• bhdevault

• Lead Moderator

• Blogger of the Month

7:05 PM :  Washington ( -129 ) at  Buffalo ( 110 ) —- T: 6u-12
    7:05 PM :  Chicago ( 230 ) at  Tampa Bay ( -270 ) —- T: 6½u-20
    7:05 PM :  Toronto ( -200 ) at  Ottawa ( 175 ) —- T: 6½o-20
    7:05 PM :  Pittsburgh ( 0 ) at  Philadelphia ( 0 ) —- T: —
    9:05 PM :  St. Louis ( 120 ) at  Colorado ( -140 ) —- T: 6u-15

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – NHL strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterday’s games will be moved to yesterday’s NHL thread. Any off topic posts, troll posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted. While the use of GIF’s are acceptable, content must be posted along with them.

• Southie777

Yep, definitely saw someone mention it, of course it went in one ear and out the other for me!

• golfman1990

Giving Hoffman a shot tonight again.

• zovyn

@Zieg30 said...

I’m pretty sure Canuckage did? Led me to add a SJ2-McD-RNH lineup in the FD $33. Had a chance at the top at one point, but Karlsson’s 0 torpedoed that shot.

I must have missed it. It’s on me anyway, because I was ALL over Evander Kane. I also stupidly faded my favorite player in the NHL (McJeebus) for some inexplicable reason. And even without any Oilers I was just 1.1pts below the moneyline. Hertl was an asinine omission. :(

• cplatt87

Good luck tonight everyone. May your skaters score hat tricks and your goalies get shut outs.

• feezyg

100%Auston
    100% Eichel

• lomac

Brandon Pirri is a healthy scratch tonight vs. Tampa Bay, according to roster report.

Philipp Kurashev is in and making his NHL debut. #Blackhawks

• the_shashi

• 2019 DraftKings FHWC Finalist

This might not age well… but i’m watching the intro in Ottawa and a bunch of scrubs coming out the tunnel, half of whom won’t be in the NHL in 3-5 years lol.

Toronto 5 goals vs a LEGIT habs team. I expect an onslaught tonight.

• synth

I’m new to NHL DFS and had a small question I was hoping somebody could help me with:

I see that scoring on DK involves goalies getting points for each save and bonus points for 35+ saves. I also see that players get points for shots on goal. In other sports you never really want to use offensive players vs your defense or pitcher, but with these scoring stats it seems that it might be possible for offensive players and the opposing goalie to be positively correlated due to you wanting as many shots as possible on your goalie so you can get saves and your offensive players to take as many shots as possible.

Is this accurate at all or is that still something you want to avoid?

• BazookaDad

@the_shashi said...

This might not age well… but i’m watching the intro in Ottawa and a bunch of scrubs coming out the tunnel, half of whom won’t be in the NHL in 3-5 years lol.

Not to rain on your parade but 2 of those 5 goals vs MTL were pure luck. Toronto is overrated big time man, I am playing Matthews/Marner tonight but I think Ottawa might win, believe it or not.

• Canuckage

@synth said...

I’m new to NHL DFS and had a small question I was hoping somebody could help me with:

I see that scoring on DK involves goalies getting points for each save and bonus points for 35+ saves. I also see that players get points for shots on goal. In other sports you never really want to use offensive players vs your defense or pitcher, but with these scoring stats it seems that it might be possible for offensive players and the opposing goalie to be positively correlated due to you wanting as many shots as possible on your goalie so you can get saves and your offensive players to take as many shots as possible.

I can see this angle in a cash game but almost never works in a GPP format.

• synth

Thanks!

• OttawaCityMadman

Good night Jarry. THANKS for coming out

• Stangs13

Has anyone played much showdown for NHL? Are goalies must own? Should you have them as captains?

• Felixxberg

• 2019 DraftKings FGWC Finalist

@Canuckage said...

I can see this angle in a cash game but almost never works in a GPP format.

I think it can work in SD though. It’s counterintuitive, and I just don’t like it, but it’s different and not that dumb.

• Krausehouse

• 2020 DraftKings FHWC Finalist

@synth said...

Alternately sometimes i think i’m sneaky when i correlate a punt D with a goalie that i think is going to see a lot of rubber too. Since D get points for making saves (blocks), and the block bonus is a huge aspect of reaching value. Cheap D on the PK is something i don’t think is utilized as much as it should be.

• zovyn

FD scoring being different than DK scoring, it’s not incredibly rare for a losing goalie to outscore or come close to outscoring the winning goalie. It’s just not normal.

Luckily, Goalies aren’t usable in FD SD slates.

• Felixxberg

• 2019 DraftKings FGWC Finalist

@Stangs13 said...

Has anyone played much showdown for NHL? Are goalies must own? Should you have them as captains?

I have. A whole lot during the playoffs, and I absolutely crushed one yesterday, finishing 1st, tied 2nd, 4th, 5th, 11th, 13th and 15th for $136 in, $1475 out.

I almost always have a goalie in my lineup (100% yesterday). I almost never have both in one lineup. They’re the most popular captains though, so it’s a good idea to run them in flex instead. I actually create a lineup with a goalie captain and then pivot the captain to put my other guys there. I almost never captain a punt.

For example, I’ll do Gruby-COL1-punt-punt. I’ll run 4 of those. One with Gruby captain and one with each COL1 guy captain. Then, I’ll do Gruby-MacK-Rantanen-Makar (fade Landeskog), then Grub-MacK-Landeskog-Makar (fade Rantanen). Same strategy than the first one. I won’t fade MacK, because he’s the heart of the team and shoots a lot.

• the_shashi

@synth said...

i use it on SD sometimes just to put ballers like felixx and zieg on TILT. You would want to do it with legit goalies only though. Rolled it in the cup finals and semis for Dallas.

• zovyn

The Time Traveler and Testosterown are neck and neck in the FD Breakaway. Not gonna lie…

• synth

Appreciate the replies everyone. It’s a fun sport to try and learn

• gairz

@the_shashi said...

The scrubs are doing very well, I must say.
    ;)

• OttawaCityMadman

@gairz said...

The scrubs are doing very well, I must say.
    ;)

yep. This usually happen when Ott plays TO in a ‘big’ game. Ott will find a way to lose tho, dont worry, OT or shootout!

• Volkster6

@the_shashi said...

i use it on SD sometimes just to put ballers like felixx and zieg on TILT. You would want to do it with legit goalies only though. Rolled it in the cup finals and semis for Dallas.

I highly disagree with all my fellow form friends, and firmly agree that it is a STRONG +EV play that no one takes advantage of (Felix has the text novel I sent him about this very topic). Essentially it works better with a punt forward you expect to be lower owned, but with SOG upside (think Miles Wood for example) and a goalie you like on the slate.

Every shot now becomes 2.20 points instead of .70 for the save. And if he does score, your net is 6.50 (10 for the goal, -3.5 for the goal against).

Again, because of this new DK scoring still not being reflected in the pricing efficiency this play is a great way to combine a low owned punt and a goalie expected to see volume who should make more than 6 saves per goal allowed. Also, it’s more of a SD play (as mentioned above) so use it in GPPS and not cash in my opinion

• maibockaddict

OK. It is early in the season, I know, but I have had this suspicion for a while and it must be said…the theme or one of, so to speak, for this season, shall be….wait for it…Pick On Pittsburgh!

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

• the_shashi

serves me right for taking the leafs.

HABS for the CUP

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).