Oakland at Arizona—10:00ET

Saturday August 13th

Seattle at Kansas City—4:30ET
    Indianapolis at Buffalo—7:00ET
    Dallas at Los Angeles—8:00ET
    San Diego at Tennessee—8:00ET

Sunday August 14th

Houston at San Francisco—7:00ET

Let’s get the discussion going. I see a lot of really good value plays at $5500 on DraftKings. I’m calling it right now, the winner of the $3 GPP will have exactly $500 in salary left over.

Who do you guys like? I’ll have an article up later about how to research plus my thought on GB/IND (fade) and then another article next week breaking down the Thursday slate.

I’m guessing DK will do SUN-THU, THU-Only, FRI-Only (already posted), SAT-Only and probably nothing for the Sunday game. Sorry, HOU/SF fans.

P.S. Don’t forget that FantasyDraft is offering preseason starting on Thursday and hopefully we can talk a few of the other sites into running contests as well.

• mchin1027

Why is GB/IND a fade? I get that these teams play 5 preseason games but wouldn’t the players in this game get the same amount of run as the players in the other games?

New to this, sorry if obvious.

• bolu

@mchin1027 said...

Why is GB/IND a fade? I get that these teams play 5 preseason games but wouldn’t the players in this game get the same amount of run as the players in the other games?

There aren’t enough players missing. You want players that will get more time instead of the same as the other teams. Look for situations where there are a lot of injuries and some players being rested. Indy is a fade with Pagano saying he’ll give his starters some snaps. Green Bay might only play two quarterbacks, but I think better options will pop up by Thursday.

• sethayates

@mchin1027 said...

I cover this in the article that I wrote which will be out soon. I’ll post a snippet here though. It’s not a complete fade, but you should take it easy on how many players you select.

Green Bay plays Indianapolis in the HOF game. The game is taking place on a neutral field in Canton, Ohio. Both teams in this game will play five preseason games while every other team plays only four. While an extra game is great for evaluating talent, many of the players and coaches hate being involved. As of point of reference, here is the box score from last year’s HOF game. The Steelers beat the Vikings 14-3 in a game that featured just 429 total yards. Landry Jones was the only QB who took a snap for the Steelers and he finished 15/32 for 128 yards and an interception. If you avoided every single player from this game, all you really missed out on was Vikings backup TE MyCole Pruitt catching 4 passes for 51 yards and a touchdown. Every other player on both side finished with less than 10 DK points (including the QBs).

If you want to go back two years to the 2014 HOF game, here is the box score. The Giants beat the Bills 17-13. A few players were able to surpass 10 DK points but the important thing to note is the Giants ran the ball 38 times and passed 22. The Bills ran 21 and passed 40. Why the discrepancy you ask? The Giants knew Eli Manning would be their QB Week 1. They just wanted to grind the clock out and get out of Canton injury- free. The Bills were trying to decide on a QB, so they gave Thad Lewis and Jeff Tuel 17 passes each while EJ Manuel threw 7. The point I’m trying to make here is that the HOF game is usually a bust for fantasy purposes.

Many of your opponents are going to load up on players from this game. The right move is to take no one from this game and use the late-swap feature to set your lineups next Thursday once we know more about those games. Based on past history, it is unlikely you’ll regret fading this game. Even if someone does have a great game, there will be players with similar upside available next Thursday.

• mchin1027

Great stuff, thanks for that.

• bolu

Green Bay has better options, but they have the lowest team total. I don’t think a Green Bay QB playing at least the first half would be a terrible choice, but there are 6 games on Thursday including Ravens, Saints, and Patriots. Those teams only have three quarterbacks on the roster. It’s very unlikely that Brees, Flacco, and Brady all play. Jimmy Garoppolo could get starter treatment and not play much either.

Green Bay is missing Nelson and Montgomery at WR and Cobb could be rested opening up some playing time.

• sethayates

@bolu said...

Green Bay has better options, but they have the lowest team total. I don’t think a Green Bay QB playing at least the first half would be a terrible choice, but there are 6 games on Thursday including Ravens, Saints, and Patriots. Those teams only have three quarterbacks on the roster. It’s very unlikely that Brees, Flacco, and Brady all play. Jimmy Garoppolo could get starter treatment and not play much either.

Green Bay is missing Nelson and Montgomery at WR and Cobb could be rested opening up some playing time.

Green Bay is down to just Dan Callahan and Marquise Williams at QB. You are correct there is some value there in getting an entire half. You also nailed the situations I like better at first glance. The Broncos QB situation will also be interesting with Mark Sanchez competing with Seimian for the starting job. I’ll need to see what the coaches say between now and thrusday on those.

As far as the Packers WRs, they have 12 on the roster but the three you mentioned won’t play. I could see maybe taking a shot at Janis, Abberderis or Allison but I won’t have a lot of exposure (if any).

• Genghis_Khan

RG Overall Ranking

@sethayates said...

Many of your opponents are going to load up on players from this game.

Agree with most of your analysis, but I think this point is moot and doesn’t translate well from a regular season Thursday fade, as the people doing this are very likely to be the same fish who are rostering Aaron Rodgers and Todd Gurley in the preseason, and can thus be wholly disregarded. They’ve lost already.

• sethayates

@Genghis_Khan said...

Agree with most of your analysis, but I think this point is moot and doesn’t translate well from a regular season Thursday fade, as the people doing this are very likely to be the same fish who are rostering Aaron Rodgers and Todd Gurley in the preseason, and can thus be wholly disregarded. They’ve lost already.

From what I remember last year the HOF game was way over-owned. You were buying Steelers and Vikings at 20-30% when you could get the same opportunity at 5-10% elsewhere. People over-used HOF game players because that’s the only game they had any information about. It’s not like the average user knows which backups to select for a preseason game that doesn’t start for five more days. There is a large percent of users on DK who just don’t understand late swap and how to use it to your advantage.

• Genghis_Khan

RG Overall Ranking

@sethayates said...

From what I remember last year the HOF game was way over-owned. You were buying Steelers and Vikings at 20-30% when you could get the same opportunity at 5-10% elsewhere. People over-used HOF game players because that’s the only game they had any information about. It’s not like the average user knows which backups to select for a preseason game that doesn’t start for five more days. There is a large percent of users on DK who just don’t understand late swap and how to use it to your advantage.

Cool, thanks for the info/reply.

• Stangs13

I also remember in week 1 of the preseason Adrian Peterson was almost 30% owned. I think entering Sunday-Thursdays tournaments will present a huge advantage to those that dont play like idiots.

• Frustrated

Chester Rogers is the only player I’m considering having. Insiders have been talking him up all summer long and he is pretty high up the depth chart. He’ll be someone to keep in mind all preseason long.

• Genghis_Khan

RG Overall Ranking

@Frustrated said...

Chester Rogers is the only player I’m considering having. Insiders have been talking him up all summer long and he is pretty high up the depth chart. He’ll be someone to keep in mind all preseason long.

Quiet, you.

• Genghis_Khan

RG Overall Ranking

@sethayates said...

FRI-Only (already posted),

That’s, oddly, for 8/26, not this Friday. For one freeroll, reservation only. At least that’s what my lobby is showing.

• SwedishFishy

I’m still convinced that it’s an okay move to roster a stud WR1 during the preseason games even if starters are only going to be playing a couple series/a quarter. WR is such a crapshoot. If you know Julio Jones is going to be only the first quarter, he’s still got a better chance of going 5/50/1 than most of the WR5/6/7s that got looks from QB3.

• KindGuy

@SwedishFishy said...

I’m still convinced that it’s an okay move to roster a stud WR1 during the preseason games even if starters are only going to be playing a couple series/a quarter. WR is such a crapshoot. If you know Julio Jones is going to be only the first quarter, he’s still got a better chance of going 5/50/1 than most of the WR5/6/7s that got looks from QB3.

Very true. I’ll take 1 quarter of Julio Jones over 2-3 quarters of some scrub on the bubble of the foster. 4 quarters of scrubs isn’t bad but 2-3? I’ll take the stud all day.

• adnoble

@elementasrat said...

Very true. I’ll take 1 quarter of Julio Jones over 2-3 quarters of some scrub on the bubble of the foster. 4 quarters of scrubs isn’t bad but 2-3? I’ll take the stud all day.

true, But not week 1 though. They may have a series tops.

• archieadams

As a counter-point to the offenses being bad targets in the HOF game, are the defenses worth rostering?

• skeeter1114

• Blogger of the Month

Well, we may as well start (or continue from Seth’s write up) with names familiar to us from NCAA DFS: Thoughts on Tyler Higbee for the Rams? I think I saw something that he was running with the 1s.

• bonuscash

• 2019 DraftKings FBWC Finalist

• x2

2014 FAFC Finalist

If were going off vegas odds, they don’t treat the HOF game any different from the rest of the preseason games. In general, defense is a crap shoot but choose a home team. Maybe target a QB3/4 that you think is horrible.

• joshshafe

What is the thought on Cameron Brate at TE for the Bucs? I have heard nothing but praise for this guy, even over Seferian-Jenkins, but how would a situation like this normally translate to preseason play? The stuff I’m reading almost sounds like they want him to be the guy at TE this year, but I have no idea how this will be taken into account during the preseason.

• Tammy409

@joshshafe said...

What is the thought on Cameron Brate at TE for the Bucs? I have heard nothing but praise for this guy, even over Seferian-Jenkins, but how would a situation like this normally translate to preseason play? The stuff I’m reading almost sounds like they want him to be the guy at TE this year, but I have no idea how this will be taken into account during the preseason.

I believe Grate to be a good player; but they are Always publically browbeating ASJ and no matter how badly he f”*is up (remember that goal line penalty on TNF?), he“s always right back on the field. That doesn’t answer your question; but I believe the starting job is more secure than it sounds, so maybe Brate does get the greater share of preseason snaps Wk1.

• Genghis_Khan

RG Overall Ranking

@Tammy409 said...

he“s always right back on the field.

He’s been off the field during 1st team reps for days.

• flip4flop

If anyone is in Philly and looking for pre season tickets I may be giving mine away this Thursday if you live in the area and want to go for free.

• stubbysooner77

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #74

RG Tiered Ranking

• 2015 DraftKings FCFWC Finalist

So, Rodgers and Hundley won’t play which leaves Joe Callahan and Marquis Williams as qb options. Luck and the first team Indy offense will get 1-2 series. The key to preseason NFL is opportunity. You don’t want to ever roster first string guys week 1 because they won’t play. Same goes for last week of preseason. Weeks 2-3 are the times you want to roster top guys as their playing time will increase exponentially.
    For the hall of fame game I generally agree it’s a fade; however, I do have some interest in the Green Bay qb’s as they should each get a half. Also, I’ve got interest in Jeff Janis as the guy should get tons of reps due to injuries in the GB wide receiver core. Abbedaris (sp?) might be worth a look. Also Chester Rodgers is in play. One more point on fading the hall of fame game. Simple math. Teams that play on Thursday will have 3 more practice days to put in their systems. I realize it’s a basic point but the hall of fame teams are behind the eight ball in this aspect.
    I’ve only started researching the Thursday night games. I might have one team with a couple of players from HOF and another where they are completely faded..

• stubbysooner77

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #74

RG Tiered Ranking

• 2015 DraftKings FCFWC Finalist

Not a bad idea rostering HOF defenses. As an aside, when you roster d’s in preseason, look for teams with awesome starting quarterbacks and shitty backups. Dallas for example, has usually been a good team to target.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Use our links to sign up and deposit on sites listed in this thread to get these bonuses:

• FanDuel

Get 1-month of RotoGrinders Premium for FREE (a ~$40value) by signing up through one of our links!

Learn More
  • DraftKings

Sign up for DraftKings using a RotoGrinders link & receive our DraftKings Premium content FREE for 1 month. That’s a ~$40 value! No DraftKings promo code necessary!

Learn More
  • FantasyDraft

FantasyDraft strives to put players first, with a mission to “provide a fun and fair experience for all.” To this end, the site has a well-built, easy-to-use interface and a the first of its kind in offering “Rake-Free” fantasy contests.

Learn More

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week. Our goal is to help all of our members make more money playing daily fantasy sports!

Bet with your head, not over it!
Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-Gambler