MAIN FORUM

Comments

• chrisrplano34

I’ve been trying to figure out a strategy or just a process for building 20 lineups for a tournament but I just get really confused and have questions. How many players should I typically want in my player pool? How do you determine min/max exposures? Do the exposures need to add up to a certain number? What projected ownership should I aim for? I’d really appreciate if anyone could answer some of my questions.

• shockermandan

There is absolutely no right answer to this. I usually run 4-5 QBs with exposures between 10-30% each, but some people are more aggressive.

1. Do some searching of the forum as this is a pretty common question. Also here is a video from RG: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXuXtK29O8g
    2. 20 entries isn’t really that many, so I wouldn’t overthink your exposures and percentages
    3. After the lineup builder makes your lineups, review the output, check into what players may be a bit off on exposures and eliminate any players that are in there that you don’t want, rinse and repeat 2 or 3 times
    4. Review each of the 20 lineups individually either before you edit your entries or after. I’d say before because the UI of RG’s lineup builder is better than the UI of DK’s lineup page. Think about correlation plays (QB/WR, Game Stack, etc…). There are settings in the builder to accomplish these objectives but with only 20 lineups I would take the time to review them.
    5. ?
    6. Profit

• monarch

I do something similar. I narrow my QB pool to 4 or 5. I set rules in my optimizer for at least one WR/TE from the same team and one WR/TE from the opposing team. I will let the optimizer spit out way more than I need then I will identify my favorite four or five then repeat the process for my next QB stack until I get the 20 lineups I like.

• chrisrplano34

Do you add secondary or a third stack? I feel like my lineups have been way too correlated, not sure if thats a good or bad thing.

• Pandamonious

• Ranked #51

RG Tiered Ranking

• 2020 Blogger of the Month

Pick out 3 or 4 games, and build around them.

Like last week, you may have decided to build around

CLE/CIN
    ARI/SEA
    GB/HOU
    DET/ATL

Then, you might build up a pool of one-offs. Identify guys in good spots (match-up, increased usage from injuries), and or underpriced, but the game as a whole doesn’t seem that worthwhile.

Example 1 would be someone like Kamara or a Dionte Johnson for example 2.

You also may then fall into some mini-stacks naturally, that aren’t really build arounds. Like if you played Kamara, maybe you correlated it with DJ Moore or Robby Anderson.

Back to the first part though:

By identifying high total, shootout games you want to target, you’ve automatically built the main portion of your builds and player pool. Then determine how much exposure to each game, based on the level at which you favor it.

So, if SEA/ARI was you’re favorite game, you’d determine you want X amount of Murray builds. Then determine how many, if any Wilson builds you want. You may decide since this is my favorite game, you’ll build 6 main stacks with it. You may go Murray/Hopkins/Kirk/Carson, then Murray/Hopkins/Kirk/Lockett then a Murray/Hopkins/Lockett, and a Murray/Kirk/Carson and so on.

You then can fill out the holes in the line ups, with pieces of your other favorite games. Or pull from your one offs.

Nothing wrong with your line ups being heavily correlated. They just need to be the right correlations.

• shockermandan

@chrisrplano34 said...

Do you add secondary or a third stack? I feel like my lineups have been way too correlated, not sure if thats a good or bad thing.

The times I have tried I didn’t like the output and wound up spending more time tweaking the exposures than I could’ve just made lineups by hand… I’m sure I could get the hang of it but for 20 lineups, which is usually about what I do for football, I haven’t made the effort.

^ Pandamonious’ response is quite good.

• jopke

This is my first post here. I’ll be happy to throw in with you. I’m five NFL slates in at this point. I’m working from home playing slates every day if I can. Even EL, because I luckboxed a ticket week 1 and I might as well learn it.

I signed on here because I like the approach and, I’ve been seeing these f’ing RG logos all over me in these slates, ahead quite often.

I’m hand-building 20 to max the DK quarter jukebox. Really I’m just playing to gain information, and writing my losses off as tuition.

I didn’t score highly enough with my LU’s to beat Sister Theresa’s eighth graders over at the parochial school, let alone touch the scores I saw.

Found my way to GPP pretty quickly. I’m a long time cash poker player because I try to minimize variance. Took me two slates to see cash DFS on DK is going to drain my starting deposit PDQ. OK, I am going to have to play DFS tournament style. (I’ve confirmed my cash suspicions watching the SSMIT presentations)

I cast a pretty wide net in the QJB last Sunday. Trying to reduce variance again.

Next week I’m taking what I’ve learned to heart. I’m playing to win it, not place. I’m going leaner based around the chalk news I pick up over the course of the week. I’ll take the swings. I doubt I’ll rise above the $5 max GPP for a while and I don’t expect to be able to beat it for a while.

I understand that games are better as the min bet goes up. That’s the nature of gambling. I’m taking my lumps small. Then I’ll move up to the Slant or something when I feel I’m set to win.

All lineups are a single version of an LU that can win. Each one is a rifle bullet. It’s made to avoid the chalk and take down the win. Most of them are going to miss badly. When that one bullet hits the bull’s eye, the payout is enough to put you into positive territory.

One problem is, how do you know your process is working, if you’re losing? Look at the LU’s of the winners. Compare to yours. How does this LU indicate a point where this player went right and I went wrong? Did they get lucky or did they take into account the weather and the fact DEN plays well against TEs? I played Kelce disregarding the first and not knowing the second. Maybe I would have discounted that stat, but I sure has hell would not have played the weight on Kelce I did.

I also said to hell with NO D, I’m playing Mike Davis again. That was dumb. Throwing in Lamb with no correlation at all because I wanted some of DAL desperation was dumb. That really hurt me, my small piece of Lamb.

So, in that QJB some people got lucky with smash scores. 246 took it down I believe? A score right up there with the Milly.

I know I did not get unlucky. I didn’t help myself bringing a shotgun to a rifle contest. I’ll be working on it.

Getting beat doesn’t necessarily mean you were wrong. That’s a fundamental lesson of poker. But if you just assume you were right, and got unlucky, you are headed to Broke Town without a return ticket.

I’ll keep paying tuition, taking lumps and evaluating my leaks. Then I’ll put in some serious B/R and start punching in a higher class.

• chrisrplano34

Really appreciate the tips man

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).