• thehazyone

RG Contributor

• Blogger of the Month

I don’t play preseason but just wanted to pop in and say hello to CG

• CleverGroom

@thehazyone said...

I don’t play preseason but just wanted to pop in and say hello to CG

Hayyyyyy!

Ominous reports from NYG and CAR’s backup QBs yesterday. Still like the idea of BUF DST, but CLE is interesting too.

• Kylerusher

When will the beat writers start releasing how much these guys will play

• Kylerusher

I see reports that say Mayfield is going to play a half Thursday. The problem with that to me is Jackson is coming out and saying tyrod is going to play 2-3 series so in other words a quarter. He also says he expects to play Stanton, which you think would be about another quarter. They have 4 qbs on the roster and you would think that roback would get some playing time as well in the first preseason game. I’m betting it’s closer to a quarter for Mayfield personally. Im sure he will be the highest owned player in the slate. Any merit to fading?

• bjacksonibew

Mason Rudolph anyone? They not going to play Ben, they know what they have in landry and dobbs Rudolph for 3 quarters and dobbs with 1 maybe? Stack him with his #1 Wr he had at OSU James Washington and a bonus Trey Griffey, Ken Griffey Jr.s son ;)

• jtkucheck

From Panthers beat writer:

“Sounds like Cam will play a series or so and then Gilbert is next up. Rivera also wants to give Gilbert some reps with the ones. He said he does want to see Heinicke get equal time as well, though I’m not certain the first team offense will be in for that.”

• AM1129

Any thoughts on Nate Sudfeld or Joe Callahan from Philly? I don’t expect to see Wentz or Foles play very much since they are locked in at QB1 and QB2. Sudfeld played 40 snaps in Week 17 and was decent. Could see both of these guys get plenty of opportunities this week.

• dbullsfan

@bjacksonibew said...

Mason Rudolph anyone? They not going to play Ben, they know what they have in landry and dobbs Rudolph for 3 quarters and dobbs with 1 maybe? Stack him with his #1 Wr he had at OSU James Washington and a bonus Trey Griffey, Ken Griffey Jr.s son ;)

I’ve thought about Rudolph and Washington just curious if that becomes chalky or not, if anything can really be chalky in preseason

• Stewburtx8

• 2012 FanDuel WFBC Finalist

@AM1129 said...

Any thoughts on Nate Sudfeld or Joe Callahan from Philly? I don’t expect to see Wentz or Foles play very much since they are locked in at QB1 and QB2. Sudfeld played 40 snaps in Week 17 and was decent. Could see both of these guys get plenty of opportunities this week.

Foles is currently dealing with muscles spasms in his neck. Doubt he plays on Thursday. Wentz will not play at all this preseason I do not believe.

I would expect Sudfeld to play at least a half on Thursday, and possibly into the 3rd quarter. The Eagles really like him. Callahan would then finish up the game.

• AM1129

@Stewburtx8 said...

Foles is currently dealing with muscles spasms in his neck. Doubt he plays on Thursday. Wentz will not play at all this preseason I do not believe.

I would expect Sudfeld to play at least a half on Thursday, and possibly into the 3rd quarter. The Eagles really like him. Callahan would then finish up the game.

Thanks for the input, I was thinking Sudfeld would be a fairly safe bet for at least 2 quarters.

….as safe as a bet can be in Week 1 preseason that is.

• bignoseddago

Anyone like Pumphrey at RB or one of the Colts rookies?

• flip4flop

@bignoseddago said...

Anyone like Pumphrey at RB or one of the Colts rookies?

Id love to see some Nyhiem Hines can do especially if he is returning kicks/punts

• ItzJamesFTW

QB: Mayfield, Sudfeld, Kizer, Rudolph

RB: Webb, Hines, Wadley, Mostert, Wilson, Ballage, Samuels, Kelly

WR: Richie James, Kumerow, Wims, Coates, White, Washington, McEvoy, Smith, Morgan

TE: Ian Thomas, Hollister, Gathers, Dart throws

QB safest are Mayfield and Sudfeld right now as they have been reported to have the most playtime.

I think Ralph Webb gets run with NE this week. They know what they have in Gillslee, Hill, and Bolden and probably try to work out that roster spot in weeks 2-4, not now.

Titans only carrying 5 RB as it seems, Lewis/Henry won’t play much. Wadley should be in a decent spot.

Wilson/Mostert are just camp hype picks… Samuels a swiss army knife of a weapon.

Trent Taylor probably wont play so Richie James should have a ton of time in the slot. Kumerow has been one of Rodgers favorite weapons in camp (not that Rodgers will be playing but).. Packers have 3-4 WR spots open, so their WR competition will be great all preseason.. Could see some more passing too as they try to work it out. Wims looked good in HOF game, likely will match with Bray again. Coates best veteran who should see high snaps as he tries to make team in HOU. James Washington is an excitiing rookie.. Not sure how much run he gets but probably as good as any other choice. McEvoy got a bunch of run last preseason could see it again. Same with Drew Morgan. TreQuan Smith another hype play.

• jtkucheck

@ItzJamesFTW said...

WR: Richie James, Kumerow, Wims, Coates, White, Washington, McEvoy, Smith, Morgan

Pettis?

• ItzJamesFTW

@jtkucheck said...

Pettis?

I think Pettis is fine player.. But in week one I usually will target the guys who likely won’t make the team or need huge performances to do so, as they normally will see more snaps. Pettis is a roster lock and though he definitely will play I just don’t think he out-snaps James. But it is still Tuesday.. Won’t be able to say anything definitive until Thursday. A bunch of news will roll in the next two days.

• jtkucheck

@ItzJamesFTW said...

I think Pettis is fine player.. But in week one I usually will target the guys who likely won’t make the team or need huge performances to do so, as they normally will see more snaps. Pettis is a roster lock and though he definitely will play I just don’t think he out-snaps James. But it is still Tuesday.. Won’t be able to say anything definitive until Thursday. A bunch of news will roll in the next two days.

Was more thinking that since Taylor is likely out, he’ll get more return duty than he otherwise would. Also, beat writers have been talking up Pettis ability to play both in the slot and back up Garcon on more vertical routes, so that in and of itself might mean more opportunity.

Or maybe I’m just being a Niners homer and Pettis-phile.

• ItzJamesFTW

@jtkucheck said...

Was more thinking that since Taylor is likely out, he’ll get more return duty than he otherwise would. Also, beat writers have been talking up Pettis ability to play both in the slot and back up Garcon on more vertical routes, so that in and of itself might mean more opportunity.

Or maybe I’m just being a Niners homer and Pettis-phile.

Nah it’s definitely good information. This first week is a ton to digest.

• CleverGroom

@Kylerusher said...

I see reports that say Mayfield is going to play a half Thursday. The problem with that to me is Jackson is coming out and saying tyrod is going to play 2-3 series so in other words a quarter. He also says he expects to play Stanton, which you think would be about another quarter. They have 4 qbs on the roster and you would think that roback would get some playing time as well in the first preseason game. I’m betting it’s closer to a quarter for Mayfield personally. Im sure he will be the highest owned player in the slate. Any merit to fading?

Remember that each team is almost certain to play 2-4 QBs. We’re talking over 60 QBs who’ll take snaps. Mayfield is an especially good option, but the field is obviously a better bet to produce the top-scorer.

Baker Mayfield is one of my favorite QBs here. I do think he’ll get 1.5-2 quarters, and reports from camp should be good. The downside, as you pointed out, is that he’ll actually be owned. He’s one of the only QBs who could reasonably get 2 quarters of snaps and ownership from squares.

There’s any number of ways Mayfield could fail. Maybe he gets a confidence-building TD on his first drive and Hue chickens out. Or maybe he throws 2 INTs and Hue chickens out—the man is not exactly known for his resolute commitment to a QB. Maybe all the scoring in the second half comes from non-Mayfield carries or field goals.

The QBs I’m focused on are DeShone Kizer, Brett Hundley, Brian Hoyer, and Danny Etling. Mason Rudolph and Nate Sudfeld are interesting for reasons already mentioned, but I’d put them a bit behind the others.

My read from Packers beat reports is that Kizer and Hundley split the game. Hundley will start, pitting him against the tougher defensive lineup. Kizer focused on 2-minute work today. McCarthy definitely views him as the new project, so I wonder if there’s not a chance he comes in late in the 2nd quarter and plays a bit more than a half.

Both Kizer and Hundley are excellent runners. If Kizer’s out there with the 3s in the 2nd half, he’s likely to be the best athlete on the field. Both of them have started significant NFL games, and Kizer’s even been consistently viable in fantasy, despite his warts.

Hoyer easily could be the best QB to receive 2 quarters of playing time. He’ll be playing at home for a Patriots team that has plenty to learn about their receivers. There’s zero shot that Brady plays in this one, so it’s literally just him and Etling competing for snaps.

My read on Etling is he’s been uneven, but decent in camp. I’d say he’s likelier to get the most snaps but obviously Hoyer’s a significantly better player. I don’t expect a big difference in their reps either way.

• lightninglarry

• Ranked #50

RG Tiered Ranking

Never played preseason DFS before. More of an edge in gpp or cash?

• CleverGroom

@ItzJamesFTW said...

What’s your take on the TEN WR room?

Basically I have Darius Jennings and Michael Campanero installed as likely WR5/6. Maybe they only keep five, but entering camp those are the guys they would’ve been happy to keep, if they have room.

Meanwhile you’ve got Deontay Burnett and Devin Ross showing out in camp. Clearly guys who should be cut or signed to the practice squad, unless they continue to rise.

HC Mike Vrabel said “he’s “excited” to see Ross play on Thursday. Burnett is still out-snapping Ross despite an apparent injury over the last couple days, but there’s a possibility Burnett’s game reps wind up limited.

So first, any quibbles with those facts?

Second, how do you play this if that’s your read? Play Ross > Burnett, and skip Jennings and Campanero?

Would love to repeat the exercise with GB’s WRs. Very interesting game.

• CleverGroom

@ItzJamesFTW said...

RB: Webb, Hines, Wadley, Mostert, Wilson, Ballage, Samuels, Kelly

Totally agree on Akrum Wadley and Ralph Webb.

I’m curious what your read is on SF’s backfield.

Raheem Mostert already has a roster spot if only for special teams, right?

What do you think happens with Joe Williams? I liked that Shanahan called him out recently. Williams has been talking the talk for his part. I like the upside if not the floor.

Isn’t the only open question whether Williams, Jeff Wilson, or Jeremy McNichols can make the team? That has me wanting to see Williams most of all, but it’s a congested backfield relative to some of our other options.

At TE, what has you still hoping for Rico Gathers to produce? He’s having a horrible camp and they haven’t liked him from the start. I can see why that’s reason enough for him to take more reps than someone like Blake Jarwin, who’s been nothing short of a delight, but it’s not like any TE is lined up for good volume. I’m inclined to trust Jarwin more.

I really want to believe Jacob Hollister gets the looks. You think there’s enough of a question between him, Will Tye, and Ryan Izzo that he’ll get work?

• Dunzor

@lightninglarry said...

there really is no “safe” play for cash so it kinda feels like every thing is a GPP mindset for pre-season. personally I wouldn’t bother with cash games but could see doing triple or quintuple ups if you want something flatter than a normal gpp

• CleverGroom

@Dunzor said...

there really is no “safe” play for cash so it kinda feels like every thing is a GPP mindset for pre-season. personally I wouldn’t bother with cash games but could see doing triple or quintuple ups if you want something flatter than a normal gpp

The main exception I’d make is scooping any rookie H2Hs you might find in the lobbies. I played a chap in the HoF game who had 0 from every player on his roster except Lamar Jackson.

• KindGuy

@lightninglarry said...

I’d say the edge is everywhere. Probably the most edge of any sport besides preseason NBA.

• kdsdawg

@CleverGroom said...

The main exception I’d make is scooping any rookie H2Hs you might find in the lobbies.

how do you know who is a rookie…I mean other than picking on me…

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).