the NFL. The best hitter in baseball still only gets a hit 30% of the time. These guys didn’t just wake up one day and start hitting a ball or putting it through a basket. They’ve been at it for years, decades even.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).