NHL FORUM

Comments

• bhdevault

• Lead Moderator

• Blogger of the Month

10:08 PM :  Ottawa ( 130 ) at  Vancouver ( -150 ) —- T: 6o-25

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – NHL strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterday’s games will be moved to yesterday’s NHL thread. Any off topic posts, troll posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted. While the use of GIF’s are acceptable, content must be posted along with them.

• Felixxberg

• 2019 DraftKings FGWC Finalist

• 2019 DraftKings FHWC Finalist

This is where playing SD every day might help!

• Jibbula

@Felixxberg said...

I’ve never really sunk my teeth into SD. Figured I’d give it a go as it’s the only game today. Do you have any general tips for roster construction on DK? Given the high total and relatively close spread, I’d almost be leaning towards not even playing a goalie. Is that ridiculous?

• ifthethunder

@Felixxberg said...

Better scheduling might have helped, too. But alas.
    ~

• hautalak

• x2

2021 Blogger of the Month

Yep time to get our Felixx on!!!

• Felixxberg

@ifthethunder said...

Better scheduling might have helped, too. But alas.
    ~

It’s very weird indeed. Huge slate during the NFL semifinals and then a one game slate.

• Southie777

I don’t envy schedule-makers trying to schedule a hockey season during a pandemic, but what the hell? One game tonight and 14 tomorrow? Makes zero sense.

• Felixxberg

@hautalak said...

Yep time to get our Felixx on!!!

Unfortunately, the main $10 contest has an extremely top heavy structure. SD has a lot of variance and the margin of error is very small. I might enter a whole lot of lineups in anyway though.

• hautalak

• x2

@Felixxberg said...

Unfortunately, the main $10 contest has an extremely top heavy structure. SD has a lot of variance and the margin of error is very small. I might enter a whole lot of lineups in anyway though.

Well you know me I’m a cellar dweller. 20 quarters for me and maybe a couple others!

• mfetzner

@Southie777 said...

I don’t envy schedule-makers trying to schedule a hockey season during a pandemic, but what the hell? One game tonight and 14 tomorrow? Makes zero sense.

also only 2 on Wednesday and then 1 on Friday this week….brutal scheduling

• cplatt87

I’ll likely just fire a single bullet in the big GPP with a super contraion lineup and leave it at that.

Agree with others that having a massive slate tomorrow with 3 small slates around it makes no sense

• Felixxberg

@hautalak said...

Well you know me I’m a cellar dweller. 20 quarters for me and maybe a couple others!

True, but I know you like to tip your toes in more expensive contests sometimes!

• hautalak

• x2

@Felixxberg said...

True, but I know you like to tip your toes in more expensive contests sometimes!

I do have a $10 ticket but that structure is just awful with a $15 min cash… struggling with NHL this year but it’s early still. The goals are out there! Just can;t find the “right” teams lol

Apparently the Stars are piggybacking off last year!!!

• Felixxberg

@hautalak said...

I do have a $10 ticket but that structure is just awful with a $15 min cash

That’s true, and some people will have 141 lineups so you’re really swimming with the sharks there.

Gotta keep grinding! Real money is in expensive contests, but getting there is a grind for sure. I grinded turbo/late/SD contests to be able to play expensive contests. When I won $4K with a $333 lineup two days ago (so 12x my investment), I also played it in the main $10 contest and only returned $60 (6x my investment). Large GPPs are close to unwinnable.

• Southie777

@mfetzner said...

also only 2 on Wednesday and then 1 on Friday this week….brutal scheduling

Ugh, hadn’t even seen that yet. Dumb.

• hautalak

• x2

@Felixxberg said...

Gotta keep grinding! Real money is in expensive contests, but getting there is a grind for sure. I grinded turbo/late/SD contests to be able to play expensive contests.

Yeah I’ve always struggled with contest selection and just try to spread it too wide. Maybe one day I’ll get it right!

• Twinchamps

Anyone else going withdrawals today with only one game on the docket? :(

• Twinchamps

Hautalak, if you play FD at all, I’d suggest the smaller $4 mini GPPs. It’s a good way to build BR and there’s a 4 entry max. Just a suggestion, we’ve all been there for sure.

• Stangs13

Felix what do you look for in your one off players in showdown. I know you like to stack lines, or pp units, but what I’ve struggled with is the last two roster spots. I feel like I’m always finishing around 20-50th with my best lineup and those last two spots are killing me.

• hautalak

• x2

@Twinchamps said...

Hautalak, if you play FD at all, I’d suggest the smaller $4 mini GPPs. It’s a good way to build BR and there’s a 4 entry max. Just a suggestion, we’ve all been there for sure.

Yeah I’ve been dabbling in FD this year. Was going good for a while until I hit a “snag” there. Mostly missed everything one of the days, then the $2.22 got me. I keep hammering those $0.05 contests though (I love those!!!). I’ll get it together.

My dumbass live bets tennis during the day and that bites me too lol

• Volkster6

I might have to swim with Felix and the other sharks tonight

• Felixxberg

@Stangs13 said...

Felix what do you look for in your one off players in showdown. I know you like to stack lines, or pp units, but what I’ve struggled with is the last two roster spots. I feel like I’m always finishing around 20-50th with my best lineup and those last two spots are killing me.

My basic strategy for SD is: goalie – full line – correlated D – opposing one-off. For the opposing one-off, I just take the best available player, but I look for floor instead of ceiling. I’ll normally take a D, but some forwards are good enough to justify taking them.

For example, tonight, I have a lot of Dadonov one-offs on one side and a lot of Benn one-offs on the other side. That’s just where I end up with salary when I build my lineups. Chabot-Zaitsev correlate well with OTT1, and Hughes-Benn with VAN1. Since it’s near impossible to have Holtby – full VAN1 – Hughes, I’ll do Holtby – full VAN1 – Benn, or I’ll do Holtby – VAN1 duo – Hughes-Benn. Same thing applies with Zaitsev and Chabot.

For the captain spot, goalie is the safest, but everyone knows that. Going with a forward or a D is better if you want to have a shot at winning and not just cashing. I just make a lineup and duplicate it to have everyone captain (except the opposing one-off, and sometimes except the punt D if I have to play one). I’ll only play the punt D captain if he’s a good D with upside, like Schultz yesterday. Benn isn’t Schultz. No need to put him captain. I have nothing against trying it though.

A very important part of SD is to look for last minute tweaks. If OTT or VAN has new lines tonight and we don’t know it before warmups, it’s an absolute gold mine and you have to take advantage of that. If, somehow, a guy like Virtanen plays on L1, you have to plug him in. If they recall someone from the taxi squad, it’s even better. If they tweak D pairs, just remember that Chabot goes with OTT1 and Hughes with VAN1. I doubt that changes even if they both lost many games already. Other D pairs aren’t much correlated with a line, so you could look for PP correlation.

Having a goalie is almost always optimal, but you have to make non goalie lineups too (if mass entering) just in case. That said, I feel like not enough people play goalies, and playing one in every lineup is an advantage. Also, you almost never need to be perfect. You just need to be better than the others. It’s not like NFL with 100K+ entrants.

Of course it’s not a guaranteed formula, and SD has the most variance of all, so don’t be surprised if a very strange lineup wins tonight, especially with so many entrants.

• Jibbula

Thanks for the insights

• Stangs13

Yep you rock Felix. Last question. Do you pretty much only play 5-1 stacks then?

• Felixxberg

@Jibbula: No problem! Not playing a goalie could be fine tonight as those teams don’t really have good defenses. It just makes it so random to try to pick who scores on each side, but I guess I would do full line – full line when possible, with everyone captain, or duo – correlated D – opposing full line, or even duo – correlated D – opposing duo – opposing correlated D.

@Stangs13: Thanks! I do, yes, except when I can find great value/misprices (then I’ll just plug the guy in every lineup). I don’t think there’s one tonight, barring any line tweak. Given that tonight could be high scoring, adding a few non goalie lineups could work, too. In that case, I suggest going with what I wrote in my answer to Jibbula. 5-1 stack without a goalie doesn’t really make sense, because you would need two lines to do better than an opposing line, but also your goalie to do bad. It’s definitely possible, but not likely. I guess full line – correlated D duo – opposing forward could work.

• Felixxberg

Damn. With Ottawa’s new lines, all 4 are playable. I guess it’ll be 100 lineups or 0.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).