• bhdevault

• Lead Moderator

• Blogger of the Month

5:35 PM :  Pittsburgh ( 105 ) at  Philadelphia ( -125 ) —- T: 6u-20
    7:05 PM :  Montreal ( 120 ) at  Toronto ( -140 ) —- T: 6o-20
    8:05 PM :  Chicago ( 220 ) at  Tampa Bay ( -250 ) —- T: 6½u-20
    10:05 PM :  Vancouver ( -110 ) at  Edmonton ( -110 ) —- T: 5½o-25
    10:35 PM :  St. Louis ( 115 ) at  Colorado ( -135 ) —- T: 5½o-20

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – NHL strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterday’s games will be moved to yesterday’s NHL thread. Any off topic posts, troll posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted. While the use of GIF’s are acceptable, content must be posted along with them.

• ImADonk11

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #13

RG Tiered Ranking

@Felixxberg said...

I build my lineups by hand, so I can’t answer regarding Lineup HQ.

For my stacks, I almost always just pick my favorite lines and mix them all together. 20 lineups would mean 7 lines. If you mix them all together, it adds up to 21 lineups, so you have to decide which one you don’t enter. If there are power lines, you won’t be able to mix them with other power lines. You can mix them with low owned punt lines instead.

I realized during the offseason that a typical 3-3 stack makes it near impossible to win a GPP, because everyone does that. You would need to get lucky with the Ds. A better way to differentiate is by fading one guy and replacing him with a one-off. You could also play a D one-off in the UTIL spot. That would make you different enough.

OK thanks. Sounds like I will set it so I don’t get any 3-3. Only 3-2, or 2-2 or whatever as long as I am correlating enough but none of the 3-3 builds. Looking forward to this. I keep seeing Hoffman and these other cheapies being mentioned. Maybe rotate one of them in all my LUs as one offs or cheap D?

• zovyn

@ImADonk11 said...

OK thanks. Sounds like I will set it so I don’t get any 3-3. Only 3-2, or 2-2 or whatever as long as I am correlating enough but none of the 3-3 builds. Looking forward to this. I keep seeing Hoffman and these other cheapies being mentioned. Maybe rotate one of them in all my LUs as one offs or cheap D?

(standard disclaimer – I am F/D only and Single-LU-per-Slate)

You don’t have to get locked into a 3-3/3-2 mindset for builds if you’re looking at only stacking lines from a particular team. Depending on how you’re looking at it. Correlation exists for PP lines as well – for example, MacKinnon+Kadri came up in optimal lineups on more than one occasion last season though they center two different lines.

One-offs and cheap W/D punts will often give you the salary needed to stack those big lines (TB1, COL1, EDM1, PIT1, etc) – and it doesn’t necessarily make sense to jam in a cheap W or D on a top line simply because they skate with the players you like. Kassian, for example, consistently posts a low stat line despite getting a lot of ice-time with two of the best scorers in the NHL. Also, a lot of those ‘punt’ D on these top lines are the one guy that hangs back and isn’t involved while the rest of the line is pushing it towards the net.

It’s definitely easiest to pick two specific lines you like and stack them but just like other sports there are always going to be one-off players in valuable good spots that should be considered. Hoffman is likely one of them tonight based on all the metrics I’ve seen so far.

I really don’t worry much (if at all) about Ownership% and “chalk” on any NHL slate with more than 3 games on it. The variance is dramatically easier to achieve considering the #5 D/W player on almost any team can go off on any night in the right situation and matchup as opposed to NBA/MLB/NFL where randomly digging deep generally won’t reward you.

**Quick tip in case you haven’t seen it/heard it – very generally speaking look at L1 more for home teams and L2 more for road teams.

• zovyn

I’d also like to echo the sentiment on RG’s poor NHL offerings. Hell, the Starting Lineups page doesn’t even have game odds listed.

**Quick tip#2 – on FD make sure you check your lineups before lock and make sure your early start-time game picks are in your C/W/D slots instead of your UTIL slots so you have more flexibility for late swaps as needed!

• Felixxberg

• 2019 DraftKings FGWC Finalist

• 2019 DraftKings FHWC Finalist

@ImADonk11 said...

I keep seeing Hoffman and these other cheapies being mentioned.

Hoffman is a straight up misprice. If you rank players by last season’s FPPG, you’ll see that he should be around $6.2K, not $3.2K. DK’s algorithm glitched or something, but we won’t see that every slate. When that happens, I’m always overweight on the guy. He could get a 0, but the opportunity is too good to pass. There’s no such thing as a free square in NHL, but he’s close enough.

• Felixxberg

• 2019 DraftKings FGWC Finalist

• 2019 DraftKings FHWC Finalist

@zovyn said...

**Quick tip#2 – on FD make sure you check your lineups before lock and make sure your early start-time game picks are in your C/W/D slots instead of your UTIL slots so you have more flexibility for late swaps as needed!

Same on DK with the UTIL spot!

• ryanprzy

DailyFaceoff is getting the hug of death from the DFS crowd

• zovyn

@ryanprzy said...

DailyFaceoff is getting the hug of death from the DFS crowd

Yeah, it seems that they’re minor re-vamping of their pages with embedded videos and spam-links under the surface is causing some major bandwidth issues. It’s not cool.

• yisman

@Felixxberg said...

You’re having a hard time with promotions! I entered in time.

no, I did manage to get it in. I originally played the re-gen but e-mailed and they told me, so I had to withdraw my entries and get them in to the big one just before it filled.

• Steverino01

Just tinkered with my lineup and now have a 2-2-1-1. Going after those last two games, the late night hammers baby! I am an Avs fan though, so of course I’ve got to have some of them.

• OttawaCityMadman

Allmost ready. This is what fun is. Crunching hockey lineups together!

FelixX, any Hab fan insight on Romanov? Im seeing not much offensive upside, but Im wondering what kind of TOI he is looking at? I am guessing 12-14mins but pp2 helps.

• RandysCrow

• Ranked #41

RG Tiered Ranking

So NBA teams trading a decades worth of picks, the House impeaches….and hockey starts in 20 minutes….

• TJF74

It’s good to be back. Good luck everybody. Playing all one-offs and hunting for goals tonight. I think many lineups will include Matthews and McDavid. The key will be hitting on the defensemen.

• gairz

Kapanen and Gostisbehere are both ineligible tonight because of the NHL’s COVID Protocol.

• BIF

@RandysCrow said...

So NBA teams trading a decades worth of picks, the House impeaches….and hockey starts in 20 minutes….

Interestingly I only care about the last factoid

• ImADonk11

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #13

RG Tiered Ranking

OK this is much harder than I thought using Lineup HQ and it is too late to jam in hand builders. I think my rules/stacks make sense but I guess we will see. All I know is I am a Caps fan and Holtby was awful so I have so much EDM 1 and 2 with bring backs of various VAN stacks as I understand their PP was solid. Who knows but I look forward to it. Also no TOR 1, no PITT at all and not too heavy on TB who I presume will be insanely owned. I look forward to sweating this with you all!

• NextSignal

I’ve got way too much Carter Hart considering he’s not even playing yet. Philly really considering Brian Elliott? What year is this?

Annnnd confirmed, along with Jarry.

• BIF

@NextSignal said...

I’ve got way too much Carter Hart considering he’s not even playing yet. Philly really considering Brian Elliott? What year is this?

Hart is in based on DFO’s goalies

• Canuckage

Let’s get a forum bink tonight! Hopefully everyone will get a fun sweat til the end

• gairz

@NextSignal said...

Game 1 lines & pairings as expected:

Lindblom-Couturier-Konecny
    Giroux-Hayes-Farabee
    van Riemsdyk-Patrick-Voracek
    Raffl-Laughton-Aube-Kubel

Provorov-Braun
    Sanheim-Myers
    Hägg-Gustafsson

Hart

• OttawaCityMadman

@RandysCrow said...

Levert and JAllen were in my core tonight! lol

• yisman

RobTheHockeyGuy
    ·
    3h
    With hockey media typically not travelling to road games this season, we’re going to need local spies in every rink. Travis Green refusing to name his starting goalie (which is normal), but usually there are watchful eyes in the stands to see which goalie came off the ice first.

• Zieg30

RG Overall Ranking

• 2018 DraftKings FGWC Finalist

Good luck all! Very excited to begin the season!

• Steverino01

Good Luck Everyone!

• zovyn

Note: Suter (CHI) has shifted from earlier projections of L1 PP1 to L2 PP2. Still a value but no longer as good imo. Hoglander a much better play at the same $3.0k FD salary.

Only pointing this out because I was touting Suter in a couple other groups and had to be corrected. :P

• tristanwolf

good luck all
    i got pitt small upset
    toronto
    chicago big upset
    edmonton
    colorado

lott of pitt, chi, tor stacks

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).